Practical Matters for Physically Challanged Gardeners #7

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1077214/
Welcome and join right in. We have various health issues but we find ways to continue gardening,sometimes in limted ways. But we get the job done. We laugh together and cry together. We know we have friends that understand.
At the beginning of this last thread we were wondering how to survive the cold weather. But we did it with flying colors. Now we are wondering how to survive the hot weather.Bet we make it with flying colors too.
Vickie

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Mabel Ruth, welcome. I am not an expert on gardening or anything else for that matter, but concerning the grow lights on the lilac. I don't know that it would be particularly helpful. I think the grow lights are mainly to help the little plants that have just germinated. I guess to get them used to light. I think being outdoors, it would have to be something a lot stronger than any grow light I have seen. There is a thread called Propagation and someone there may be able to answer your question with more authority than I can.

Please stay around and join in the chat. I am fairly new here, and it does take awhile to learn the flow of the conversation, but I think you will love it here.

Today, I did the least work of any day this summer. DH went with a friend to do some errands, and I went out and cleaned the pool of leaves that landed there during a storm last Wednesday, and when I finished that, I folded a load of laundry that had finished while I was outside, and then I sat and read, got sleepy and napped, and then read some more. Supper was easy, burgers on the grill, corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes. It felt wonderful, and I may have to plan another day like that soon.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi all, I didn't do much today but watch baseball on TV and love on my kitties and Elvis. I am pretty irritated at myself too. over the past few weeks I have noticed that many of my pants have gotten very tight on me. When I don't have any appointments and stay inside I usually wear one of a few very comfy long tshirt type of summer beach dress. I worked very diligently and lost 40 lbs over about a 1 year period, which I was holding fine at....until these past few months. Ice Cream on sale has repeatedly hopped itself into my grocery cart numerous times and the Pappa Johns Pizza man has delivered a few "works" pizzas to my house. My Dr says that since I have come off of all my opiate pain meds things taste better and I ammore alert & naturally going overboard. She says this isn't unusual. I say, I have gained 30lbs $%%&*%!! LOL My future will once again return to my diet of fresh veggies and fruit, including snacks and fun food. It is just uncomfortable this way! I'm OK standing...well...this may be why my knees have been giving me fits, now that I think about it. but when I sit it just isn't comfortable.
Elvis has been to the vet 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Somehow he completely sliced the thick black sole of one of his rear toes. It is going to take a long time to heal and of course means that I should keep him from walking on hard or rough surfaces. So much for our fitness walks. Also he has fatty tumors all over his little (well used to be little) body, and one of the newest one is completely encircling his right rear leg an even goes up into his groin and wraps toward his back. At his age surgery to remove or reduce these things would be impractical and not in his best interest. I pray that My Poodle boy is with me a few more years. the realization that his future is probably not very long just tears me up. Two deaths that I absolutely don't know how I will survive are Him and my Mom who just turned 79.
thanks for being there m=for me to ventilate to .
Sorry for seeming so down.

Hugs all around,
~Sheri & Elvis
edited to add Elvis signature

This message was edited Aug 7, 2010 10:49 PM

This message was edited Aug 7, 2010 10:50 PM

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
mulege, Mexico

Today I talked to my friend Michael and his mother is having her 100th birthday. They are both in LA and the city government makes a big deal about a person turning 100 so everyone will be turning out to see her get a certificate or something. I've known Michael for more than twenty years and he has been "fixin' to die" most of that time. Has survived prostate cancer and several other things that probably should have killed him and keeps going.

Tony and I did some clean-up today. As usual, he did more than I did. I do point well; then I'm back at the puter.

Had a good talk with my niece tonight. She is happily married and has a good job. She tells me I helped her to escape many of our famly problems.

Tomorrow I will be attacking the epi jungle. And I have lots of little plants and trees to pot up.

