You know you're a seed saver when ...

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Eveleyn

My name is Rick Corey ... and I'm a seedhead.

But, oh man, those Seed Snatchin' Divas were already far past being mere seedheads 6 years ago ... !

By now they must be so far around the bend that they can't even SEE the bend from there!
I am awestruck by their heroic example.

My favorite stroy from the threads I read was the hulking guard or worker who came out to chase one of them away from some flowers she had her eye (and clippers) on. HAH! As if! She dismissed him so completely that he could only shake his head and go back inside ... as if he knew better than to argue with crazy ladies. You go, baby!

>> You never cease to keep me entertained

Thank you ... but ... I wish!

I happen to have just left a lengthy and not-very-entertaining rant about soil in your Inbox ... at least the length of it may provoke a snort of amusement.

Corey

Houma, LA(Zone 9a)

You know you are a seed saving addict when you spend your lunch hour roaming the neighborhood around the office in search of seeds and cuttings, and then go back to work hungry but thrilled.
Just today I hauled in a load of hibiscus, camellia ,muscadine, fir, and azalea cuttings and some cypress vine seeds and canna seeds, all during my half hour lunch at work. Then sat around potting up the cuttings in front of the tv this evening. Made contact with a couple of random homeowners earlier this week, and got permission to go out Saturday and dig up some Lycoris and paperwhite bulbs. Yay!

Thumbnail by deepseas72
Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Oh WOW deepseas, is that your garden!? It looks like a fairytale!

Houma, LA(Zone 9a)

Absolutely NOT my garden. I WISH!! Just a pretty picture from the internet. My garden is much, much humbler, but I love it all the same : )

Pawleys Island, SC

Deepseas, that is my kind of lunch hour.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Gee, DeepSea .... that picture is so awesome .... now I would definitely offer my services to that garden's owner in aiding the preseration of its seed production.

MARY

Pawleys Island, SC

I wonder what it would take to get my garden to look like that? maybe Disney's horticulture team............. LOL ( in my dreams) I managed to fine purple asters, joe pye weed, and some other goodies over the weekend. It is too cold to go looking this am, but maybe by this afternoon, I can find a few more things.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

And you are standing straddle cement blocks at the N Car/S Car visitors center picking up MAGNOLIA seeds and put them in a bag and save just in case there is a seed swap. Fly Sleigh

Or you pinch Coleus and takeum home and root them from Parks

Lavina

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Oh yeah and you convince your neighbor that wwhen they go to Arizona every year its beneficial to her to bring you back Palm Tree seeds.

Lavina

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'll be bring back a number of things from Calif when I visit there with my son and grandson next May. Caster beans grow wild near his place along with alot of every else. I'm also bring back White Sage plants and reg desert sage.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

You know you are a seed-saver when you defend a friend who got burnt on a Round Robin....I am in so much trouble now...but I just told it like it was. Sometimes a gal has got to do what she has to do....

I hope I did not get you into any trouble...I mentioned no names, but everyone knows the players in this scenario.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I just sent the box on and I don't know the player so could you or the player D-mail me and explain your self.
Its not fair to accuse someone of something when you haven't been involved and only got that person's story.
Since you posted on our other thread you now have my full attention, I feel you should explain yourself.
The seed swap was for fun and to be enjoyed.

Lavina

This message was edited Dec 9, 2010 4:31 PM

Pawleys Island, SC

You know you're a seed saver when... you convince your teenage nephew to help collect daylily seeds from a welcome center.........

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

How do you get 'burnt' in a Round Robin??? And why would you be in so much trouble??? ((which RR)) You have my attention too!!

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

I think we should forget the bad times and remember the good.

This thread is about jokes for seed savers.

Dane

I apologize. I should have not said anything. Please forgive me.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Smartseeds,

>> You know you're a (deranged) seedhead when you end up in the ER after cleaning several hundred Ginkgo biloba seeds by hand (it was FUN, really!), then the next morning, your head blows up like a red balloon and itches like poison ivy.

Have you recovered from your head blowing up?
And tell the truth - have you already collected and cleaned more Ginkgo seeds?
Did you ask the ER people if THEY wanted some seeds?

Corey

Yikes! I hope your head did not really blow up! Sounds awful.

Pawleys Island, SC

Joeswife, that is funny. I can see myself doing it too.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Debra - okay, I've washed seeds but not to the point of almost catching appliances on fire! lol!!!

Pawleys Island, SC

I truly never thought about washing them in the washer though. LOL

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Rick-how did that happen? Did you tell the ER staff the truth? For sooo. long I thought I was the only one. I still don't understand what I find so enjoyable about plants but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

I love this thread. I'm LMAO and learning what not to try in the process. ☮

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Actually, it was Smartseeds who cleaned the seeds and made her head blow up. It's a little worrying that she hasn't responded ...

My dumbest ER moment was NOT going there when I had chest pains ... pulmonary embolisms ... they kept explaining as if to an idot that it WAS likely to kill me ... what do I mean, "as if"?

Corey

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok....gotta. Ask......if just by touching GINKO ....WHAT in the wide wild of gardening "sports" can it do for me for....."HOUSEKEEPING"? '*LOL*

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

you put your hand into the mail slot and feel a package ...
and get all excitied because you think it's a seed swap that arrived early ...
then you're disapointed because it's "only" the blood thinner and blood pressure meds that you're running out of.

