June Weather - Growing and Glowing

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Wow Rusty that looks rough!

7 People were killed this weekend in N/W Ohio.
Pretty bad tornado in an area not really known for them.

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Eeeeeek! That's a scary sight, Rusty! All is well with you now?

86º for today.

The storm last night.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I am safe long I am in hill city... (that where the electric wire is middle between 2 poles right there!) It about 10 miles from my home... Only I saw lightning hit so I miss it!...

This message was edited Jun 7, 2010 11:27 AM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I was so sorry about all the bad weather in Ohio over the week-end and I feel badly for all the folks who lost loved ones and homes, businesses, etc. Having been through that during the Cabot tornado of 1976, I know exactly what they are feeling and how it really does look like somebody dropped a bomb.
Sunfarm: your countertop is beautiful. I have seen other concrete countertops on HGTV but none of them looked as pretty as yours.
Ric: It's a gnome hotel! LOL What a neat idea!
Rusty: I'm glad you are okay!
Hot again today--highs in the low to mid-90's all week with only a 20-30% chance of rain any day.

I did get some mowing done last night and a few things planted from the RU.

This is the door prize that I got at the RU. I sprayed it with clear sealer before I hung it on the fence.

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sunfarm, that's very very nice!! Is it glazed or just ground to a polished look? The acid foods is an interesting tip.

How cute is that tree! What a perfect thing to do.

Oh Rusty! How scary. I hope you have a safe place.

Morning Chrissy!

Ric, that was a sad story and terrible pictures of debris.

Celia, your sky looks Biblical!

Mau, an exellent prize! How smart of you to protect it before hanging it.

Well, I drank my coffee before I even finished catching up.

I picked four dishpans of spinach this morning and shared with three people. It's on it's last hurrah. Next will be pulling the plants and plucking.

80* and warmer than I expected. I was hoping for chilly weather to mow in.

This is the tiny cemetary. You know what was nice? All the old peony and daylily plants at the headstones. It looked so much better than the neatly manicured, ''better get your flowers or we'll trash them'' places.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Rusty ~ great picture...better not to have the funnel in your backyard, though..

Ric ~ Yes, the weather has been strange all over the country this year...

Bernie ~ You have the perfect weather right now

It is getting hot now, after all the cold weather and late snow in May even. My cool weather plants are still OK, but I don't know how much longer...I hope the peas and carrots will be OK. The beets and lettuce that are now under the potato foliage are very happy there, and so far the others in sun are OK, too.

No R/U's near me....so I guess I will just have the forums, though I may not be on them much now as there is a boatload of work to do now. All spring was wet, cold, rain and snow...so too cold and/or wet to do much and now the weeds are tremendous. Also I could not plant as well and plants are waiting in my small nursery area to be planted as well as some seedlings that need potting up.

I am beginning to think that I am spending more money on growing from seed than I would if just buying plants, but maybe that is just startup costs...with all the growing supplies and all...any thoughts on that for yourself?

It was near 80° here yesterday, and of course, hotter in the sun. Low of 65° last night, barometer 29.98, dewpoint 48.9°, humidity 46%, winds calm. Right now there are no clouds at all and they are predicting hotter temps for today.

Have a great day everyone and happy gardening!

Evelyn

Picture was from May 11th....

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
(Zone 7a)

LOL It does, doesn't it, BP.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Cool enough too so off to mow.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the lovely words, guys! We also had a storm last night here, in Switzerland. It rained a lot and the thunders and lightnings were too scary for baby Nicholas who wouldn't sleep at all, so I took him with me in the livingroom while his mom slept for about an hour.
The nurse came again this morning to see the baby, but she didn't weigh him, just came to check on him and Andreea's surgery scar. We went out for a walk , then drove to the grocery store to take some water, cheese, eggs, bread. Then we went home and I cooked a hen soup with homemade noodles and a rice with mushrooms, pepper, onion and tomatoes. I just finished washing the dishes and now I have some time to post.
Little Nicholas is sleeping now after he had his bath while the others are watching TV.
Ionut vacuumed and moped the floors this afternoon, while we were out with the baby. He hadn't finished yet when Andreea had to hurry back with the baby because he was crying...he sure is a hungry little man!LOL He already took some weight and started to have round cheeks. I discovered he has dimples in both cheeks, like his mom and his grandfather. He also has their nose and Cici's hair whirl. I have several pictures with him, but one is so cute, when he smiles. I took more pics of the town and Andreea said the town looks even more beautiful as seen through my pics!LOL Will post more for you too.

