Cost Effective Vegetable Gardening Part 2

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm jumping in here again to comment on the 'no grass' thing. We're currently doing that in our back yard. Unfortunately all I have are essentially 'before' pictures, because we are not very far along. But I am excited! And if it turns out well, then we will do the same in our front yard, and then sell the lawnmower.

Calgary, Canada

I think it takes a few imaginative persons to give other people the idea that they do not need golf course quality lawns and can do other things with their yards,

Keep up the good examples and other people will see the value in them and copy them.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

LiseP - I'm going to keep the mower and use it to turn leaves into mulch!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh yall are funny.

that is great to hear what is going on in your park.... One of my pet peeves has been why not have trees and flowers in them. Many years ago my grandfather started up the first one in his home town and he made sure there were plenty of trees to provide a lot of shade. Nothing like living in a mobile home and not have shade, like living in a tin can... at least that is how I have thought of it...

I am trying to come up with a plant to rid most of my front and back yard of the grass, except the fenced area that my collies are in, I want them to have grass.

Janet

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Since we are talking about converting lawns into edible gardens I wanted to share a really cool you-tube video that shows you just that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljif3PjSCDU

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link, carminator. I think the couple in the video mentioned everything they were growing, except the giant sunflowers right next to them :)

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL you are right. I unfortunately can't replace all my front lawn, but I was thinking of taking all the ugly bushes that I have right next to all my windows and trying to plant some bushy type plant that could give me fruit, any ideas on any that will not get very tall, I was looking into blueberries but is there any other besides blueberries? I was also thinking on lavender because I love the smell and flowers and also some herbs.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

carminator - as soon as I read that you were looking to replace your "ugly bushes" I thought "Blueberries" - then I read on, and you had the same idea.

How about goosberries (sp) they are thorny and would deter burglers! We had some in our garden when I was a child and they took no care, and didn't grow very tall. Green ones are bitter, but the red ones are sweet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.