retired, living self sufficently in Alabama (Part 2)

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

You can do a pretty good job beating yourself up trying to drive a T-post in the ground around here when it's dry... lots & lots of clay. Of course, when it's wet, you can pull the T-post out by hand... a fact which has not escaped my donkey's notice.

Been spending the evening getting caught up on all y'alls doin's... woof, amazing!

Vernon, AL

im gonna try and download my pictures tomorrow an post em here of the raceway that i told Dyson i'd post, which is still layin on the ground, it'll go in after the wheel is mounted below the dam .. and the waterwheel mount that i finished today, was wanting to get it installed today, but i ran short of time .. so maybe tomorrow .. if not i'll be monday.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Gettin' all this in just in time for it to freeze, aren't you? LOL

Vernon, AL

wont freeze here till late jan. or feb. an the water in the creek hasnt ever froze as long as i can remember .... i love the Deep South

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

And we're going to have to start draining the hose soon... amazing country this is, from swamps to high alpine deserts. =0)

How do you get tobacco seeds to sprout? I got them one year & got nada.

Vernon, AL

Jayryunen,
just use a good quality potting soil or seed starting mix, sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil an mist them every day keep the soil wet but not soggy, also the temps has to be 65 deg an up to about 80. in 7 to 14 days you should see some little sprouts. and keep them in a sunny place..... bout all there is to it.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

How do you dis-entangle all the little sprouts?

Vernon, AL

i use the tip of a knife blade or a bamboo skewer to move em an transplant em into seperate cups. then after about a week after transplanting em turn loose the miracal grow on em. and keep misting them untill the first true leaves grow, a week or so after then adult leaves apear you can plant em out into the garden or field ...

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

You separate as soon as they sprout, before 1st leaves?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

.... Thank you! - where can seed be purchased ?

Vernon, AL

drop me an email i have lots of baccy seeds i'd be happy to share some with you

Vernon, AL

ok, here are some pic's of the waterwheel mount

Thumbnail by freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

another angle

Vernon, AL

and another one

Vernon, AL

and a shot of the raceway, there'll be more pic's as i install everything an you can see it all put togather .

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Que cool!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

BRAVO & Thank you!

Northern, IN

Great work..!!

I can hardly wait to see it all together...and spinning.

Vernon, AL

its been a long drawn out project for sure, ill be happy to see it finished and spinning also... means i can move on to my next big project. well next 2 big projects .. my big windmill and my outdoor wood burning furnace for central heat in the cabin to all rooms .. creature comfort ..

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I'll bet you could build your own wood fired hot tub.

Vernon, AL

yeah.. already thought about that ... LOL

Vernon, AL

Maybe tomorrow ill get a chance to post the pic's of my waterwheel installed below the dam, havent done the raceway yet .. but soon ..

Vernon, AL

well wont be today, its raining .. not enough sun to fire up my laptop and download em .. looks like the same is forecasted for the next 3 days also ..
soon .....

Vernon, AL

LOL still raining here, creek is almost full, well actualy it is full goin over my spillway at the moment with more rain on the way.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

We have no running streams here- too bad...it would sure be nice. We did find a huge lake way behind us on the tax assessor's aerial map today. It might be fun to find a new fishing hole! Our pond has nice eating fish but the pond is too small to have to depend on for a source of protein. Actually, I plan to start landscaping one side (closest to the road) to try and make the entrance way to our farm nicer. I can only do it if my hubby is there. I am terrified of snakes. Ever since that moccasin chased me. There are no gators in it now that I can see. I just need some decent dirt. We are sitting on a coral rock shelf. You have to use a jackhammer to pound thru it, then dig or the roots can't get thru. Meaning after you plant you have to replace all the removed rock with soil. It's alot of work to plant something but the beauty makes it well worth the effort.
I am hoping our next project is a smokehouse. Hunting here is plentiful. Our swamp buggy is broke down so hunting on ATVs is about it.
Do you hunt, Sailer?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Carol! Good to see you pop-up here. We need to chat soon, but I'm out of town for another week.

Vernon, AL

sounds like a very beautiful place you have there cyberageous, even a small pond can provide lots of fish if they are fed and took care of, my pond is maybe 1/2 acre and it provides lots of fish, catfish, bream and bass.
now sitting on a coral shelf is something ive never had to deal with, guess its kinda like our bedrock here, LOL i grow more rocks than anything else .. hehee takes along time to get a small garden spot up an ready, even when i think i got all the rocks n root out more just appear from nowhere...
also, you can never go wrong with a smoke house, very good plan of action yawl have planned out there, my best wishes to yawl.

and yes i hunt, its kinda like second nature to me, hunt, fish, foragae .. you name it .. use to do some trappin also but i havent in along time, just not a very humane kill . i dont like makin nothing suffer ne longer than i have to. i usualy make headshots on my kills also .. sometimes they are dead while still standing before they fall ... just colapse to the ground. i like it that way. fast an as painless as posible

This message was edited Nov 16, 2010 12:13 PM

Vernon, AL

new waterwheel pic's , these just show how i am mounting the waterwheel below the dam.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2010 2:42 PM

Vernon, AL

LOL second pic was 'pose to have went here but sumphin messed up.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2010 2:44 PM

Vernon, AL

ok try again

Vernon, AL

no. 3

Vernon, AL

no.4

Vernon, AL

no. 5

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Lookin good. Do you have the water held back in this pic?

Richmond, TX

I think the stream is elsewhere.

Vernon, AL

LOL actualy the creek is dried up for now .. i have it blocked off up stream an diverted into another creek, and with all the dry weather we've had its totaly dry. ill turn what water is up there loose when i get it finished

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I thought it looked a bit parched. :) I was thinking it was a year round creek. Ours is but it sure got low toward the end of the summer.

Vernon, AL

this one usualy runs year round.. i deverted it, then it stopped rain'n, now its dry .. first time i can ever remember it being this dry. there wasnt even a mudhole in it, now there's some water in it we had a day with 2 inches of rain .. LoL

Vernon, AL

wooo hooooooooo looks like more rain on the way, bout dang time is all i can say .. LOL
yeah yeah i know ,, im easly amused .. hehee

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Calling for rain here Thursday. Need to get my yard picked up before then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.