Apropos of Nothing v.19

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, Sofer, you are a dedicated animal healer extraordinaire, aren't you? That is nice to know, actually....... I mean I knew you were but it is nice to be reminded of. :)

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Steve, you are so macho. Nut, I bet even you wouldn't eat those "Wild Salmon" doggie treats with milk. The smell just about gagged me.

Poor Sally, 89 yo, with dementia, is tough.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Of course it has been raining and it is deary. Today they came to clean off our roof. OH MY GOD!!! WHAT A MESS!!!

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

This morning DH had an early appointment so I walked the dog to get the paper. Coming back I saw movement out of the corner of my eye; there was a small doe just off our driveway who was in a sandy depression she had obviously made for herself in trying to get up, but for some reason she couldn't do it. She was vigorous and looked healthy, but she was stuck there. I figured that she probably tried to jump the fence right next to where she lay, and twisted or broke a leg.

I called a conservation officer and he came over and assessed the situation and said he'd have to shoot her. He gave us a card stating what had happened so it would be legal to keep the meat, and since we have NO room in our freezers right now, having just butchered 17 chickens and 2 geese, we brought her carcass over to a friend's who was delighted to have her. At least her death didn't go for naught. But it reminded me that I need to start using more of the freezer contents so I'll have room once DH wants to go hunting later this fall.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That's a sad story.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

A friend lives in Oregon (Crooked River Ranch). They are forbidden all firearms down to and including BB and pellet guns.

There are so many deer (feral? not very wild) that they mow everything in sight down to the ground and still starve. "Professional" slaughterers were brought in, and left carcasses and piles of bones. Sad!

At least the local wildcat got some meals.

Corey

We were really sorry to see the poor doe, and even the conservation officer was sad about having to kill her. I'm still not sure why she couldn't get up; there were no obvious breaks in her legs, but maybe she pulled a muscle or sprained something.

Why are firearms forbidden in that area of Oregon, Corey? In our state the hunting season is tailored to the records of deer harvested the year before, so that they can respond to population spurts or decreases. We also have coyotes filling a niche in the ecosystem; they are expanding their numbers and range and will also help to keep the deer population in check.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Why are firearms forbidden in that area of Oregon, Corey?

I am just guessing that they are sissies. Marginally-possibly, they are afraid of fires since it is so dry, but I think they just have a lot of city people who bought lots and put up houses or manuafctured homes. Some retirees and some vacation homes, probably a lot of out-of-staters.

Afraid of bullets flying through thin walls in a FAIRLY densely-populated area, I kind of understand.

But pellet guns?
BB guns?

That I do not understand.

These deer appear in small herds in people's backyards scant feet from patios, every day. There's not much for them to eat, but they sure do try.

It SEEMS as if it would be more humane to keep their population down to what the area can sustain, whether that includes everyone's bushes or not.

My friend told me about seeing the pile of bones where they must have piled carcasses, and it made me sad and angry. Eat what you kill, DUHH!

How many people in that area are skimping at the grocery store during this economy? Every other house has had a For Sale sign up for many months, with constantly lowering prices, and not selling. (My friend is one of them.)

(More grumpy grumbling deleted.)

Corey

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That's a sad story too Corey. (More grumbling)

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

The pile of bones may have been road kill rather than people kill. Often when deer or other animals get hit by cars, they are mortally wounded but not quite dead, leaving it up to the local road crew to put them to rest and dispose of their bodies. Or, if dead, they still need to be disposed of. Usually the local wildlife (cougars, coyotes, vulchures) soon learn of the dumping grounds and complete the circle of life.

Interesting update re our doe this morning; the fellow we gave it to, who's a retired veterinarian, says that the reason it died was that it was shot with a bow and arrow! He just gutted it and called to tell us. I'm not sure how he could tell that, but at least I know it wasn't because of our fence!

Here we're not allowed to discharge firearms within a certain number of feet from a residence. DH has his deerstand just far enough away from our neighbors to comply.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> The pile of bones may have been road kill rather than people kill.

i think the area has so many roads, and the deer so feral that they know to avoid cars. We've never heard from neighbors about vehicular maiming.

This happened after papers annouced that slaughterers would be brought in, and the bones were heaped and scattered far from any roads, many deer's-worth of bones. I think they were dumped down the side of a canyon

>> Usually the local wildlife (cougars, coyotes, vulchures) soon learn of the dumping grounds and complete the circle of life.

Yes, there's one or more big cats or cougars and they probably did they scattering.

I don't know which bothers me more, the chronic starvation and feralization or the mass slaughter and pile of bodies.

Probably, if I accept that people are going to have a population boom and take over the wild lands, I should accept that the wildlife is going to suffer both chronically and acutely.

But wouldn't they suffer less if there was a regular, controlled harvest i.e. hunting, and we ate what we killed, as omnivores and carnivors ought to?

Then the question arises "how many ex-city-folk would get licenses, barely knowing which end of a rifle the bullets come out of, and that not every rustle in the brush is a deer?" Or how to avoid wounding, or assume a clean kill?

If they're so afraid of firearms that they passed laws against BB guns, maybe they should not be allowed to hunt.

So many things I don't know, so many opinions I have anyway.

Corey

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Its an interesting point about not managing the cull so that the meat can be consumed - I wonder if it would be worth raising this point with your local food bank manager. I can imagine it would be much appreciated by the recipients (although Venison as a staple could get a bit overwhelming - but less than life without enough food). good thought Corey.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

They have rules in Alaska that if you hit a deer you must dress it out within four hours to save the meat. There was more to it but I've forgotten what my brother said.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Wonder what you are supposed to do if it runs off wounded into the tundra? Or you don't have ready access to whatever it takes to dress a dear? Good thought, though, however they implement it. Any layer of responsibility for actions is always good.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Sofer mignt know the details.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey gang, the photo contest is on! I wish they'd put up a banner like they did for the fair thingie, I never would have known if someone hadn't mentioned it in another forum.

Here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/contest/2010-photography-contest/

Corey, break out that froggie zinnia pic- it's a winner for sure! :D

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I've already submitted it ... eagerly!

ribbet

ribbet

Eeeeeexcellennnnnt. *rubbing hands together*

hehe. ;)

Well, it's about that time.

*dingdingding*NEW THREAD!*dingdingding*NEW THREAD!*dingdingding*