Seed Swap & Chat # 55 - sowing and germination

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Lynn, sorry to hear your kitty is unwell. Have some
catgrass seed mix I can share.

Lea, Was it you I was getting the butterfly bush
rooted for?

In the extras of the piggy swap I got some "Indian
Giver" Daylily seeds. I'm so excited cause every
single one has come up. They're about 4" tall.
Thanks to whoever put them in :)

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry I don't know what kind of cat grass they were growing or even what kind would be best. I'm glad Ginger is doing better & hope someone can help you out with the cat grass :)

ants

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

That was fast :)

ants

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Cris. I will send you postage. Ginger thanks you - meow.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey guys,
Sorry it's been awhile. I've been kind of busy because I'm hosting the So. Cal. RU next week.
LeBug, sorry to hear about your son's burn? I use different medicines for burns. Living where I do, there is always some aloe vera close by. I cut off the spines along the edges of the leaves and then split it lengthwise down the center. Then I tape it over the burn. I repeat until the burn disappears. Never had any scars using this method. Another thing you might try is RAW Honey.
Not the kind that has been processed. Best to get from a local bee keeper. Apply like a poultice and it will help the burn heal faster. They are using honey impregnated bandages in Australia, and in Iraq.
Missed you all, and hope to be back to show off some pretties that did come back soon.
WIB,
SW

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Pat, I received the comfrey, thanks a ton. It's planted and hopefully will 'take off'. :o)
Your postage is in the mail today.

SW, any home cures for poison ivy??????

Lynn, hope Kitty recovers fully .... keep fiber in her diet ... hee hee.

Neil, you are planting your snapdragons outside already???? that means I should start thinking about doing it in a week or 2. Hurray!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep, Snapdragons can take some frost, so I'm getting them out. Still have some red ones and variegated ones from the swap to plant, letting them get a wee bit bigger. We're having a very dry April, sure hope this isn't going to one of those years!

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Ugh it's snowing this morning! Hope all my pretty dafs and hyacinths can take it. Some are flopped over!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Meredith, usually they stand back up when the sun comes back out. If its not super cold, they should be fine.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Evelyn... I don't have any seed s either, hadn't heard of the plant til herbspirit was sharing info about it. You might send herb a dmail and see if they have any seeds, but may be a wee or two before ya get an answer.

Can somebody tell me is Lion's tail suppose d to go in the sun or shade or in between and will the small leaves budding out on the side at the nodes, branch out into more branches or not?

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi All! I've been meaning to ask, now that I actually have some Milkweed seedlings (YEAH!), should I pinch them? The biggest are about 9" tall with one strong looking stalk and not really any branching. These are the orange tuberous kind from Lea I believe. I also have some Scarlet up from Ella. SO excited!

I saw a great big yellow/black butterfly yesterday, and just sat down on my new bench to watch it flutter all over the place. Didn't really stop at the few blooms I have yet, guess they're too small or not the right type, but it was beautiful!!! I plopped one of the milkweed in the ground not 4' from the bench, just in hopes that I'll have lots more butterflies to watch come summer!

Sorry Star I am not sure what Lion's Tail is, so I am no help.
KL, I've never pinched mine. I really don't think they would benefit from it, as they stay pretty short and full naturally. ~At least mine do :)

Thanks Gem, you give me hope! My forecast has changed from 4 days of showers to 3 days of possible snow showers! It isn't supposed to get very cold at least! http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/pets/tenday/03051

This message was edited Apr 16, 2010 11:47 AM

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Do you pinch Cosmos?

