April Showers 2010...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome to the Weather forum! Come on in, and tell us about the weather where you are. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084234/

Happy Easter, everyone! I feel like I've been gone for months!! I've missed you all, and I'm looking forward to catching up.

The bunnies' room is done (mostly). I took some photos, but the camera is acting funny and won't upload the pictures to the computer. grrr... I need to get dh to look at it. We still need to do some decorating in there, but at least the main stuff is done, so we can move all of their toys and books back in there and I can have the living room back! Yayy! LOL

It's been really warm here - but not overbearingly so. It's nice to have a "spring!" Some years it goes directly from winter to our highs-in-the-90s-with-98%+-humidity summer pattern. Ugh. It's nice to have something in the middle for a while! :-)

The Texas Mountain Laurel is almost done blooming now. I didn't take any photos, since the camera is acting up. Here is a photo of the blooms from last year, though.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:01pm CDT (67 min ago)
Temperature 70 °F 21 °C (our outdoor thermometer says it's 75°)
Dew Point 64 °F 18 °C
Humidity 83%
Pressure 29.97 in 1015 mb
Wind Speed 15 MPH
G 22 13 kts
G 19
Wind Dir SSE 150°
Ceiling 2300 ft 701 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 73.9°F / 23.3°C

Tonight Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2010 9:19 PM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

40° but I haven't stuck my head out yet. Yesterday afternoon we had tiny hail and a lot of thunder. Just when the radar showed clear, a half hour later it was thundering again. I think the ground is getting pretty wet now, so I don't think I'll be working the garden. We have another chance of rain this afternoon and it winds up tomorrow.

Chrissy, glad your storm wasn't bad. He's a nice old mule :o)

Bernie, that is an amazing age!

Adina, I can taste the apricots! Yum! The blooms are different than an apple. Very small and pretty!

Oh Pepper! Well it's out of your hands now. What a mess!

Marylyn, miss you too when you're not here. I'll bet the bunnies are so happy with their new room! I sure would be! The Laurel is beautiful!! Kind of like a huge lilac. Does it smell good?

It looks like we all had a nice Easter with warmer temps. I try to make every day count because it does slide into summer so fast.

We took the jeep out to see the gravel roads. This picture doesn't do them ''justice.'' DH didn't want to stop in case we got stuck. I guess the county maintainer got stuck on one of the roads.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What a mess! That's what our roads looked like 2 years ago. We were to have a birthday party for my MIL. Had to move it to DD house in town.
Our roads are really good this year. Who can figure, with all the snow we had. No frost in the ground this winter, to heavy of a blanket on the ground.
I'm playing the odds! Planted a bunch of green & yellow beans yesterday. If they don't make it, we can replant. If they do, we will have real early beans. Beans are one of our main crops at market. People love our beans!
I might work on my front flower bed today. I am going to rebuild the pond. Big job, may take a while. First thing I need to do is dig a bunch of perennials that are in the way.

We have a bush blooming in one of the erosion rows. Bright yellow. I will have to look for a tag to see what it is.

37º
Sun coming up.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, they're saying they don't have money to fix the roads. Well, they better do something. The tractors are on the move now. We have gone into winter with a high water table the last couple of years. That usually doesn't happen. I couldn't believe the mess!

I hope your beans make it! Right now our rabbits would eat them to the ground. Later, they don't bother them, but they nibble the spinach.

It's inevitable, one job becomes three :o) I can't wait to see the new pond tho!

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Pep I hope it's not too expensive. In 1997 me and my boyfriend at the time bought a 1989 Chevy Blazer S-10, was a great vehicle and we used to run with the PRCA Team Ropers and were friends with Bobby Hurley and drove him to and from airports all the time (this was in CA.) For the final rodeos in Las Vegas his partner had to fly to Las Vegas for some reason so one of us drove his truck and the other drove our Blazer all the way to Vegas (10 hour drive.) and we came back the next day. We got probably an hour away from home and every time it would go into overdrive it would jitter and shake the whole truck. We pulled over and the gasket had lost its 'gasketicity' and we had tranny fluid all over both sides of the thing and the tranny was empty. We put fluid in it and thank goodness the valley is flat, we made it back home. It wasn't too expensive to fix it, it couldn't have been because we were broke! LOL Hopefully that's all that's wrong with yours.

