April Showers 2010...

(Zone 7a)

Eeeeeek, Kelli! I have the same composter. I better keep a better eye on it. I haven't been out there in a few days. I'm sure the bees are not out yet but...

Good luck on the leak, Dyson. Glad you're feeling much better, too.

Hi, Cindy!!! (waving)

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Dyson: good luck with waterproofing your shed.
Pepper: your customers must have plant antennae that are tuned in to the arrival of your new plants! LOL
Ric: what pretty little blue flowers!~ Is that a "Dead Nettle". Charlotte just gave me one and the leaves look like that. Funny name for it because it isn't dead and it isn't a nettle. :P

My DGS, Zach, age 9, is here with his dad and me for the week-end since last night. He just woke up (4:45 a.m.) and came into my bedroom and said his nose was stopped up. I sprayed a nasal spray into each of his nostrils and put him back to bed. Hopefully he will go back to sleep until time for me to get him up for school at 6:30. Even though his dad is in the other bedroom, Zach always comes to me whenever he first wakes up in the morning. He gets in my lap and snuggles for a while until he remembers he is nine and nine year old boys aren't supposed to snuggle like "babies" !!! LOL (I was already awake so he really didn't wake me up.)

Today: Sunny, with a high near 71. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 43. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Somebody either here or on Cubits said they couldn't imagine what it was like to have so much pollen in the air. This is what it looks like after it settles on everything outside. I don't know if you will be able to tell from the photo that it is yellow--it mainly just looks like dust in the picture but, believe me, it is yellow!

Thumbnail by marsue
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

45° the rain has stopped - but it is too dark to do anything yet.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

33°. We'll see some sun and 60°. It's got to feel better than yesterday!

Ric, it was interesting to learn a little about snakes. Don't ya just love baby chicks?

Legde, laughing. If you wash the windows here, it rains! Your tomatoes sound like they're doing well. I have one that could be moved. It has a second leaf.

Oh Kelli! How neat to know the bees come every year! I saw a hive at a vacant house in the country. I couldn't believe how thick the air was with them coming and going. I decided then that having a hive in the yard here, wasn't a good idea.

Dyson, good to know you're feeling better. Don't overdo. You have time.

Cindylove, giggling, I love iris. It's so exciting to finally get to see a flower bloom! I'm planting for the bees and butterflies too. Especially after I noticed we didn't seem to have many of either, one year.

Dyson, I hope you can fix the leak. Our neighbor needs a whole new roof on hers and I wish she would get one on. Under the shed is a full basement with nice stairs to walk down.

Marsue, I wonder where he got the rocks from too. One looks like a hand grinder made from clay. I'll post a picture or two. I need to find them first. A good tired. I love that feeling. I'm glad you're able to get out and work. I understand what "Make hay while the sun shines" means" :o) Did you get the orange milkweed? I love the scent of the common. Plain color, but sweet scented.

Pepper, wind does do a plant in, but hopefully they'll come out of it. It looks like the whole world was waiting for spring this year. I don't know why. Our winter wasn't too cold or snowy, but spring fever was just there in January. They'll be back and they'll buy more!

Ric, beautiful sky blue color!

Celia, ROTFL! What are the chances of having the same composter! Neat picture! I can see purple in his feathers.

Marsue, I hope he enjoys snuggling for a long time. He sounds like a sweetie. I saw the pollen in the air on the news. I was amazingly horrifiied, LOL! It's unbelievable!

Smile.

It was windy yesterday.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I didn't take any pictures, but I think there was as much pollen as moisture in my rain gauge! Down to 39 this morning and a freeze warning already posted for tomorrow. Yesterday's high of 60 was more than 20 degrees below the previous day, and we probably will not get even there today. Maybe I'd better take some pictures of blooming trees and shrubs today while they last.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Tree Pollen is at record levels here too.
I have a shot somewhere where I wrote YELLOW on the car roof a few years back.
I don't usually have allergy problems but that pollen and something I ate for dinner caused hives and swelling in my lower jaw last night.
I looked like Jay Leno.
Antihistamine and ice took care of most of it overnight.
My Mother was allergic to about everything so I'm lucky.... lol!