I've never pinchedmine, but I could see that benefiting them as they grow extremely tall. I am always worried I won't get flowers soon enough after pinching annuals, but I have amuch shorter growing season than many of you.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

twofewanimals,
Comfrey, calamine lotion or caladryl. Wash thoroughly before applying with soap and water. A wise Indian told me, "For every plant that can poison you, the cure is growing near it."
We don't have the poison ivy here. We do have poison oak, though. DH waded through a patch of it before reaching the creek he needed to check for water at one of his bee locations. No water in creek and he'll have to bring water in for his bees. So without thinking he doesn't wash off his exposed arms. You can spread it by contact, and he started scratching and rubbing it, instead of washing it off. He knows better. I guess that is the only thing he is allergic to. So I made him use Caladryl lotion, but he can't control his scratching and rubbing so it took a long time for it to finally scab over and go away. I seem to be immune to it, but then again I usually try to carry wet wipes or at least some water. In a pinch I've used mud to wash off the poison oak oil. Had a pretty bad case of poison oak as a kid, sis got the worst of that adventure. Since then I have been in contact with it on numerous occasions and seldom have a reaction to it. Then again I can control myself and not scratch or rub.
The mud treatment is good first aid for a variety of bug bites/stings on the farm. I am really allergic to wasp bites, (meat wasps really do bite and take chunks of you!), and red ants. Those will put me in bed so I try to avoid them and when I can remove them from my yard. They can live in peace on the rest of the farm, but I want my yard to be red ant free.
I am goofing off, and last night I forgot to turn after the computer when I posted and here you all are to entertain me this fine cold morning. It's a whopping 55 degrees in cloudy CA. We've been getting some rain and after four years of drought it's nice. Everything is green and has been since Dec-January. It's way too late for me to plant snapdragons, violets, or many of the plants you are talking about. I have been busy cleaning and transplanting things.
So far many of the plants have survived the winter that I started from seed last year. I am especially pleased by that tiny blue flower that sort of grows like allysum, and the edible hibiscus made it through too. I didn't have a chance to plant many of the seeds that were generously given to me. I did list them and if someone needs something I have listed and I haven't planted it or given it away, LMK, and it's yours. I'm sorry that some of the seeds I sent (gourd) didn't germinate. Sometimes that happens. The RoadRunner is bringing me a bunch of different gourd seeds when she attends the RU, so I'll have some of those to share next year.
I am also happy that my Bleeding Heart somehow survived (3 plants). I hope that they survive the doggy tails. I try not to go near them or display too much interest in them.
I'm really bummed that DH's guys weeded out those lovely poppies I had in my raised planter last year. Luckily I have seed, and another poppy plot.
The Mother of Thousands plant is also thriving outside, and I should be getting some nice blooms this year.
The banana has three bunches growing 2 that are flowering right now. It seems to be reaching it's growth limit on the heighth. The banana stalks aren't growing as tall. Thank goodness, it's a dwarf banana.
Other than that, life is good, and I plan on checking in more often after the RU. I do think that it would be nice to have a place where we can find natural remedies for things. Imagine the knowledge and the people that could help! I don't know how we could do it, but perhaps we should anyway.
WIB,
SW

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Star, I had my Lion's tail in part shade last year & it didn't bloom much, so putting mine in more sun this year. Mine did branch out last year, but not much. Probably due to lighting.

ants

Thumbnail by antsinmypants
Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

SingingWolf, I am pretty much immune from the poison ivy also, but DH has to go get a shot from the doctor, sometimes 2 shots to get rid of it.

ants

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I was just out watering my garden and am amazed at how far along in the season I am, than you all. Then again we've had more rain than usual. So I have more weeds to pull.
Just wanted to let you know I just found a poppy in my raised planter. They either missed it or it was late sprouting. LOL. : - )
I need to take photos to show you.
I can't tell you guys how much I've missed your chatter and advice. I've had a lot on my plate, but am getting caught up slowly.
WIB!
SW

ants, that is an awesome picture. I havenever seen a Tiger at my creeping phlox! Mine are still small... really pretty picture! :)

Ooh, I know nothing about butterflies, but that's the one I saw here the other day! So big!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Oh, ants...beautiful phlox...I have a picture from a few seasons ago...

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Ella, the Lions Tail likes plenty of sun. Mine got 7' tall or more last year. Most of the seedlings will stay upright and branch later, but I had a few like that, that had side shoots growing when small. They did bush more, but still got tall. Makes me think pinching those may be a good idea.

