2010 Iris Season Begins ....Part Two

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1081840/

We came from the above link. I went to post, and saw that someone was having touble loading it due to the size. So I thought I would start a new thread :)

Tumalo Sunset
Schreiner 2009

Beautiful flowers! Love the color, flower size, and amount of buds! Great overall!

Thumbnail by Flower_addictnc
Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Tumalo Sunset

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Megabucks

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Winter Waltz
Schreiner 2009

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Awesome Blossom
Black 2000

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Awesome Blossom

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Afternoon Delight
Ernst 1983

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

China Dragon
Shoop 1979

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

I have 43 TB iris. Most of which I ordered from Schreiners except maybe 8. They were all planted last Oct. All grew well except for one, Midnight Oil. It put up very few leaves that were small in size. I was kind of disappointed about that. Maybe next year it will take off. I have 9 total that will not be blooming this year. They grew well, but just didn't send up any stalks. Overall, I am very happy with the amount that bloomed! Next year, I will not be planting my groups of 3 so close together! It is extremely hard to weed, and take pictures of.

However, from Schreiners I was sent in my bonuses Winter Waltz and Laced Cotton (supposedly) among others. The only other light, almost white iris I have is Immortality. All others are no where near a solid white color.

So I had this one bloom, definetly not Laced Cotton. I though maybe it was Winter Waltz. However, the next day a different TB bloomed in the almost exact color. It was more ruffled, and matched the Winter Waltz picture exactly. So it looks like I am stuck with a NOID. You can see above my picture of Winter Waltz. This is the NOID. It has a similar color, but you can see the form is different.

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Side shot of NOID

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Side shot of Winter Waltz

South Hamilton, MA

Tell Schreiners even thaough it was a bonus. Midnight Oil can be a difficult plant. Not happy in our area either.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Flower, Those are beautiful. I am so excited about getting iris for my garden. With the iris and daylilies I'll have good color. And than I'll plant perenials and annuals in among them.

Bakersfield, CA

I would like to call people's attention to the iris my sister and I "discovered" last May when we were in Salem, Oregon on garden tours. It is 'Ink Patterns' by Thomas Johnson of Mid-America Garden. This is an unbelievably prolific iris, and very pretty to boot! I have put pictures of 'Ink Patterns' from that trip in DG PlantFiles, and now I have a picture of my very own plant in bloom. Keep in mind this is a first-year plant, just put in the ground in October (I had it in a pot from mid-July until October), and there are four stalks blooming! In my opinion this iris blooms like no other iris I have ever seen. And apparently the AIS judges agree, as I believe it was at the top of the Honorable Mention awards for 2009.

INK PATTERNS

Thumbnail by Betja
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

and another one goes on the list!

Bakersfield, CA

Close-up of INK PATTERNS in my garden.

Thumbnail by Betja
Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Marti!!! You will love your iris!

I have glads behind my TBs, a few lillies are behind, but mostly to one side. Plus, I planted scabiosa and daylilys in front. I have a large portion of empty bed waiting to be filled with TBs. However, I already put my companion plantings in for that section. I have Oriental lilies in front with carnations. I fill in where needed with annual color too!

It may not have been so smart of me to stick those oriental lillies in front though. A few of my lily bulbs grew into what looks like trees this year lol I never realized they got so big!!!! I think it was the Asiatic lillies that grew so large though.

I think that Scabiosa (the blue butterfly variety) is one of the best plants! It has pretty periwinkle/lavendar flowers that bloom from spring to fall in abundance! Love it!

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Oh Betja. You have to keep reminding me of Ink Patterns with those gorgeous pictures. I will have to add it to my Mid America order. It is stunning.

I have one!!!! I have one. My first tall bearded iris bloom. Can you tell I am excited? I have been watching this one for afew days as I knew it was close to bloom and going to be my first.

It is SPOT STARTER a bonus iris from Schreiners. LOoks exactly like its picture on the website too. Its listed as extra early.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Further picture showing more of the plant. I have never ever had TB iris before and I couldn't believe how tall the stalk is.

I wouldn't have picked this one if they hadn't given it to me as a bonus. IT is pretty but I have seen so many others I think are better looking.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

You are just gonna have to look at all my pictures as I am still excited to have my first TB bloom LOL!

Here is a far shot showing the front yard and how I have some iris there in a terraced garden setting. One of my rose beds is in the backround.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Tomah, WI

Congratulations Rita! You have a beauty there!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

You are all not fair!!! You post such beautiful pictures and I have to keep adding to my want list. But darn I have to wait until July to get any. As funds become available.
You all just wait til next year and I will be posting pictures! A LOT OF PICTURES!!!!

Marti- I only started last year. So last year I had to look at everyones glorious pictures while I had none. So this year I have over 50 and will be able to join in the picture posting fun.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, just keep posting those pictures and names if possible. I have a note book just for iris listing. My son is sending me some from Calif so that I have a start and can join the iris swap for more.

Bakersfield, CA

Rita, I think that's a beautiful iris. And you can always give it away later if you need the slot for something else you must have. I think it's great that it's got height, too. So many of my newbies have short stalks the first year, until they really grab hold the second year. You're probably like me and you want those wide, ruffled falls and perfectly ruffled standards that hold their shape through the life of the flower; but there are always spots for the "fillers," especially if they have lots of flowers... So keep those pictures coming!

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Rita! I understand your excitement! This was my first year for TB too. I looovve the blooms. Sadly, my show is almost over. Just the very late ones left to open. However, a lot of the mid/late TBs are still going strong. I love the tall ones! I need to add more blues and pinks this year. I was extremely lucky to have most of my TBs sending up multiple stalks for a first year plant. I had a few send up FOUR stalks!!!!!!

I like big ruffled flowers. I was just surprised at the actual height of the stalk. I know they call them TB but the impact of one actually here in front of me, well I find all this very new.

Ok, silly question. Each fan can only send up one stalk correct? How do you get multiple stalks?

Bakersfield, CA

Some fans come with new increases already there, and if you're lucky they will send up stalks in addition to the main rhizome that first year. And sometimes (certainly not very often for me!) you can get more than one stalk from the center of a single rhizome. At least that's my understanding. On my INK PATTERNS it looks like there are stalks on the original rhizome plus three of the four increases. So it seems very vigorous, and hopefully next year it'll send up lots more...

South Hamilton, MA

TBs are any height from 28" & up. So some are quite tall. My personal preference is from 36" & under. Keith Keppel & a few others have the height on all their plants, not just new introductions.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I have several NOIDs blooming, but here is a Batik that opened yesterday.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

One of the many NOIDs in my garden - I like them for the color.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I used to know the name of this beauty, but I've lost it. I love the color with the Japanese maple.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I wouldn't care want the name was that is a very beautiful iris and you are right it is great against the backdrop of the Japanese Maple

All of my iris came last year as single fans. But they put out new increases quickly as soon as they were settled here in the garden. In fact everything I planted last year are clumpets this year. I was really very surprised at how quickly the modern iris multiply. As I understood it this original mother iris would bloom this year and then die off. All the babies would bloom next year.

SPOT STARTER has a third bloom open today and all look good. Meanwhile two other iris have opened blooms so I took pictures. And it looks like more should open tomorrow. So its deffinately exciting around here. Will wait till I have more pictures taken until I download and post. The first one yesterday got the most attention as its first.

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Two more bloomed today, Halloween Halo, and Ransom Note.

Halloween Halo

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Ransom Note....I am hoping the standards open a bit more. Love the purple splash on the red falls though!

Merchant Marine. Love the blue color.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.