Morning Glories 2010 # 22

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice Jamie lynn Debra

Welcome ge1836 you will find tons of them to fall in love with here.
You should go check out some of the old threads and take a look at the most
Beautiful blooms around.

Thumbnail by rh3708
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Here is another from Becky's cross. It looks feathered to me. Do nils feather? I thought it was only pupurea.

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes

That bloom is Beautiful Ronnie.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra - Pretty blooms. Love the photo of the butterfly! Nice one!

Jackie - Did you get a LOT of seeds from your hige vine or just a few? I ask because I am not seeing a single hige seed pod. :-( I've even tried hand-pollinating them, but there once again appears to be NO pollen on those vines. This has been a weird year for seeds for me...

Ge - Welcome to the forum!

Robbie - Nice bloom photo!

Ronnie - I had several I. nils that were split petals and actually looked like feathered/hige blooms this year... or more precisely the "peony" type blooms. Silver Wolf, Blue Speckles (F1), and one other one (can't think of which one right now). They looked similar to the I. purpurea hige blooms, only much larger!

(Zone 7a)

Hi Luvs,

There's some interesting feathering going on in some of those antique MG prints from Edo Japan in Dr.Yoneda's website - the following ones look like they're either thinking about feathering (or totally feathered), same as yours here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8166125

To newbies -
Go to the MG sticky index and click on Dr. Yoneda's website here: http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/menu.html

Then go to Image Archives in lower left corner and click on Old Pictures: http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/slides/slide068-079.html

The following have "feathering" in different stages, and all of these belong to the specie Ipomoea nil -

row 1, 3rd from left - 12th Fig
row 2, middle - "feathering" at middle - 38th Fig.
row 4, 1st from left - Fig 14

There may be others, but I'm running out of time for now. The thing is, Luvs, isn't it interesting that those genes for feathering are still running around in the vines we are growing where we have a chance of offspring looking like the parents, unlike those mutants with feathering and doubling that require attention to fertile plain and nonfertile fancy flowers over 2 or 3 generations?

Another interesting aspect to feathering in nils comes up in Karen-05's blog here - http://sites.google.com/site/japanesemorningglorydatabase/home/morning-glory-booms-2010 . Scroll down to her section entitled, "Japanese Morning Glory Mutant Double". Notice how she gets a double nil (duplicate gene?) from a willow-dianthus nil (maple gene?) which I seem to recall is feathered. Since we're on the subject of feathers in our nils, here - does anyone know how closely related the duplicate and maple genes are? Or how they relate in terms of recessive, dominant and combining from one generation to the next?

I need to come back after I've done some research - very interesting post, Luvs - thank you.

karen-blue

to newbies - Here is the link to Atenkley's explanation of what MG mutants are. Their manner of propagation is part of what they are. For pictures of them, refer to the link above in Dr. Yoneda's website.
--------------------------

ge1836 - welcome to the MG forum - it's nice to have you aboard :) Aren't those mutant MGs incredible? They were bred by the Japanese in the early 1800s, lost during wars and earthquakes, but saved by private gardens in other parts of the world, in many cases.
--------------

Robbie, Jackie, Debra, Becky and anyone I may be leaving out - gorgeous MGs, as always

karen

I wonder if it is the inter-breeding that causes the peony/hige blooms?

Karen - I hope your research unravels some of the mystery and odds of getting those hige I. nils.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone.
I will try to keep up with pix altho I have only grown 2 MG in my life.
Last season they were free in a cereal box.
This season I grew Grampa Ott. It went up to the top of the spruce.
Hope I can handle plants that tall.
Glad to be here.

Thank You Karen

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I have the plant inside, maybe I'll get lucky and get a few seeds!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Becky, Looks like I'm going to get a lot of sds. I went out and marked some of the pods so I wouldn't get the hige and the Crimson Rambler seed pods mixed up.
This one loved being in the ground even though the spot was extra dry.
Wish you could have a good yr for seed production.

