Apropos of Nothing v.19

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1122778/

This thread can't be derailed because there's no topic. HA!

WARNING- there may be discussion of guns, tattoos, pest removal or other potentially 'horrifying' subjects. If you can't handle that, this is not the thread for you. Disagreeing about a subject is okay, flaming people is not.

Thumbnail by the1pony

A friend of ours that we haven't seen in over 4 years just came to visit the gimpy Pony. It was so good to see her again! See what I have to do to get my old Seattle friends to come visit? hehe.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

One way to motivate yourself to be gentle with your new shoulder for a while is to take and print a few pictures of its worst-looking stage of recovery. Kinkos or The UPS store will do one-page color printing for cheap.

Tape one to the wall where you keep your garden tools until you're sure that over-use will not put you back into trouble.

Restraint made easy.

And get well soon!

Corey

LOL! Corey, that's twisted. I like it. hehe.

Good to see ya here, by the way. :)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thnaks! I had / have leg problems that partly came about through putting work before helath (and partly my stupidity). One great nurse nagged me mercilessly ("shared her wisdom firmly") and suggested this plan. Later she explained that she also tended to put work and others before taking care of herself SO DON'T DO THAT! For now.

"Fortunately" my leg looked hideous for a while, and they made dire threats if I didn't take better care and do many things better, including unspecified "don't let this happen again!".

Anyway, that scared me into doing anything I could to take better care and not recur.

If there is any way that your shoulder could act up again, may I urge you to go and do likewise?
Doing less now may let you do more later, sooner, and longer.
I found that even good ideas that won't help my leg a bit, like better diet, are still good ideas!

Corey

I *am* taking it easy- honestly! LOL I love how everybody is assuming I'll misbehave. ;p Trust me, after 20 years of this shoulder giving me trouble, I'm not gonna take any chances that could screw up the healing process. :)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Joy Creek - hardy fuchsias for sale!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=5169247&fbid=445636612824&id=121228942824&ref=nf

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Amen, Pony!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Pony, What is the flower pictured? It is fantastic! It is good to know that you are planning on taking good care of yourself. I feel for you with the one armed thing... "been there, done that" along with a bunch of you, and although mine was my left (off) hand in a cast, it still sucked! And Laurie is right... I forgot that one of the hardest things was getting your pants on!

Corey, I love your idea for "overuse" prevention after an injury. I think that that would make someone even as stubborn as I am have a second thought before overworking a healing body!

Kathy, as for the fuchsia sale... you are just plain evil! I have been planning on adding several varieties because the hardies are just sooooo cool, especially this time of the year. I have not been overly tempted though, because most places don't carry a large assortment. I had to go and look, and I can tell you that I will have to be making at least a small order...... :{

Julie, the flower is a Tigridia. Like DLs, the blooms last just a day. I have a couple of yellow ones too- will try to get a pic of them next time they bloom.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

:-) Sorry, Julie. But how can you resist that?

At least I didn't mention to you guys that Molbak's had a buy one, get one free sale on perennials last weekend. I didn't think I'd ever see the day (and I may never see the day again). Literally, there were gallon pot Heucheras for $16.99 that were included in the sale. Yes, the price of one Heuchera might have been too much, but to get two at that price would have been lovely. I got a couple Licorice and some 'giant' Liriope (not in the sale, of course) for my pots in the front.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I could add to the evilness.....Edelweiss perennials is having its fall open house the 25 & 26th, with plants 25-50% off.....and Cistus is having a driveway sale that same weekend, Saturday only....So, one long day down here picking up those hardy fuchsias and you could get into some serious trouble!! ;)

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

I need some patpatpat on the back with a few there theres. My drawing class has been cancelled. Not enough sign ups (bl**dy credit crunch I say!) - I am glum. I have my bag already, pencil sharpener, Tick,paper, Tick, pencils (looking lightly used) Tick, eraser, Tick, nifty little thermos flask, Tick, schedule rearranged, pictured myself coming and going. I've even been practicing drawing the cows so my sketch book didn't look too new (cow licked it for me - ewwwwww, she liked it).

They say there might be one at Easter (kicking dirt) glumglumglum.

Sigh.

Poo.

Glum. Nuts. PBlah.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Laurie, patpatpat! That must be so disappointing! But at least you can still carry on drawing, no? Cows sound like quite a challenge, frankly; when I was a kid I drew a lot of stationary objects, and also copied pictures out of magazines, although it's a good idea to do at least some three-dimensional stuff to get a sense of perspective and the way an object exists in space and how to depict that.

I have been investigating what to bring on our upcoming trip to France; pastels are too cumbersome, I have found, and don't give me a range of hues, and I've never been good at watercolor. Oils are my preferred medium but they're just too complicated to drag along, plus the pictures take a bit to dry. I found some watercolor pencils, though, and I think they'll work along with a brush and some water; I can blend colors a bit that way. So I got myself a set of those and a handy little Moleskin travel notebook, plus a metal pencil sharpener and an eraser - and a Winsor-Newton travel watercolor kit - and I think I'm all set....

My goodness - you are a travelling art supply satchell - good priority.

Yes, I can still continue (or is it more like start) to draw, put I was looking forward to some guidance/advice/suggestion/tutoring. AND being in the V&A as someone who belonged there rather than as a visitor was really chichi. Cows are surprisingly easy. They actually don't move around much, and they are lovely big sweeps of shape. I recommend them as models. They love a few left over cucumbers from the vegetable patch as payment. don't pay them until the end of the job, or they will drool on your drawings. I've learned from experience.

*patpatpat* There there, Laurie... I'm so sorry the class was cancelled- how terribly frustrating! I know you were very much looking forward to it. I hope they will schedule another one soon.