Hope the storms didn't get too bad for you all yesterday evening and last night, I checked once and there was a tornado warning just outside of Columbia, MO.

Marilyn!! I've miss you girl!!! Glad things are coming together, but that camera... you know we're going to want pics :)

I should have re-posted my weather yesterday, it was more humid than all get out. It's humid today too and we're supposed to get storms tomorrow.

Right now it's 65* and cloudy, real feel of 64*. Today's sunny with some clouds and the high is supposed to be 83* with a real feel of 88*, winds out of the SSW at 4mph, gusts up to 15mph. Tonight's patchy clouds with a low of 60*, real feel of 57*, winds out of the South at 10mph with gusts up to 21mph.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Crissy, I'm always amazed at the stories people have to tell. I have got to get a life!! Oohhh, that's too warm for me! It's chilly here right now.

We got a little over 6/10' rain again. It's all soaking in!

(Zone 7a)

48º, cloudy and getting darker. Eeeek! Another stomr moving in.

Bernie, good luck with that pond project.

We really need some good weather so we can build the raised beds. I want to plant things and the weather is not cooperating.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks to Suddenlink, I am waaaaay behind! Internet service has been down all week-end (since Fri. afternoon) except for a few minutes here and there. Everytime I would get online, the service would go down again! I wonder if they will pro-rate our bill for this month? Probably not! Anyway, they got it up and running again this morning and I am playing catch-up.

I can't comment on everything but I have skimmed all the posts and looked at your photos!

Sun is shining here today. We had some rain during the night so hopefully the pollen has been washed out of the air and I can get outside--so much weeding still to do. I pretty well have the flowerbeds in
the back yard all cleaned up. Now I have to start on the front flower beds!
Here's a photo of the big oak tree in the yard behind me--I took this photo 3 days ago--it has come out even more since then. This is just one of the culprits that is spreading all the pollen in our area. LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Celia, hang on!! Lovely forsythia!

Marsue, it's so easy to get so far behind. You're back and that's what matters! Yet it's a beautiful tree. I never thought about pollen. I wonder if we have any yet. Thankfully, I have no allergies. It skipped us kids, but Mom was bad.

It's just 60° but hot in the sun. I may go out and bask awhile after coffee.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sally, someone I knew at work said that his wife had allergy problems. She had two children. For one, she as pregnant during the allergy season and for the other, she wasn't. The child that developed during the allergy season turned out to not have allergies and the other child did. I don't know if it is co-incidence or not.

The Dodgers have their opening day game today in Pittsburgh. Earlier there was a lot of consternation about having to play in a cold place this early in the year, but it turns out that today, Pitts is going to have better weather than we are having here today.

I felt the earthquake yesterday. It lasted longer than what we usually have and really got the hanging things swinging. The news reports have been very sparse, but it sounds like they didn't get all that much damage in Mexico, all things considered. They must have built pretty well in Mexicali.

We got 0.5" of rain overnight. I was hoping that we would get something for the sake of the late blooming wildflowers. In other words, April showers bring June flowers.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on April 05, 2010
55 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 51 °F
Wind: 7 mph from the SSW

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sally, the Texas Mountain Laurels smell like grape kool-aid. Very yummy, and not overpowering. Not quite as nice as lilacs, but they make a nice substitute. :-) Some years they are so loaded with blooms they stop traffic. This year they mostly bloomed on the house side of the bushes. (I think the girls tried climbing in them, and broke off a bunch of the buds on the other side.) So we had a great view of them, but didn't have anyone knocking on the door asking what they were. Next year - no climbing!

Those roads are a mess!! I'm glad you didn't get stuck. I sure hope they find money to get them fixed somehow!

Bernie, I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your pond! One of these years, I want a pond, but it's not going to happen this year. Ah, well... I hope the weather behaves so your beans can make it!