Thanks Karen.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Ronnie, that is so pretty. Karen, I can always depend upon you to give some good references. It is nice to know where to go.
Jackie, I grew out my blue jishi x ten ten from Beckys seed she sent me winter before last, I planted some of my grow outs, in this shower caddy, they bloomed and I brought it in for fear of freezing early.. here are the seed pods of it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Nice ripe sd pods Debra. What kind of temps are you having there
in Kansas?

high 40s to low 50s nights and high 70s days.. one day last week made it up to 86, tho.
STicto gets the whole closet downstairs, hubby says if we have a tornadoe we go in and it comes out LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

still kicking here, letting this one go to seed. ( I hope it has time)

My Angel Trumpets are just blooming away now.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Norfolk, VA

Here is my 3 way cross, almost done blooming. It's now just a memory.

Thumbnail by MGMan
Norfolk, VA

And here is the massive jar of seeds from that one plant. Incredible!!!!

Thumbnail by MGMan

Debra, Our temps are pretty much the same here.
Beautiful mild days we're enjoying. This could go on for months as far as I'm
concerned and we could just skip winter. lol

Pretty Blue Star

Norfolk, VA

Here are some blooms from my Early call blue x large-flowered red F2 grow-out.

This one is a light blue.

Becky- nice flying saucers and double hinge purpureas. I never get tired of them:-)

Thumbnail by MGMan
Norfolk, VA

This one is a royal blue

Thumbnail by MGMan

nice blues there.. love blues/a lot!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice

Mesilla Park, NM

Very nice to see the Early Call mix blooming.

Becky, those photos are outstanding, I think I said that somewhere already..

Very nice higes robbie, I hope you get seeds from them too.

I've got a couple of blooms today from my indoor growouts and they both have reversed tubes... for the life of me, I don't know why. They are Chocolate Rose, but look more like a Chocolate Picotee Rose. I thought that they were having trouble opening yesterday, but, today they opened up completely and have the inverted tubes.. I'll take photos later this morning.

Hope all your flowers continue to bloom for all of you as long as they can.

Welcome ge1836, there are several members in your zone that have lots of experience, so hopefully they will chime in with advice for you.

A.

Thanks, y'all!

ge - Glad you are enjoying everyone's blooms! Are you getting any more blooms on your vine?

Tony - Wow! That is a LOT of seeds! Holy cow!!! Your vine was amazing this year! Pretty blue blooms as well on your other vines!

Debra - Ahhhh ... love the indoor greenroom! I see you are getting all the plants nice and cozy in there! Love seeing your indoor blooms as well! :-) Very cool!

A - You have to try growing some higes this coming Spring! The ones I've been growing this year have been beautiful! I just wish they would produce some seeds for sharing! (sigh) Seems to be the story of my life...

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh Becky, I don't have good luck with higes... I did get two or three feathered Nils.. I saw that you guys mentioned it somewhere here.

They are really nice too, although the feathered nils are way larger than the purpurea higes, they are much prettier to me maybe because they don't look so fragile.. (in my area the higes dry up like they are dehydrated and look like they are singed with the heat.

I'll give them a try in a different area that will have more humidity and keep it more wet. I think that is the problem I have with them.. too hot and dry here.

A.

Could you grow them in late summer/early fall. That is what I am doing this year. They don't do well for me in summer here. Only during the cooler months! Sounds like you have the same problem growing I. purpurea higes as I do.

Mesilla Park, NM

Once the Studio goes up, I'll plant them in a protected area around there somewhere, it is taking longer than we thought.

That might work for you! Good idea!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Becky :everything here has had too mucg cold. MG's dried up a month ago. I am pulling vines out of the tree just today.

Gautier, MS

I was surprised to find buds this morning on this mg vine which I forgot the name of and even more surprised to see the blooms opened this afternoon since it was a chilly morning!! A late bloomer for sure!