Well, I might just show them and not go if they reschedule - hmmpf. (Not bl%%dy likely, I'd be there in a shot, but I want to snit for awhile).

thanks pony. I'm feeling better now, I've had two patpats. All done with the snit.

Don't blame you one bit- I'd have a snit too. Actually, to be perfectly honest, I'd probably have gone with a full-blown hissy fit.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ok Laurie look at your hand, start drawing, take dig photo and we will critically comment. You really want to sit with people and talk about anything but work.
Yesterday after a 10 hr day, I worked doing "spring" cleaning until 9 pm. I even defrosted fridge and steam- cleaned carpets, all while the temps soared to 70's here in AK! What is wrong with me?

Laurie, I am terribly sorry that your class was canceled. How frustrating to look forward to something so much and then have it disappear! At least it has given you a reason to develop a closer relationship with your cow model. I bet she would be very understanding if you were to vent to her next time you were drawing her!

Sofer, that sounds like a crummy way to spend even a nice 60 degree evening in AK! Well, actually, it sounds like a crummy way to spend an evening period. On the other hand, the satisfaction that you get in having a "clean" world the next day is awfully nice.

That is not Soferdig posting. That is his alternate identity, who must be a woman with children.

Laurie, i am sorry about your class. It's much more fun sometimes to have a teacher than to go it alone. But you are all prepped for next time!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Re: photo of injury
Julie said:
"I think that that would make someone even as stubborn as I am have a second thought before overworking a healing body!"

Julie, I can totally identify with "stubburn". But gardening and health are both teaching me that reality can be even more stubburn than I can be!

I'm willing to conceed that _flowers_ know what they need.
I'm getting to the point where I'm willing to "do it their way".

Mybe we should apply the same principle to our bodies that we apply to our gardens: give them what they need, and they will reward us well.

In my case, it took a big hammer, applied repeatedly over many years, but the lesson has finally started to sink in.

Corey

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

RickCorey, are you coming to the Roundup this Saturday at JUlie, Sharon's, and my homes? We're about an hour south of you.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

No, I regret that I won't be able to make it. Thank you very much for the invite, and hositng the 'do.

I hope to be able to meet you-all in person some day. Have fun!

Corey

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Corey, where are you in Everett? South Everett or North? To the East of I-5 or West?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Sarvey Wildlife Preserve is looking for young Indian Plum, native Hazelnut, Cascara, Crabapple and other trees and shrubs to add to their wildlife rehab habitats. Apparently the coyotes eat the fruit of the Indian plum.

Anybody interested in digging up a few small trees off their properties? Let me know - I have a contact.

http://www.sarveywildlife.org/

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Use your influence

http://www.wimp.com/catchydance/

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I can't get the dance Kathy what is the little girl doing?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

You need to watch it all the way through . . .

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I'll look at it when I get home in 10 days. No movies in small town AK.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Sofer, we will miss you tomorrow. What would you like us to save for you?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Per their Facebook page, all Hostas, Hebes, Hydrangea macrophyllas, and Cistus at Joy Creek Nursery are 20% off.

Kathy, I would be happy to donate some Indian Plum if id doesn't have to be dug up before the weekend. We have it in abundance... let me know the details.

Sale info will not have such a strong effect on me for the next week or so at least. Mom and I were very very bad girls and went to the Watson's perennial sale at lunch today. Forty percent off of most perennials, and it looked like they had just gotten in a new shipment because everything looked GOOOOD! A wonderful variety of sedum, echis, hosta, hecheuras, galardia, etc. We went a little crazy, but they had some really cool stuff and the prices were pretty darn good. I am sure that Mom will post the evidence later......

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I just happened to have my camera with me.....................

New bed are wonderful motivation!

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

You were VERY bad girls. Look at those Heuchera!

Julie - I'll scope things out on Monday and know more then. I committed to digging this weekend and I have no clue how deep I'm going to have to go . . .

The heuchera I bought ranged from $5.99 to $11.99, all in one gallon pots and very healthy. Added to my growing collection were: Caramel (I already have one, but it is a teeny thing), Lime Marmalade, Sashay, Cheryl's Shadow, and Midnight Rose. We are planning on enjoying our purchases in a way that we never have before....we are just going to bury them pots and all in our new gardens for roundup tomorrow. I have never had the chance to do little plantings like the garden shows do... pack stuff in together and not worry about full sun stuff being mixed in with shade stuff... just make it look good! Then we can plant them in there permanent homes at our leisure with a little more planning than the 45 minutes of daylight that will be left to me tonight when I get home!

Kathy, I don't have any idea how deep the IP's go either. I love them so have never dug/pulled one. Let me know on that front too....

Ooooh... look at all the pretties! :)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

That's an awesome idea. I think you'll find (at least I do) that sometimes shade plants do okay in more sun and vice versa. Those of us living in the woods rarely in the PNW rarely get that truly hot, dry condition anyway. It'll be fun to see what you do.

I'm guessing that the more mature shrubs of the IP go down pretty far as they seed themselves and grow successfully at the base of mature cedar trees where there's pretty much no soil or water that isn't owned by the cedar. I guess the next question is how much of that I have to keep for them to survive. I'd like to at least be able to donate shrubs that were 3' or more . . .

I love the idea that the coyotes eat the fruit. Why wouldn't they? I just didn't ever think about that.

Lake Stevens, WA

Nice haul Ladies! All look so healthy. You will just love that Green Envy Echinacia. I'm working on saving seed from mine to see what might come of it.

I have some heuchera comming to RU as well. I am kind of a nut for them.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

SC, did I already ask if you had Heucheras Amethyst Myst and Obsidian?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.