Apropos of Nothing v.19

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I am so sore I can hardly move today. Tracy’s birthday was yesterday, and we spent the whole day out in his canoe on a lake fishing. I knew it was going to be hard on my shoulder, but didn’t think about how that canoe makes my back and legs hurt too- it’s like you’re constantly bracing yourself against the rocking of the boat because it’s so narrow it always feels like you’re about to tip over. So I can hardly move today. But we did have fun, and he caught some nice fish. I only caught two, and they were pretty small so I let them go. But it was worth it, because spending the day fishing together made him so happy and he had a great birthday. :)

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

Wonderful Photo Corey!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I voted and looks good for you Pony. Being in a canoe is a walk on a water bed. Just sit and relax and no balancing is needed. I am sore from hauling wood and burning Brush and branches from summer down fall and thinning of the forest below us. Tomorrow more of the same. Oh booooooy....urgh.
I get surgery on my fixed bird on tues and then get to drive to Michigan to get the trailer that has all of my dad and mom's stuff in it. I'll try a round trip of 5 to 6 days. Anybody want to go on a road trip?

Thanks, Steve. :) I'm not going to win, there's one that has way more votes than me, but that's okay. :)

PT appointment today. It's been three weeks since surgery, and he says I'm still ahead of the curve. My range of motion is great, getting close to normal. It still hurts, and there are still things I can't do yet that are annoying, like pulling open drawers or getting something off a higher shelf in the cupboard, but he said I'll be getting past that really soon with my exercises. Still not allowed to dig in the garden though. Le sigh.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Good work Pony. I had my finger cut today to release the trigger. I am typing tonight as it bleeds to keep the tendon from having any adhesions.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Golly - I hope everyone that is having procedures gets well soon! Don't rush it Pony - follow the rules!

Speedy recovery, Steve! I hope it's all better soon!

Judi, I have been pushing it... just not *too* hard. PT dude says the fact that I've been stubbornly using my arm is why I'm doing so well. :)

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Sofer, can you explain what they dd to your finger? I have one that does the same but have not considered getting it fixed yet. What do you mean you are typing as it bleeds? That does not sound good to me.

Pony, fast recovery, isn't it good to have that behind you now? I love fall, we are finally getting some summer here, its warm but we are having a cold north wind. I want rain real bad.

Eh- it's not behind me yet. Still can't do a lot of things. (like gardening!) On my way, though.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh yes they did surgery on it today. I had the tendon injected 2 times to fix it. The first one lasted almost 10 years. But the second one didn't do anything. So today I went in for a simple surgery where they cut the middle of my hand and released the adhesions that were created with the tendonitis and released the band of fibers that held the finger in a locked Up/down position. It was nothing and I came home and rested today. I started to move the tendon up and down tonight and that started the bleeding. Very little pain and all is well. Recommend surgery over injection.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

gosh, I just went all squeezy reading that. I'm not good with surgery. No. I. umm. ow. right.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Sofer, blood is not good for keyboards.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Good luck with it, Sofer!

Pony:
>> My range of motion is great, getting close to normal

That's great! Clearly you must be over-doing it in proper moderation, hitting the sweet spot. Keep on keeping up the patience, and stubburnly pushing it in moderation, and don't get depressed about how long it takes. Some plants don't flower until the SECOND year!

But complete recovery is a wonderful thing. Set an example for the rest of us!

Corey

Thanks, Corey. It is *really* hard not to get ahead of myself, I keep catching myself thinking "hmmm... maybe I could just try digging a few plants..." but the shoulder is pretty good at reminding me that it's nowhere near ready for heavy use. Just little stuff still makes it hurt.

I have new exercises to do this week, the first ones using any resistance, and they hurt/wear me out enough that I don't have the gumption left to try anything stupid. Hooray for PT... hehe.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> I have new exercises to do this week, the first ones using any resistance, and they hurt/wear me out enough that I don't have the gumption left to try anything stupid. Hooray for PT

Also, hurray for pain! It REALLY helps us remember to be good.

It sounds like you're keeping your spirits up, as well as being smart. Both can be a challenge.

Hehe. I have my sulky moments. But I remind myself that once this heals, a problem I've had for 20 years should be gone... that cheers me up. :)

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Glad you are doing well in PT. I am not going to send the buddleia until you are back in the garden. It's doing very well. Take care.

Sofer that sounds nasty. Hope you heal quickly and completely.