Marilyn, our oak trees are spreading pollen, too. Our cars are covered in yellow dust. I am often grateful that I don't have any pollen allergies, cuz Houston is a miserable place to live for people who do. There is always something blooming/sporing/pollening (is that a word?? LOL) here.

Kelli, the Astros are playing today, too. Yayy! I love baseball season! The NCAA basketball finals are tonight, too. Unfortunately we have a class at church, so we're going to miss both games.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:39pm CDT (3 min ago)
Temperature 81 °F 27 °C
Dew Point 64 °F 18 °C
Humidity 69%
Pressure 30.09 in 1019 mb
Wind Speed 14 MPH 12 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150°
Ceiling 3500 ft 1067 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 °F 26 °C
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 68.0°F / 20.0°C

Today Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs around 80. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Marylyn, thanks for the new thread. Great to hear from you!

Warm today, 65F, but cloudy almost all day. We had a short shower earlier, at sunset.

ADINA

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Everyone. Hope you all had a good Easter. I was outside all day, and when I came in I didn't get here to DG so am too far behind to comment on all the posts.

Looks like everyone is moving into the heart of spring, although we will not be planting beans here until June!

Kelli - when I heard about the earthquake I thought about you and wondered if you felt it.

Sunfarm - the large quadrapeds look great. Loved the picture of them grazing.

It was another pleasant day here, not greening up yet, still looks barren, but the fiddleheads are just breaking though the soil, and the lillies and hosta are beginning to push up too.

Here is the current weather
52 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 36 °F
Wind: 14 mph from the SSW

Wind Gust: 20 mph
Pressure: 29.94 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Storms this morning. Not a whole lot of rain here but lots of thunder and lightning. After the storm for several hours it was really muggy out. Then the winds came back and started blowing pretty hard.

We reached a high in the low 80s with humidity hovering in the mid to high 60% range. Tomorrow we are under a slight risk of severe storms and apparently it promises to be a doozer. Hail, wind, rain, and isolated risk of tornadoes.

Crissy, the tornado was over in Moberly which is north of Colombia and lasted about 10 minutes.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well our weather went fro 10% chance when I looked this afternoon to Tornado Watch/Warning in about 30 minutes.
It rumbled through here about 7:30PM
Lots of lightning but not as much thunder as I would have expected.
Saw some serious Intracloud Lightning and a couple of ground strikes.
Maybe 1/2" of rain.
Of course we had decided not to tarp the Shed ..... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Our weather went from 20% chance of rain/snow to 100% snow. Yuck. Everything is white. AGAIN!!! Argh.

Betty Boop rose is still looking great.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

47° and a storm passed way north of us. At 4:30 am I heard the cops on the scanner say heavy rain but no wind yet, so I got up and got the coffee going in case we lost power. The north is on our power grid, so if they lose power, we could too. But, all is well and here I am. Yesterday, our big rain day, was a bust.

Kelli, you never know. I think that if your Mom smoked whem pregnant, you have a harder time quitting. She smoked with me and one brother. I did quit. He hasn't. The other brother could keep it to three a day. I asked why he bothered, so he quit. Sister died at 16, so I'll never know, but I'll bet she would have quit before me. I've always heard things skip a generation and that you are more your grandparents than you are your parents. Mom got her allergies from her grandmother.

I wondered if you would feel the earthquake.

Marylyn, I have the iris that smells like that. Yum!! I'm sure they wouldn't like zone 5 weather, but they are beautiful!! Kids love to climb! I did too.

Adina, so pretty!

Ledge, I have about the same flowers pushing thru as you do. It will be interesting to see your flower pictures.

Oh Ric, I hope the shed dries out fast!! Wow! It's looking nice!!

Celia, (((Big Hug))) That's terrible weather! Betty Boop is looking good!

It looks like we are going to warm up to close to 80° today. Suncsreen for me!

Kiska, does you like worms?

