Practical Matters for Physically Challanged Gardeners #7

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's it, Nadine, I knew it was something totally logical. I wish that lovely cane would do me any good, but alas, no. Tell Jim and Kay the canna they sent me, while lovely and mostly interesting, just doesn't have enough warm time up here to bloom. I think the ones I see in containers are grown in greenhouses.

Midland City, AL

Kay and I are still around. We’ve just been lurking the last couple of days. DW has been doing earth moving and concrete work. Those tasks exhaust her. She doesn’t stay awake long after she comes in for the evening
I’ve been a little under the weather. Nothing serious. Just feeling blah. Today was a productive day though. Halfway done with cleaning the closed-in back porch that functions as my workshop. Everyone has been complaining the path thru from the outer to the inner door was getting so narrow that soon only really skinny folks would be able to come in the back door. (Not many of those around here. :-) I’ve been promising to clean things up as soon as it cooled off some. It was a bearable 88 today.
Nadine got a tough lesson in the darker side of nature. She is ticked with Fenny and I. I lost most of my apple crop to deer. They even ate all the figs. I took off Fenny’s perimeter collar and gave her the freedom to guard the entire property. She took down a deer. Nadine found the remains when she went out early to mow. . She doesn’t really have a weak stomach. I think it just surprised her Fenny would kill. Fenny is such a goofy, sweet natured dog. Nadine’s little dog would chase down rabbits. Then, nudge them to get them to run more so he could chase them more. That was her image of how dogs behave toward wild animals. I think Fenny is part Rottweiler, a naturally aggressive breed. Nadine has decided Fenny is “too wolf-y” and needs to be made more civilized. She believes more attention and human companionship will accomplish that. They are bonding over a manicure. I doubt Fenny will do it again (even if she could) for fear her young mistress will paint her toenails again I don’t think frosted pink suits Fenny’s hair and eyes. If this does happen again, we’ll have to get Fen her own polish in a peach shade.
A handsome cane and a beautiful little girl! I'm doing much the same thing on our front deck for the same reason. The GS's think it is fun to jump off. I got halfway around with the lattice before it got so hot. Have to clean up the workroom first though to find what I need. lol.
Well, Carrie, I guess, we'll have to come up with another idea for our excess cannas. I don't think there is any hope of marketing them as inexpensive annuals in New England if they don't flower. I doubt anyone will want to grow them just for the foliage. Thanks for trying. This means Nadine will have to develop a recipe for the purple canna indica before they take over the property. You know they will use me as the taste testing guinea pig. The chocolate mint cupcakes were fantastic, but one of these days...... (Jim)
Photo: tater-dog & Fenny.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
(Debra) Garland, TX

Those are great looking dogs. :-)

Midland City, AL

I’m just trying to change Fenrira’s image in other people’s minds. It is bad for a dog as large as she is to get a reputation as dangerous. If, say, something happened to one of the neighbor’s goats or other livestock, people will blame Fenny. That is just the way people are. Fen ignores other animals unless they come into what she considers her territory. Tater is far more dangerous than Fenny. She bit a newspaper reporter who got overbearing with Momma Kay and grabbed her arm. Fenny goes belly up to Tate in a New York minute when Tate is mad. People see Tate as old and harmless. No one is afraid of her because she is kind of cutesy. Fenny has the opposite problem. Besides, there is a pet costume contest at a nearby pet store at Halloween. I bet Fenny could win if I can get her used to the idea of being dressed up. Since I don’t have Cando’s black cat, I’ll have to make do with a black dog.
Sheri, is your dog really named Elvis? I like that!
Nada, tell KayLynn I love her raincoat. lol. I’ve never been over to the swaps. I’ll have to check it out. DG has a lot more stuff going on than I first realized.
Carrie, I’m not surprised the plants up there are confused by the weather. I certainly was. Temperatures were so variable and unpredictable.
Debra, we will be moving a bed of rose verbena shortly. Do you already have that? It blooms reliably in dry, hot conditions. Of course, I love it. It’s purple. Lol.
Planted broccoli and carrots today. When I was very young, I couldn’t figure out why my Dad called them “cool season vegetables” since they are most often planted here at the hottest part of the year. ~Nadine~

