October's cooling...Ahhhhh...

(Zone 7a)

Time for a new thread. We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126960/

Hot here again but not too bad. 86º.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2010 5:03 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

October came in bright & sunny, a bit cool, 50º.
Fall is the best weather in MN. Lots of "Indian summer" days.

We are working on the siding on the house, expanding the chicken barn, & of course doing the day to day things. Market runs through October.

Ordered chicks for October 21 delivery. 300 this year. We kept running out of eggs all summer!

Flood waters are going down & things getting back to normal. Many farmers were out harvesting yesterday. Yields are very good, I hear. Maybe some will get their wife a new kitchen!

Have a Great Day!
Bernie

(Zone 7a)

It sounds like all day, everyday is your "busy time of the year", Bernie. LOL I could not keep up with you. You always have something.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Warm still, mid to high 70s for a high. Tomorrow will be a cool day. High in the low 60s and in some places a chance of frost tomorrow night.

Tomorrow I have to get a couple mums and asters planted before it gets too cold. Can't put them off any longer. lol. Also have alliums to get in the ground along with jack in the pulpits. I hope I find time for all them!! LOL

My cat Little Guy aka Curly sleeping. He's so cute when he's asleep. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Celia, thanks for starting a new thread. Great picture!
Pepper, Curly is so cute!
Bernie, you sure are busy! Glad the flood waters are going down.

It's very cold here for this time of year, only 51F=10C this morning. Only 6C=44F last night, so I've turned on the furnace. I'm going to rest more this week-end, but still have to plant some bulbs and sow grass seeds. Things are going back to normal for me too!
I've uploaded the pics from the baptism, already posted it on the other site. Here's the link to the album :

http://picasaweb.google.ro/adinamiti/BotezNicholas?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaAjYjY_c3fCg#

Look what I got from my DD's town : magnolia grandiflora seeds!!!!! I've already sown them all.

Adina

This message was edited Oct 2, 2010 3:31 AM

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

49° with a high of 59°. N winds at 17 mph and partly cloudy. I'm glad I mowed after all! Sounds like a good day to make freezer food!

I'm behind :o)

Marsue, the Mums are going to be gorgeous color! My neighbor bought annuals to pop into pots when other annuals died back. Since I watered for her this week, I also deadheaded them. A lot of new buds are going to pop open for her!

Sunfarm. you're on my mind everyday, but I keep forgetting to say so here. I've not forgotten you!! I am praying hard that the treatments work. (((((BIG GENTLE HUG)))))

Tropic, Wow... Wow... Wow... It's that or burst into hysterical laughter at the chain of events! I've never quite heard a weather story like that :o) Good luck to you and the poor plants that came tumbing down!

Adina, another perfect picture for your desk! It's so beautiful!! He is absolutely going to be a leading man! What a gorgeously handsome guy and I love how he has changed to wanting to face everyone. He's a special little guy!

Celia, thanks for the new thread! Pretty clematis seedhead! So soft and feathery :o)

Bernie, what a great amount of chicken poop! LOL! You could compost the extra, bag it and sell it at market. I would buy it! You are incredibly busy as usual. I'm glad the flood waters are down.

Pepper, you'll get it done :o) Curley is adorable!

Adina, get your rest first! Youve had a busy time mentally and physically! Ohh, what pretty seeds! I see a magnolia hedge in your future :o)

I will get to your pictures!!

Have a good day all!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

A Farewell to Friends!

Friends, my subscription to DG will expire soon, and I have decided
not to renew it. DG has given me many positive times, but at this point I
need to concentrate on finding “my place in the sun”. If any of you, ever
need my assistance in any way or just wish to talk of the current years crops
please e-mail me at:

dyson.deaton@gmail.com

(Zone 7a)

Ooooohhh... sorry to see you go. You're always interesting.

I agree with Celia. Your posts are always interesting and infomative. Will miss you on here!!

Coolish here today. High of only 59.

Spent a couple hours at The Wall That Heals this morning. It was a very emotional thing for us. We didn't expect the impact that we felt when we stood in front of the wall and saw all the names on there. There were exhibits set up with letters, which I couldn't read cause I started crying, and memorials to honor fallen soldiers. I have pics which I hope to get on here tomorrow.

All of you Veterans and those of you still in the Armed Forces, God Bless you and Thank You for your service. It is truely appreciated by me and my family.

(Zone 7a)

Oh, dear. You've made ME cloud up. What a wonderful place and experience that must have been.

noonamah, Australia

Not cooling here though. We're getting close to mid spring. Also getting close to when the sun will be directly overhead. At least there has been some rain, although the rainfall has been much higher than normal for this time of year. From a September average of zero, or close to that, there's been 84.2 millimetres (3.31 inches) at my place. The wet season officially starts 1st October.