Thumbnail by helenahkh

ge - Sorry to hear about your vines.

Helena - Oh! How pretty those little yellow blooms are!!! Nice to see some more blooms even with winter fast approaching! ♥

Those are adorable!

Love your yellow blooms Helena. The yellows are my favorites

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We are due for several days in the 30's. That should finish off everything.
Nastuers vines are white but still many blooms.
MG's are completely gone.

I was using the wrong terminology re Higes and feathereds. Thanks for the nice way everyone explained that Purpurea's are Higes and Nils are feathered. lol I hope I
can remember.
Found this bloom today after finding this sprouted under a bench in Sept., a volunteer.
Saw the only bloom a couple of weeks ago which looked like Mauve Splash. Now I
don't know what it looks like, oh well it's a bloom :-)

Thumbnail by patootie
(Zone 7a)

Hi Patootie,

Sorry about the confusion with regard to feathering in vines of Ipomoea nil and Ipomoea purpurea.

Remember when Ronnie asked if nils can be feathered, as well as purpureas in this post? - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8166125

I noodled around with her question and came up with cases where some nils were feathered in this post - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8166221 .

The reason Ronnie's question made me so curious was that Ipomoea purpurea hige vines are known for being feathered. See this post - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/701809/ .

So, we can apply the adjective, 'feathered', as easily to nils as we can to purpureas as to chickens as to folks getting tarred and feathered whose opinions have irked those of opposite opinions down through the ages of mankind.

lol

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

So are Hige and Feathered the same thing in ones opinion of course?

Jackie - Oooh! What a nice blooming surprise! I wished I had a greenhouse! I have a lot of tropical plants and am concerned what I am going to do if we get another cold winter like we did last year. Everything is in containers, so I guess I will be doing a LOT of moving plants into and out of my garage! Ugh! What I don't do for the hummingbirds and butterflies! LOL!

Karen - I always thought that "feathered" or "hige" was just a description of the petalbloom shape on any given MG regardless of what species it is. Shows how much I know! LOL! Didn't the word "hige" come from Japan?

I gotta tell ya ... The weather here has been wonderful! I spent the late part of the afternoon potting up some hummingbird nectar plants. I continued working until after dark (8 pm) and boy was it divine! Low 60's! My kinda weather! :-)

I'm trying to get a bird bander to come to my home to band my hummingbirds. Ruby-throats are typically known to migrate. But I swear mine are year round residents here. I alway have the 2 females around my feeders and blooms except for a brief time in late Spring/early Summer. I think they are nesting and caring for babies at that time. I have been watching the aerial fighting going on lately as the migrating hummers come through on their way to Miami. (Or wherever they are going.) My females have been guarding their territories relentlessly and trying to chase off other hummers that want to make a pit stop to eat at the feeders or plants! LOL!

Anyway, a little off topic for the moment. Here is one of my I. purpurea vines with blooms.

Thumbnail by beckygardener
(Zone 7a)

Quoting Ronnie, "So are Hige and Feathered the same thing..." http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8211781

Ronnie to go from Ron's commentary posted above* on hige's to establishing an unequivocal identity between hige and feathered is something I can't do. Everyone's experiences as posted further down this thread, including my own, only show the existence of feathered higes, but, in my limited opinion, that doesn't prove that any unfeathered higes are impossible.

So, since I think my following posts only muddled this question, I'm going to delete them and refer back to this post. I think Ron's post does lay some groundwork for future understanding and classification as we learn more about these gorgeous higes, even if not, perhaps, here.

* Ron's link again - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/701809/ - scroll down to where he begins, "The hige refers to a bearded type and the feathered seems to be analagous or synonymous with a bearded..."

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 7:52 AM

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

here is a link where Ron explains a lot about
Higes,Feathered,SplitPetals,Multipetals and SunriseSerenade
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/701809/?hl=Ron Sun...

Emma

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.