Mid-South Gardeners Members List

Monroe, LA

Monroe, LA

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

Hello lablarry and Welcome

Robbie

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Welcome Dorothy and lablarry. Good to have you!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hello lablarry you are in my neck of the woods. welcome to midsouth.
Cindy

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well...Hi >>> Sarge and all...
I some times keep a watch on Ya'll here.. and sometimes get to some of the RU's.. I caught a bunch at the Florala Meet.. this spring... and one down in LA last year or so
I garden here.. on the roof... and sometimes down your way... in Ardmore AL at the house I built there... got plenty of Brugs I play with there.. along with some other things .. it's more fun.. digging in the dirt at night .. there and seeing the glow worms.. like in the old song... I guess i could grow some on the rooftop... every thing else seems to grow... and I've plenty of earth worms..
I'm about to make the pesto for this year.. just a little longer to develop the crop of basil.. I try and put away 52 packages.. and have one a week through out the year... I used to roll it up in a baggie and freeze it... but then I'd have to heat it to use it.. and that would change the consistancy of it .. heating the parmasan cheese.. so now I put it in the baggie as always... but press it flat.. so when I take it out .. it's like a thin piece of parchment paper.. and i just drape it over the noodles and it's instantly ready to eat.. as it just heats by the noodle heat.. and no change in it's body..
every few years I make a batch of hot peppers from the ones I grow on the roof... they love it there as it's so hot in the summer... I measured it this summer.. the thermometer on the rubber membrane.. it shot up to 162 * F... plenty hot for most everything.. SO I say I'm zone 4-14... I grow an assortment the hottest peppers in the world.. and make the sauce using a differnt alchol every time.. a bunch of rhm... tequila.. or some burbon really gives it an after glow... to the heat... I found a mailorder nursery that listed 135 different hot peppers.. I thought noone has that many.. so I went and paid them a personal visit.. they were about 3 hours down into NJ.. near PA from here.. and they did indeed have about all the ones I wanted ready to go.. the few I didn't get I wanted they mailed out to me a few weeks later .. cute little plants ..some with flowers on them already.. OH I checked the site .. to make sure they were still going.. so I could send the link...now they say they have over 500 peppers and chilies.. and a pile of heirloom tomatoes... I used peppers .. peppers like devils tongue... and Fatale.. and all the bonnets... give them a try.. or at least a look see... and they rate them with the scovil #'s... so with the dozen or so I use ... of the hottest the y have.. i make a kickass sauce...
http://www.chileplants.com/
here's the roof garden here...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I know this is not the right forum but you suddenly popped up here. Some of my brugs have developed thick leathery leaves at the top. What on earth is causing this. I have sprayed with Bayer Systemic Disease Control. Other than the thick leathery leaves at the top they look healthy.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH..I woke up from a short nap and I found myself in not the right place.. for this...
I thought I had done something wrong... then I understood... but it's always the right time /place to get help
UGgg Sounds like braod mites... the scorge of some of mine also... hard to kill... you need a mticide thaat does these specificly.. forbid might be one... I just dropped a pile with a friend on some new one called shuttle... and I don't think it does them... they are tinier than the spyder mites... [ which you can see ] and migrate about on knats or white flies.. that fly about.. ROSEMANIA.com has alot of killers.. get one for braod mites... or some plastic explosives..
I sure wish I was in the area... I'd definately come by for lunch at the meet up.. what would I bring... OH.. I make a great grilling sauce... you take a mango and put it in the blender with a habanero pepper ... and put it on anything on the grill... then after for desert.. you take it and pour it over vanilla ice cream... you get the cold/hot and the only thing to cut the pepper heat is the milk.. it being an oil also.. so you get the affliction and the cure in the same mouth full...
Good luck with the brugs... I have one must be 10 ft tall.. with tiny crinkled up leaves... so sad.. I should burn it.. if only I could have my burn pile here ...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Gordon thanks for the info!! I've not been able to find anything on them. Tiny broadmites explains it. Will get on it today and see what I can find for them! Your grilling sauce sounds great! Wish you could stop by and join us!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi GordonHawk -- This seems like a good forum for you too since you also garden in AL. I loved the pesto idea and am going to use it when I make pesto from my basil plants. I won't make that much as I only have 3 plants but I love the stuff and might expand the basil growing next year. Also loved your rooftop garden. Very cool. Where do you live in relation to the garden ... adjacent, below? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cville

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Hello and welcome to new members!

It's a fun place to be and enjoy yourself!

Linda

welcome GordonHawk and cperdue you will like this bunch of gardeners everybody's nice and talkative.

Robbie

Thumbnail by rh3708
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Charlotte.. well thanks... it sounds like you'll fun there ..I was a delta boy by birth... Cleveland,MS.. and I've a few brugs in Greenville at some relatives there... Yes... brodmites are the worst... and most difficult to rid ones self of ... some say to pick off alll the leaves and spray...others suggest just throwing it away and spraying everything else for them.. I find it hard to do...maybe that's why I still have them..
Cville... well I live just below the garden... it's been up and running for 15 years now... no leaks yet... I'll be the first to know.. I've done lots to minimise the load ... so far so good...
OH good Linda... I hope so... I've been lurking for awhile on and off...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I certainly can't bring myself to just throw them away! I did spray them with Bayer Disease Control about a week ago and I can actually see some improvement. I went out this morning and did pick off some of the leaves. I'm getting ready to go out and search the products and Lowe's and Home Depot and see what else I can find. I have some impatiens that have the same problem and have also noticed it on a tea shrub. So looks like I need to find a whole bunch of some kind of product and get to spraying!!!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

charlotte... you might not have broad mites... but it sounds like you might ... unless your new product says it's for broadmites.. it's likely not going to really work... I don't think hD or Lowes has anything for them... I often use a cocktaail of Seven..bug b gone...malathion... but it doesn't hit the broad mites...you'd think it would ..all that posion... do try to get something that mentions broad mites on he label

