March Weather # 2

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great pics everyone! It's getting warm here, I think Spring is coming!!!!
Sunrise this morning.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful here today!

I forgot to post the pic of the little church across the river.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's definitely Spring!

Leaping...

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

This morning we had heavy fog, then the sun came out and everyone was in a super mood cause we hit high 60s!! Tomorrow that will change cause the clouds come back and starting Saturday we get some snow. UGH!!

Graders came down the roads this week and fixed all the really bad spots so they are driveable again. No new gravel except in a few places. Word is they are running very low on gravel due to weather. Apparently it must be too wet to blast.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark - Waiting for some light so I can run the tiller for a few moments and plant some onions, peas and cauliflower.

45° with a high of 71° expected.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I slept in today.

42° and it's still dark. I hope we get the nice day they say we'll get, with rain in the afternoon. Then it turns cold like Pepper's weather. I cleaned up the iris and put borer control down. Earliest I've ever done that and I see there are a few iris affected already. Grrrrr.

Adina, I love your skies! That one is a perfect mood setter!

Ric, that's the biggest little church! Wow! Now, what kind of lizard is that?

Pepper, that is a vast improvement, and we know where you can get information on dynamiting your own gravel, LOL!

Dyson, I turned the dirt along the pea fence yesterday. It was almost perfect. I think I can get peas in today!! I debated on buying onions yesterday since I'm not sure how much room I have this spring.

Well, we get the Grandkids for two days, so I'll be a no show.

I'll lose about half of my garden space when the new driveway goes in :o(

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

That's a pretty neat church. It looks like there is a sunroom in front.

Sorry you're going to lose half your gardens but a new driveway will be nice.

35.3 °F with 47º for the high. Rain predicted for today.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 35 °F
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 28 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.14 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Tulips.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sunny, Bright currently 60° - started tilling (small electric tiller) went to the hardware store and got a garden rake because I could not find the one I had last year (as soon as I go back outside I will trip on it).

(Zone 7a)

That's how I find my gloves. I buy new ones and then find the old ones when I get home. LOL

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL Celia, that's how I usually find everything, especially batteries!

I bought more, even though I know I have a full container somewhere, so I can use my camera and post pics to catch up with everyone else LOL

Look at this weather!
66.9 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 18 °F
Wind: 7.2 mph from the WSW
Wind Gust: 7.2 mph
Pressure: 18.41 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds:
Few 4000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft
This Afternoon
Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight
Partly cloudy in the evening...becoming mostly cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the mid 40s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent after midnight. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

68° - Breaking virgin lawn with that little tiller is tough - but I am tougher.

Will start a thread w/pics a little later. Have not tripped over the rake yet (surprising) Maybe the "garden implement gnome" got it.

Enough break - back to it.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's what I did today:

I use my electric triller on my 4 raised beds...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Zone 7a)

Oooooo! Good job, Rusty!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yesterday, I use my new troy buit triller then I put old deck wood for walk on it (muddy puddles)...

Ju walk by new ground raised bed for tomatoes (I hope it)...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

We did hit 70° today. I have got enough tilled to plant the peas and maybe some onions. Hopefully I will get the cauliflower into the ground also tomorrow.

41° F
Feels Like: 31° F
Wind: From N at 21mph gusting to 30mph
next 6 hrs: A period of rain showers between 9pm and 10pm. Cloudy and windy. Temperatures falling into the upper 30s. Winds N at 20 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
High of low 60s today

Under Winter Weather Advisory til Sunday. Depending on who you listen too we could see up to 10 inches of snow or just around 4-8 inches. Depends on where the bulls eye ends up. All counties south of me under the winter storm warning.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Howdy friends!!! I am fed up with SNOW!! After a beautiful week of temps ion the high 60's we are in for a freeze!! I have been busy since Wed. pruning my roses & planting some seeds & bushes & am not in a flurry to get those I need covered done before noon tomorrow & we are going to get rain in the am!!! AAHHHH....
Dyson... I hope you are feeling better but I see you are working already so please don't over do it!
WELCOME to Ledgegardener.. I am sure you will enjoy it here. By the way folks I am not going anywhere... just outside on the nice days to do gardening!!!!! hahahahaha
MarylynTX are you due to get snow in Houston?? You folks are always different to us here anyway. All my daffodils have come & gone!!! They were early & I even had some bloom that never have since planting them 5 yrs ago!!!!
Crissyr.. I am starting a veggie garden this year only I have to do it from containers since I can't afford to build a raised garden this year. I am hoping it will be a success!!!
Darius.. I like your phrase "Life after snow"..I will hang on to that during the next two days!!!!!!! hahahaha
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all that I have missed.