Here's Nicholas when his mom was washing him...he is so funny how he stands still and lifts up one foot or the other so she can wash him better!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This is how he is sleeping after eating, while his mom keeps him up to regurgitate.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Me bathing the baby!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Eyes wide opened!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

If you know what you are doing you don't need a "special mix;" just choose the right ingredients and the right proportions for the task. Even having a special mix is no guarantee if you don't have the ability to consolidate the mix without overvibrating it and causing segregation of the mortar and stone.
The countertop you saw sounds like a combination of problems, Bernie.

BTW, a popular idea for "going green" with concrete is adding recycled glass to the mix instead of stone. What people doing that don't realize is that the glass will react chemically with the alkalis in the cement and it may break down from that reaction.

My countertops were cast upside down against a melamine-lined form then wet polished with finer and finer grits until the desired effect was achieved. I use beeswax (food grade) to polish and seal about once a year. Acids can be things you don't think about like salad dressings and juice that could be a problem if spills are not wiped up promptly.

Fantastic day today--low humidity and mild temperatures. Didn't even make it to 80° and dewpoints were in the 50s.

Sleeping on mom's feet...notice the round cheeks!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Sally, hi! I love your countertop! My DD has a similar one in her kitchen.
Final picture : a smile for all the aunties and uncles here!

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Hello from Utah, Nicky! LOL

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

How cute! He makes me smile. :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Wonderful Pictures Adina!
Looks like what we would call here 'A Happy Camper'!

The tornado shots brought back too many memories.
Here's a great 5 minute after clip.
http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/07/streator-tornado-damage/

I realized many people don't know the meaning of the spray paint you see after a disaster.
The orange spray paint you see are search marks.
When you enter or check a structure you make a slash.
When you leave another slash making an X.
A zero under the X no casulties.
You turn the slash into a V if there are victims.

The orange squares are 'safe to enter' little danger of collapse.
Square w/ slash enter w/ caution, needs bracing could collapse.
Square w/ X SIGNIFICANT RISK... Danger of collapse.

There are other ones denoting Natural Gas leak, time in/out, etc.
V dead and alive still in the structure, etc.

The one we always hated doing/seeing was the Flat V, we called it.
A V w/ a horizontal line beneath. That's a fatality.

We had to learn these, though they were slightly different then, when I worked the Xenia and Kettering tornadoes.

The good news is the dead toll has been lowered to 5.

Ric

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Adina, He is so precious! When he is a teenager he may be embarrassed by the pictures on the Internet. You can tease him then.
Ric, thanks for all the symbol explanations. It is amazing how few people are killed or severely injured considering the power of the storms.
We are expecting another glorious day today but the rain will move in tonight and the hot temperatures will return for the rest of the week. I would go on another walk today, but got a blister on my heel from yesterday's excursion. I should have been smart enough to wear socks, but hadn't intended to go that far. Clouds are interesting this morning. I may save a picture for a screensaver.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Evelyn, you must be up in the mountains of CA. I need to look up your town on the map.
Adina: Nicholas is absolutely adorable--what fat little cheeks--and look at all that hair. He is a true Romanian with that beautiful dark hair! I still maintain that Romanians are a handsome people!
Ric: thanks for the explanation of the spray-painted marks on the different buildings. Of course if everything is flattened, like downtown Cabot was in 1976, there is no need for those marks! :o((
KY Sally: wish I had some of your cooler weather! Nice shot of the clouds.