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I use bug b gone also. I found the products you mentioned on the internet but thought I would try to find something locally so I can get treatment started soon. I'll read the labels. Maybe I'll get lucky!! We've had record high temps this summer and it is wrecking havoc on everything! It was 104 here this weekend and humid as all get out.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, heck, it would ruin our reputation for good ol' Southern hospitality if you weren't welcome here. I think we welcome everyone. Even a Brooklyn boy. ;-) Hey, I was in CA for 37 years. But you don't appear to be a city slicker at heart. Your brugs are lovely and your garden is a fine one ... even if it is on top of a roof in NYC. Gotta' love that. You could probably teach a lot of us Southern gardeners a thing or two. Cperdue is so right in that the weather this year, especially this summer, has been brutal for a lot of us. Hopefully, it will be coming to an end fairly soon.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I made my run to Lowe's and found a Bayer Advanced product called Insect, Disease, and Mite Control. It doesn't specifically list broad mites but it does list several types of mites. I thought I would give it a try. Hope it actually does some good. I bought 2 bottles (you attach it to a water hose) and thought I would just spray everything! All this heat and drought is causing all kind of problems. I have two groups of folks coming through my gardens this month so I need to keep things looking as good as possible.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

If a new product has never been used before - maybe a small "test" case before a widespread broadcast ?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

I'm ordering 8 oz of Forbid..$289.00... I'd split it with you or with others perhaps split 4 ways... or 8 ways... you only use a smalll amount of it.. so even 1 oz would give 30 gallons of spray....@ 1/4 - 1/8 tsp / gal applications over years... maybe $40 for the oz.. if we can get 8 folks with broadmites to go in on it ... $ 40.00 for 30 Gallons of relief...

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Well that stuff should kill something!! I'd go for the 1 oz at 40.00.
Just sprayed 34.00 worth of stuff this afternoon.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well Charlotte... you're in for the Judo co-op... for others not on the brug forum... I started a co-op for a newer miticide... Judo... signup is on the Brugmansia forum... I think we're looking to split the 8 oz of Judo... which is $335 8 oz.. 16 ways... that's perhaps about $25 each with the bottle and shipping... you can make anywhere from 12 - 25 gallons of spray... depending on concentration....Judo kills all mites.. including the dreadded Broad Mite.. is translaminar...[ you spray the top of the leaves and it kills then underneath ] and it lasts 30 days in the plant... come on over and sign up.. and join the contest for a Brug also

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Great! I sprayed yesterday with my Bayer stuff. We'll see what happens. I read somewhere in researching the little critters during the last several days that overhead watering can help as it helps wash them off. They get overhead water from my irrigation system so that has not helped. Before I sprayed with the Bayer, I did go around and hosed them all down really good. I got the spray up underneath the leaves then after that I sprayed with the Bayer product. I decided I needed to spray with something as all my plants are really packed in tight. I don't have room to totally isolate things. Also since I have noticed similar looking distorted leaves on impatiens and a few other plants.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hey Gordon good to see you dropping in. Tell your Mom Hi. Hope she is still doing well.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well... Cindy....Thanks..
and thanks for asking about her...she's doing well...[ even great ] even through the heat... she says she stays inside during the day... and tends to the dozens of cats and dozens of dogs early and late.. with the plants and yard work...and has learned what the men folk in the family have known for a long time... it's a good thing to take a nap during the day...
She enjoyed the trip ..meeting ya'll there... we'll have to drag her away again for the next one... I had too much work there for her so we couldn't make it this year...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Hendersonville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone!

Stacey - Hendersonville TN

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Stacey and welcome.

Carole

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Howdy! From the SOMA (southside main street) area in Little Rock. This is an image of The Empress Of Little Rock
a bed and breakfast just off main street. GO HAWGS! and vote wisely, not angry folks.

Thumbnail by diggo1
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Welcome Stacey....I'm down the road a bit from you. So I guess we're neighbors on here.
Great group of people in here.
Linda

Hello and Welcome Stacey

Thumbnail by rh3708
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Where has everyone gone? It's so quiet here and over on Sarge's Front Porch. :-(

Is everyone okay?

Carole

Hello Carole
Looks like we are the only 2 around today.
Sarge hasn't been posting for a few now i hope he's OK.

Robbie

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too. Well, glad to hear you are doing okay, Robbie. Maybe it got to be too much hen talk for the men folk. ;-) I do hope everyone is okay.

Florala, AL

Florala,Al here :) hey everyone

Hello Garry and Welcome glad too have ya around.

Robbie

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey Garry -- Are you new to DG?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

welcome Gary...
so.. have you gone to any of the meet ups held at the state park there ...

Florala, AL

@Cville_Gardener---yes I am just joined a few days ago

@GordonHawk---not yet.. missed the one on oct 9th... :(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I just missed the one up in Cadiz, KY in late Sept. ... only a hop, skip, and jump up the road from me (45 miles). I'm still mad at myself about that.

Garry -- What do you grow that brought you to DG?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

... and wait until you see Gordon Hawk's rooftop gardens ... to die for!

Florala, AL

well Pam(gingerlilly) lives a few miles from me and told me about the site... So I decided to check it out... Not dissapointed either :)

Am just starting out really.. Have some herbs and 1 Brug that only grew 12" all year :(... a few cassia alata's , but am hoping to sprout out ..hehehe...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.