Thank you, Willow! :)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

On a break from yard work. I ran my fastest time ever on the 100 yard dash today. I was taking down some old ratty looking bird house off a trellis and tossed it to the ground so I could get the next one. Well it split open and inside there was an active wasp nest. The wasp were very mad and I took off like bat out of hell!! I don't think I have ever run so fast in my life!! I am sure my leg muscles will be sore tomorrow. Anyway, let things calm down out there and then hit the nest with some spray. Hit the other two also...just in case. I try to be organic as much as possible..but drastic times call for drastic measures...as the saying goes! Whew...will go back out in a while to clean up the little buggers!

(Judi)Portland, OR

OMG Glad you didn't get stung!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I read about someone who was napping naked in an RV. When it started up, he rolled out of bed and onto the road. He actually broke bones in his feet, running to try to get back inside the RV before it disapeared!

Maybe just an urban myth ...

Corey

OMG, Bea! How scary! I'm glad you escaped. *whew*

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Bet you had a good heart rate going without the mad dash. Lucky!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah.. the old heart was pumping!

I think my heart would have exploded on the spot. Yikes.

Have any of you ever had your Helianthus 'Lemon Queen' set seed? I read that it doesn't, but mine is. Not many, but every so often one of the dead heads looks a little spikier than usual, and those are the ones that kick out just a few seeds each. I just put a couple in a peat pellet to see if they will germinate.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well I did my PT all day and night non-stop as I drove from K alispell to Marquette MI. 1800 mi non- stop. I got tired here so I am spending 2 days on the beach looking at the GEORGIOUS colors of northern Michigan! I also went through Brainerd, MN. Who knows what happened there? My finger is painful but almost back to normal travel. Waiting for your answers to Brainerd, MN.

Le sigh. I didn't win anything in the DG Fair. One of my photos got second place, but they don't even give you a stupid profile ribbon for that. Lame.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Pony, we are all standing giving you an ovation shouting Bravo, encore, BRAVO!!!! Applause applause applause - we are all whistling and calling your name - soooooo loud are we that the neighbours are going to complain, until they see what you did and they too will bust into applause and call their relatives to tell them who lives next door!

Much better than stupid profile ribbon. (And no one clapped for first).

*snort* Laurie, you're a trip. Got me to laugh, anyway... thanks. ;)

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I went out to deadhead my buddleia on Thursday and the whole bush was rotten down into the roots. It has been there over 15 years. So sad. But I did start a few shoots as I was cutting it up to put in the truck.
This was the last picture I took of it.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Aw, Willow... that's such a bummer. :(

Man, this has been a brutal year for plants... and now we have an extra-harsh winter coming? *sigh* I sure hope next year is better.

Apropos of nothing...

OW.

OWOWOW

OW!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah, a beautiful farewell to Buddleia! Guess it's a good thing they grow pretty fast, you'll have replacements in no time.....

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

And..... sorry not to have participated in the recent voting, but, I do not do Facebook, and so. Congrats to the winners and consolatory beverages of choice to the not so winners....... who are surely winners of another sort!

:)

A lot of people were pretty ticked off about the facebook thing. Some folks even demanded their recipes be removed. (there was no response from admin)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmm. Too bad. I know if people are promoting something, then Facebook seems to be a way to get attention to your thing, but it has a shadow side that gives me the creeps. I imagine the admins felt having an "event" on Facebook was a good way to publicize the thing here, etc etc. But, given the current controversies around Facebook, it should not have surprised them to find some opposition..... Still, once it's done, seems like something to move on from. These days, all over, people seem to enjoy getting in a ruckus!

I don't think Facebook is as bad as people think it is. As long as you don't enter sensitive information, there's no threat. Just like any other website, really.

But I do think slapping the recipes over there was a bad move. They said it was because they couldn't do text entries with voting because the software will only accept image files. Well, it's certainly easy enough to copy and paste text into a blank image and save it as a jpeg. I've done it plenty of times. Then the voting could have been exactly the same as it was for the photos.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We need to accept change everyone. Facebook is a daily part of life for anyone under 40.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Under 40??? I have a Facebook account and I'm way over 40. My father, who is 94, also does the Facebook thing. However I must admit that I log onto to it about once a month, if that. Pony, I agree - it's like any other website. If you don't want personal information to be available to everyone in the world, don't post it. I leave my profile mostly blank, and my photo there is unrecognizable. So all you young folks - if you don't want a potential employer to see the photo of you at a frat party dressed in a toga and hoisting a humungous beer stein, don't post it! Oh - that goes for those wearing foil hats as well.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.