Sally THAT's windy! lol!

39° here this morning.
Heading for 58°. Dead Calm and Clear.

Mau that's Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’ in the last post.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56830/

There's nothing in that shot to give you a sense of scale.

Here's regular Brunnera w/ Helleborus.
The Brunnera will eventually get a leaf about as big as my palm.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Mau that's a perfect picture of the pollen. It doesn't seem to be so bad since it rained the other day, but it's still covering everything. LOL DGS way cute! Have a great time with them this weekend!

Pep we're supposed to have nice weather for at least a week here.

Hope you get your leaks fixed Dyson. That's very difficult to do.

Well I'm reading and it's not sinking in, so I guess I'll get more coffee and try to wake up! TGIF!!

(Zone 7a)

Pepper, their feathers do show a rainbow of colors. I love the crows. So smart.

38.9 °F with 54º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 39 °F
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 21 °F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 30.07 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Pollen. Yuck!!!

This fellow was flying around for quite awhile yesterday. It's a trainer.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

That's awesome, and that blue blue sky!! Finally!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Not sure of temps yet but it's pretty darn warm out there in the sun. Working on digging up my garden since it's too wet to till still. I get a couple rows done then come in and cool off for a bit. Pulling weeds and trying to identify plants too. I have what I think are lilies growing but not sure cause I don't remember planting them. LOL. One Jack in the Pulpit survived winter so I'm gonna see how much I like it then get me more. lol

Also went to Westlake Hardware today and got a "Pink Dawn" Viburnum for a friend's birthday on Monday. She loves pink and this will be perfect for her. The only one they had too or else I would have got one for me and figured out later where to put it. LOL

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Weather today is again beautiful, sunny & warm with temps in the 70's..just the way I like it, but not that way it's going to be all year here!!!
Billyporter, I did my garden last year to attract butterflies & bees & hummingbirds & was successful in all three! Thanks to Sheila_FW for sending me tropicla milkweed seeds as they had Monarch caterpillars on them for a few days!!
SO this year I am at it again only doing a LOT more. I always had bees but mroe so last year as I let salvia , that had grown wild.overtake one part of the garden...so it was amass of honey bees..which are also in danger...
I got a REAL TREAT this morning... a hummingbird was at my new feeder!!!! Only it got scared away as I pulled up the blind.. & I don't know if it's the retunring one from the fall or not! Needless to say I did a little "happy dance"!!! hahahahaha

(Zone 7a)

I didn't get to go out today, unless you count going to the bank. It got cold out there! Not freezing but enough I din't want to go.

Pepper, I want some lillies. Lillies and everything else! LOL

Yea, for you Cindy!!! I can't wait for my hummers to come back. We have at least a month to wait, though.

My niece, her mom and I are going to Vernal to visit with Crystal. She is having her baby shower. We are going to have fun, fun, fun!!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Very warm here.
My son built a bigger outside place for our hens.
I started working on the new pond.
I must be really ambitious!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Have fun at the baby shower, Celia! I'm sure you will be in "grandma heaven" looking at all those cute baby clothes and other baby things! :o))
Cindy: Hooray--you have a hummingbird!
BP: waves on the birdbath--now that is windy! LOL
Kelli: Speaking of bees, the local news just reported that there is a couple in Little Rock who knew they had bees in their attic for the last 5 or 6 years but they didn't do anything about it until this week when the honey started dripping through their ceiling!!! They called in a bee expert to get rid of the hive. He discovered a hive that was over 10 feet long and he estimated it had 90,000 bees in it! WOW!! I wonder how he got rid of all those bees?
Ric: that brunnera is a really neat-looking plant. Sorry about the hives although it would have been something to see you as Jay Leno!
Pepper: maybe your friend will share the vibernum with you once it gets bigger. :o))

The local news also reported that there was a 1.6 magnitude earthquake in the same general area where we had one a few days ago. The quake was centered in an area which is about 40 miles northwest of where I live. The New Madrid fault runs down into Arkansas from Missouri but that is in the eastern part of our state. The two recent 'quakes have been in the central portion of the state.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Marilyn, your pollen picture looks just like here.

