(48 votes, 23%)
Red dot

Frost? What's that?
(48 votes, 23%)
Red dot

We've already had snow!
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

I'm south of the Equator and Spring is here!
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(Zone 7a)

We had one or two light frosts in August.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

August! What can you grow outside?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh my, frost in August?

(Zone 7a)

Yes and then we jumped right back to 90º+. We had minimal leaf damage, mostly to very tender plants.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Have only had three mornings with light frost since I moved to Ft Lauderdale in 1990. Two of the three mornings were back in January of this year.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

We had our second frost last night. Helps make the colors really pop. For most of the summer, we had little to no rain and were about 9" below normal (watched as storms went all around us) until the tropical storm hit a few weeks ago.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Same as plantladylin.....will eventually get frost but not in the near future. Enjoying warm days in the 80's and nights in the low 60's for the most part. Nice that the humidity is not as extreme as it was this summer. I am enjoying evenings on my back screened porch!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Frost is predicted for the NC mountains this weekend, but not here in Charlotte. I've pulled everything that's "frost sensitive" and am ready for cooler days. It's been one hot summer!

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Nooo, no frost here. Maybe around Christmas. Here, we're still in the upper 80's and low 90's. Maybe cool off to 65 at night, but that's not even enough to need a light jacket for in the morning. Still in my tank tops and shorts, with shoes and no socks. Yea!!! I love winter in the south.

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Further update. Today plus three celsius, sleeting, and blowing a gale.

(Zone 7a)

Update here, too. We had frost the last 2 nights.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Denver, United States

Ugly, kwanjin!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We're talking frost and freezes and I just now found these two fine fat fellas plus two more of their siblings amid my parsley. :-)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Carole, sure hope those black swallowtail caterpillars and their siblings make it through the winter!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I've only had a light frost. WHOOO HOOOO there still be dahlias ^_^ Our weather has been out of whack too this season. Alot more rain than our dry climate usually gets so my drought tolerant plants kaboomed and flopped. I am going with cages and hoops next year just in case it happens again as most beds look like extreme bad hair days :(

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

This is the week that we usually have our first light frost, but so far so good! I still have big unripe figs on my trees, so I hope frost is delayed a couple more weeks.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I found out from someone on the Butterfly forum that my BST cats will crawl off and make their chrysalis before bad weather sets in and then emerge next Spring as adults. If I were to feed and contain them or find any of the chrysalids, I could pin them to a fence in the morning sun in a semi-protected location and watch the process. So interesting! I learned much on the bf forum yesterday.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2010 5:47 AM

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

When I lived in Virginia, my DH made me a butterfly house to put caterpillars in when they got nice and fat and they formed their chrysalis on the screen and hung out all winter. In the spring they emerged into beautiful black swallowtails, and as soon as their wings were dry and they were flying around, my granddaughter and I let them go. It was a cold winter and they did just fine!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Cool. I just found another one so that makes 5 fine fat fellows now in the parsley. We may have to order out. LOL.

Note to self: get butterfly house.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

weatherdude says Jack will be smacking hard tonight. O well it was been a fantabulous season and Ive been looking forward to Tuber Time feasting ^_^

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

We had frost in August, September, October and yesterday morning when I got up everything was white, most of it melted by afternoon.

Steller's Jay waiting for his peanuts looked cold sitting in the snowy tree.

Thumbnail by mcash70
Denver, United States

Most excellent photo, mcash!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Terrific photo!

Enter it in the photo contest, which should be here in the next few weeks.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, it's a beautiful picture!

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Gorgeous photo mcash70!
We'll be getting snow soon and our blue jays, squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits simply love us for feeding them every winter.

Here's our lovely wabbit that loves to eat my garden delicacies.
Naughty wabbit!

Thumbnail by TPNursery
Denver, United States

Looks like rabbit stew to me!

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my photo.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No frost here yet. Normally would have killing frost by October 10. Very light frost a couple mornings, but didn't hurt anything, not even Impatiens!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Sounds like we're about the same Bernie. We've had a couple of light frosts, but those were a couple of weeks early. (I still have cannas and roses blooming) We don't usually get the killing frost till sometime in November. I've been able to collect a Thanksgiving bouquet for our table many years.

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

We had a light dusting of snow last week, but it was gone in a few hours. After last winter's record snowfall, and summer's record high temperatures came what must be a near record berry crop. The rowans were particularly spectacular - a symphony in yellow and red. However a few days ago hugh flocks of waxwings appeared. It took them a few hours only to completely strip the two large trees in our garden. However, they are such delightful birds that I can forgive them.

(Zone 7a)

That must have been quite a sight!

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Yes it was. Our local hospital poses a problem for them. It is surrounded by rowans, which are reflected in the windows. Every day of the annual waxwing invasion they pick up a dozen or so dead birds which have into the windows!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

We had an unexpected frost last night. My brugmansia looks a little sad for it. And the flowers on my dahlias are droopy. But everything else seems unaffected.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

We have definitely had frost! The first killing frost came November 6th in my yard.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

We've had 3 inches over the weekend and now another 6 inches of snow on Monday.
Went snow shoeing in the Sierras with friends. Lovely afternoon!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.