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Rose verbena sounds lovely. Do Hummers go to it?
Yes Elvis is really my BFD's (best friend dog's) name. His entire name is KyMiNyLilElvisLuvsMeTndr. The KyMiNy is the kennel name he is from, those 3 states being where their first 3 Champions of Elvis' Pedigree were achieved.
He's been my best bud, lifesaver and watchdog for 14 years now!

Hugs,
Sheri

Oh heck, the watermark is over his sweet face again.

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine,

I've had verbena in containers and think they would be really good in the beds. Love the colors and the form.

Any stranger who touches any part of Kay without her permission SHOULD be bitten! :-) But I know what you mean about perceptions.

Debra

Midland City, AL

In all, it cost over $1000 to get Tater-dog out of trouble, but PJ said it was still worth it. lol. Miss Vickie, I was researching the idea of doing an Amargia’s plant of the week thing for locals and I ran across a fun website that might be of interest to you. I was looking at how others had done the project and found the University of Arkansas does a “Plant of the Week” thing like DG does. Just specifically for Arkansas. I liked it enough to bookmark it. http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant_week.htm
I now see the value of specifically local knowledge. I have to unlearn much of what I learned from a gardening neighbor in CT. The rules can change big-time with locale.
Sheri, I haven’t noticed any hummers at the Homestead Purple verbena, but butterflies and moths are crazy about it. I think the hummingbirds are too busy defending their chosen “flower” on the feeders PJ puts up. They go so far as to buzz people’s heads to let it be known their feeders are empty. There are a few more birds every year. PJ just puts up more feeders. :-)
I read somewhere ‘Homestead Purple’ occurred as a natural mutation in GA and was discovered by a couple of famous plantsmen who introduced it into the nursery trade. I know it looks like a giant version of what grows by the roadside in the SE. It does move around like some comments on PF say. MK’s theory is that it grows so prolifically it all but exhausts the soil in its allotted space in a single year, and wants to move to an adjacent fresh area the next year. We are moving it to a space that gets regular fertilizer to try to overcome its gypsy tendencies. Also, will try treating it sort of like an annual and just moving a few new roots to a different spot every year. The way it blooms when little else does makes it worth the effort. That shade of purple pairs well with anything. It can go wherever you want an extra punch of color. ~Nadine~
Photo: Your very own Sunday comic

Thumbnail by Sansai87
(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine, I love the wheelchair morning glory, too. Would you do me a favor, would you copyright the drawings? If you ever wanted to expand on the theme, it would be a good foundation and would protect your rights. All you have to do is write "Copyright [your name] 2010" on the bottom somewhere.

Debra

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

yes, to protect your idea. I have seen people just encircle a small "c" (sort of like this-@, but c) and them their name.
you definitely have got some good and cute ideas!!

Sheri

Midland City, AL

Thanks. These were just my gift to the people on this thread, but I'll do as you suggest. I'll edit the ones I've submitted and you can tell me if I did it right.
I'm not satisfied with the color on the w/c morning glory. I thought I would download it and play with the color on one of the art programs like paintshop. I'm just most comfortable working with colored pencils. ~Nadine~

cant edit pictures in DG edit window but from now on i do as you suggest.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010 2:15 PM

(Debra) Garland, TX

Does the system allow us to delete the photograph and reload it with an updated version?