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I goofed! It was 57° and now it's 60°! I think it's going to be muggy!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Yesterday evening's severe weather seems to have passed north of us, though I heard a few rumbles of thunder. Not a drop of rain here, which we are starting to need. The radar for northern KY/Cincinnati area was impressive (sorry, Ric) and this morning's TV news has some video clips of golfball-size hail in NE Kentucky yesterday. Looks like it was all north of I-64. The most severe outbreak of widespread tornadoes was in early April 1974, so this is the time of year!
Supposed it be warm today--mid 80s, but calm.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Marylyn: sorry about the broken limbs but I imagine the girls enjoyed climbing in the mountain laurel! :o)) Looking forward to seeing photos of the completed remodeling project(s).
Sally: I am not bothered by allergies all that much, either, although I take preventive measures by using a nasal spray before I go outside this time of year. LOL at the worms! I've been turning up a lot of worms in my flowerbeds--yay, worms!
Celia: loving the photo of Betty Boop! I've long been a fan of hers. LOL
Kelli: that is interesting about the two siblings and their allergies or lack thereof. There may be something to that.
Ric: the shed is looking good! What is that vine looking thing in front of the shed that appears to be tied up?
Sunfarm: glad the severe weather missed you but I do hope you get some rain soon.

going to be windy today--doesn't "it" know it is April--stop that blowing!!

# Today: Windy with a mix of clouds and sun. Warm. High 81F. Winds SSW at 20 to 30 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy this evening with more clouds for overnight. Low 63F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Mau that's one of our Holiday Deer.
We're leaving the Moose out.... haven't gotten around to......

Beautiful here today!
Clear, Calm and Sunny!
Should be 81°.... AGAIN WAY too Hot for now.
Our normal high is 61°.
We show a huge drop forecast for Weds-Thurs.
Best guess someone gets pounded.
We could be looking at some serious weather tomorrow afternoon.

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

47º
Overcast. Sprinkles.
Rain later today.

(Zone 7a)

35.3 °F with 40º for the high. Hopefully by tomorrow all this bad weather will be gone for awhile.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 30 °F
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 18 °F
Wind: 6.0 mph from the West
Wind Gust: 17.0 mph
Pressure: 30.10 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Jealous of everyone's accomplishments and flowers. I'm going to curl up with my book and pout.

Yoshino cherry will be opening soon.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

The pollen is so thick here that we can see it falling from the sky, and you can see it in the air also, everything looks like a yellowish smog, and of course everything has a coat of pollen on it. Heard on the news that the long, cold winter has created more pollen than normal, no wonder DH Dave's having such a hard time this year. And the valet parking downstairs from the office had my car window open yesterday, so my black dash has a tint of yellow on it. LOL now I Have to dust it! LOL

LOL Ric, never fails!

Nice Betty Boop Celia! OOOO your cherry is getting close!!! I hope that blizzard passed by and the snow is once again melting. I feel so bad about your bad weather!

(Zone 7a)

The snow is melting but the clouds are bunching up again and it's getting dark out there. Ick.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Usually the bunnies climb in the crape myrtles, which are much bigger, and are strong enough to handle them. They just "branched out" (haha) into the mountain laurels once, and I shooed them off when I noticed them in there... the laurels' branches are too thin for the weight. I didn't blame them for trying, of course. :-)

That's beautiful, Adina!

Hang in there, Celia! Spring is coming! ^_^

The pollen here is exactly like that, too, Crissy. My poor friends with allergies are miserable. :-(

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (8 min ago)
Temperature 84 °F 29 °C
Dew Point 62 °F 17 °C
Humidity 59%
Pressure 29.90 in 1012.4 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH
G 26 15 kts
G 23
Wind Dir S 170°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 79 °F 26 °C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 68.0°F / 20.0°C

Rest of today Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Breezy. Highs around 80. South winds 15 to 25 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

(Zone 7a)

I know. But I want it NOOOOW!!! LOL

It's snowing lightly.

Marylyn, the Astros game was on ESPN, so I got to see it. As an Astros fan, you didn't miss much, but I'm sure you already know that. It was less ugly than the Dodger game. They can't even beat the Pirates.

I have a TX mountain laurel but it is done blooming. I have never smelled it. It is up on a steep slope. I have bearded irises that smell like grape soda. They are some old variety that came with the house.