Corey

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Awwwww..... gee, I am glad u got your meds, tho. Shall I send you a bag of this mess?

Thumbnail by joeswife
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

You save seedheads even after you've gotten all the seeds out? Me too!

-----
you save the seedheeads even AFTER you've pulled out all the seeds.
-----

After all, you might have missed one or two!

(Now I wish I'd named the thread "You might be a Seedhead if ...")

Corey

I think I might be slipping a notch in the Seedhead category, i throw away the seed heads. (head hung down, shoulders scrunched at this admission)

My problem is sometimes I don't label the bag right away. I always say I will know what they are....hahaha...I flunk on getting a "A" in the seedhead category! (That is with the seedheads still on....LOL!!)

i had several of those bags this year. never did figure out what they are, so will find out when i plant them next year. learned the hard way i must carry a marker at all times.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> sometimes I don't label the bag right away.

How well I know that one! Seeds, plants, bulbs, poof goes the memory about ten seconds after the fingers let go of the thing. Fully as reliably as "I'll put this here so I CAN"T forget where I left it." ("CAN'T" forget means "WILL" forget.)

My latest variation was to think that, because at the time I was only starting only ONE variety of Delpinium, it was enough to label the pots "D".

How many days later did another pretty Delpinium picture on a seed pkt follow me home?
Did I re-label the "D" pots to something unambiguous?
Did the fine print on the second pots fade instantly?
I guess I'm lucky the slugs promptly ate every above-ground trace of both batches.

I think they should strip off my Seedhead insignia and break my clippers in half.

Corey

Yes! We need markers in our pockets at all times...just make sure the cap stays on, and you take it out before you toss the pants or jacket into the wash! LOL!!

I just found some seeds while I was cleaning, that were promised to others....it seemd to difficult to keep track of things these days....

You know you are a seed-saver/seedhead when you already have more seeds than you can possibly sow and have just got new seeds, and are still looking at websites to see if there is any seed you still *need*!! YIKES!!LOL!!

Pawleys Island, SC

I just did that. I went through every seed catalog I have and several sites and discovered a list of seeds to order even though I have more than I can plant and not nearly enough room to plant everything I have.

You know you are an out of control seed saver/head when you finally organize your seeds and discover you have already purchased several items that are on your want list. sigh.....could have planted them this year now have to wait till spring for most.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, we're bad, we're bad, we're really really bad.

I would try to work up a 12-step program but no one seems to really wnat to get better.

The last few steps would have to be:

8. Make amendments with compost and shredded leaves.
9. Buy even more seeds
10. Plant them out
11. Harvest them
12. Trade them for EVEN MORE SEEDS

Maybe we should pattern it after confession:

"Bless me, father, for I have seeds.
It has been 4 days since my last seed swap.
These are my seeds:
..."

Then we would list all our HAVES and WANTS, swap some seeds with the priest, "snatch" some more from plants in the church parking lot go home and plant some more ...

Corey

I love it ! especially the confession

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I think it's good to have something a LITTLE naughty I can feel guilty about. It "gets it out of my system" without having to rob a bank or invade the Sudetenland.

I learned that from my cat, who periodically has to be express his dominance or bad-boy-ness by doing something he shouldn't. I scold him, he feels bold and bad, and he feels better. It have to stifle snickers as he runs away, his posture and tail telegraphing how proud he is to get away with such rascality despite my pitiful attempt to rein in his naughtiness.

I worked out some things to forbid that aren't damaging or harmfull. He can break those rules without burning the house down. As long as I act shocked enough and horrified enough and scold him hard enough, it serves the same purpose as knocking over china or bleeding mice on the rug.

I wonder if he wakes up some days and thinks "I better be naughty today. Poor old Rick probably needs to scold someone to feel as if He's In Charge".

I swear that cats go to Cute School while we're away at work.

Corey

Claremont, CA(Zone 9b)

SmartSeeds is alive and well (though the Smart part is in question.)

I did it again.

This time, I cleaned almost all the seeds with thick rubber gloves, (which is hardly satisfying, but prudent). I did touch one that was escaping down the garbage disposal. One.

The next day my head blew up again.

My assistant insists it was because I touched one seed. I think there's some other explanation (as yet undetermined), but I'm not touching them again.

A seed dealer in Korea says that farmers there put Ginkgo fruit in nets at the edge of a river and let the water wash them clean. Good idea, only I don't have my own river.

The point isn't that some seeds can be irritating or even toxic. (I'm concerned about that load of Datura seeds that went through the wash....) It's that we love fiddling with these little buggers so much that we don't care. I can BUY Ginkgo seeds. I can clean them wearing a hazmat suit. But it's just not as fun as taking each pod apart and admiring how it's put together, how beautifully the fruit was designed to tempt critters to carry it away, or to float and spin on the wind, or stick to someone's socks.

Some people collect stamps. Some collect seashells. They may pretend there's some practical purpose, but most end up in a drawer like our seeds. We're magpies, collecting for the pure joy of it.

At least stamps don't bite back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.