Pleasant dreams, everybody.

hugs, katie

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi, Mable Ruth, welcome to the thread! I’m from the deep south so don’t know much about lilacs, but can’t they be propagated from cuttings? If so, you could propagate some cuttings and still have the plant that you have an emotional attachment to. That still leaves the problem of the mother plant in an unsuitable place, but, once you have thriving cuttings, you could pay someone or trade for their services to have it removed.
I just had some Clementine oranges taken out because I’m trying to simplify my landscape and build more living space. It was hard because I had brought them up with me from Florida when they were only a few feet tall. I didn’t choose to propagate more of the Clementine’s because I’m replacing them with the Owari oranges that are better suited to this part of the south. I struggled to remove them myself with a bow saw, at first. But, the trees were over 20 feet tall and their trunks were thick. It took a friend only a few seconds with his chainsaw. I traded for his time and work with plants I had around he wanted.
I was stung by a yellowjacket yesterday. I may have to go tomorrow to get the shot that stops the allergic reaction, if the Benadryl doesn’t work. My hand is swollen and itches like crazy. Yellowjackets were building a nest under the curved lip of a large pot. Something to keep in mind when moving your containers around, Vickie. It never occurred to me wasp would do that.
Jim is jewelry making today. Our GD’s b’day is coming up and he couldn’t find anything at the store he thought suited her so he bought beads and tools to make her something special. He says he is going to start jewelry making and simple sewing to keep his fine muscle skills. A “use them so you don’t lose them” approach. It certainly can’t hurt. Kay*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Boy, I bought my DDs all kinds of pretty beads and tools and equipment and whatever for Christmas one year expecting to acquire a cache of custom-made jewelry - didn't work. But let the past be the behind, right? Maybe I should have SAID "would you please make thus-and-so for me?" I figured if they wanted to, they would have. Maybe they were too young or too old.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I know mableruth's "real" name. Most of us on this forum know each other well enough to use our actual names, not our screen names, and we even have a thread where we list all the screen name / real name combinations so the muddle-headed among us can keep it straight (I lead the pack, which is why I started the thread).

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103477/

There it is so you can keep us all straight, and when you're ready, I'd be happy to stick you in there too. BTW, you asked on another thread - I'm in a wheelchair fulltime, or bed. It stinks.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL I bought myself all kinds of pretty beads, years ago but hav'ent used them much.I just don't care much for jewelry I've got more craft junk around then i could use the rest of my life.
I really really need to have a yard sale.Neither of the girls cares a pittance for crafts,
We're having an invasion of tent worms right now, DH always burned them but it's way too dry to do any burning.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oooh, don't burn. Did I tell you I once had a yard sale? I made $75. DH said he would have paid me $75 NOT to have the yard sale, LOL.

Midland City, AL

*Frayed thread woven in from Practical Matters #5.

I gave up the hunt for marigolds. All the nurserymen I talked to said they wouldn't be getting them until Sept. I'm learned more about how large nurseries operate. Think I will get acquainted with more of the small, specialty nurseries in the area. I chose snapdragons and red and purple (of course) pentas.
There is still some touch up painting for me to do and MK still has to level and surface the ground to give wheelchair users a clean, smooth surface. This size and shape of bathtub was an unusual find. I think it will work well as a planter because you can get in close as you would with a tabletop planter. ~Nadine~
Photo: Amargia gives a whole new meaning to "garden-style tub."

Thumbnail by Sansai87
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Smart, Nadine. Little nurseries may not have your marigolds, but at least they can talk intelligently about why or why not. Is it too late to start them from seed?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL LOL LOL just read Nada's comment about a disabled plant! That is NOT WHAT I MEANT but it is hysterically funny. Any plant that needs extra water or fertilizer or staking (dahlias, anyone?) to survive could be considered disabled! I won't allow those high-maintenance plants onto my property. Well, unless DH buys them.

He went past a nursery that was having a going-out-of-business sale, 50% off everything, so he bought three dahlias and planted them in my low-maintenance sandy front garden where if you want extra water you better haul it yourself! Helenium, black-eyed Susan, coreopsis, monarda, and he stuck the dahlias out there and left them alone and wondered why they weren't doing well! *snort* I could barely keep a straight face. "What do you mean, these aren't perennial?" No, dear, not in z. 6 and not in this part of the yard! I pruned the dead blooms off and watered them all and got them to bloom again but .... silly husband! Btw, TOMORROW is our tenth anniversary! I'm so excited!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Happy Anniversary to you both! :-D

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
Carrie & Ray
(Uh-h-h, it is "Ray", isn't it? I hate this getting old and forgetful stuff.)

