March Weather # 2

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Muscari bulbs are a bit strange.
I ran w/ a guy for a while over on GW who's Family was in the Tulip/Muscari bulb trade over in Holland.
http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/Muscari.html
We talked about them a lot.
I had 5 different species here for a while.
Basically if the bulbs got enough cold this winter they will bloom this year.
But don't be surprised if the just throw foliage this year.
They also like to be planted deep for their size 3-5".

Looks as if the rain is moving in this afternoon.
NO cold temps here so it will just be rain.
In fact it will be in the 60's here again today.

WOW that's a pretty good pile of snow!

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010 9:05 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful weather again today.
24º heading for mid 50's.
Still piles of snow around, but they should go fast.

Yesterday we took a trip to Brainerd. (Our home town.)
We dropped MIL off at my BIL's. They went to a local nursing home so she could visit some old friends.
We went to my brothers. I brought some things we missed for the cabinets we took up there a couple weeks ago. Spent the afternoon just relaxing & visiting. In the evening we went to a quaint little place for dinner. Fabulous food with ordinary prices. Had a very nice day.
Today I'm going to check out the home show in Mankato. Another brother has a booth there, so I need to check that out. Also looking for parts to finish our open porch.

Ric, looks like the birthday party was a success!

Bernie

This week, hopefully I can squeeze in a few hours to get some yard work done here.

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi All: - sorry to see the snow.
Kellie - I have heard of miner's lettuce and thought it might be "corn salad" so I looked it up and they are different the other name for miner's lettuce is claytonia and corn salad / Mache is different. Here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mâche

They are the same in that they are both edible greens. Gowing to try some mache. According to "Four Season Harvest" (Eliot Coleman) it is the only green that can be picked while frozen in the winter and still be good.

Rusty - love your raised bed set up!

Yesterday was as close to perfect as you can get for Maine in March. It was sunny, there was no wind and it was unseasonably warm. It got into the 60's and stayed there even when the clouds came in. Both Portland and Bangor broke high temp records. Today is cloudy with temp in the low 40's. More seasonable.

Lots of clean up to do outside,

(Zone 7a)

I'm with you. Ledge. Lots of clean-up to do. I;m off to do that and some planting.

Great day, All!!!

Redtail hawk.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We recieved around 10 inches of snow around here overnight. Now the temps are right around the freezing mark so things are thawing out on the roads and other hard surfaces. The sun is trying to come out too but not quite suceeding.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday to your Dad, Ric! He looks great!

My daughter lives about 130 miles to the NW of me in Harrison, AR. They have about 6 inches of snow on the ground today. I'm glad that didn't make its way down here.

I'm glad some of you are having weather nice enough to get outside today. It's been wet and cold here all day. It was 39F on my back porch at 7:30 this morning and it is still 39F. We have had a light rain all day. Not a good day to work in the yard--LOL We are supposed to be back up to 70F by Wednesday.

(Zone 3b)

26*F - should get up to the 40's by day's end.
Over 12 hours daylight and it's great to have these nice long days w/24 hour light not too far off now.
Welcome ledgegardner. I, too, love the pics in the LLBean catalog and would love to see Maine.
pepper~glad your nephew is home; good news.
Those in the flood zones, hope it skips past you.
Yesterday Frank put away the crutches and cane. Recovery is going well and he can put on a shoe next week.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

hi Marsue~crossed-new snow at your daughter's, must seem as if spring can't quite make up it's mind:)
Moose day before yesterday-it's mom was at the other side of the yard.

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Kiska, I'm glad Frank is improving.

I wish I could send some of this heat east for the rest of you.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on March 21, 2010
78 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 25%
Dew Point: 40 °F
Wind: 5 mph from the ESE

pictures from yesterday
winter vetch

Thumbnail by Kelli

some other kind of vetch

Thumbnail by Kelli

Time for a new thread. Please post there now. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1082618/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.