Midland City, AL

If it does, I can't see how.
For the information of those coming in from PM#5: I’ve always wanted my very own scarecrow likeness. It’s about time I got one! Everyone else has had one. BTW: I think I will dress up as a Granny Goon for Halloween. I’m a great admirer of GG’s.
Carrie, when I went out trick-o-treating and saw those darkened houses I always imagined the inhabitants sitting in the dark, hunched over the bowl of candy corn, pumpkin peeps and black M&M’s with wolfish grins on their faces, whispering, “Mine. Mine! All mine!”
Speaking of Halloween peeps, Miss Vickie, you have to try roasting those. Over a utility candle, if you must, turning them slowly around until the sugar melts and forms a nice brownish shell. Roasted ghost peeps are a Halloween favorite of mine. Hope we can have a bonfire this year.
There are small kids around at Halloween so décor is more whimsical than spooky. Lots of “Winnie the Pooh” decorations. I’m not sure if that is because of the kids or because MK is a collector of all things Tigger. Tigger shows up on the Christmas tree too. Funny though, she’s always made me think more of Rabbit. ~Nadine~

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

My sister LOVES tigger. I'm always on the lookout for stuff that she will like.... And when it is just too childish.. I get it for her daughter *g

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Well, Tigger does have perfect Halloween colors. lol.
I’m going to classify today as an aster disaster. (It really wasn’t that bad, I suppose. I just couldn’t resist subjecting others to my word play.) I have been trying to ID and log Amargia’s asters. I had no idea there were so many types of asters. A lavender New England aster and a white heath aster are blooming. At least, that is my best guess. They are pretty whatever kind they are. Thus far, not very large and well behaved. One gardener's weed is another gardener's exotic, I guess.
How is your vision now, Vickie? There is more taped reading material on its way. I’ll mail it myself this time so it doesn’t have so many “adventures” on the way to the post office. :-) Have you given the new computer an unprintable name yet? :-) When I left the work force, a DOS was cutting edge for a computer. I didn’t touch a computer for more than a decade. Thought I was never going to catch up with things! The computer and I had an on-off, love-hate relationship for almost a year before it became a committed relationship.
Heads up, Sheri. Oxalis and a couple of lilies are on their way.
Debra, has it started cooling down there? We have already started having nightime lows in the 60's. Surprisingly early for that.
I think I’ve almost convinced Jim to get his own scooter or motorized wheelchair. Grocery shopping totally wiped him out and the store doesn’t always have a motorized shopping cart available THAT WORKS. One cart got halfway to the back of the store before the battery gave out. Jim was able to limp it back to the front entrance. The 2nd one he tried didn’t make it very far out of the storage area before it quit. He gave up and asked Nadine to get a push cart after the 3rd one quit before they made it to the checkout. He said he did more walking trying to use motorized carts than if he had grabbed a push cart from the start.
In our endeavor to use what the garden provides more imaginatively, Nadine made something called Okonomiyaki tonight. A Japanese dish somewhere between a pizza and a pancake. Cabbage and scallions are fried in a batter with spices and topped with ground pork, either I’m going to have to learn to spell it from memory or make up my own name for it because it is a keeper!
Hope everyone has a good night and a pleasant, pain-free tomorrow. . Kay*

oh oh... tell us how you made it. Always up for something new.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Kay, its dropped out of the 100s. Didn't get much past 90 today, had some light rain and cloud cover most of the day. Fingers crossed the weekends cool fast. Lots of preparation for the 73!!! plants coming in the next three weeks or so. First time on a co-op. Hoo-boy. Talk about addiction potential. LOL

After reading her posts and seeing her creativity, I think Nadine's coming south is a gift to all of us. :-)

Hope everyone is having a good week.
Debra

Midland City, AL

Ah-h-h Shucks. (blush) I appreciate you everytime I walk out on the front deck, Debra. It smells so good out there!
Nada, I originally got that recipe from “The Manga Cookbook”, most of my recipes either come from that or “Kitchen Princess” which is a manga with recipes at the end. (Sort of like a mystery series MK reads where the main character is solving crimes when she is not baking cookies. KayLynn will probably be telling you more than you ever wanted to know about Manga and Anime in a few years. Lol. It is still very popular with kids. Basically, ‘Anime’ is Japanese cartoons or American cartoons done in the Japanese style. ‘Manga’ are the Japanese comic books. They’re a lot thicker than American comic books and read from back-to-front. Kids from kindergarten age to adults collect and trade. I even saw some white-haired ladies at the last Anime convention I went to in Atlanta. Probably “Hello Kitty” fans! Those fans can be as fanatical and devoted as fans of “Star Trek”.. Lol.