Thumbnail by Amargia
mulege, Mexico

I'm home. good trip. i'm hot and tired. more later but i'm fine.

katie

~~~Hi Katie!~~~
Welcome home! glad your trip was good. hope you can get a good rest, maybe in the room with the a/c. loooking forward to hear aboout your trip and adventures.

Sheri

Midland City, AL

Photo: Nadine's disabled Sunflower LoL.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Midland City, AL

I certify that this is my original work. seacanepain edited it by putting a frame around it, though. I made it especially for this thread.

-Nadine Hanna

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

The Issue with the Photo has been addressed on the other thead .

Sarge.

Ya know what.......I think most of us could figure that out without your intervention. Do you think you are our TI or something?

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

BirdieBlue,

Many do not watch the thread once the new thread is posted .

i was not belittling any one or iterveaning for anyone I am nothing more than a member myself and the issue was with me and another member i did not want to D-mail them as a pose to letting them know the public appolagy was posted.

Sarge.

And many do...we have all been here a pretty long time......here again, it is not necessary to be our "guide dog" either.
..... last post from me on this.....it's getting pretty rediculous.

Sheri

(Debra) Garland, TX

Sheri:

I don't believe he meant it that way. I understood his comment to be informational only and an attempt to help. He also apologized to everyone, including you, for any misunderstanding. I think his contrition can be accepted as genuine, and we can simply do what you suggested: drop the entire matter and move on. :-)

Debra

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Have a nice day BB

Sarge

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

debra,

you are correct

thank you

Sarge

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow, I'm glad I missed that little brush fire. Are we all OK now?

I like Nadine's disabled sunflower although I am always expecting aluminum crutches. I suppose a sunflower couldn't exactly go to a rehab hospital or physical therapist and be issued aluminum crutches.

OH WOW! I didn't scroll up far enough! Thank you, Debra and Kay! Yes, it's Ray, although as he hasn't agreed to be on the real name screen name thread I generally try to refer to him as DH. The party was fine, according to DH there was not enough meat and too much cheese and too many vegetables at the luncheon, we only had gluten-free cake from this new 'wonderful' GF bakery and it tasted like cement, I really wanted walnut torte but got talked out of it, blah blah blah, but the ceremony was REALLY lovely and I wish you ALL, each and every one, could have come. DD#1 was a witch, but that's another story.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine, I can't wait to see what other flowers you make for us! We can scan it to computer, make t-shirts, mousepads, mugs...all kinds of stuff! :-D

Debra

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You can upload it to zazzle.com or there's another, less expensive place online my second daughter knows about - and design your Tshirt right there.

Midland City, AL

Thanks for the idea, Nada. I like this better than the garden critters with limitations one. I’m going a different direction with that.
I think I saw a morning glory that needs a w/c. I got up this morning early enough to see morning glories. Oh, the sacrifices I am willing to make for my art! Lol.
Bad computer day. I just did a post and lost everything because I neglected a Java update. Time to turn this system over to the computer gremlin exterminator. (a.k.a. Papa Jim) Have a good evening, All. ~Nadine~

I just spoke with Scraps/ Stephanie. She says it has been a crazy summer, and that computer issues are keeping her away for now, but that she will be back sometime.

Steph sends her love and prayers,

BirdieBlue

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, good! I'm glad she's ok, still remembers us, etc. Please pass on our greetings next time you speak with her. I miss her dearly.

Nadine, what kind of MG needs a WC?

This message was edited Aug 24, 2010 8:26 PM

(Debra) Garland, TX

I get confused on the different threads. Posted this last night on #5.

23 of the last 25 days at or above 100 degrees. Record-tying highs on Sunday (105) and yesterday (107). My poor plants are shriveled and brown and really really pitiful looking. Was feeling unhappy because lots of new plants aren't going to make it. But, then today it occurred to me. No mosquitoes! Too hot to be outside, but if I could--no bites!!! LOL And it is a little exciting to think about October and November, seeing what did survive when it pops back up. Have 15 Route 66 and 15 Sienna Sunset Coreopsis, 10 new Gauras, and about 20 different Baptisias coming early-mid September, so there will be lots of fresh 'stuff' to replace what dried to straw. :-)

Debra

BUT YIPPEE YEA HOORAY!!!!! Woke up this morning to a nice, steady soaking rain.

LOL

(Debra) Garland, TX

(cartwheel) (cartwheel) (cartwheel)

Midland City, AL

