retired, living self sufficently in Alabama (Part 2)

Vernon, AL

yeah sometimes close'n your eyes opens the doors of the imaganation an you can invision all kinds of things.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

lol closing my eyes gets me in trouble.

Vernon, AL

squash, cucumbers, beans, peppers, carrots pea's all planted in the gardens an ready. might be too early but if not, ill have a early crop. always worth the effort when the signs of spring comes early.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bravo!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Spring is definitely here. I think Winter forgot to show up. And Summer is suppose to be mild. Blackberry Winter will be early too. Should be the 3rd week in April this year.
I don't know what to say to the customers when they show up wanting tomato plants. It will be another week before they are big enough to set out. I did not expect it to be so warm so early.

Greensboro, AL

Old farmers in Alabama have told me its usually safe to plant after Easter. There is an Early Spring group of garlic onions shallots chinese vegetables etc that can go in in February.

For the greenhouse, grow for the Zone South of you due to Global Warming.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2012 6:44 AM

Vernon, AL

yeah we always plant everything on Good Friday here in Bama .. just a rule of thumb ....

Vernon, AL

wow, all my gardens are doing great, lots of stuff coming up and growin good, projects projects an more projects goin on here.. outdoor wood fired bread/pizza oven for one, workin on the sawmill, fine tuning the windmill... list goes on an on ... oh yes HAPPY SPRING TIME to everyone ...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is good news. The small amount of stuff I have been able to get out is doing well. We had lettuce leaves out the garden on our sandwiches a few days ago.

What's going on with the windmill and how is the water wheel working. Any more progress on the bread oven?

Vernon, AL

windmill is still working great, but ill keep on tweaking it untill i get it like i want it....
waterwheel is down for repairs, new bearings an a broken shaft...
bread oven is comin along nicely, just slow process, still finding materials i need to compleat it

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Was the water wheel a victim of flood waters? You must be missing the extra electricity.

Vernon, AL

actualy i wish i could say it was.. more a case of poor maintance on my part .. LOL an yes i miss the extra power, especially on cloudy days.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, I hope you have learned your lesson, young man. LOL It is so hard to find the time and energy to do all the things we need and / or want to do.

Vernon, AL

sure is, with it down i just have to be more conseritive with my power.. it'll be back up an running before long

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have no doubt you will. You are creative and are blessed with ingenuity. I am always impressed with your many projects. I live vicariously through them. LOL

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

sorry bout the waterwheel. I hear we will have below normal rainfall this year. What power source does your waterwheel supply? The whole house or just a few sources?
I personally can't wait to play with solar panels and windmills....waiting impatiently but has to wait after we get the house insulated.
My step dad has solar panels and he stores the energy in car batteries. He has 20 car batteries under his house that are all hooked up to solar panels. I don't want car batteries. Seems like it takes sufficient out of sufficient. Eventually those car batteries have to be replaced. There is a lot I don't understand about solar energy and I need to find a really good Book.

Vernon, AL

Cajun,
its more a case of nessity is the mother of inventions with me .. hahaaa
and im glad you enjoy readin an lookin at the project pic's

Cricket,
the waterwheel supliments power to the cabin main battery bank... i miss the little bit of power comin in 24/7 off it .. especially on cloudy days .. an it keeps the batterys from sitting in still mode all nite ..

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We got rain yesterday and the day before but not a downpour. We need it too. The creek is a bit low and it's not summer yet.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I found a solar powered food dehydrator online. I wish I was smart enough to make it myself cause that sucker is $334.

Vernon, AL

Cajun,
yeah we have had good rain here . my creek i still looking good right now .. just hope it keeps up, i know the gardens just love it ..

Cricket
Kewl, ive looked at them.. never paid no attention to how they was made .. but im sure you could make one for alot less ....

Vernon, AL

good one Dyson, Thanks

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We got rain agin today and it has turned off chilly.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

thanks dyson...i came across that link the other day too.

We got rain yesterday evening. Now that Good Friday is here, It wants to turn off cool for a week. Just cool enough that it will take a while for seeds to germinate in the garden. sigh.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Do you guys know if the bean pods on Pink Fuzzy Bean, aka strophostyles helvola, are edible.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

FROST warning here tonight - what am I going to do with the 300 tomato starts on the front porch and outside - the apartment is not large enough to bring them in !

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Dyson, many of us face that dilemma since we jumped the gun thanks to the early warm weather!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

freedom_sailer, this thread is getting long and slow to load. Maybe you can start Part 3? Thanks.

Vernon, AL

darius part 3 is now posted ... cant wait to get started on it. ill be posting some pictures of the new little cabin im building there also. along with more on the gardens an other projects ....

Hope to see everyone there .. :)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252119/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.