The overnight minimum temperature was 23.8C (74.8F), the maximum today was 36.7C (98.1F). Heat index today reached 45.4C (113.7F). Didn't make it easy for me clearing up the fallen tree and coconut palms, and that wasn't helped by my chainsaw playing up. It still looks like I've hardly moved anything, unless you look where I'm piling the debris up.

Out in the garden today this little fella jumped up onto my leg.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

Still coolish but warmer. In the mid 60s and sunny for a high. Slight breeze. Chance of isolated frost again tonight.

This is a memorial set up at the exhibit.

Would help to remember to post the pic. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Tropic, he has side flaps! LOL He's neat looking. We get to see Spring through your eyes now as we head into Fall.

We had a great weekend here. Cooler temps and a slight breeze. We had some clouds move in today and we should get some rain soon.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

37° with a high of 64° Plentiful sunshine. Winds light and variable. It was chilly all day yesterday. I was only out long enough to dump peelings on the compost pile. I baked two large mutant squash and stuffed peppers. Most of it's for the freezer. Boy, miss a day and it feels like a week.

Another chilly day here. I picked all the squash the other day and now need to wash and sort. I saw borer holes in a few. They all look good for being volunteers!

Dyson, you will be missed! I hope your ''place in the sun'' is close by. (((BIG HUGS)))

Pepper, a very moving wall. I can imagine the immenseness of all the names.

Celia, I ditto that feeling.

Tropic, and this is winter? I wish my spring was just around the corner! It will be interesting to see how your rainy season goes. Smiling over the debris pile. One ''bite'' at a time and it will be done :o) We don't see many mantis. Last one I saw was last year and it was eating a cicada. Kind of an eeeew moment.

Oh Pepper, the memorial is so sad and the wall is too long.

Celia, he has hair, LOL! My, but he's a bit ugly!

Our new laminate floor is done. Winter Oak as opposed to the gold and white squares we had since 1984. I will say THAT floor help up pretty good for a ''middle of the price'' linoleum.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Just popping in to say "hi". I'm here in Branson, MO for a few days--will go down to Harrison, AR to my DD's on Wed and be there till next Monday.

No time to comment on everything but just want to say to Adina:
I enjoyed all the photos of the baptism. Nicholas was very handsome in his new white suit! It was interesting to see how the baptism is done in Romania and Switzerland and to learn about the traditions you have in the Catholic church regarding baptism.

Dyson: farewell to you and best wishes. We will miss your dry sense of humor.

Pepper: it must have been quite an experience to see the wall. I'm sure it was very sobering to see all those names.

This is the weather where I am right now--perfect! :

# Today: Plentiful sunshine. High 66F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 37F. Winds light and variable.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Dyson I hate to see you go!!! I wrote down your email addy :)

Pepper thanks for sharing your experience.

LOL Side Flaps!!

Mau hope your having a great time in Branson, and at DD!

We have cooled off considerably. It got up to 70* yesterday with some pretty good winds, last night the wind died and it got down to 40*!!! Today's high is supposed to be 71*. Luvin It!!

(Zone 7a)

BP, we've named him 'Spike'. I see them now and then but don't know what they are.

MUCH cooler today but headed for a warm day. 81º for the high and rain coming. I can smell it.

"Chewing the fat with a friend."

Thumbnail by kwanjin
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sorry to see you go, Dyson. You know that "Dyson dark" will live on in the DG folklore.

Today is 45 degrees cooler than last week at this time. We even had some half-hearted precipitation.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 04, 2010
63 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 57 °F
Wind: Calm

I've got some series of pictures that might be of interest to someone.
hiking in the rain http://cubits.org/dayhikes/thread/view/37285/
historic Olivas Adobe http://cubits.org/kellifornia/thread/view/37153/

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Finally figured out the strange noise in my pickup. It shuttered on the way home, so I limped along on back roads. It is something in the drive shaft. Lucky I got home with it. A least now we know what to fix.
I bought a huge load of stuff. Some sheeting for the chicken barn & insulation. Chicken feed. And some cedar boards for trim around the front door of the house. We got a gable & the remaining part of one side done yesterday. Sure looks nice when done. My son took the chimney off on Saturday, so that won't leak anymore.
Our chicken barn is a double corn crib. We had an area insulated last year for the baby chicks, but it only holds 100. We have 300 ordered, so we are sheeting up & insulating the remaining side.
Next spring we are going to put steel roofing on as the old wood shingles are pretty bad & leaking all over. It is a very well built building & still very sturdy so worth putting some money into it. It is 2 stories high, so what was overhead grain bins will be turned into storage.
It will be the only original building left on the place other than the house.