It feels hotter than 70F

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on April 09, 2010
70 °F
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 48 °F
Wind: 12 mph from the South

We went hiking today and it was pretty strenuous. I have sore feet and knees.

caterpillar phacelia

Thumbnail by Kelli

collarless California poppy

Thumbnail by Kelli
Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Everyone:

It is 50 here, with fog and a high wind warning for tonight. A hour or so ago there was a brief, about 10 minute torrential down pour. Not fit for man nor beast out there. Enjoying the fire in the wood stove. Snow in the western mountains this weekend - but not here - hopefully.

Not much in the way of pollen here yet - but when all the pine and other fir trees start putting it out everything gets covered in a yellow green powder.

Dyson - hope the roof got fixed.
Ric -driving home tonight I was listening to NPR and there was an interview with a man who milked poisonous snakes. He was 65 and said he was lucky - had been doing it for years. Thought of you.
Celia - happy baby shower!

Have a good Friday night everyone!

chaparral virgins bower

Thumbnail by Kelli

We saw 7 different kinds of ferns. This one is California lace fern.

Thumbnail by Kelli

ceanothus and virgins bower - The color of the sky is only slightly exaggerated.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2010 8:25 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli
Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

The weather here in N.W. Missouri(Pony Express country!) is simply gorgeous today. It's green, many early spring flowers are blooming, and the sunset this evening is full of reds, oranges, and yellows combined! Mushrooms will be popping up soon along edges and in the timber and gardening will be in full swing. My apricots are blooming now and my many home orchard fruit trees will soon be blooming too. I hope to be outside a lot this weekend to enjoy it. Have a great weekend everyone.
Cuckoo

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli that looks like a tropical fern. Lovely!

From last year.

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Wow, Mau!!! Hey, that rhymes. LOL I can't imagine that many bees in one place.

Welcome back, Cuckoo!

I think almost everything survived the cold weather. The tulips are coming along.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Golden barbarry finally waking up. This is the only one I've had survive for me.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

The grass seems to be taking over my geranium! Eeek!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Memorial garden coming along nicely.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

I like how this turning out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Anemones.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

I have to check if the dwarf bamboo died but the hellebores look great. The carex needs trimming.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Spirea finally leafing out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Celia it looks as if things came through pretty well.
Let me know on the 'boo..... if it didn't make it I can probably get you more.

Holding steady at 43° .... so far.... lol!

Ready for the finishing touches on the Shed.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Ric, great job! The shed looks great, congratulations! Will you paint it?
Celia, your garden is great!
Kelli, great pics!
Mau, that much pollen? Poor Zachary has allergy..ugh!
Sally, lovely bird fountain!
Jackie, such a beautiful family picture! Did they leave yesterday?Cool egg!
Crissy, your garden is awesome! Thanks for the pics!
I have been weeding and divided the strawberry bush yesterday, but I still have more to do. They are about 100 bushes!!! Imagine I had only 2 last year!
We had a few showers yesterday, but it was warm, 70F and a bit cloudy.
Here is the strawberry garden, still undivided.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1086698/

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

42º Cloudy, sun later.
Started on my pond yesterday. Waterfall will go where old pond & new pond will go just behind the pot, in front of the wishing well.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Sunny and gorgeous today in N.W. Missouri. It doesn't get any prettier than this. I wish I could clone days like this. Country Gardens looks like a great spring project you have going on there!!
Cuckoo

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

April showers...April 5th..

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Apr 25, 2010 5:29 PM

LOL forgot about the new thread

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 12:37 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.