Okonomiyaki
½ pound cabbage cut into thin strips
½ green onion diced
¾ cup dashi stock (or ¾ cup replacement stock made by boiling 1 cup of water, a vegetable bouillon cube and a tablespoon of fish sauce)
1 cup of flour
2 tablespoons milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon butter
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Extra mayonnaise for seasoning
Okonomiyaki or Worcestershire sauce
1 sheet of nori seaweed (optional)
1:Combine flour, eggs, stock, milk, baking powder, mayonnaise, butter and vegetables in a large bowl. Stir well. The mix should be the consistency of a thick pancake batter, add ¼ cup flour if it doesn’t seem thick enough.
2: Pour the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add half the mix and cover the pan with a lid while cooking. Cook until bottom is firm and then flip and repeat (just like a pancake!) It browns quickly so be careful.
3: Once Okonomiyaki is done, top with a thin layer of mayo, sauce, and whatever meat and veggies you want on top (I like teriyaki pork as a topping myself), clip or shred nori seaweed on top if you have it. ~Nadine~

thanks guess I will have to try this... sounds interesting. I love cabbage...

(Debra) Garland, TX

Beautiful day, here. Only supposed to get to about 93 today and tomorrow with low humidity. Think I feel like clearing some of the dried, dead, burned up foliage and such. Probably make me happier when I look at the yard to not see all that browwwwwn. LOL Working until 3:30 this afternoon, have to see if the motivation holds that long...

Midland City, AL

I still don’t know enough to do much aside from routine task in the garden, but I CAN cook. That is helpful because it frees up more of MK’s time so she can do more garden work. A situation that suits her just fine. Lol. She’s a real gardening addict.
Papa Jim and I both have serious weight problems. Mine is the “overweight, but undernourished” thing my doctor considers an epidemic among people my age. (23) PJ is the typical meat and potatoes type of guy and is suffering the consequences of such a diet. MK doesn’t have a significant weight problem, but she is prone to cancer if she isn’t careful about what she eats. The preservatives and additives in highly processed and convenience foods cause her problems. I’ve been attempting to create meals that work for all of us. Cabbage is a good source of the vitamins and minerals I need, it is a vegetable PJ honestly likes and any veggie in the cabbage family is said to help prevent cancer. Best of all, it is a vegetable that grows easily here in the fall. I’ll be on the lookout for more cabbage recipes.
A DWARF banana and a canna evidently did not read the specs that said how tall they were suppose to grow. They have committed the heinous sin of covering the satellite dish with their huge leaves. Moving them will be today’s major task. In the future, I will read the pertenent entry in the Encyclopedia of Gardening Plants aloud to every newly arrived plant so this does not happen again.
Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend! ~Nadine

Thumbnail by Sansai87
(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine, that is good. With you there to relieve her of cooking, Kay can get out to her heart's content. :-) I can work on the yard and have growing things all winter here. Doesn't Midland City have a fairly mild winter, too?

Do you use cookbooks, or search the 'net, or create as you go?

Was in the low 60s this morning. Below normal for us, but wonderful. Have the living room window blinds open today for the first time in forever. Doesn't feel so much like living in a cave. LOL

