Apropos of Nothing v.19

Lake Stevens, WA

Katie

Amethyst Myst :I'm sure I have that one and will cut a piece if plant is big enough.

No Obsidian but if any has some would love a peice.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I have lots of Amethyst Myst and was going to save one for you if you wanted it. I do have a small Obsidian, which is my favorite, so I'll make sure to bring one for you.

I've just noticed that H. Melting Fire is ready to be divided. I'll wait until spring as it looks happy, but if anyone doesn't have that one, I'll try to make some more come spring.

Lake Stevens, WA

Oh, yes please on the Obsidian.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I have gone nuts for the heuchera in the last couple of years myself. They look nice so much of the year, and add such a wonderful color in the early spring before anything else is really happening. I have been too scared to try cuttings of any of mine yet... maybe those of you who are more experienced with that can show me what to try this weekend. I have a couple of older ones that I know should be able to get starts off of.

Julia, Have you had Green Envy overwinter for you? It is a stunning flower, but I was a bit worried about buying it because I have lost several of the "specialty" echies I have planted in the past. I am not sure if they were lost to weather or slugs, but at least the two I bough today are big enough that they might stand a fighting chance!

Lake Stevens, WA

Julie
This is my 3rd year for Green Envy. Very strong but needs a support. I have had trouble with Tiki Torch and Mac and cheese. They just disappear over the winter. You should go over to the coneflower forum. Two people over there know their echinacias and share info. Very nice. There are some that these two say not to buy. Looking forward to seeing the 3 gardens Saturday and meeting more of the PNW group.

Almost everything needs support in my yard, so that isn't a worry at all. I have been avoiding some of the specialty forums because I really don't need to go crazy over another variety of plant.... I have a weakness that usually doesn't allow me to stop at "just a couple" if I find something I really like. I will check it out though, because there are some really nice echies coming out now and it is nice to learn from other people's experiences if you can.

Rain or shine or something in between, tomorrow should be a blast. It is so much fun to actually meet people in person and be able to put a name with a face!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Rarejem, I have tried to move Indian Plum with marginal success. It seems to sprout up from lateral roots (like, well, a plum tree). I didn't have the right tools and just tried yanking out some of the babies to move and that didn't work. I think you need an axe to actually cut and move the root that it is suckering from. I may try again this fall, I would like them to colonize within an aspen grove between my neighbor and I (adding just a bit more screening). I'm also going to jam in some pussywillow whips, they seem to grow quite quickly but stay at a manageable height.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Wish you all a very happy get-together tomorrow. Will be with you in spirit.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Yeah- what Willow said... and take lots of pics!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I would like you to save me the comoradery, shared passion for plants, happiness tht fills our times together, warm moments around the fire, the joyous sharing and most importantly the smiles that each one of you give when you greet each other when you meet!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Between dumping episodes of rain last evening, the full moon this month was involved in another spectacular show. Just had to share.

This is when I first noticed what was happening.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Ooooh. Look at that UFO!

As the sun was setting the color got more intense.

I had to take a few close-ups too.

I was wondering if you were going to post those Mom... they are great. Mine are not quite as spectacular as I don't have the large vista. It was sure enchanting to watch though.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2010 11:28 AM

Beautiful! :)

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

That is phenomenal, Sharon. Thanks for sharing.

Lake Stevens, WA

I thought the veiw was spectacular when we were there. Very nice

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful Sharon.

When I went to look up the spelling for lenticular, I found this link. Boy am I sorry I somehow missed this occasion<

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blog/35631614.html

We saw that show from the boat in the middle of commencement bay. The clouds were spectacular! Cool photos.

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

Wonderful pics Sharon!!

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Goodness, does everyone else know about this place except me? I would give my.....well I don't know what... but what a resource for anyone looking for a special flour or what ever - found it looking for advice on dehydrating pumpkin -

Judy - this is a terrific gluten free flour source - they have green pea flour!

http://www.barryfarm.com/flours.htm

First PT session today. It went well, she was really gentle and nice, just gave me some really small movements to do. What burns me up is that every new person I talk to through this whole process gives me a longer estimated recovery time. First I was told a few weeks, then a month, now six to eight weeks! I have fall gardening to do, dangit! All that rain trashed things, and I have to just sit and look at it. And I have people waiting on trades, and fall bulbs coming in the mail soon... Arrrrrrgh!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Don't forget to put November 6 on your calendars for the Green Elephant!

http://www.holycrossredmond.org/Rector/GreenElephant

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> I have fall gardening to do, dangit!

I know how you feel, Pony! Darn medical problems won't wait decently for Winter.

Just think of your shoulder as a tender plant. You know you don''t want to put stress on it until you know it won't wilt. Hardening it off GRADUALLY gets there fastest.

>> people waiting on trades, and fall bulbs coming

People, and even bulbs, will understand what comes first. If you can't get the bulbs in, or someone to do it for you, there may even be some people in the forum, such kindly and generous friends, as to let you send all those bulbs to THEM this year!

