March Weather # 2

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I don't plan on leaving, but will not post every single day unless something noteworthy is happening.

Hot today. In case you are wondering, it will not stay this hot. It's just the usual spring hot spell. It brings out the flowers, though also dries things out.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on March 16, 2010
81 °F
Clear
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 32 °F
Wind: Calm

some pictures from yesterday
I was surprised to see a mud puddle when it hasn't rained for over a week.

Thumbnail by Kelli

I have never been to a RU, either, and for the same reason as Sally. DH is really weird about meeting people he doesn't know, and the So. Cal. RU is way out in Riverside County.

wild cucumber (not edible)

Thumbnail by Kelli

sun-cup

Thumbnail by Kelli

ring-necked snake

Thumbnail by Kelli
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I'll be hanging around here for the foreseeable future.

early_bloomer

(Zone 3b)

33*F Sunny - bright
This DG discussion has given me pause about not renewing: I really enjoy the comments and pics and getting know people I'd never otherwise have met. Somehow I need to find a balance between posting time and off time.
You are all special friends and when you're in Palmer, come on over. (you never know; last summer 3 DGers were here and it was instant "in-person" friendship).
crissyr~using both sites is a good idea. Reigning in onlinetime is the problem I'm working on.
Dyson~happy farming/planning as you recover.
kelli~other than the "S", always great hike pics.
CG~good luck w/hiring; it must be difficult to find the right person.
kwanjin-cool kitty~
bp~well put:)(
Adina~such gorgeous pics-wow
Wasilla Lake - skating area plowed. Cars and snowmachines use the lake, too, for a quick shortcut to the other areas across the lake.
This morning.

Thumbnail by kiska
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lots of gals come to RU without the DH. You wouldn't be out of place at all.
This will 6th Iowa Ru for me.
KY RU this year will be 3rd.
Might find my way to Wis. RU also.

Still raining, but supposed to clear off tomorrow.

Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I agree w/ Bernie.
The RU's ARE incredible.
We have a mix at ours.
Probably 50% 'singles' and 50% couples.
'Singles' being w/o their S/O.
Many of the 'singles' though bring a friend or kids.
Two of our couples are both DH members on their own.

I'm getting ready to announce our Spring in a few minutes.
We do a Fall one to. More a Picnic/Party than an RU.

Kelly those Cuke's look like Datura seed pods! OUCH!

60° here today and it finally got Sunny!

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

If any of you want to come over to the weather forum on the other site, please dmail me and I will add your name to our list of people allowed to see our weather forum. We made it private so we could continue to discuss our personal lives with one another without opening it up to the world wide web. You won't be able to see the weather forum on the home page unless I add your name to the list. A lot of us that are on this forum are also on the weather forum at the other site but there are several new folks there, too. My DG membership is up on May 17th. I haven't decided yet if I will continue here or not. I will have to give it some thought.

Ric: when is your ORVG RU taking place this year? Our Mid-South RU will be near Baton Rouge, LA on May 14 and May 15 if any of you are interested.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cold-high of 45, and cloudy and just plain miserable.

My nephew is in the hospital today. He has pnemonia really bad though he doesn't have a fever. He's not eating or drinking cause it makes him cough and gag so he hasn't been doing that for 4 days now. He's lost at least a pound and it shows. He's only 2 yrs old. He won't be out til Thursday at the earliest.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry about your nephew, Pepper. Sure hope the little guy gets better soon!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pepper!
Best of Luck to the Little Guy!!!!

The RU will be June 12th.

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Oh, Pepper! We will be thinking of him for the next few days.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin' Everybody! Happy St. Patrick's Day!
We're at a cool 31° with no wind. The snow is still laying on Peters Mountain. My mom always said that when the snow lays on the mountain during warm springs that we are going to get more. We'll see. ( I know... bite my tongue!)

Pepper, So sad. I hope that he gets better really soon!
I need to hang around more often! Will try to do that.

Must be going, BBL...Have a Great 'Green' Day!

(my Weigela is sprouting! :D)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

37 Deg

Details for Wednesday, March 17
Sunshine and clouds mixed. High around 65F. Winds light and variable.
Evening: Mostly cloudy skies early, then partly cloudy after midnight. Low near 40F. Winds light and variable.

Hopefully it will get closer to the predicted high than yesterday. - Dark

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

39° and I like it! Happy Saint Patricks Day! I'll wear me green Lucky Charms shirt today, complete with leprauchan :o)

Celia, I'm glad you're staying, I feel the same way! Besides, I would miss your sense of humor, wonderful cats and meeting the new Granddaughter!