Debra

Midland City, AL

Debra, my Japanese food recipes usually come from a manga source, but the others I snag from all sorts of places. I am making jelly from wild beautyberries today. That will require some making up as I go along. The recipe I have is very basic. Think I can make some improvements. MK once gave me a cookbook called "How to Cook Without the Book." lol.
Did you make it to 3:30? I don't know how you or MK do it. I burn out fast out there and my only physical challenges are my extra weight and a weak ankle. It is very humbling to have a 60-year-old work rings around me. :-) That's okay. We wil be engaging in seasonal tag team gardening. She slows down dramatically when winter gets closer. (Severe case of S.A.D.) While I feel more alive and energetic with the coming of cooler weather.
I think our yearly weather cycle is much like yours. A little warmer, perhaps, and definitely a lot more humidity. Gardening stops around Christmas and starts back up around Maudi Gras in Feb. We get snow on the ground an average of once a decade.
We think we have unraveled the mystery of the giant dwarfs. :-) The outdoor sink doesn't drain into the septic system, but into the irrigation trench. That sink is where MK routinely preps organic fertilizers, washes rooting hormone off her hands and the like. That banana and canna grow just where the sink drain pipe empties in to the trench. They have been receiving very large amounts of water and growth stimulants. We didn't get it all moved. The banana multiplied as well as getting taller. It has seven trunks! We are calling in re-enforcements. I did get the leaves cleared from the satellite dish so I can watch Food Network again. lol. ~Nadine~

This message was edited Sep 5, 2010 4:59 PM

Thumbnail by Sansai87

A blind snapdragon? lol.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Had to make it until 3:30. We've opened a retail outlet for the recycled electronics and it closes at 3:00 on Saturdays. I'm manager on-site for the foreseeable future, so I'm the last one out. Didn't do much work at my desk, and not expected to work in the store; just have to be there in case something goes wrong. But a friend is coming through from New Jersey in a few weeks and the boss will get to be "boss" that Saturday. :-)

(Debra) Garland, TX

It is Labor Day and I am laboring away at work. If you call pushing tiny square boxes on an elongated rectangle work. :-) Think I'll let everyone go home by 3:00. Supposed to be 94 today, but dry. Calling for rain tomorrow so if I can just muster up enough energy to do a little trimming today...LOL...or not...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Love Nadine's stuff!

Midland City, AL

I had a good day. I have not had one of those in awhile.
I discovered I like beautyberry jelly much to my surprise. To me, the florescent purple of the berries just didn’t look like something one should be eating. Their color and odd way of growing in concentric circles around the stem make them look extraterrestrial.
The classic recipe tasted good, but was a little too sweet. Nadine hit a homerun with a low-sugar orange and beautyberry mix. I decided I wanted a winter supply of that so Nadi and I cut a deal. She would make more of the orange kind for me, if I gathered enough berries to make it plus enough for her to do more recipe experiments with. I was able to pick, sort and cleaned beautyberries this morning and was still able to work for awhile in the w/c garden this afternoon. The pain amazingly is no worse than usual tonight. Don’t think I’ll push it tomorrow though. Will try for that level of activity every other day.
Kay just did general clean-up and maintenance today. The plan was Amargia would be closed this season so we could catch up on projects and let daily maintenance ride a little. There simply wasn’t time to do both and we are far enough off the beaten path that we can get away with it. A few weeds aren’t going to hurt anything in the long run, but we dare not let them go to seed.
No flowers yet from any of the fall-blooming bulbs, but the jasmine bush is blooming again.
Debra, what kind of Baptisia are you expecting? I noticed Kay has bookmarked info on co-ops. You do realize you are an enabler! Lol. She was impressed enough with the quality of the geraniums that she just placed an order with that company.
Aren’t you in the vicinity of Lackland AFB, Nada? I did my basic training there.
Have your DDs given you any breathing space yet, Carrie? I’ll take a lack of reply as a “no”. lol. (Jim)
Photo: Found yet another use for my industrial floor fan. De-chaffing beautyberries.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2010 11:18 PM

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sounds lovely, Jim.

Yes, one of them is back in AZ where it is just send me money for this, that and the other thing. The other is a strong contender for Miss Busiest Sixteen-Year-Old Massachusetts. Lessons on marimba, piano and voice, starring in Anything Goes, 5 AP or Honors level courses, Driver's Ed, so she can get her license and start driving HERSELF around --oh, and driving to physical therapy because she hurt her knee dancing in last spring's musical. I'm sure TAP DANCING in Anything Goes will put the icing on the PT. Plus she has a DBF in Connecticut. (!!!!!)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim,

Ready?