>> I have to just sit and look at it.

It is painful and a challenge, but PT strengthens both the body and the mind!

Corey

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I will come help you, Pony. Just let me know when.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Lynn, you sweetie! Responding to the cry of a damsel in deep distress. Corey - lovely comparison to hardening off! Pony, use this time to sit and look, think through what you want it to do next. My guess, you will never have this craved out still time available again. So, use it to sit and look. We spend far too much time head down and pulling at weeds losing sight of the garden itself.

That being said, I'd be in the same agitated state (although not today - I would dearly love to sit and look - now, off to do the next two assessments and it is only 8:15 in the morning! Its going to be a long one).

Corey, the comparison to hardening off is quite apt. :) That said, nobody is gettin' mah bulbs! *snarls like a lioness protecting her young*

Lynn... you are so full of awesome. Thank you! If you can come and just help me dig out the trade stuff and a few things that need to go to make room for the bulbs coming from the co-op, that would be such a tremendous help. Doesn't need doing for a little while yet, like in a couple of weeks would be perfect. You'll get pretty plants to take home! :) Anything else can just wait til I get back to normal. Um, or recovered anyway. I don't think normal is an option for me... LOL

Laurie- that's the trouble- I had been looking and planning and plotting already... and then before the surgery I set things in motion to implement said plan going by the "a few weeks" recovery time I was first given. Deal were struck, bulbs were ordered, and I thought I was so smart getting it all together like that... pffft. I guess that'll teach me! ;p

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

The best laid plans of mice and men gang oft aglay, Pony! But it must be frustrating indeed! My husband had to have a medical procedure last winter and when it was first broached it was going to be a piece of cake and take very little time, and then once they'd hooked him and he agreed, suddenly it became more and more involved and was going to take more and more time, and make him feel worse and worse....And the doctors contradicted each other on exactly what it would entail. Drives you batty! But he came through it and is glad he got it over with.

Sometimes the universe is just telling us to slow down and take some time off...

Well, at least I'm not the only one... LOL

I did find out yesterday that they did more work in there than they thought they were going to do. Not only did they cut the bone down in several places, but they discovered a few small tears in the muscle that needed patching up. (no wonder I had shoulder pain!)

It will be great to have a non-gimpy shoulder after all this is done with, but oh... the waiting... *fidget*

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

You do not have to give me anything, Pony. What would you like to have from my garden? Let me know what day works for you. I am looking forward to seeing your gardens.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> That said, nobody is gettin' mah bulbs! *snarls like a lioness protecting her young*

I understand the feeling! Good for you. That sounds like motivation.

I'm talking to myself here, as well as to you, Pony.
I think this is necessary for everyone all the time,
not just those recovering from surgery or with disabilities:

- Know what you want most.
- Save energy, strength and time for what you want most.
- Do first what is most important to you.
- THEN see how much else you can do.
- Don't spend energy and time on what matters less, or you'll slow down your recovery.
- Don't be depressed about not being able to do as much as you want, or used to.

Like budgeting money, time and energy are finite resources.
Spend them on what is really most important to you.
Frustration is less when you know your highest priorities are being taken care of.

Corey

But ya see- there will be plants that will need a new home... you wouldn't want the poor babies to be orphans, would you? *sniffle* Pooooor sad little homeless plants... hanging around the strip malls, begging for change to buy plant food... you've got to save them!

My poor little garden is a mess- all that heavy rain flattened so many things... argh.

I don't need any more plants right now- with all the bulbs I have coming, plus the trades, plus all the new seeds I'll be winter sowing, I'll have more plants than room again. Go figure. LOL how does that happen?

Any time is really okay with me- I have no schedule other than the occasional medical appointment these days, so whatever works for you is fine. And I guess there's no real reason to wait two weeks, if next week is open for you, that would be fine too- as long as we're not having another round of pouring rain. Bleah.

Wise words, Corey. :)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Real men just keep working as the pain gets worse. Pony take the time to load up on testosterone and say heck to the dr. LOL. I had to wait for over 2 months to get an appointment with my orthopod. I haven't been able to move my right middle finger since I groud off my boat bottom Sunday. I have had to explain to all my clients why I am giving them the bird. Boat hits the water tomorrow at high tide! Maiden vayage to my slip in the marina. I hope I have all the holes plugged.

Ummm... I can never hope to be as manly as you, Steve- so I'll just continue as I am. Thanks, though! ;p

Bon Voyage, and I hope you can stop flipping everyone off soon... o.0

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

In New Jersey, we all considered that the State Bird.

Safe and happy trip, Steve. (PS I hope you had a survey done on the boat. This is the voice of (bad) experience speaking.)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Nobody in AK surveys boats. I love the adventure of gambling. I have bought 8 boats so I know fiberglass, rigging, and have to know diesels to rely on their simplicity. Today was fun motoring up Wrangell narrows to my slip in the pouring rain. Landed at my slip and stepped onto the dock with line in hand. All went well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.