TEA ROOM # 57

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Sorry I have been making you all walk so far. I was so busy reading all the posts that I forgot to move us . Can't have you all fainting from exhaustion.
It is very still and humid here this morning. We had a lot of thunder and lightning but not a drop of rain yesterday evening. There were quite a few small fires started by the lightning but all seem to be out now. The same forecast is for today and tomorrow so hubby is keeping close to his radio.
I had better go over and post the new sign before anyone gets lost in the woods.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

I found it jean

I received a nice invite from someone inviting me to go somewhere on yahoo but I am not a yahoo member, is that it?

Well just in case we get shunted off if anyone wants my email just d mail me.

I have been in a couple of forums that just went poof and there went lots of info and pictures.

I would hate it to happen again and even more would hate to lose touch.

Still awful humidity but the plants are going nuts, sad to say that means the triffid weeds as well.

I think I see buds on Fire Fighter Angel ...a bit of a worry because they are up sooo high ...hubby says its about 8ft so my guess of 10ft was a bit too much (That's what happens when you are short).There is some big critter munching away at the leaves, I see the big holes and the big doo doos on leaves below.I can't do anything about it so it's very frustrating. It triple Y'd.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Hi All
Lots of talk about daves new forum or whatever but surely Dave off sold this one, or did they do a hostile takeover,you never quite know on the internet?.

Just curious!

This message was edited Feb 9, 2010 8:28 PM

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. I am just back from visiting the new site . I can only be amazed at how it is going to grow and it is overwhelming at first. I suppose we would get used to it eventually. I want to keep all my friends I have made here so am not going to run off. I may start a similar venture there as I gain a bit of experience navigating such a large site.
I hope you will all have a look as there is such a lot of info there. Being supervised and helped by Dave and Trish is great too.
Let me know what you all think of it when you visit.
I know Leisa and those like her who understand a bit more of the computer programs will be excited.
Happy looking Jean.

had to edit this,sorry about the mistake , a granny moment.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2010 2:06 PM

Hmmmm ...I feel sad and happy.
Pushing myself away from the thingy now as I am now cross eyed.
Not sure how I feel about it yet, it's always difficult getting used to something different, kinda hard when your head is mush from pain killer stuff. Not taking any more of it though because I don't like a mushy brain.

It's like having your own blog thingy if you want it ...with visitors.
Interesting.

Merino, Australia

Chrissy. I feel a bit like you. I am going crosseyed. There is way too much to take in on that site. I like it the way we are here. All small and friendly. I think I'll stay registered on the other site so as to browse but I prefer it here.
From what I could understand on one visit, if I were to start a community thing there, I would be responsible for it's content and who came on. I gave up reading the rules halfway through, too much for me. I don't have the wish to be that involved and I don't wish to spend that much time on the computer.
It may be a personal thing but I am very wary of large sites when I don't have the expertise on computers.
If you all like , I will definitely stay here and keep our cosy Tea Room going. It's like talking over the back fence. Just hope the new owners here are obliging enough to let us go on as we have been.
It's so humid here but no rain. 37C but feels like 47.
Going to make a cuppa . Have some cool dessert. Lemon Sherbet
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

it's just like a sauna here too ...I feel the same as you but having been involved with two garden sites that went poof before, I thought I had better join.

For me it's about putting in a lot of time trying to teach people about brugs as you know, it would be awful if that just went west.

I was happy knowing it was all there in the threads and it's distressing to think it may not remain.
I suppose a lot of us have come a long way (with brugs) but I am thinking of new brug fans to come.
Gonna take a few deep breathes and try to settle down. ^_^

Brisbane, Australia

Well, the door's been closed and the blinds are down at the new site so I couldn't even peek in!

barmera, Australia

How did you get in Jean? Colleen

Merino, Australia

Colleen, I was lucky enough to be invited by a friend , but I'm sure there will be more open days for people to peruse. Now I am registered, I can start a community, but I am aware of the responsibilty of being liable for the content and people who come in. I don't like that aspect of things so will just be looking for quite a while as I learn my way around and see what goes on. It seems to me to be very complicated compared to here. There are so many rules on liabilities etc I will stay here as long as we are able to still keep our Aussie forums. It would be nice if the new owners of DG gave us a little more info regarding where we are going now.
Chrissy , maybe we could download the various threads onto discs so the info is not lost in the eventuality of somehting happening to DG.
I am willing to try the Brug forum if I can get a disc to hold the info. I don't know how much there is in byte thingys but I know there are discs that do hold a lot. I'll ask next week at my shop and see what I can get. Maybe others will do the same with the pertinent forums, broms, cordys etc. I only mean the particular plant forums as there is info on them that shouldn't be lost. I don't think we need to keep any of the chat ones on disc.
Better go and sit for a while now. Its so humid here and I have been peering at this screen for long enough.
A lot to take in and think on.
Jean.

