Tropical Garden #73

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah..that's right...well thanks again, I love them...so I have two things ready to bloom from you! Yes, the c. pitcherii does pout, in fact it pouted for a year, and then just went beserk this spring. posting bud pictures, and can't wait till they open!

Yes, those kangaroo paws do hate wet. I planted them in a pot, and put them on the top rack of a plant shelf, where they crisp daily and love it.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
noonamah, Australia

Dutchlady, I checked them out now that I know their name, thanks. I've seen some of the others before but not this one.

Thanks Flabotany, now I remember it. And to make sure I don't forget again I've put it in my database.

Good luck with your Cyrtosperma Johnstonii, they're a very nice plant with a spectacular flower.

Kangaroo Paws come from the south west of Western Australia. Very sandy soil with a hot dry summer and cool wet winter.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well then the Paws should love it here in my front garden bed. It's been hot and dry until this weekend when we finally had a nice days rain. Looks like T-storms tonight!

Blurry clerodendrum, was focusing on the top two leaves that have red in them

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

RJ I sent you some dahlias also, but they were smaller dwarf type, are they up yet? Mine are..
The clematis pitcherii is a Kansas Native Plant otherwise known as leather flower here.. I have tons of seeds started.
Love those mg blooms, they look like i. nils from emma. Beautiful!
Also loved the pictures from Austrailia.. I wish I could grow things like that. My varigated philo is back at the base of the shrub this year, should i move it to the base of the tree instead?
MyPolly is very happy inside, I am afraid to move it out. The King anthurium and the little shiny one are waking up outside.
Can't remember their names.
Patty, I am glad to see your pink things.
Salvia Snow Nymph has taken over , I have been cutting away at it, but it comes back stronger. Now I have plants and rooted cuttings if anyone wants a nice prenniel.

Thumbnail by joeswife

This is the salvia Rose Queen, first year. It will look like the white one if I don't watch it.

Thumbnail by joeswife

My first Bell flowers from seed.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Pink thumbs, a Kansas Native plant, I have hundreds of them now, I do have some in pots if anyone wants any. They get real tall and like wet soil.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Indigo australias, been waiting for three years for it to bloom. Finally! I planted some of the wild white this spring, we will see it next year.

Thumbnail by joeswife

We are waking up, it has been cool here, so things like this are slowwwwww

Thumbnail by joeswife

Beautiful pictures everyone and tremendous growing.

Rita, that Anthurium upalaense already looks ten times better since you have got a hold of it and thank you so much for my A. faustomirandae. It's established and is already sending out a new leaf. I love it!

Thumbnail by

aww thats cute!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, they are about 1.5 feet tall right now!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Joeswife, I would love some of your salvia Snow Nymph. let's dmail.

Curcuma Emperor which I got in March from Brian's Botanicals. His plants always do well for me

Thumbnail by vossner

a. Portodora which I got last yr from Caladiums4Less. They didn't do much last year, but here it is may, and they are 1 ft tall already. I'm hoping they'll be monsters by Aug.

Thumbnail by vossner

This is my oxalis from last year, I saved the corms over winter and it woke up..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Here is my yellow roses They are supposed to be minis, but somehow they grew big..

Thumbnail by joeswife

white honeysuckle.. I don't understand how there is a pair of white and a pair of gold blooms on the same vine..

Thumbnail by joeswife

close up of gold flame lonicera semperins.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Carribia opened, her colour is not as deep as it will get later this year..

Thumbnail by joeswife

double delight also opened, it is also not the deep colour it will be later this year.. too much rain and two days coming of downpours for long periods of time. That is what killed my audrey hepburn, john kennedy and candy land..too much rain.

Thumbnail by joeswife

baby snapdragon toad flax from Buffalo NY seeds I collected last fall.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Penstamon Husker Red..

Thumbnail by joeswife

This bloom comes from the red oxalis and says Hi MOM! ( rita)

Thumbnail by joeswife

It looks good with the salvias.. and yes vossner I have some to send you, dmail me your addy.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

woo hoo, prettiness in Derby!

