Tropical Garden #73

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

And why this tropical erythrinia survived and the fireman's cap did not, I'll never know, they were right next to each other, yet one in the front garden (fireman's) lived.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Vitex or Southern Lilac with out the scent

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Clematis seed pods.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

nice pics, beautiful plants. No I wasn't talking about the tall grassy thing, but thats okay ...
It is great when someone shares..You have a nice garden. I am glad things came back for ya all.
Have a great day.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Red Oak, TX

Rj, there is always something interesting in the background of your pictures, for instance the variegated vine in your Croton picture, and the big Fern in the last one. It is always a pleasure viewing them.

White shrimp plant.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Joeswife, I am stumped, what is that plant in your last picture?
This is what your Costus will look like in a few years, just a warning in case you do not like it. lol

Thumbnail by prita
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's actually that snow bank shrub, stringy from recovery and being in a pot.

awww, I like the plant in your last picture, RJ with the big five fingers. Is that a fern?
Rita, that is the flower head of a YUKON GOLD potatoe plant.. isn't it cool looking?
The other plant You had RJ, was a fat leafed plant looked like a castor bean kinda.
Love that Costa, hope it gets that big for me here..
This is Golden Eagle. I thought I had lost him. He came back.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah..it probably is a Castor Bean
and the other one is a fern, not sure what it is..it was a get rid of from Zone9. He said here, take this

This message was edited May 21, 2010 6:11 PM

American Beauty has given me a long stem..

Thumbnail by joeswife

RJ,I love that fern in your last picture.. do you know its name and zone likings?
Old bathtub planter..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry I don't. It sort of has a rhizome like elk horn ferns. Wayne from Zone9 gave it to me. Guess where is overflow goes when he needs to make room. It likes high humidity, and seems to tolerate sun more than the average fern.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My faithful gardening partner hard at work

Keaau, HI

Great photos everybody!

Those Anthurium are impressive Rachel!

Here is Hawaiian 'Akia, Wikstroemia phillyreifolia. The flowers are small but highly fragrant.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

Variegated Shell Ginger.

Keaau, HI

Heliconia bihai 'Jacquinii'.

Keaau, HI

Goethea strictiflora.

Keaau, HI

Aphelandra sinclairiana, Coral Shrimp Tree.

noonamah, Australia

Rj, that fern looks like a Drynaria sps. Does it have any "nest leaves" or smaller different shaped leaves along the rhyzome?

What an interesting plant that Goethea strictiflora is! I have never heard of it. Will go google next... ^_^

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice gardening partner. I have one of those four legged "partners" too and he looks about as handy in the garden as yours.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL,
I took a photo of the rhizome, what do you think?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7815000

Nice photos everyone. I enjoyed them all.

Dave, I had to look up the Goethea strictiflora as well. Very nice plant!

Red Oak, TX

Hello Everyone

It is so funny, whenever someone would mention a plant that I have, I would run out to check. And, yes my Fireman's cap is still alive.

Joeswife, I like the baththub planter. I have a old iron kettle from my MIL that I have planted with Colocasias. I sure would like to find a few more of those. Love your roses!

Variegated bleedng heart vine

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Metrosideros, Great Pictures!!

I will definately have to find room for a Coral Shrimp tree this year. I have a Markhamia zanzibarica (Bell Bean Tree) that I am nurturing.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Purple Porterweed

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

This is a white Petrea vine, that has been flowering for a while but never wants to put out more than three flower clusters at a time.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

I spent most of my day in the perennial garden admiring my roses, lillies and squashing leaf rollers on my cannas.

This is a Scarlet Wisteria.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Maya

This message was edited May 23, 2010 5:12 PM

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

First zinnia to flower from Debra

Thumbnail by prita
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Rita

Is that skullcap in the back behind the zinna?

Red Oak, TX

phughes, Yes, that is skullcap.
Is your Red Bleeding Heart vine blooming yet? I remember how big and beautiful it was last spring.
Mine is alive, but still very small and starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by prita
Keaau, HI

Tropical fern. Microsorium scolopendrium.

Laua'e in Hawai'i.

Keaau, HI

Ptychosperma, flowers.

Keaau, HI

Yucca!

Keaau, HI

Bromeliad!

Keaau, HI

Xanthorrhoea!

Gosh what awsome plants. I have to look up that Porter Weed. I love the scarlet wisteria, i think I had some seeds for it somewhere.. I put in three flower beds for other people this past four days. I am beat. Thanks for posting your lovely tropicals, I am so excited that I got my two plants from Brians, a Big Dipper, and a Royal Hilo. Went to a local Landscaper and nursery this weekend, they have the native white bleeding heart ( dutchmans breeches) but wanted an arm and a leg for them. I think I can find some in the country. I did however get a steal on a huge mandevilla plant, it was a 35 dollar pot, but had been windblown and one limb was broke, I got it down to 11.00. I am happy, stuck the broke piece in a another pot. My hubby wanted me to post the OPEN blooms on his tater plants..
Metro, I love the Xanthorrhoea.. is it a frond like plant?

Thumbnail by joeswife
noonamah, Australia

Debra, Xanthorrhoea is an Australian genus of plants commonly called Grass Trees. They have a trunk sort of resembling Cycads but crowned by grass-like leaves. Some have subterranean trunks, others are quite tall and even branching.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

Oh - very cool!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.