Hot again today but overcast; not much chance of rain though. Guess I will have to run the sprinkler today--it is dry here.

Caladiums--there are a couple of coleus in there--you just can't see them.

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

67° and it's going to RAIN for a while. We are on the edge. I ran out and did a few outdoor chores since I just got up at 6:45 am, and it was softly raining. No mosquito found me. Amazing, because we had them yesterday afternoon. I did get the yard mowed and it looks nice. Not so many flowers blooming at the moment. Mostly yellow and bright pink blooms. There's some deep rumbly thunder. It sounds like a heavy rain is coming.

Evelyn, your peas and carrots should be fine. I think my beets are about ready to pull since I planted them fairly early. You are having the same spring we all had. I think once you have all the things you need, the seed and soil are the major cost. Give it a few years. It's wonderful to have things grow for pennies. Hope your deer don't come back for a garden meal.

Celia, that sign is so funny! Don't say they didn't warn you!

Adina, he is so sweet! I'll bet you didn't mind cuddling him and whispering Mamaie? (spelling) is here. Your hen soup sounds wonderful! I never thought of making myself some while I was sick. You are going to find it so hard to go home and they will find it hard to let you go. I'm glad you have plenty of time with them. I love the pictures! He is just adorable and cuddly. Give him a gentle hug for me and a kiss on the forehead!

Sunfarm, interesting about over vibrating the counter.

Ric, that is a lot to remember, but necessary.

Adina, the clouds would make a nice screensaver!

Marsue, beautiful colors on your Caladiums!

Dad just left and I need to figure out what we're having for dinner. It hasn;t rained hard, just steady with occasional rumbles of theunder. It's dim out :o)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I apologize for my next statement if anyone here has lost Loved Ones to tornadoes.
But it's amazing how many people are killed or severely injured due to stupidity or panic.
Panic I can see..... it happens, it's scary and the Flee Instinct takes over.
One women in Xenia ran upstairs and had her baby sucked out of her arms.
But one of the people killed last weekend, Father of the Valedictorian no less, left the safety of his basement to go start his diesel generator.

Mau it sounds odd but actually the flattened cities like Cabot or Xenia are where the symbols are most needed.
http://165.29.91.7/armem/henrichs/index.htm
In Xenia they started w/ the easy to search stuff.
Obvious victims, walking wounded, etc, then the hard part.
Every possible place a victim could be hidden.
As you walked up to a structure, if you could find it, you looked into the cars.
X 0 and off you went. This saved anyone else needing too.
Each piece of debris had to be lifted, checked, X'd...
One team did the charting of structures.

http://www.xeniatornado.com/xen12.jpg
http://www.xeniatornado.com/xen9.jpg
http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=1615

We were there for 48 straight hours then the National Guard took over.
I just happened to be taking some Nurses who were in my night class up.
As I was driving my work truck w/ construction equipment I got volunteered.
Learned on the fly.

Cool and clear here today!
No storms fora few days.

Ric

(Zone 7a)

From one having been in a tornado, I can say that it's the scariest thing after raising kids. I think what people do is go where they think their "safe zone" is. I had people around me try to run for their cars. Others had to pull them back.

Thanks for the explanation, Ric, on the symbols. I never knew.

I want hen soup, now! It's past time for breakfast. Can I have some of those yummy pancakes, too?

64.2 °F with 76º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 46 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 9000 ft
Scattered Clouds 17000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Darrell and I got new t-shirts while in Vernal this weekend.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Adina what a cutie!
Ric that's interesting information, think I might copy that down.
Celia that shirt is awesome!!! ROFLOL!!!!

Right now it's 85* with a real feel of 93*, the high is supposed to be 93* with a real feel of 105*. It hasn't rained at my house in about a week and probably won't for awhile.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Chrissy there's a web site somewhere w/ a chart.
I'll see if I can track it down.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric, sometimes you have to be harsh to get people to listen. I don't mind learning a thing or two since we have no basement. I salute you!