Sydney, Australia

I'd sit still for a moment. The business was purchased? because it works. The new owners will surely keep things the way they are because it works. No point running around in circles until the air is clear. As long as this community is kept intact it does not really matter where it is? We will all learn to adapt.
I suppose an email address swap may be pertinent just incase!
Good to see sun today. First in two weeks! Not supposed to last much past tomorrow.
Have a good night all
Steve

Clifton Springs, Australia

Jean, you wrote your comments at 6.30 and said it was humid then, well it's almost 12 and it's still humid here.
That Lemon Sherbet will go down nicely, thank you...
I put my thoughts on the DG situation on the board in the previous coffee shop, so I thought I would take a walk to the new one.
Lovely and cool by the way.
I wouldn't have thought that the new owners of an obviously profitable business would do anything to alienate their members.
So I am sure that they will come out with a statement regarding changes if any, fairly soon....
Then if it's necessary, we can discuss what steps are to be taken.
Dianne

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Just an FYI this morning...one of your forum members let us know that there had been some questions and confusions over here regarding the recent sale of Dave's Garden. Please know that nothing is going to change in this forum - Melody and I are available at the helpdesk (just look for the "Contact us" link at the bottom of any page of the site) if you need help or have any questions ;o)

Thankyou for that Terry ^_^

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

You're very welcome - hope your summer is going well down there. Up here, we're shivering and praying for spring!

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Thank you for popping in Terry. It does get a bit disconcerting when changes are made to something we have been used to. We will adapt. I like it here and am not leaving unless someone throws me out the door. I will browse on the other site but I do like our "over the back fence "sort of conviviality.
Dianne, that humidity stayed most of the night, but believe it or not, this morning is thick fog.
It is lovely and cool though . We are still supposed to have more thunder and lightning in the evening. There were a lot of small lightning started fires but I hope we don't get any more.
I have been out watering the pot plants and enjoying the morning. I had a lovely surprise too. One of my night blooming epis has a bud. I have had these for ages and never seen a flower. This particular plant was a gift from a dear old lady before she died so will be a nice remembrance . I will be watching closely and will have to venture down the back at night to see it progress. I will be very careful as the large orb spiders like to build their webs near the plant
Steve, you are right about waiting to see how things go. I think we all were just a bit disturbed at having our quiet status quo interrupted.
I had better start moving and finish my outside jobs as , looking out the window, I can see the fog clearing.
Hello to everyone out there.
Leisa, Sue , Chrissy, Shelly, Kat, Brian, Colleen and Teresa. Plus all our new faces. I hope you all keep popping in for a cuppa.
I posted two new flower pics on the flowering in feb thread. I am after names.
Anthony, one may be a lily of some sort.
Better put out some goodies for later. I am off to do something productive outside.
Have a great day all
Caramelised Profiteroles with Cream. ( a special treat for everyone , Brian, there's lots of cream )
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Barmera, Australia

Thanks Jean,
This will have to be an early morning Lunch. Don't tell the Docs please.
Brian

Merino, Australia

Back again. I thought I'd put some greenery in here instead of on the flowering thread, as it's not really flowers. Here's my fern house looking into epi house. Chrissy, do you see what else has now made their way in to the shady place. ( angels)
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Around the other side , part of the epi jungle. I think I need some pythons and a macaw or two in here.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Oh jean you won't be able to walk in there soon ^_^

Looks great!

brian ...are you ok? have you been ill?

hi to anyone having a look

Gosh it's quiet in here.

Cooo eeee!!!! ^_^

Merino, Australia

Chrissy, everyone.....ITS RAINING !!!!!!!!!!
After a foggy start , it was nice and cool , then just as I was altering the zygo house, down came the rain. After lunch it was a bit heavier but I went out with my RAINCOAT on and finished the job. It is still raining and I hope it continiues. We are in no danger of flooding here but poor old Melbourne had a bit. It would have to rain for forty days and forty nights to even get halfway up the hill here.
Better go out and check all the pots are getting wet.
Lovely. Thank you whoever sent it.
Jean.