Red Oak, TX

Rj, Jungle Heights is back in business, plants blooming everywhere!! Lucky you, on getting the Dahlias to grow, that is one plant that I have no luck growing. You made me run outside to check on my Clerodendrum. (nothing yet)

vossner, those are two very good reliable plants. I would love to see how much your Portodora has grown by August, my Curcuma is not as pretty as yours.

Colocasia Elepaio

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

RachelLF,that Anthurium upalaense is my new love, I find myself constantly smiling at it. lol
I am glad that you are enjoying your new Anthurium. I find that the leaves are very fragile, even though they look tough and stiff.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Joeswife, I have been in bed with a box of kleenex for the last couple of days, I just want you to know how much I have enjoyed your pictures!! There were a few plants that I have never seen before, and had to research.
Were you referring to your Philo. Pink Princess? I have all of my Philos. growing on the East side of my house, morning sun only. Yours will probably do well if it is getting dappled or partial shade.

This is Costus Lateriflorus, it blooms sporadically through the summer

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Red Hot Poker 'Peachy Cheeks'

Thumbnail by prita

Vossner, your Portodora looks very nice and it appears that it will be quite monsterous for you by August. Please post pictures.

Debra, beautiful growing but that Carribia rose is stunning. Is it a climbing type rose?

Anthurium Obake finally gave me a new bloom.

Thumbnail by

Rita, I like that Colocasia Elepaio and that whole picture was filled with alot of "eye" candy as well. Beautiful as usual.

Philodendron melanochrysum known as the Black Gold philodendron and I can understand why!

Thumbnail by

RJ, that red cleo is pretty, and I notice you have a Fatsia? in the right background there? is that what that is?
Rained so hard to day it made everything fall over.
I am pretty excited tho, cuz my voodoo lily thing has a point about two iches high now. The pretty pink philo is next to the Polly Mask thing in the pink bedroom, it is not going outside. They are VERY happy in their spot in that room. College girl has all her stuff in there now so I hardly get to see them, I don't understand why she needs two rooms now, but I am glad she is home for the summer. The large varigated philo that was just two leaves last spring and almost dead from neglect in our bedroom went out to the tree last year in a basket and got really big. Anyway, I am scared to death we will get the large Hail that has been missing us, Queen emma and the other crinums ( spell?) are putting out new leaves, and the split philo from rachel and the dark red Philos are putting out new leaves, and well I had two more hibs bloom and * sigh* I love spring and summer!

Can't wait to get my new things from brians bots. Black ees are up, thanks for those ...the daturas stramoniums and inoxias all have buds. ( I grew them from seeds like just yesterday it seems.}
Somewhere in here is a spiral ginger from a nice person in texas.. ( I know the tag is still on it, but gee, too much salad to sort thru here..)

Thumbnail by joeswife
Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

Fiddle leaf comming back, thought this one was done for!!

Thumbnail by merlee
Red Oak, TX

Rachel LF, thanks, your new Anthurium bloom brightens up the page. I have been nursing a Philo. Black Gold for a while now. I checked today and it is still alive, Yea! Hopefully, it will look as pretty as yours in a few months.

New leaves are fun!!

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Joeswife, I couldn't see the tag, but I did see how green and healthy everything looks. I envy you, having your daughter home for the summer, lots of quality girl time.
We had another tornado scare again today, but fortunately the worst was pea size hail. I am very happy for the rain though, almost 1inch.

Alpina zerumbet variegated Chinese Beauty 'Yu Hwa'

This message was edited May 20, 2010 6:54 PM

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

merlee, Good luck with your fiddle leaf, I bet it made your day finding it putting out new leaves. I am finding that most of my older perennials like the yellow buttefly vine and the Mexican bird of paradise are goners. All the bulbs that I had growing in pots, like my crinum and pineapple lilys are mush.
At least I have a good excuse to go plant shopping for more. lol

I did find new shoots on my Sago Palm today.

Alpinia Formosana 'Pinstripe'

Thumbnail by prita
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Vosnner helped me out in selecting Dahlias that would grow here.

I'm not sure what that is in the back ground, the variegated green and white?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Were you talking about this?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Another Vossner gift, variegated green and white crotin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.