SW, its good to see you posting again :-). Spring was slow getting here, but when it happened, it went into overdrive! I've had things all blooming together this year, that typically never do. I'm enjoying Bleeding Hearts with Helebores blooming side by side this year. Lilacs and particular Daffodils are making the whole yard smell wonderful, and Iris have started blooming. The weeds and grass are on the same momentum though, I've been hard at it, and its tough to stay on top of it! The good thing is, the blooms and fragrance and great weather keep me outside, and if I'm already out I can't stop myself from yanking a few weeds or something.

Getting seedlings planted has been great- I weed and manicure an area before planting seedlings. I've started so many seeds, I'm sure I'll have all the beds worked over before I know it! Planted Ella's Carnations 'Grenadin Mix', several different Foxglove, George's Elecampane, basket of gold alyssum from one of you, Kim's Creme de Casis Hollyhocks and Charmer Salmon Flax all planted the last couple of days.

Wow it's so fun to see the different plants that attract the butterflies. I've never seen one on those grassy foliage type Dianthus. They love my Sweet William though! I have a ton of butterfly pictures in my picasa web album if any one wants to check it out.
http://picasaweb.google.com/FlutterbugGarden/MyButterflyGardenInAction#
Oh yeah, I grew those Lion Tail too, they got really tall! I think mine were 8'! They had some small side branches.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2010 8:10 PM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Meredith, one of the names for those Dianthus is Grass Pinks. They're so fragrant, I love having large drifts of them so you don't have to bend over the smell them, LOL. Mine are budding now. They're a breeze to divide and start, let me know if you'd like some.

Do you think Dianthus arenius counts as the same? I started some seedlings of those, from seeds I got from Diane's seeds They were advertised as smelling like Vanilla~i think. Trying to have every week of bloom season to have a butterfly favorite! It seems their faves change evry year though!! : )

oops that name wasn't right here's a google search on the ones I have http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS250US250&ei=SAHJS5yGBsP38AbEzbSIBw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CBAQBSgA&q=Dianthus+arenarius&spell=1

This message was edited Apr 16, 2010 8:31 PM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Those are different, but aren't they great! I believe I have some from last years swap that are going to bloom this year! These are also known as Cheddar Pinks, Dianthus gratianopolitanus. I believe what I have is Bath's Pink.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73553/

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I wish Dianthus could take our summer dry heat. Same for Sweet Williams. Although, a neighbor from Riverside used to be able to grow them. They bloom the 2nd year, right? I should try again. Always loved all of them.
We had a mild winter for us. It was cold, but we only had maybe one hard freeze. I had things blooming or fruiting out of season. Like my Angels trumpet just got done blooming?! My beef steak tomato I planted last spring finally flowered and fruited, and the mater is ripe. It's the size of a cherry tomato too. LOL!
My front yard is bursting out with blooms. The raised planter is full of pinks and purple flowers, the Honey bird Bush never stopped blooming.
Dad's POB didn't make it, but I still have seed and even order it already started. Sigh.
The best part about this part of year for me is that Honey Locust are blooming right now, along with narcissus, and iris, and aloe, and the two kinds of Honeysuckle are blooming too. The wisteria is still blooming and will continue to bloom as long as it doesn't get too hot and sunny. My back patio is covered with purple blossoms. Which make a great weed preventer. I sweep 'em up and put them in flower pots to keep out weeds.
The fruit trees and berry bushes are blooming, and due to spacing of the rain this year, many of the wild flowers are putting on more flowers and haven't started putting on seed yet. Some have.
The bad part is that with my allergies I don't get to smell all the wonderful scents. I'll bring in some of the Honey Locust blooms because they smell good dry too. Smell just like honey.
Spring is here and I'm already having to water. Thank goodness for drip irrigation and auto timers!
I'm glad to be posting again, things got to be kind of busy for a while, but I know where I have friends. LOL!
Back in January I was having a lot of problems with logging onto DG. Seems my computer wanted cookies. We fixed the problem, but it took some time and help from admin.
Really I did follow along with the piggy swap, and you all know if I have something you want, just ask. I'll send you seed. It's just hard for us CA's (and probably the folks in FL too,) because our growing season is so different than yours is. Most of our Daffodils bloom in Feb. and March, by now they and the tulips which we can't grow out here unless we force them, are done for the year.
I'm already harvesting strawberries and saw a little artichoke fruit growing yesterday out in the kitchen garden. Also saw gopher holes. : - (
It's been a busy year, and thanks to all my friends here at DG, I made it through. : - )
I'm not as sad these days about Dad being gone. My own FM seems to have stabilized, so life is pretty good!
I'm hosting the So. CA RU next weekend, and am really looking forward to meeting DG'ers I haven't met yet, and hanging with those I have. It's going to be a lot of fun.
You might not see much of me posting this next week, but I'll be back. Probably with photos.
:; -)
WIB!
SW

