Morning Glories 2010 # 22

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Becky, love your dark purpureas, very pretty.

Karen, thanks for that explanation. Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking
they all looked feathered. :-)

(Zone 7a)

Emma, that's the same link I posted above; I edited my remarks here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8212057 .
-----------------------------------

What a gorgeous hige - thank you for posting that one. I can see petals that seem "cut", but not sure I see any feathering. Could you post a sideways picture? Emma, might you have a picture of a hige without feathers? Do higes exist that do not have feathering? I think the bhotan mutant of I. nil is double, without feathering; but I don't know if there is a purpurea hige without feathering - would love to know.

Becky, I think the term feathered can be applied to any species where it occurs.

Patootie, it's amazing the different places I have seen feathering - on the petal edges of Dianthus superbus; Silene maritima; Primula sieboldii - wouldn't be surprised to see it in chrysanthemums or marigolds either; and there's a double, green-flamed yellow daffodil that might have some feathering that's been around in this country since the 1700s, I think...it came from Europe that got it from where? Funny this topic should come up now - have been wondering about feathering lately - love the snowflake effect on petal edges :)

Emma, thanks for chiming in - hope you do again.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 7:56 AM

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Karen,

I have taken lots of photos of my HGE Red-White Flaked Shibori, but have not gotten back to organizing photos yet. So, I'd have to go through all of the photos. It does have feathered behind the petal - so I can post that when I post photos again.

I do not believe I have ever had a HIGE that wasn't feathered on the back. However, I have had I. purpurea Split Petals that had feathered backs and some that did not

For now, here is another of my *New* Higes

Deep Dark Purple Crushed Velvet

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Back Side

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

One more

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Thank Emma!

Jackie looks like you and I thought the same thing...that hige and feathered looked the same.

Karen in Japanese hige can mean beard or bearded.

(Zone 7a)

deleted useless verbage - see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8212057

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 7:59 AM

szarvas, Hungary

Emma your bearded or feathered are beautiful.
Can we say that every single purpurea have his double or feathered ?

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2010/11/14/EmmaGrace/3c7646.jpg
That's the double of Star of Yelta or Kniola's Black ?

Some are totally sterile and yours?
I have a few purpurea feathered with lobed leaves.

Yes beautiful blooms Emma. The dark purple is lovely but I'm partial to the pink
feathereds.
Karen, thank you. At least I see now that I can continue to call them all feathered and
not be wrong lol. I think the feathereds are extra beautiful, the prettiest bloom to come
along in a long time.

Edited to say Ronnie I almost missed your post. Glad you saw the Higes and Nils all
feathered as I did.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 2:42 PM

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

The I. purpureas that I have growing and blooming outdoors currently are interesting. Some are the small round pom-pom blooms like these.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

One vine has this type of bloom that is a hige, but it has some feathers under the main bloom.

Then I have this white Gypsy Bride bloom that is larger.

These are larger blooms too and the petals are not as tightly bound as the pom-pom blooms of similar color.

This must be Sunrise Serenade. Larger bloom also.

And this is the triple feathered dark pink that I got from a gentleman in Louisiana. This reminds me of triple petals! Beautiful!!! One of my favorite hige/feathered I. purpureas.

I really like this Flaked I. purpurea vine. Love the colors. A little different by my eye than the Purple Flaked that I have grown. More pink in these blooms.

Here is a more pinkish bloom on the same vine! Really neat! I love these kind of surprises! :-)

Here's one more hige photo. You can see the pink at the base of the bloom and then it extends out into a pale bluish color. Quite attractive!

I don't usually grow this many I. purpureas! I'm glad this year that I am! I am truly enjoying these sweet little blooms!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

How pretty. All of them!

This one must be Black Kniola! I love how dark the color is with that white glowing throat! Definitely an eye-catcher!

Thanks, Debra! Are you growing any I. purpureas indoors this winter?

Incredible blooms Becky. Love all of them especially posts ending 4011 and 4007.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Very nice Becky, I love the purpureas!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Lurking...me too! Love that pink one #4007

Pretoria, South Africa

Love the Higes. One can't help to smile whrn they great you in the morning...

Gautier, MS

I agree, gorgeous blooms Becky!!

Thanks everyone! I definitely am becoming a fan of the I. purpurea higes. They really are quite attractive blooms! I have a flaked (solid shaped bloom) that has the lighter lavender colors in the stripes. I got a neat photo of 3 blooms on that vine this morning and will try to post the photo later tonight when I get home from work.

I am just amazed at how well the I. purpureas do, even with the few cold blasts we've had over the past 3 weeks. I. nils wouldn't be as tolerant. Why I didn't think of growing I. purps and I. tricolors in late summer/fall before ... just glad that the rust forced me to look "outside the box" at other MG species to grow during this season. I. nils are still my absolute favorite MG species, but the I. purpureas have their own charm, too! :-)

Here is the three pretty blooms of that lavender flaked purpurea vine. I love the flaked blooms! Too bad the I. purpureas don't have speckled blooms. I'd have me a ball crossing those two if there was such a cultivar! LOL!

I do actually have one cultivar of I. nil growing outside. Volunteer vines in the pot in the birdbath! You guessed it! The weeping Sidare vines! The cold spell burned the leaves and left the vine looking less than pristine, but the blooms still seem to be showing their pretty heads! Sidare is a tough cookie! Gotta love it for it's unusual habit of growing downward instead of up! :-)

This message was edited Nov 16, 2010 8:14 PM

Nice flaked blooms Becky. The Sidare is really pretty, great color.

Jackie - Thank you! I sent you some seeds of Sidare! :-) Ya gotta grow that one in a hanging basket next year! You'll love how different it is! I got the biggest kick out of it! Never grew a MG that weeped. Quite neat! :-)

That is really cool. I like the "weeping " and the "mounding" plants a lot.

oh my gosh, I am so excited, like a parent expecting first born.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Thanks, Debra! Ooooh! Your buds look like they are ready to open! Can't wait to see all those blooms on that vine! Wouldn't bloom outside, but will be putting on a show in your closet! Go figure! Glad you get to enjoy it indoors in all it's blooming splendor! :-)

Becky, I do hope to grow one of the Sidare, a lovely Morning Glory

Debra, Your Stictocardia buds look great, hope we get to see a pic tomorrow.

To our new thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1141430

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 1:04 AM

Mesilla Park, NM

Just had to add this here:

Becky, you have had great success with the higes, I sure hope you get some seeds there... I got a few I. nil feathered in with the regular two years ago, but the higes bit the dust ... litterally, got dust and whitefly..lol

You have some there that have not been shown, so you may have some neat "NEW" crosses, keep posting those photos..

I agree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.