Got some of the potatoes out of the ground this morning. Still pretty wet. Helpers said they tossed quite a few that were beginning to rot. We got enough for this weeks market, so will try again on Thursday.

Nice things are starting to slow down a bit.
Bernie

Still coolish but slowly warming up again.

A woman's leather vest honoring vets.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

38° Dyson Dark and Kiska Chilly. We'll have a high of 69° and plentiful sunshine. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

The neighbor had a tiny aloe plant next to a milkweed plant. I noticed it needed water and found 4 monarch chrysalis on it. I didn't take the camera when I covered her mums, but one came out late yesterday afternoon and was finishing his drying. The black one, I thought would be first, wasn't.

Celia, Spike fits! Fat or spinach leaf? LOL! Cute!

Kelli, just when I think we've seen all the flowers on the mountain, you find new ones. Love the video! What a peaceful place to just sit and listen.

Bernie, I'm glad you made it home and know what to fix. It's funny to hear you call it a ''chicken barn.'' I grew up with ''chicken house.'' :o)

There are so many houses without chimneys anymore. I know trying to patch leaks around them is a pain, but I kind of miss how they look.

It is well worth the money to be able to save and use existing buildings. DD gets small batches of chickens. I can't imagine how 300 would look. I look forward to chicken pictures! Pics of the corn crib too! I hope you can salvage your potatoes. What a shame.

Pepper, a very sad jacket, but full of pride. Look at the quiet reflective faces all around.

Monarchs. I've never found more than one in my whole life and now I've found four all at once.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Cocoons! Awesome!!

It's another rainless day with abundant bright sun. Right now it's 38* with a real feel of 48*, expected high is 76* with a real feel of.... 76*!

That's a nice leather vest.

LOL Monty!

Warming up today. Still chilly in the mornings which I don't mind but we are getting back into the 70s in the afternoon. Sunny and mostly cloudless.

I finally got all the jack in the pulpit bulbs and seeds planted today. My nifty new bulb digger came in handy and made short work of them.

This is a wild hibiscus growing in the ditch next door. It shines like a beacon when open. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Distance shot of the hibiscus.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

43° with a high of 78° Sunshine to start, then a few afternoon clouds. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 49 min

I forgot to mention that the spiders flew the other day. There weren't a lot of long strands this year. I did get a picture of some of the cottony webbing. As the sun sets, the ground is literally covered with long long strands.

Pepper, I hope the Pulpits pop up all over the place! Wow! Love the wild Hibiscus! It really does light up!

Another nice day here. It's full speed ahead on the flower beds. Do you know how many dandelions have sneaked in? Good news is, Preen really took care of the chickweed everywhere I put it down last year. I've found very little and have been pulling that!

Cottony webbing from the spiders

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: pretty hibiscus--they grow wild in the ditches here, too.
BP: as usual, you've pretty well covered all the comments. I just say "ditto" to what you have said! LOL

Foggy here in Branson, MO right now--can't even see the lake but the sun will burn it off soon. It will be warmer today, too.
# Today: Sunny. High 77F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 48F. Winds light and variable.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2010 7:10 PM

Branson's always foggy in the mornings it seems LOL

I've always wanted to stop and dig one of those ditch hibiscus out of the ground and put it in my flowerbed. I would love to have 1 pink, 1 white, and 1 red in my front flowerbed.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Dyson, you're leaving a week before your birthday.

A very Happy Happy Birthday early.

I hope it's the best one yet!

noonamah, Australia

More storms and rain around, but still isolated. Where I work we got 32mm (1.29 inches) last night. Another place 10 kilometres away got 120mm (about 4.72 inches). Although it keeps humidity up, it also keeps the temperatures down. Overnight minimum was 24.1C (75.4F) and maximum today was 37.6C (99.7F). The weather bureau is warning that with the La Nina effect there's going to be a big increase in the number of cyclones this season and that the monsoon will come in very heavy.

"Side flaps"? Or maybe "love handles", LOL.

Kelli, hiking in the rain isn't all that bad. New perspective, new challenges. And the photos with the water droplets look great.

BP, I like the photo of the chrysalises, good find.

One of my pineapples fruiting. Still got a bit to grow.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
(Zone 7a)

Tropic, I like 'love handles' much more. LOL Thanks! Oooo, pineapple is a favorite. Yum!