Celia, most people wait till the last minute to find a friend with a basement. If they left a half hour earlier they would be safe. Those are the best shirts!

62° and nomore rain on the radar. I haven't been out any farther than the screened in porch. It's cool, breezy and damp. It's lightened up a lot. the storm is still moving east.

(Zone 7a)

You haven't seen the t-shirt I got yet. D-mail me or send me a regular e-mail and I 'll send the pic as I don't know who might be offended. I know no one on this thread will but someone lurking whom we don't know, might.

Male House Sparrow posturing. He was all on about something.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Celia, that picture is perfect! I got the biggest smile!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: LOVE the t-shirt! LOL I can hardly wait to see yours--email it to me, please. Sparrows are cute little birds, even if they can be a nuisance sometimes.

I went outside about 8:45 a.m. to take Friday out and before I knew it, I was pulling weeds and then hooked up the sprinkler and decided I might as well get some more RU plants in the grounds and. . .well, you get the idea. By about 11 a.m. I had purified my body considerably (translate that to SWEAT) LOL, so I came inside and got cleaned up. I really need to mow with the riding mower later this afternoon but since I am all scrubbed up now, I will most likely wait until tomorrow. The grass isn't going anywhere LOL!

Does anybody know what this is--I found this while I was pulling weeds. I don't know if it is a weed or actually something I planted and forgot about. It has a very tiny pinkish bloom on it--kinda cute, actually. I put my finger beside the little bloom so you can get an idea of the size of the bloom.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is a view of the two plants from further away.

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like one of the Knot or Smart weeds to me.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2010 1:13 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, good for you, sweating out the bad and planting the good! I love it that your grass isn't going anywhere! Smartweed is my guess too. Pretty, but I'd pull it.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yep, that's what it is, all right! Kathy Ann ID'd it for me on the Mid-South forum, too. It's going to 'weed heaven' the next time I get out in the flower bed! Too bad because it does have a pretty bloom on it but I don't need it taking over my flower bed.

This is a Bombast poppy, which Kathy Ann gave me. I took this after I ran the sprinkler.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Y'all check out this website--pretty neat! My DD knows these folk.

http://www.mountainviewnature.com/index.html

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and humid today with temps in the 90s and humidity close to 100% all day. Rain this morning and now its storming again. Tornadoes or at least funnel clouds have formed a few times south of here about an hour but so far we just have a normal storm here with flash floods going on.

Last night there was a 3 semi truck pile-up north of my job by a few minutes on I-70. A semi crossed the median, hit another semi, then another semi was coming and couldn't stop and pretty much landed on top of the other two. It happened around 5pm and didn't get fully cleaned up and reopened until after midnight. I'm trying to find the story on local news sites but so far coming up blank for some reason.

BP, I ordered my lilies from Faraway Flowers for that bed. Statement, Mambo and Demention. Demention is the darkest. I had also ordered Ebony but she didn't get them in so I lost out on that one. www.farawayflowers.com

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, I seem to remember that name from another forum. I'm going to bookmark it. I'm tired of getting the same old catalogs with nothing new. That's half the reason I haven't ordered much the last couple of years.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

She's sold out right now but will have new stock in by mid summer. Just keep an eye on her site and see what she gets. It changes all the time.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I did have it bookmarked already. I sure have my rainy day reading to catch up on!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pepper here you go.
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/07/2000141/three-truck-crash-injures-two.html

Just starting to spit rain here after a nice cool and mostly sunny day.

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Good Mornin All! It's a cool 64° with a bruised sky, but it's lightening up as the sun rises. We will be warmer with a high of 83° and light west winds with higher gusts.

I walked my flower beds yesterday and the skeeters found me. I stayed in after that. Just didn't want to put on mosquito spray. I'll have to do it today tho, if I want to go out.

Ric/Pepper, terrible terrible wreck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.