Baptisia minor (8)
Screaming Yellow (2)
Midnight Prairieblues (3)
Twilite Prairieblues (2)
Solar Flare Prairieblues (8)

The Screaming Yellow, Solar Flare, and two of the Midnights are going to my sister and my receptionist. The b.minors only get to be about two feet tall and wide, so they will be planted with roses along the front decorative fence. Having to ponder where to place the others. Deep taproots don't get along well with sewer or electric lines. :-0

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

By Texas standards yes I am close to Lackland. By other standards... nope... It takes about 45 min to get there from my house.

I didn't know you could do something with the beautyberry berries. When are they ready?

Raining cats dogs and little elephants here....

Thumbnail by renatelynne
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

B. minors?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I WSd one once; it was adorable and I planted it out but it got lost in the weeds. I lost track of it. :(

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

JIM, re growing your cannas in New England to flower - I got a call for new articles from my editor today, one on her list of suggestions was about canna varieties. Here was my answer:

I could do a little angle on the canna plants, but tell me if it's not enough of what you want. I know people in AL who are trying to raise money by selling their extra, wild cannas. They sent me one this summer. I potted it up but all it did was make magnificent purple foliage, no flower. The greenhouse-cannas planted in the street concrete tubs are all blooming (I don't know what variety) but I can't get mine to bloom. Maybe if they sent it earlier? They figure they need another source of spare money; nobody in New England is going to pay money for lovely foliage-only cannas. (They know exactly what species they sent me.) Is that close enough? of course I can take plenty of photos both of mine in my container garden and the ones blooming in the street.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Where is Vickie?!?!?!?