lol. Carrie, a morning glory the color of a night sky that I want to capture on paper I think it’s called ‘Grandpa Ott’s”. There are some raspberry colored ones and some that are an intense sky blue, but it is the dark blue ones I like best. .
I’m starting to like getting up early to mow and sleeping thru hot afternoons. The flowers are prettier and perkier in the early morning. The enormous blooms of the moonflowers are still open and you can see how MGs came to have their name.
Some of the groundcovers are blooming. I’ve learned that soapwort and leadwort look much prettier than they sound. lol. I wonder why so many plants have “wort” as a part of their common name?
MK is leveling and doing concrete work in the w/c garden. PJ is house cleaning and grumbling about the dishwasher and how shoddy design and workmanship has become. The model of Maytag dishwasher we have has been re-called by the manufacturer as a fire hazard. We will be doing dishes by hand for a week or more. How did our great-grandmothers find time to do everything they needed to do!
Before my nap I need to get the latest basil harvest in the freezer and I want to try a new zucchini bread recipe. Also, see how dried, crumbled chocolate mint will taste blended into chocolate cake batter.
I think I know where your missing mosquitoes went, Debra. This has been the wettest August I can ever remember. We are accustomed to being dry roasted in August. Not, steamed. ~Nadine~
Photo: Something in MKs wildflower area.

Thumbnail by Sansai87
Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

you are welcome about the flower idea *g I have a pair of wooden crutches and a pair of HOT PINK crutches! I have a real pretty mexican cane, and one made for me by a friend that is just pretty wood.

Cleaned and sorted the storage room under the deck Monday. Found duplicates of just about everything. I have 5 measuring tapes and 7 different levels. I don't think "I" have ever used a level in my life! *giggle

We cut and started putting together gates for the deck yesterday. I will post pics as soon as I take some. We had to put up fencing around the deck cuz we built it for adults and now have a 2yr old (the spendels are too far apart). The gates are cuz there are so many openings and stairs that she could get hurt. Right now at least two of us has to stay with her on the deck since she is so spry. We are trying to make it safer so we don't have to watch her the whole time and can do something ourselves.

Thumbnail by renatelynne
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hey all, We had plenty of the hundred* temps too but today it's in the 80,s.
I've had both cataract surgerys and have to wear dark glasses or patches for awhile, Can't see a thing with glasses. But DO have permission to drive. LOL Everything is on hold for awhile. Till it cools off and i can see.
Today is the first day i've done anything but sit!!! Man oh man do i have a lot of housekeeping to catch up with. We still have'nt had any rain---Maybe this weekend.
Carrie hope you had a great anniversity!
Debra will you try to send some rain on my way if you get any.Thank you again for the puter.
Sarge, Got any good partys planned? How about Halloween?I'll bring some Halloween candles and a black cat!!!!
Rena, You can send either of those canes my way anytime now. They are beautiful.
It is totally amazing how fast those little ones can move.You can't wait for little ones to learn to walk. than spend the rest of your life wondering why you ever did.
I have some of the med blue Grampa Otts that went wild. There are some white ones over there too that i don't know where came from.
I held a level once -----For DH for our porch.
I don't remember what lead plant looks like but i love soapwort too.
Birdie, How's Elvis and Kitty?
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

What a gorgeous cane! Just thinking, it would look pretty with Grandpa Otts MG twined around it. Not a suggestion, just a flight of fancy. Nadine, you are adapting to the same schedule that warm climate dwellers all over the world who wanted to get anything accomplished before AC used: get up early while it's c-o-o-l and then take a siesta when it's too hot.

It's rainy and cold up here - go figure!

Midland City, AL

Just found out "wort" is the archaic Middle English word for plant. "Wyrt" in Old English. That makes sense. I couldn't get an association with warts out of my head. lol.
Next time my ankle gives me trouble I'll have to see if crutches come in purple. If not, I guess I can always paint my ho-hum wooden ones. ~Nadine~

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

The cane is up for grabs over in the swaps/trades fourm.

KayLynn is nearly 2 and it just seems like yesterday that she was born. I never thought about having a child around since I didn't have any but with her and her mom living with me it is nearly like having one of my own... I just don't have to do all the hard work! *g

Thumbnail by renatelynne
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kaylynn is a doll.A lovely huggable doll.
I guess all the worts have been in use a very long time.
Nadene,I vote you paint your crutches purple with lil yellow daisys.
It did'nt get as cool as
predicted but maybe tonight.
Is Jim and Kay ok? Seems lke i have'nt heard from them in awhile. Glad you're here.
Vickie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.