Yay good for you jean
Enjoy (shhhhh)no one is looking go run around in the rain.
Splash in the puddles.
We have to swim in ours *giggling*

Merino, Australia

Hubby said I should be out there with a bar of soap but that would really frighten the plants. I have been known to stand out in rain, washing the car , but not today.
We have had none of the Melbourne storms but a very welcome 60 points.
If I am not here tomorrow, send a boat.
Jean.

Gisborne, New Zealand

It was nice to be told that nothing is changing. I had only just paid next 12month sub. I was a bit concerned as I havn't even managed to sus this site out properly yet, computr wise that is...
The proffiteroles look yummy and a nice latte would go well with it..
Looks like you are full up in your in your newish epi house jean.. the better the conditions the bigger the plant, triffid proportions I mean..
I have 3 buds on the queen of the night, am well pleased about that the snails had done a lot of damage to the [lant and I thought it may be at the expense of any flowers..
My grandson has just been over and removed a huge hydranger bush for me yippee. Also cut back a hedgy thing as well so it has been a good evenings work done, all with a smile and it only cost me a big bottle of coke..
Chrissy you sound quite chipper so that has to be a good sign.. How did you get on with that large area that you were going to put your angels in I wasn't able to keep up with you on that one..
well its time to go for a wander see what is happening out and about.
Lesley

Thumbnail by Awchid
Sydney, Australia

Not to be outdone - just counted 14 on mine. I am sure they will all open when I'm not here on the weekend.
Have a good night all.
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman
Brisbane, Australia

Good morning all..it's Friday..Shelly will be excited! I am too!! Yippee! I will join you in a celebration..POETS day! (P... off early, tomorrow's Saturday) ..except no earlier departure for me.
I have moon cacti and epi species crawling around the garden at will and yesterday I went on a safari through the jungle and found heaps of spent blooms so I had better keep a closer eye on them. It is still hot and steamy here. The recent rain made the mosquitoes rev up and the cane toads have been busy calling for mates. Ever heard the sound of big drops of water hitting an empty plastic milk carton? All night!!! Very exciting, but evidently it turns the other cane toads on! Cane toads have no redeeming features as far as I can tell!!! Have a good day all and enjoy the rain, Jean!

This message was edited Feb 11, 2010 4:46 PM

This message was edited Feb 11, 2010 4:47 PM

This message was edited Feb 11, 2010 4:48 PM

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Lots of lovely rain yesterday , but it is having a rest at the moment. The plants are slurping so loudly I can hardly hear myself think.
Lesley, I've had my night blooming epis for quite a while and never had a flower. Some were in the epi lot I bought but the one with the bud was from a dear old lady. I have seen a lot of different types of flowers from ones like Steves pic to large spidery flowers. They all seemed to be lumped in as Queen of the Night even though different. What sort of leaves are on yours ? Steve, what are your leaves like also. Mine all have a very broad, wavy ,flat leaf but grow in different ways. Some like to climb up while others are happy to just hang around. They do grow quickly. I put one large basket in a tree where it hung beautifully, then all of a sudden decided to explore and sent out log thin shoots which are climbing up the tree. I'll never see any flowers way up there.
Chrissy, my angels are opening their flowers. Can't wait to see Musketeer. GHA is out and smells heavenly.
I finished the altering of the zygo house and it now awaits all the new tenants when I pot them up from their cutting pots. I am going to do a trim of some succulents and pot the bits to sell at the local Lions auction in april. Going out now to check on all the garden and the brom house.
Hello to everyone else. Brian, hope all is okay with you. Have a great day, Shelly, it's Friday...
Try these Lemon Bars.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

good morning everyone we have sun!

jean I have lots of buds on FFA ^_^

I can hardly wait for the next flush of brugs in general because it's like walking around in a heavenly garden.

Showstopper blooms and fragrances.

My climbing spinach is blooming, cute little blooms ... whoopee that means seeds! It is very attractive in it's own right with it's wonderful lush green leaves.

brian my "Queen of Herbs" has turned triffid!
you were right, both yours and mya's look identical to each other now I think I had mya's in too much sun before.
Have yours bloomed yet? the blooms are said to be very attractive ...like the purple sage. I can hardly wait.

shell and kat yes it is Friday again ...all so very fast though isn't it?
kat how about a poem?
to everyone out there ...I hope it's a great day for you all.
Here comes the weekend!