Midland City, AL

Hello, All. Computer troubles the last few days. Jim says he wants to hardwire the computers again. His older computer doesn’t like the wireless connection.
Well, Carrie. I’m sure you’ve heard that one about idle hands being the devil’s workshop. It sounds like your youngest DD should be safe. :-) Nadine has started working as a volunteer at the Rescue Mission Thrift Store. She is a very social animal and there aren’t as many people around as she is accustomed to since we aren’t open for business this growing season. It was her plan to only volunteer a day or two of her time a week. But most of the volunteers there are older and they are finding many uses for a strong, young back. :-) It will be interesting to see how long she lasts.
To the best of our collective knowledge, the dark leaf canna we sent is Canna indica purpurea. We debated among ourselves a long time over that one because the common name for it among elderly southerners is ‘Tropicana’ canna and it grows larger here than most authorities say it should. But, as Nadine’s picture above shows, the same can be said of many plants growing here. The flowers and rock-hard seeds leave no doubt it is an “Indian Shot” canna. I don’t know of any canna that has more cold tolerance than that one. They are the first up in the Spring and the last to go down in Winter. That is an interesting writing subject I think many people would appreciate. Are there canna especially bred for the north? My sister in VT says she misses canna lilies. She would love some to go near her backyard pool.
Jim constructed another raised bed for the Standing garden. He made it from a couple of old doors we had around and scrap lumber. He then covered it all with that relatively new sheet plastic product designed to resemble and be an alternative to sheets of tin as a roofing material. I had hopes for the product when I bought some to test. It was cheaper than tin sheets. There would be no rusting to worry about. It wasn’t completely opaque like tin. It gave a filtered light that ferns loved. It completely lacked tins durability though. Quickly becoming brittle and cracking easily in the Deep South version of direct sun. I will cover the outside of the raised bed in decorative concrete to keep it from direct sun using it only as a sub-surface water repellent material. We are hoping it will hold up and protect the wood on the inside of the planter, as is. All the stuff we used to make the planter is stuff we would have thrown away in our October clean-up if we hadn’t found a use for it so it is worth a try.
Nada, if the beautyberries are colored up they are ready for harvest, as far as I know. The infusion from the berries doesn’t taste good, but it improves dramatically when you add the sugar or other fruit juices. Tropical fruit and citrus taste best.
Debra, I wasn’t aware of some of those baptisia. I will be interested to hear how that works out. I recently sent Vickie a package, but I haven’t heard from her in weeks. I hope she is just out camping.
This time of year is our traditional time for re-thinking and revising. Deciding what worked during the last growing season and what didn’t. We are moving from a more individual, parallel approach back to a more communal way of working. I’ve been moving raised beds and plants out of what were individual plots and transforming what were specifically the Wheelchair Accessible and Standing gardens into one large communal garden where everyone works side-by-side and shares equally in the bounty. That system seems to work better for people with physical limitations because you can draw on one another’s strengths and compensate for one another’s weaknesses, like the way Jim and I work together. He is my eyes and I am his legs and back and we are able to move forward as a single entity. It requires trust and is not for those with ego issues, but it is the best system when you have the right group of people. Trying to emulate the way community gardens designed for T.A.P.s work was a mistake. (T.A.P.s=Temporary Able-bodied Persons—everyone experiences some degree of physical limitation, if they live long enough.) We are going back to the way we naturally did things in the beginning before we were labeled a “community garden” and were just a bunch of friends hanging together having fun while helping each other out. Kay*
Photo: Purple canna in flower.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks guys for not giving up on me. I got the puter and tapes.
Have been seriously depressed for several weeks. Decided yesterday. It's either hospital or force myself to get myself together.
LOL even my cat hated me after i brought home 2 kittens from my DD.s She's coming around finally.
Yesterday, I went to Dollar Tree and Hobby Lobby and Walmarts and bought silk flowers and Fall decorating things so i can put my mind to work decorating flower arraingements.I made myself get online and realzed how very much i have missed you guys.
This deprssion makes me think i need to isolate myself from the world and stick my head in a deep hole even tho i know its the wrong thing to do. Still have'nt gone camping!
Thanks Jim , I got the package and have played part of it. Hope to be able to appreciate it soon.Also looking forward to playing with the puter.
I did get the eye surgery. I can see better and was amazed at the colors i have been missing.
Amargia sounds like such a fantastic place.I feel so bad you won't be coming here. I did so much want to load you down with rocks, and maybe a kitten or two. LOL
Carrie, You'll have to talk your DD into making a visit to the Navaho and Hopi Indian Reservations. I hear it's quite an experience and gives a good representation of native americans.Wish i could go.
I was thinking about you when Earl was making his northerly track.
This is getting long and i'll write more tomorrow.
Vickie

Midland City, AL

We're still having computer problems over here, my little purple laptop is the only comp still working in the house right now. Vickie, hearing about kittens makes me want a kitty, Mama Kay and Papa Jim said no to the skunk I wanted. No cute little stinker for me.

Hey Debra, you were right about the thyme, I found this one in the blueberries, lol.

Thumbnail by Sansai87
(Debra) Garland, TX

Kay, I wish we lived closer together. You are so creative and I could steal...um, borrow some of your ideas. LOL

Nadine, that's perfect. :-)

Jim, if you need parts, let me know and I will see if we have them.

Vickie, glad to hear you are okay. I have relatives living on the Navaho reservation, but they are in Shiprock, NM.

Carrie, hope you are feeling better. (hug)

Debra

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

If i ever go to Shiprock,I'll have to look them up.I'll probably just have to dream about it tho.
I have a grey kitten helping me type right now. Wont give her up tho. She's my buddy.A very vocal buddy.
I've been fighting depression all day. Have a councelor appointment tomorrow with DD.Wish us luck.

Watch that kitten, Vickie, it might start ordering stuff online. Hope the counceling appointment went well.

One of my uncles was a teacher on the Zuni reservation in NM and seriously into geology. I just thought Shiprock was the remnants of a volcanic tube? I assume now there is a city near the formation by that name? lol. He didn't mention that. Kay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.