It's pollen time here, too. Anywhere the water dried up outside there are yellow rings and spots. I think it's pine tree pollen right around here. There are a lot of oaks in the wild but people don't have them in their yards. Sometimes I'll be sneezy when I first get up but the rest of the time I'm o.k. That may just be dust in general. I've really neglected my room.

Windy today, which doesn't surprise me since we got rain yesterday. It's enough to make the house creak once in a while.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on April 06, 2010
69 °F
Clear
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 24 °F
Wind: 18 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 26 mph

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric: I am ROFLOL at myself (not to mention, somewhat embarrassed)! I went back and looked at your photo again and it is plain as day--I was just looking at it wrong!

Crissy pretty well described what it is like in our area--yellow pollen everywhere! I managed to get the yard mowed in spite of the pollen, though. The wind wasn't too bad this morning but it has really picked up this afternoon. After mowing, I came inside and cleaned up and I haven't been back outside since, except to take a couple of pics of the flowerbeds.

Hopefully, we will get some relief from all this pollen after it rains tomorrow. I am hoping they are correct about having rain in the forecast!

My Eveline Veronica is blooming. It was so bright outside when I took this picture that the color of the blooms was washed out, but you'll get the idea.

Thumbnail by marsue

Your veronica looks like the hedge-nettle that grows here.

Here is an article on mountain lions in the Santa Monica Mountains. http://www.dailynews.com/search/ci_14819737?IADID=Search-www.dailynews.com-www.dailynews.com

High in the mid 70s and now at 74 with super high humidity. Major storms north of Missouri river but nothing here yet. Storms moving northeast.

Had major ant infestation in my room again. Had to spray baseboard this time to kill them along with a few other things. Now my room smells like cloves and bug spray. Yuck!! lol

Got my truck back tonight!! So far so good!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Interesting article, Kelli. Thanks for posting that link. It must be comforting to you to know that you are 1000 times more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to be attacked by a mountain lion! :o))
On another subject, the Mead's Strain amaryllis and the iris you sent me are both doing well. I'm eager for both of them to bloom.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We crossed, Pepper. Sorry about the ants in your room--and the smell! Glad you got your truck back!

Ric: take a look at this (look closely): Big Dipper made it through the winter! I was beginning to worry but then I found these two pups this afternoon poking up from the mulch! Hooray!

Thumbnail by marsue

My ee's are still in the basement. I need to get them outside. lol.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Those two Big Dippers were in the ground all winter--I was worried they would not survive, but they did. I had some ee's in pots in the storage shed. They don't look as if they survived but I am not giving up on them yet.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

75 °F now.........84 °F and sunny earlier today! Everything is busting out here. If we get a freeze we'll be hurting. Barely a trace of rain either, although they have called for it several times the past few days. Expecting at least 80 °F tomorrow.

marsue........It's always nice when they pop back up in the spring. It looks like all of the gallon pots I didn't get planted last fall over-wintered well. I covered them with leaves and hoped for the best.

Kelli..........I found that the best way to keep safe in mountain lion country is to tie a pork-chop to my buddies backpack!

Ric..........the shed is looking good.

Photo: Dressed up the sitting garden with these copper post caps I found at HD on clearance for a $1 apiece.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quote from Early_Bloomer :

Kelli..........I found that the best way to keep safe in mountain lion country is to tie a pork-chop to my buddies backpack!

ROFLOL!!!

Note to self: Don't be E_B's buddy!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks e_b and all.
We'll have it mostly sheathed by tomorrow afternoon.
We need 5 sheets of OSB to finish.... can only carry 3 at a time in the car...lol!

But the roof will definitely be tight tomorrow.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Kelli......I always carried a water filter when I was backpacking but some of the other guys didn't. One guy in particular was really bad. I actually saw him fill his canteen from a puddle in an elk wallow. He never got sick! He carried powdered Country Time Lemonade with him and always added some to his water. Said it killed anything! Used to joke that he would be their spokesman someday.
He's the guy I always hung the pork-chop on! It worked for bears too!

early_bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.