March Weather # 2

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Kwan,

It herb, sages...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Too funny, Marylyn!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kiska, I know you're used to the snow lingering while we talk of green grass, but I'm sure waiting for you to get green grass too! I'll bet Frank is happy to be getting by with a cane now!

Celia, I feel for the boy! He needed a shirt!

In the shade on the north, ferns, hostas or bleeding hearts take no care. I know they're common, but no care is the key. Yellow corydalis blooms in sun or shade all summer long. Siberian iris are tough and good for spring color. Take advantage of the gorgeous new peony colors! Daylilies, no care. Balloon flowers are a good color for blue. Knautia is different, likes sun and is a good deep red color. I love Ranunculous acris for an early spring yellow, sun or part shade. Fall asters are good color and good for the last of the butterflies. Even a rhubarb plant can be ornamental. Columbine for early bloom too! Pink mallow is tough and a beautiful clear pink. Physostegis almost glows in the late fall sun. Also good for sun or shade, but it will spread. Yellow yarrows!

The no clue looks a little like sage.

Marylyn, I got a kick from the pamplet. They still dynamite beaver dams around here!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Great pamphlet. I printed out the page about the stumps. Farmers up town will be interested.
One farmer talks about dynamiting a rock. It was near a line fence. They put a little extra under it to break it into pieces they could haul away. Well, the thing didn't break, just flew over the fence onto the other guys land. When they saw him he said it must have been a very hard winter. The frost pushed a big boulder right out of the ground. He went to his maker without ever knowing what really happened!
My neighbor where I grew up, blasted a rock & a piece stuck into another neighbors house 200 yards away. It was a dangerous deal.

Sun is nearly down. Stayed partly cloudy or sunny all day. High of 56º. Lovely.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

High of 45 and cloudy all day. Some drizzle early this morning. Tomorrow the sun is "supposedly" supposed to come out. We'll see. Temps supposed to be in the 60s too. I'm not holding my breath. LOL

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Marylyn, put lots of tarps down and clean up with a wet sponge. Paints have come a long way, they shouldn't make you woozy any more. I'm a painter, check the VOC ratings. Newer paints have near zero VOCs.
It was a perfect spring day with temps near 60. My buddy's fish pond is settling down after he added water to weigh down the ground water that was pushing up the rubber liner.
We live close to this brook.

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The River is still very high but has crested.
Just over flood at 50.6'.
No dramatic pictures.
But some funny ones.

Soccer Anyone?

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

There are, I think, 10 soccer fields here in this complex.
We have seen water up to the far road and the whole thing frozen before.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Visitors?

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Ooooo, Rusty! Thanks for the idea! That would be good in their raised beds in back.

BP, thanks for the recommends! I think we're going to have to tear out a bunch of stuff. The only problem is funding this project! LOL She has a finite number of $$$ but, I have some things I can share.

Ric, they ARE funny! LOL I love the gooses pic!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I got knocked off here about 10 minutes after posting the geese.
Just got back on.

Here's one of the river level monitoring stations.
They actually can control the minimum river depth by working the low water dams.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin! Temp is 35° & is supposed to be as foggy as yesterday mornin'. It was terrible drivin' all the way to Blacksburg...there the sun was out! It got up to 64°! I spent the evening pulling dead things & moving rocks out of the flower beds.

Ric, Those are some watery shots! I wish your dad a very Happy Birthday! :D I would have posted it yesterday, but couldn't get on here at all! Hope they got it fixed, what ever it was...
Andy, I hope the water has gone down some! When it's close to the house like that it tends to get really scarey! Our little creek was raging, but I sent it to Ric! :D
Celia, It's nice ot share. You get to make room in your garden & she gets new flowers! :D It should be lovely when you 2 finish. :)
Darius, Has you creek gone down?
Marylyn, Thanks for sharing! LOL! Neat & funny! :D
Dyson, So good that you found a place for your veggies! :D
Kiska, Still lovin' the snow pics! :D
Pepper? How's your nephew doing?

Gotta run... Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

(moss on my ladder back chair)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

38°. A degree cooler than yesterday. It's Dyson Dark with my favorite moon month. A Full Worm. Except, it isn't full till the 30th and March will be almost over.

Bernie, stories like that are great! They'll get a kick from the pamplet too. Make time, because there will be more stories to go with it!

Andy, how nice to be a brook instead of a creek. It's a much prettier name. It is a pretty place.

Ric, LOL! I think they're looking for their goalie! Great geese shot! Really cool pic of the river monitor! That's quite a bluff!

Celia, it's too bad the neighbors aren't more into plants. It's a good way to get free starts. There is always a drive to the country with a shovel and dishpans. I get a lot of flowers from the "roadside markets."

Joey, when I logged off last night it was seeming to be a little slow. Guess I quit at a good time. Moss is pretty! It's so emerald green here, but I love the firey tints in yours! Great close-up too!

The sun lit jet trail. It was so brightly silver. The picture shows some of that.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

39F And does anyone know how to invoke ascii charters in Linux? - there has to be a simple way but I have not figured it out yet - yea the second pot of coffee is on and I think not to soon.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Dyson, I recognze the word Linux and that's it.

Now that the sun is almost up, I see fog. A good fog! I hope the sun burns it off! I forgot the spring peepers have been peeping for about a week in the ditch water. How can they be in that cold water!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Dyson, I'm surprised a search engine didn't find the answer... If it's for internet use and you are using Firefox, they have a special character set.

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi All
New here and poking around. Love weather and report for CoCoRahs from here on the downeast coast of Maine.