I forgot to mention last night that my nephew should be at home by now. Last we heard they would release him on Wed if he managed to drink some fluids. Otherwise it was yesterday he would have gone home.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hope all is well Pepper.... I also hope that the flooding in your part of the country will soon be over with... I am keeping you all in my prayers!

The flooding is just beginning I'm afraid. We are still waiting on the spring thaw from up north and the spring rains haven't started yet. Des Moines, IA is gonna get the brunt of it. They raised their levies 8 feet but don't know if it's gonna be enough. My father lives right on the river and is moving important stuff out in case the levy breaks.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pepper it appears that Snow and Cold won't be making it this far east!
Looks like we might have a night or two near freezing but we can live w/ that.

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Whoo--I am behind--again!! I can't comment on everything but I do want to say welcome to Karen (ledgegardener)!

Well, I went plant shopping with 3 of my central Arkansas DG friends today and we all had a great time! Left Kim's(duckmother) house about 9:30 a.m. and didn't get back till about 6 p.m., if that tells you anything. We managed to visit 4 nurseries and squeezed in a late lunch at a Mexican restaurant, too! (You know we plant shoppers always have to include a meal with our shopping!) I spent twice as much on plants as I had allowed myself so it's peanut butter "sammiches" for the rest of the month for me! biggrin
I didn't take my camera, for once, but Kathy Ann (kathy_ann) and Charlotte (cperdue) took pictures so they will have to post them.
Whoo, I'm pooped! Plant shopping is hard work!!!

We had a beautiful day for our trip. It was in the 70's and sunshiney but tomorrow we will be colder with lows close to freezing tomorrow night with a 60% chance of rain. :o((

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

cindylove, no, no snow down here. We're going to have rain, and it's going to get down in the 30s for a couple of nights, but we'll be up in the 50s and 60s during the day, and back up to 70+ by Tuesday.

You all stay warm!! Or come visit us!! :-)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Celia, I've waited for the cement driveway as long as he has! Before we could afford rock in the early years, I used to mow it :o) Oohhh, baby tulips and no rabbit nibbles!

Dyson, LOL! Played hide and seek. Forgot to plant peas. I got lucky, the neighbor moved out of the rental next door and left two rakes and a shovel.
Chrissy, the ultimate ''get out and work in the yard " weather!

Rusty, what great dirt! It tilled up so nice and soft. The boards make a nice sidewalk!

(I know, I know, the term is soil. I like the word dirt!)

If it stayed 70° year round with a soft breeze and rain once a week. I'd be in heaven.

Pepper, we had a better day than you, but it isn't going to last. I'm so glad your nephew is ready to go home! The Cedar is rising here and the water is filling in the timber land. Still not too bad, and only trouble for those who live on the river.

Cindylove , I'm glad you're staying! You bring enthusiasm to the group!

Ric, so nice to be past the point of no return!

Marsue, the perfect day!! Friends are enablers when it comes to smoking and buying things :o)

Marylyn, how is the remodeling coming along?

It's 32° and snowing! I waited for the rain last night and never did hear it. We had a great afternoon yesterday, playing outside with the boys !

Crocus, they were a free gift from Michigan Bulb in 1981 :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

48° - Details for Saturday, March 20
Plentiful sunshine. Warm. High 74F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Partly cloudy skies. Low 49F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Good start for a day.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey, Dyson! How are you feeling these days?
BP: If it stayed about 75F with a gentle breeze and rain once a week, I would be in heaven! I like my temps just a little warmer than you do--LOL I have never smoked so I don't have to worry about that part. Buying plants is another story altogether, LOLOL! Pretty crocus!
Pepper: sure hope your nephew is home and doing better. I also hope your dad's place doesn't get flooded!
Rusty: nice job on those raised beds! Good luck with your tomatoes!

