retired, living self sufficently in Alabama (Part 2)

Vernon, AL

Cajun, yes it'll go into my battery bank to be used when ever needed

Northern, IN

Great news..!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Here's a link to some great information y'all may find interesting.
Water-Powered Water Pumps
http://lurkertech.com/water/

Vernon, AL

kewl info Darius,
ive used a coil pump here on a small waterwheel upstream when i first built my cabin, worked like a charm too. untill a flood took it out one nite when i wasnt here. ill probably build another when i finish some other projects

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a pic of the water in my creek in the yard today. My DS piled these rocks up for me so I could hear the waterfall.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a natural falls a few feet farther down the creek.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is the falls in the first pic a week ago when it rained.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Richmond, TX

Looks like potential water power to me!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It had almost gone dry before the big rain last week. There were a couple of big rock trucks up on the strip job where the creek originates and I think they did something to hinder the water. Our well is muddy now too. Grrr

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Awesome, Cajun.

Vernon, AL

awsome Cajun, an yes .. i see lots of free power there ... beautiful waterfalls also

Vernon, AL

was out workin this morning an saw something scarey ............. SNOW FLAKES ..... say it aint SOOOOO000000ooooooooo

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We got 5". Some has melted. Calling for 8* in the morning. More snow next week. Have to get hay on Friday. Horses are plowing through it in all this cold.

Vernon, AL

brrrrrrr Cajun, im ready for springtime already, an winter hasnt really even got here yet .. looks like its gonna be a cold one this year, just hope its not a long one.... take care of them horses ...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Have I mentioned I HATE cold weather?!!! It was 4* this morning but no precip. The sun is shining now so I need to get out and get to work. Lots of water buckets to melt. That takes all day.

DH is having a heart cath done on Tuesday. They are trying to figure out why they can't keep his BP down. I will have to feed in the dark Tuesday night and we are supposed to get bad weather again starting on Sunday. Please say a prayer for us both.

Vernon, AL

yeah i hate cold also .. 17 is forcasted for monday morning here ... hurts my bones.. not to mention the extra work with all the firewood etc ....
Cajun yawl both will be in my Thoughts and Prayers

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Merry Christmas all

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Freedom Sailor must really be busy.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Merry Christmas!

Beautiful 3" of snow this morning.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We had about that much and while it's pretty to look at, it's miserable to work in. Just makes everything harder. We have 2 horses in a barn on top of a mountain. The county is hit and miss with the salting and scraping up there and we have not been able to get to them to feed them. It is very nerve wracking. I have not had a good day.

Vernon, AL

Merry Christmas to everyone, little bit late but its been a rush rush here at Santa's Workshop, hahaa try making presents for 15 grandkids an cooking also. life is good tho. now the days will be gettin longer also.
God Bless Everyone

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Happy New Year to everyone!

What did you make for all the kids?

We have about 10" of snow now. Couldn't get to 4 of the horses yesterday but we were able to get to them today and gave them extra hay. A friend went with his 4 wheeler and blade and scraped the road for us.

Tomorrow is going to be a hard day for me. DH goes for his heart cath in the morning. He has to be there at 8 so he will leave here at 7. I will have to do all the feeding and carry water to everything then get a church member to bring me to the hospital to get Steve. I would much rather go with him in the morning but it's not possible to do that and get all the work done after.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Cajun, glad you have the help. Can't imagine how tough that's gotta be in the mountains with all that snow.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It is miserable but we are supposed to warm up a bit the next few days and not have any snow until the weekend.

Vernon, AL

yeah i hope it warms up some also, an get rid of some of this cold, but on the bright side, the days are getting longer now instead of shorter .. gaining around 9 seconds a day.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Freedom--you got me interested in waterwheels--is this a combo of an overshot and an undershot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p892LCoVL8M&feature=related

Vernon, AL

thats a nice version of an undershot wheel .. an yes i'd say kinda a combo because the race way an the water strikes the wheel before it reaches the bottom of the cycle. a true undershot just kinda 'rides' on the water current.

Vernon, AL

Ok People, Question..... Has anyone put in an order for Springtime yet ? if not GIT ON THE BALL .. hahaa its cold an rainy, i cant work outside in this weather .. LOL

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It was cold here today but the sun was shining. Got another tarp up on the goat house. Just have 1 open end now. Supposed to start snowing tomorrow. Gave away a game cross roo today. Was supposed to trade a few chickens but we had a flat on the truck and it had to come first. Have to have it in the snow. Hope I can get my trading done before snow gets too bad. Trading 2 bantam hens for a young EE hen and another pullet. Giving away some more game roos too. Be so glad to get rid of them. They are pretty but they are a pain to keep seperated.

Vernon, AL

LOL i know your right, all mine wanted to do was fight .. an they'd fight to the death unless you broke em up .. i got down to one rooster an kept it that way, but they are some beautiful birds.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I did get the ckickens traded, 3 bantam hens for an EE hen and a black sex link hen. If the weather is not too bad tomorrow I hope to get the roos traded too. Actually, I am giving them away. No snow yet but supposed to start later tonight.

Vernon, AL

Cajun
still looking good for here, just a couple days with a chance of rain or ice pellets which we call sleet. hahaaa, good luck on chicken trading, how's ur DH doing an the test ?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Dh's heart cath went great. NO blockages. But his BP was still high and erratic. They changed one of his meds. It has been good for the last several days, thank the Lord.

Trading went well. Got my BSL and my EE hens into the pullet pen. There was a bit of a pecking order dispute but all is well tonight. I still have to bring him the game roos. 3 of them. Will be so glad to get rid of them. They are pretty but a pain. I have no use for them as I do not fight them and they are not good for much else.

Been snowing here most of the day but it's been light and dry so not bad. Started to change after dark but the trucks are out scraping and salting. Praying it does not get bad.

Is your water wheel hooked up and making power?

Vernon, AL

Cajun,
my waterwheel is hooked up .. but still havent mounted the generator on it yet, i posted a vid. of it turning on f/b under the same name i use here .. anyone is welcome to view it and add me also if yawl wish.

way kewl on your DH's reports an cath. also on the chicken trade'n hehee
they are callin for 4 to 6 inches of snow here Sunday nite an monday ..
dangit ..im ready for spring time NOW. hahaaa

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Woke up to upwards of 5" this morning. Sure hope we can get to the barn on the mountain. BBL to talk more.

Vernon, AL

i hope so too, specially if u got animals up there that needs feeding and taking care of

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have 2 mares up there. Water is no problem because they have a creek but there is nothing for them to eat. The county scraped the road to the bottom of the last hill before the barn. A friend scraped the last hill with the blade on his 4 wheeler this morning but the road was covered again so we had to park at the bottom of the hill and walk up with the feed.

All but 1 horse is fed. Still have to let him out so I can clean his stall. Then I will feed and water him. He has had half his hay this morning.

Still have to feed the chickens and goats but I am letting my feet warm up a bit.

Lorena, TX

free...spent many hours reading both your threads over wknd. what a wonderful way to live! no, i don't live even in a small way any of this.....well in my mind, always had the want. but life happened and at almost 68 i can only do it vicariously thru you and other wonderful poster's. but like i tell God....no mansion for me, please....a log cabin in the woods is my idea of Heaven!!!

Richmond, TX

68? It's not too late!

Lorena, TX

well, circumstances then...3 yrs.ago i was unexpectedly given a precious 12yr. old....then married a much younger Marine! we've been in TX for a year now but no guarantees we won't be moved. so....and yes i am worn-out keeping up !!!! but still do what i can to leave our leased home better then when we got here....never hesitate to plant trees, shrubs, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.