Kelli, I'm glad to know you're stayng too! I would miss seeing your part of the world and I always enjoy your ''doings!'' I smile everytime I thing about your leadfoot :o) My DH too! He's retired, likes it quiet (had enough of worker friends to last a lifetime) and likes to stay home.

Early, I'm glad were not losing you. You take the best pictures in the best places, you have neat yard ornaments, and we haven't seen your Grandson in a whileI

Kiska, Weather wouldn't be the same without your moose, weather, vanishing coffee, ice works, etc.

Bernie, Ric, DH not keen on me going by myself either :o) I'm a bit of a loner, so I think I would be a bit out of place and overwhelmed.

Mau, I would miss you if you left. You go places and always have something interesting to add!

Pepper, prayers for the little guy. I'm glad they know what is wrong.

Joey, I love old ''sayings!" Be green yourself!

Dyson, we're close in temps. Today is going to be nice and tomorrow nicer! Hope your neck of the woods is the same. It will be porch sitting weather and the cats will keep your lap warm :o)

Nice pictures everyone!

I took a picture of a really bright jet trail and heard the robin singing. I had to get his picture :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

There is a funny looking thing in the eastern sky this morning! 34º Clear!
Going for 60º +.

Maybe do something outside today. still pretty muddy though.

Guy stopped out yesterday afternoon. Seems intelligent. I will be trying him out. At least he lives close. Hard to hire someone that has to drive a distance because we can't pay real big wages. We pay a fair wage though.

billyporter, there's a lady from Iowa City that always comes alone. Also quite a few from Cedar Rapids that all come as singles. (They have a little gathering once a month in the area.) I bet if you wanted, you could hitch a ride with someone.
The first time I went to Iowa RU, it was in DesMoines. Friday night we were to meet at a restaurant for supper. Walked in & the place was full. I must have had a DG look, because a lady jumped up & came over to us. It was Arlene. 20 some people around a table & within a few minutes it was like a big family meal. Could of swore I knew these people for years!

Almost time for coffee, later.
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I forgot my photo.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, you make RU sound great, but DH made it clear when I joined he didn't want me out and about or inviting people in. (Not in a bad way, just protective and wanting his privacy)

Beautiful photo!

40° The fog has moved into town, but it's not thick.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

This thread moves fast.
How wet is it? We live at the edge of a low area with streams & ponds. The area ground water table is usually 20 feet or more below the surface.
I visited my neighbor as he was poking around his 6,000 gallon fish pond yesterday. He was perplexed, the pond liner has lifted up reducing the pond volume significantly. We realized the ground water was pushing it up, it is seeping out around the pond edges from under the liner. His pond is 10 years old, 5 feet deep with many large exotic fish.
Andy P

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

WOW that must be some serious groundwater pressure!
I had that problem w/ a preformed pond but haven't really heard of it in a rubber liner.

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Neat Pic Bernie - Just got permission to plant - the season starts 41F.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sarahskeeper, we went into winter with a fuller than normal groundwater level and any big rains will not soak in for a while. I hope your neighbor doesn't lose any fish. 5' is a lot of water to lift!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Great news Dyson!!!

(Zone 7a)

Grrr...not caring for DG this morning...

41.2 °F with 61º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 41 °F
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 26 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.33 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

(Zone 7a)

Okay...I'm over it. ^_^

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY, everyone! I'm not Irish but it's fun to join in with those who are. My first husband's last name was(is) McDaniel, as is my son's so I'm assuming that is Irish although there are Mac's in Scotland so it could be Scottish. I don't think his family have ever researched it. As for me, I'm from French (Mizelle) and Dutch (Sharp) stock.

If I had the funds I would rent a private jet and just spend my time flying around to all the RU's! That's how much fun they are!

Whew! We are glad you are over it Celia! LOL
Hooray! Joey has sprouts!
Hooray! Dyson can plant!
BP: you say the nicest things. ((((((((((Sally))))))))) Good photo of the robin.
Bernie: good luck with the new guy. Nice photo!
Andy: you will find we are a very chatty bunch--if you miss one day you will have a ton of "news" to catch up on! LOL

Several of you have weather similar to mine this morning. Should be nice the next few days around here--up to low 70's by Friday!!!

If I had the funds I would rent a private jet and just spend my time flying around to all the RU's! That's how much fun they are! (I really didn't intend to say that twice but I'll leave it in because the RU's are really that much fun!.)

I'm making a shade garden. I started it last fall and I am adding to it this spring. My son helped me put up this trellis. I plan to plant clematis in front of the trellis. The clems will get all the afternoon sun while helping to provide shade for this portion of the shade bed.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2010 9:35 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! Sorry I went MIA again. We've been busy and I've been way overwhelmed with it all. Nothing dramatic or traumatic... I just don't do "busy" well.