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

SW, I think these Dianthus may work well for you, they're really tough. We had terrible droughts 2 years in a row, and I never watered these. They weren't phased at all. Can't wait to see your pics!

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Thank you Meredith & evelyn. That was the first tiger I have seen at my creeping phlox. It landed long enough for me to snap one picture & flew up & away over the house. A hummingbird moth found it today & stayed quite a while going from flower to flower fast as a bee :) That creeping phlox started out as one little 4 inch patch about 5 years ago.

klstuart, I was wondering if that was like the butterfly you saw :) Had to really search to find it in my pics because it is so hard to see the butterfly in the pic when it is small & have taken lots of pics of creeping phlox.

SingingWolf, when I first joined DG I stumbled upon the threads about your Dad. I stayed up all night & was still reading well into the next day. I was touched, to say the least... I was actually bawling my eyes out. I wanted to reach out to you then but couldn't think of any words that could express how deeply touched I was. I am truly sorry for your loss & want you to know that your Dad's spirit still lives on & he is still touching peoples lives.

Oh, Meredith, I looked at your pictures :) Very nice! :) That Picasa program sounds pretty cool too. Had to download it. Will check it out more tomorrow.

I love the dianthus also :) I know it says they are biennial, but all of mine so far have been perennial for me.

ants

Thumbnail by antsinmypants
Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Going Garage Sailing today! A city wide Garage sale ... homes all over the city will be having their sales at the same time. :o)

Looking mainly for my daughters apartment, but who knows, maybe I'll find something for the garden.

So ants, it sounds like there is hope yet for my creeping phlox. Yours looks so beautiful!

My Sweet William have been perennial too. I found that after they flower the original plant seems to die out but not unitl after new growth had taken it's place. Just be careful cleaning them up in spring One year I tried pulling off all the yellow looking stuff and it sacrificed a lot of bloom. They perform much better if left to do what they will. :)

Has anyone ever buried Four O'clock seedlings up to their cotyledons I have some seedlings working on theiorsecond setofleaves and they are floppy and actually I just broke one looking at it! They are wrapping up in eachother. I want to pot them up and bury them deeper.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Although I don't know specifically about 4 o'clocks, I can tell you that I have not yet killed a seedling by burying it up to the cotyledons when transplanting. As long as you don't cover the crown of a clump-forming plant, I think seedlings generally benefit from being planted deeper than they were growing in their seed starting tray.

Oh good, I'll try it.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Lynn.... variegated cat grass. i grew it last year for Charlie...
i have a few others. i'll Dmail you the 'scientific' names once i dig them up.

Hope Ginger is feeling better.

just got home after being gone all week... bizzillion things to catch up on.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Thank you toofewanimals. You are welcome to some of mine if you'd like :) Just send me a d-mail.

Meredith, I did that to my dianthus also & had the same results. I had read about people running them over with a lawn mower to make them bloom again so thought they could handle some hand pruning :)

ants

I just finished my Salmon Sunset Four O'clocks. Hopefully they do good. I am really anxious to see if the blooms are as wonderful as I am hoping. :)

The Petunia Dreams Midnight from TooFew is the most gorgeous color! I have one bloom now, and it's the highlight of my patio! Can't wait till it gets to be a big plant (just a baby right now)! Wish I had planted more :)

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

I just looked up those Salmon Sunset Four O'clocks & they do look beautiful! I hope you get LOTS of seeds! :)

klstuart, I always wish I had planted more when they turn out so nice, but always wish I hadn't planted so many when they don't :)

ants

This message was edited Apr 18, 2010 7:34 PM

Same here!! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.