The cold front that was to come in today has been delayed by one day. It has been sunshiney here all morning till just now but clouds must be rolling in because the sun has disappeared. Rain for later today and colder weather tomorrow. Up into the 70's again by Wednesday. :o))

# Today: Mostly cloudy with showers likely this afternoon. Thunder is possible. High 68F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
# Tonight: Showers and thundershowers this evening will give way to steady rain overnight. Low 46F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall possibly over one inch.
# Tomorrow: Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. Cold. High 46F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Here's Friday chewing on his rawhide bone this morning.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2010 9:26 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I've enjoyed the recent sunshine, too... although these old bones can barely walk today! Got peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and spinach planted, and even some of the raspberry patch repaired.

I MUST remember "old-timers in the Appalachians know there are several named 'winters' following winter, with Blackberry Winter perhaps the best known. There is also Dogwood Winter, Locust Winter, Whippoorwill Winter, Redbud Winter and even Linsey-Woolsey Britches Winter."
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2410/

My nephew is home and doing great. They came by last night. He has his moments but is alot better.

My father's place is good for now. I talked to them last night and they think the current round of flooding is done.

Right now it's 29 degrees with several inches of snow on the ground. We're waiting on round 2 to come in this afternoon. I will be stuck driving in it since I have to work today. Sometimes I think they can predict the bad weather so they make sure I'm scheduled to work those days. LOL

(Zone 7a)

"Linsey-Woolsey Britches Winter" is my favorite! And it's fun to say! LOL

50º and sunny today. Yea!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It Spring today!

It snowing now... Raining this early am then ice now snowing...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Mau, seems you had such a great time with the DG friends! Cute Friday!
Sally, gorgeous crocus! I know you must be so thrilled to have your grandkids with you.
Celia cool drop!
I worked in the yard today, just sweeping the terraces and alleys, but I am pooped!
It was 72 today , sunny, but windy. I took off the caps from the plastic bottles which are covering the rose cuttings. Until it'll be 50F during the night, I won't be able to take off the bottles, just the caps during the day, then I put them on again for the night.
Aubrieta is blooming!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

"Linsey-Woolsey Britches" is my favorite, too! Love that water drop, Celia!
Adina, the Aubrieta is so pretty! Yard work is tiring, isn't it--but rewarding!

When I got home yesterday I noticed that my hyacinths, daffodils and muscari are all blooming. They hyacinths don't look so good--the last snow must have stunted their growth.
Here is a little daffodil called Intrigue:

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is a close-up of some blossoms on my flowering pear. I had cut off some of the lower branches and decided to take a photo of the blooms before they wilt.
I don't know why it is called a pear tree because this tree doesn't produce fruit and it has long thorns on the branches, too, which is why I keep the lower limbs trimmed. I have two of these trees and I keep them because they provide the only shade in the back yard except for what the neighbor's big oak tree provides.

My purple martins have returned--a sure sign of spring!! They might just be the scouts but I was excited when I saw them today!

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is my flowering plum which is in the front yard. It is about 8 feet high now.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

These are the grape hyacinths (muscari). I have about 10 bunches of these little plants but these are the only ones blooming--maybe the others will bloom in the next few days.

Thumbnail by marsue

Cold at 30 deg and snowing. We have around 7-8 inches so far and could see 10 inches by morning. By tomorrow night it's supposed to be rain.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, Pepper, I am so sorry about all the snow up your way! and also about the expected rain which could cause more flooding worries!! Please keep us posted about how things are going.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau sounds like a Callery pear.
They, and many pears but Bradford, do have thorns when immature.
Callery's are more an ornamental and get little tiny pears, like a crab gets little apples.

Glad to see the Spring Blooms!!!
We are about 2 weeks behind or so.
Most of my Alpinus pics have snow on them each year.
They are just budding now.

Had a GREAT time up at Dad's 91st Birthday.
Here's Richard!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Mau, love your blooms! The pear blossom seems like a pear's except for the red stamens. A friend gave me some muscari bulbs a few days ago and I buried them. Do you think they will bloom this year? Or just start growing?
Ric, Happy Bithday for your Dad! He looks great at 91! What was the cake? Seema so yummy! Thanks for the info about pears.
The weather is still warm and great, 72 again and not such a strong wind like yesterday. I'm cleaning up the lawn today.
I have hyacinths popping up.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

As yesterday you saw the picture before so here's now how deep!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.