2010 Iris Season Begins ....Part Two

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Penny Lane

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Village Gossip

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Is VG a small flower?? My neighbor has this one. Is it the same?

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

av_ocd_girl
Where can I get Bewilderbeast?

Bakersfield, CA

av_ocd_girl, I quickly checked my catalogs and found several sources for Merchant Marine.

Mid-America $12
Keith Keppel (hybridizer) $15
Napa Country $12
Aitken's $15
Rockytop $15
Joe Ghio $7.75
Schreiner's $30 ($15 if you purchase a total of $80, I believe)

Also, the one that was supposed to be Edith Wolford looks quite a bit like Gracious Curves.
This is a picture from my garden, and the color of my picture is pretty correct, so if yours is that pink it's probably not Gracious Curves.

Thumbnail by Betja
South Hamilton, MA

For Bewildebeast try the hybridizer Brad Kasperek www.zebrairis.com

This message was edited May 11, 2010 9:49 PM

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Closed for 2010

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

http://www.schreinersgardens.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SIGO&Product_Code=BEWI&Category_Code=AC

Schreiner's has Bewilderbeast for $15. If you order a certain amount they are half off.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I bought my MERCHANT MARINE from Schreiners last year as I only ordered from Schreiners and Zebra Garden last year. This year I hit two other iris vendors.

I also bought other blue iris but this is the only one that opened so far. One blue iris I bought from Schreiners is FIRST WAVE but when mine bloomed it was a mislabeled iris as its cream and tan. Not that I mixed up labels either, I still have the schreiners picture label on it that shows the blue iris.

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

newyorkrita, they messed up my order last year too! I was sent a mystery too. Not something I ordered or a bonus.

Bakersfield, CA

I was surprised to see the "Zebra Gardens Closed For 2010" post on their website tonight. Maybe shocked is a better word. I was looking forward to seeing their new striped confections!

South Hamilton, MA

I hope that you let Shreiners know about the mixup. They will correct it. Obviously a mistake by the workers in the packing barn. They have a huge order base & it can be difficult to correct what those working do. When ordering for our club, I have never had a mistake occur.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Last year I bought several iris varieties to send to my daughter, including one that had 'red' in its name. At the last minute I decided to keep the 'red' one for myself, but didn't write down the name. Here it is - I think it's gorgeous, I just wish I knew the name.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

maybe Red at Night?

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

irisluvr, I got a picture of that pink iris I'm going to rescue. The iris is a little lighter in the picture than in person, but it's the best I could do with a camera phone.

Thumbnail by marti001
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

pretty!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I have you on the list to receive 2 of them. I will start shipping next week. I plan to ship 2 rhizomes of each of the three iris I have rescued.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Gardener, that sure looks like Red At Night. Red At Night is one of our most prolific irises! It has survived 70mph winds and a -17° winter, so it will do well for you. I'm just not sure if our irises will survive the high winds we are having right now when they start putting out stalks! We have way too many to stake, so may have to cut and bring into the house to enjoy them this year when they come into bud.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

"Red at Night" doesn't sound familiar, but this does look like it will be prolific.

Kansas City, MO

May have red in its name but it looks exactly like Dynamite in that photo.

K

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Now I am really glad I found Zebra Gardens and ordered last year since they are not shipping in 2010. Not not I knew that until now just reading it here.

As far as the mislabeled iris from Schreiners, I only just figgured out it wasn't right afew days ago. I deffinately intend to let them know and send them the picture. It's funny but when it bloomed I looked at the flower and thought that it did not look like anything I would order. So I figgured it must be a bonus. Not that it seemed familiar as one of their bonus items either. So when I checked further I saw that it was supposed to be a blue iris.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I have a question about shipping iris. After I dig them up how should I prepare them for shipping and how long can the stay out of the ground?

Marti

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't know the name but I think mine is the same red one. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

A few more of ours have bloomed...Yay!
Here's 'Hi There Gorgeous'...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have shipped Iris. I dig them and soak them in a little tiny bit of bleach in the bucket of water for maybe three hours then rinse and lay them to dry. Some have lain like that for 3 or 4 days till I sent them. They are very forgiving. BEV

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

'Trillion'...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

That one is different. Very nice. BEV

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

'In Reverse'...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Cross posted. I like them both. Any idea on this one??

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

More to add to my iris need list!!!

More! More!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Dragonfly,
Yep...LOL I'm clueless on yours, but it's lovely! :)

Marti,
Which ones did you add? :)

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

This is my favorite. Crinkled Joy. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

dragonfly62 this might help you to identify your iris.
Go to Plant Files
Type in Iris
under Cultivar type in Champagne
It will bring up every iris with Champagne in the name.

Just love your Crinkled Joy

Mittsy

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Toasted Watermelon bloomed this year!! Yay...

Thumbnail by Maxsmomma
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Maxs,
Lovely! :)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

You post the pictures!! I add to my iris need list!!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you Mittsy!!

South Hamilton, MA

Bearded iris should be completely dry when they are shipped. Cut the leaves back about half-way. You may slightly trim the roots, but NOT much. While I write the name on the foliage with a sharpie pen I also add a string tag with the name (and hybridizer).

This message was edited May 12, 2010 5:48 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

"You post the pictures!! I add to my iris need list!!"

ROFL...Ah ha! :D

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Should I wash the roots off or soak them in bleach water?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.