The house work is coming along well. We bought paint this weekend and did the first coat on the bunnies' bedroom walls. The guys were here on Monday and replaced some drywall in the garage where the water seeped through, and painted the halls and replaced the baseboards. Today the wood laminate floor is going in, and by tomorrow everything will be finished. Yesterday I felt awful... I don't know if it was a touch of the flu or just the accumulation of too much paint fumes. I'm feeling better today, but I'm bummed because we didn't get the second coat of paint on the bedroom, and now we'll have to be really careful not to drip on the new floors. I'm a messy painter, so I liked not having to worry about the old carpet! LOL

Spring has definitely sprung here! The Texas Mountain Laurels are blooming beautifully. The weeds are eating my garden... Once the inside work is done, I need to get out there and pull them out! I'm looking forward to that, actually. :-) I'll take my radio out there and listen to NCAA basketball games while I work.

It's a beautiful day!! I dreamed last night that we were moving to Michigan, and I was NOT happy about going back to a place with a real winter. LOLOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CDT (46 min ago)
Temperature 51 °F 11 °C
Dew Point 46 °F 8 °C
Humidity 86%
Pressure 30.23 in 1023.6 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir NW 310°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 7 mi 11.3 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 46.9°F / 8.3°C

Today Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!!

Pep I'm hoping your nephew gets well soon!! I'm so sorry, that stuff is horrible.

LOL Celia, you crack me up!

50.5 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 17 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 2.2 mph
Pressure: 18.41 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds:
Scattered Clouds 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Today
Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of rain. Highs in the lower 60s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of rain in the evening. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent in the evening.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I forgot to add Dad Richard's 91st Birthday is Today!
We're doing Cake and Ice Cream Saturday.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!
(Blessings of St. Patrick's Day upon you!)
Ric

This message was edited Mar 17, 2010 11:07 AM

This message was edited Mar 17, 2010 11:07 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Yesterday was grandson's 13th birthday. We had sweet & sour meatballs, his favorite, & cake.
Tomorrow is MIL 92nd Birthday. No idea if there is a plan. She still lives in her own apartment, so she don't even seem that old to us!
She will be at our house for a while.

I got a plan for a desk in the mail today, so will be getting a price on that today.

Bernie

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Happy St. Patrick's Day to DG's!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Celia, LOL!

Marsue, thanks, it's from the heart! The shade garden is going to be nice!

Marylyn, I've been wondering how the house was going. How wonderful to be almost done! I'll bet the girls are thrilled! I'm glad you're feeling better. Paint used to make my Mom sick for a day or two. LOL. In my dreams we always move to a smaller house with no yard and I wake up ''sick'' to know I lost my home. Good thing I wake up!

Ric, a very Happy Birthday to your Dad! He's a great age!

Bernie, A big Happy Birthday to the new teenager! A wonderful Happy Birthday to MIL!! My Grandma was home till she was96. She did ok, it's just that she might have fallen or something right after someone checked up on her, so to assisted living she went. She passed just shy of her 98th B'day.

Hi Rusty!

SUN JUST CAME OUT AND I AM OUT OF HERE! :O)

(Zone 3b)

19*F sunny w/gorgeous blue sky.
Dyson~so glad you'll be planting soon.
I need to go mail a package and get some errands taken care of. Frank is offically off the crutches and onto a cane for the next few weeks so it's much easier now.
Nice knowing spring is easing on toward this part of the country. Love seeing the budding trees/flowers posted lately.
Woods along the driveway.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

It is really nice outside, so, I'm headed out there. Take, pics, sit in the sun, play with the cats, possibly plant something.

The trip to my nieces didn't last as long as I would have liked. Her son at school was VERY upset. She had to take him a green shirt because, "Everyone else has their green on!!!" I did get pics, though. Maybe you all can help me.

Her front yard is mostly shade. North side...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

South side...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

We planted the coral bells, the boxwoods and the creeping speedwell last year. One of the boxwoods died. That's the 2nd one that has died in that spot. She has daffodils, tulips and crocus but not enough of each. They seem to do just fine in the shade there. She has zebra grass and conflowers that do well, too.

I suggested wintergreen, bittersweet and more coralbells, as well as a hosta or two. Any other suggestions?

The back...I'm having issues with this yard. They tore out a bunch of roses. There are starwberries, lambs ears, iries, one butterfly bush (didn't get a pic) and perennial sweetpea, along with some vinca that is trying to take over and mostly succeeding.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

No clue what this is...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

I should mention they have 2 small chilren, 2 cats and a dog.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought the peeps would like this old pamphlet from 1910: http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/dupont/FarmingWithDynamite/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.