Cooler today and rainy. 67º and mostly cloudy.

BP, very nice hibiscus and all your other pics are nice, too.

Waving at everyone!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, always glad to help :o)

Chrissy, smiling over the ditch rescue. I do a lot of those :o)

Tropic, will the heavier monsoon or cyclones have any effect on your home? Side flaps had me giggling, but love handles is a LOL!

Thanks, I was thrilled to have spotted them. The dark one hasn't come out yet, but I'll bet it does today. As I bent almost upside down to look at it, I spotted one more hanging on the underside of the milkweed leaf :o)

Wow on the pineapple!! Not only pretty, but edible!

Celia, ~ back!

Hey! Tell Aurora hi for me next time you get to babble to her on the phone!

I just got started and my coffee is gone already. It's warming up fast and as soon as I get my hair braided, out the door I go.

Have a fantastic day wherever you are!!

Yeah, it's a mosquito.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dyson Buddy I hate to see you go!
'Dyson Dark' will always remain in our vocabulary!

Ric

Warm, probably low to mid 70s, sunny, not much of a breeze.

Worked on my tulip bed some more today. Got another quarter done and have another quarter to go to finish digging. I can't wait til I get them all dug up!! LOL!

My old man Whiskers sound asleep and dreaming good dreams judging by the smile on his face. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Dyson, Hate that you're not gonna renew your subscription.... :( I wish you & Sue the best. Take Care.

At the moment it's Dyson Dark & 53°. It got down to 40° this morning & the high yesterday was 47°. Luckily there was no frost, yet. I don't know about you all...some of you don't have the 'woolly worm', but we have them & all I've seen are black ones. As the old wives tale goes...if the woolly worm is black on the front end (the back being brown) it will be a bad weather at the beginning of winter. If the woolly worm is black at the back end (the front being brown) the weather will be bad at the end of winter. If the woolly worm is black on the front & the back end (the middle being brown) winter weather will be at its worst the beginning & at the end of the winter. Well all I have seen is totally black woolly worms! *sigh* only time will tell....

Good Night All...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, as Ric said, "Dyson dark" will remain one of our constant terms around here. We will miss the real Dyson, though! Happy birthday in advance!

Tropic: pineapples are good but when I was in Hawaii years ago, I ate too many fresh pineapples and they started giving me heartburn. Too much acid in the juice, I suppose.
BP: laughing at the mosquito--that was a big'un! LOL
Crissy: good luck with digging the ditch hibiscus! Let us know if they make it into your yard.
Pepper: Whiskers looks comfortable. :o))
Joey: I sure hope the wooly worms are wrong in their forecast! Pretty photo!

Warmer here in Harrison, AR today but not unpleasant:
# Today: Abundant sunshine. Warm. High 83F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Generally clear. Low 52F. Winds light and variable.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Mau are you home ?
SallyBP, you made me laugh with that mosquito!LOL Great shot!
Pepper, wonderful how the hibiscus is blooming on the field!
Joey, your forecast is similar to ours!Double sigh!
Dyson, so sorry we are loosing you here! Be well and find your place in the sun!
Tropic, I love pineapples!

It's very cold here, 51F only at noon and only 39F at night...brrrrr! The strong wind doesn't help at all!
I'm still waiting for these rudbeckia to bloom! They've forecasted higher temps starting Sunday, so I have hopes!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Warm, almost hot, with very little breeze. Sunny.

2 of my mum plants blooming. I'm loving all my mums this year!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sorry to be MIA so much lately!
We're starting a GH build this weekend and getting our ducks in a row.
It's about a 100 mile one way trip each way.
So we're tracking down all the tools and making sure the supplies are all there so we can hit the ground running Saturday morning. Sidney you know the drill....lol!
We figure it will take about 3 Saturdays.
Hopefully the second Saturday trip will be in our new, to us, pickup truck......
a 98 Toyota Tacoma Extended cab.....

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Over 80º this afternoon. Frost this morning, first time it damaged anything & it wasn't much!
Farmers are harvesting like crazy. It's a super crop this year & prices are high. Farmers are very happy!

Market was slow today. Did get rid of most of my eggs. Carrots & potatoes sold well.
Hot peppers not much movement as tomatoes are finished here.

Going to finish a couple of jobs tomorrow. Then look at a new one. Another guy called a few days ago. Putting the final touches on the plans for the big kitchen job. They have decided on quarter sawn oak with fancy raised panel doors. That will put it at the most $ job we have ever done.
Nice to have the shop busy as long as we need to heat it anyhow.

Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.