Sarahskeeper in MA - my gosh you got a lot of rain! Here not that far away from you last weekend there was only 0.02 inches of rain, hardly enough to wet the deck! In fact yesterday afternoon we were under a Red Flag warning for wildfires. The snow has gone, it was windy and temps have been into the low 50's every day this week with lots of sunshine.

This morning 40, cloudy and calm.

Marsue - will send a dg mail (I think I can do that!)

Hope all are doing well as spring creeps northward. Hard to believe the weather is like this here in mid March. I keep looking over my shoulder for that blizzard that may yet materialize. There was no space to park at the feed store in Ellsworth yesterday as the crowds were out getting their gardening supplies. The old timers were saying this is unnatural and to keep an eye out as we are not out of the woods for winter weather yet.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Welcome Ledgegardener! It will be interesting to have two Maine weather reports. And nice to have another cold zone. Listen to the old timers, they know a lot! LOL!

Still foggy here!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dyson this might point you in the right direction.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/misc/31268-how-do-you-type-character-using-its-ascii-code.html

Nice and sunny going for the mid 60's.

We had a bit of excitement last night.
Around Midnight we heard a crash.
Neighbor called....
Here's what we found.

Driver was OK.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, ledgegardener, and welcome to the weather forum and DG! :-) My husband's family has a camp on MDI, so although I don't know Hancock, I definitely know Ellsworth! I wish we could get up there more often... It's gorgeous!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric, I'm glad he wasn't hurt. Hopefully he was alone.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric Thank you!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Glad I could help Dyson!
Dave (DG founder Dave) uses only Linux and is a good source.
He owns or started a few of the original sites.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Welcome ledgegardener! So nice to meet you!!

Celia boy that yard has some serious potential!

Love that pamphlet, that's awesome, I never knew!

48.6 °F
Clear
Windchill: 47 °F
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 21 °F
Wind: 4.0 mph
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph
Pressure: 18.41 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft
Today
Sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. West winds 5 mph.
Tonight
Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. South winds 5 mph.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2010 9:49 AM

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Marilyn - Yes ! you can't get to Mount Desert Island (and Acadia National Park) if you are coming from "away" unless you go down High Street in Ellsworth. There is a way to get most of the way to MDI without the High Street hassle.

MDI is a pretty fabulous place to have a camp! As you get close to Bar Harbor on route 3 and the cliffs are on your right, the ocean on the left is Frenchman's Bay - Hancock Point sticks out into the bay. By water I am about 4 miles from Bar Harbor, by road 37 miles. Can see Bar Harbor and the cruise ships from the beach.

Sure glad the driver of the car was not hurt!

Hope the lynux computer issue got solved - that is way beyond my understanding!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Nice to "meet" you, ledgegardener. We were lacking in New England "peeps". (I call everyone here my peeps.) About all I know of ME is what they show in the L.L. Bean catalogue, but it looks like a very nice place.

Can ordinary civilians buy dynamite nowdays, in these post Sept. 11 times?

How cute, a little Rhine River castle on the Ohio. :-)

When I see the word Linux, I think of Linus from the Charlie Brown comics. Though I have a science background, it wasn't computers and I was glad just to pass the only computer class I had to take. I think if I had learned BASIC first, it would have been easier, but in college they seemed to assume that everyone already knew BASIC, but I didn't. I wasn't able to get into computer class in high school.

Joey, your moss is pretty funky. In that picture, it kind of looks like a protea flower.

Well, gotta go to the store. I'll be back later with the ubiquitous hiking pictures. Consider yourselves forewarned! ;-)

(Zone 7a)

I'm going to jump in with a laurel (pretend I have one) and hardy handshake! Welcome, Ledge!!!

Eeeeeek! Ric, that's scary!

I understood all the individual words, but, the sentence? Huh...noooope!!

BP, the neighbors are into plants, they just aren't into that "sharing" concept you suggested. They look at you like... "What?"

48.9 °F with 54º for the high. We made it to 62º yesterday! Yea!
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 48 °F
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 38 °F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 12.0 mph
Pressure: 30.02 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 14000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Lots of maroon hellebore almost open.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Green ones already open!

This message was edited Mar 18, 2010 11:05 AM

(Zone 7a)

Grrr...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Rose leaves coming on nicely.

I have been warned. LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Columbine looking nice, too.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bea-u-ti-full day. sunny, warm - need not say more.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, no one hikes like you do!

Celia, not into sharing. Well, you need to bring a gorgeous plant and set it right in their sights. Your plants are farther than mine. No rose leaves and my columbine is just the tiniest ruffle. So cute!

The fog burned off by the time we got to town. I got a big bag of iris borer control and that's going on today! We have almost hit 60° with a westerly breeze. The rivers are up now and out of their banks. They are still shallow tho. Looks worse than it is.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Dyson, you are a man of few words, but you speak volumes :o)

Have a great day!

Quoting:
Kelli, no one hikes like you do!

It is true. I never seen anyone else out there with a camera. I am also the fattest person out there. It's not what I'd like, but maybe at least it will serve as a motivation to someone.

Today is not supposed to be quite as hot as yesterday.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on March 18, 2010
72 °F
Clear
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 43 °F
Wind: 5 mph from the South

some kind of phacelia

Thumbnail by Kelli

This tiny thing is called a lotus, though it is no relation to the water plant.

Thumbnail by Kelli

prickly phlox

Thumbnail by Kelli

classic scenery

Thumbnail by Kelli

miners lettuce - It is edible and it's good stuff.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, you're just one of a kind! You don't know how many times I think about that picture you took WHILE zooming down the highway. It makes me smile everytime! Love the flowers! I can actually see the sparkles on the phlox! Miners lettuce. Now that's a new one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.