Sydney, Australia

My leaves same Jean. I have four mature plants all from the same stock. One is potted and ready for Sussex.
They have an arching habit and it does not take them long to peek over the fence. Really like them but need vigilance or
you miss the flowers. Going to pot up a few more this year.
Have a good day
Steve

Merino, Australia

Steve, the odd thing with my night bloomer that is running up the tree is that even though all the hanging branches ( leaves ) were the flat wide sort, the new long climbers are exactly like the normal day bloomers. thinner, scalloped and duller green. Not at all like the same plant. The other night bloomers send up long pencil thin straight shoots from which eventually come the flat type hanging leaves. Very odd. I have an offspring of the climbing one but it doesn't show any urge to climb at all.. Maybe it's an age thing.
I am still watching that bud. I just have to remember to go down at night so I don't miss the flower.
Very humid still here after the rain. No sign of any more rain yet but it may come in the evening.
Kat, is your moon cactus one of the night bloomers mentioned ?
Lots of mossies here too. Luckily they don't like me but hubby gets attacked.
Better go and get lunch started. I have been messing around outside and sometimes lose track of time.
Happy day.
Jean.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Durn, i think I must have got lost. I missed you all. DH and I went to get a couple large bales of hay for the longears. They are worse than dogs being in the way when trying to get the hay into the pasture. Well .guess wh walked out the gate. Thank Goodness it wasn't all of them. Charley walked out and started munching grass. I calmly went adn got a bucket of feed and tred to bribe him back in. I got him close to the walk-in gate and DH got me rope I leave out for just since a thing. He walked in like the Gentlemule he is. I am so proud of my mule. Whew!!!! I sure was scared he'd run, but he didn't.
Do the nightbloomers smell good, Jean.
Have some beautiful deserts and love your room up there.
Charleen

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

friday!!!!!!!!!no work,slept in til 6.30.made 2 water lily tank cover frames out of 6mm steel rod for my plant knowledgable friend'scott'.he drapes a net over to stop the birds taking the goldfish.he has a massive collection of water lilies,and i think he was very happy with the frames end result.been out in the garden checking seed pod progress[very happy],some 'odd' crosses.just about got the wood away,and yes,we had a little rain too! JEAN,I showed scott your belladonna pic,he seconded it,and was surprised at the colour[reckons youre on a winner]-what a lazy ol day,i can hear the chilled 4xxxx cans calling me to the garage,but not for a while yet.dianne,'crickets on'-wont be a reply til 6pm.charleen,why would charley run[a bed n 3 meals],hes got it made.

Sydney, Australia

A pic would be good Jean. I was sure I had seen pictures of them climbing when I was researching info. How old is the plant?
I'm with you Anthony on the beer thing. Cricket is on in the lunchroom, everyone has gone home, air conditioning is struggling with the humidity. An hour to go! Thunder and rain now! There goes mowing again this weekend. (shame really - I was so looking forward to it!)

Brisbane, Australia

Ohh Jean, I've been slow to catch up, but thanks so much for moving us near that nice cool waterfall. It's soo sticky here in Bris - I can cool off here when I need to :-)
I'm looking forward to cooler weather so much! And your green house shots are great - you seem to have a wonderful variety of plants.
Lesley, those flowers are so pretty - just perfect!!
I've just changed over to use Google Chrome rather than Explorer as my internet browser & now it shows me red lines under all my spelling mistakes in my post! I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing ;-p
I sounds like there really won't be much change re DG - I'd be upset if our Aussie forums got disrupted!
Happy gardening all!
Leisa.

townsville, Australia

Good afternoon all, Kat i'm with you Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The weeks go by so fast, but I am still always so happy when Friday gets here.
I am look out of the window to blue skies for a change, but the yard is a swimming pool so no mowing for me this weekend either, darn!!!! But the biggest pain is now I will have to do housework yuk!
I have been flat out this week so not much time to pop in for a cuppa, hopefully next week will be better.
Brian I hope your illness is not serious, I have everything crossed for a speedy recovery.
Chrissy you sound like you are getting a little better how is the ankle going.
Jean I love you green house I would be hard pressed to leave once i got in there.
Charleen, Anthony is right your babies would not run out into a world with no spoiling involved. They know when they are on a good thing.
My son was in heaven on Tuesday, he went to the cricket in Adelaide, A friend of mine scored him some players guest tickets and he got to chat to Mitchell after the game, it was a shame the cricket was not better, but he did not care lol.
Jean profiteroles are one of my all time favourites, but alas I am way to late for any sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to go only 50mins to go to knock off time, but who is counting lol. Only 5 WEEKS to go till my 2 weeks off Yahoooooooooooo.
Smile and stay safe all
Shell

barmera, Australia

Hello everyone. I have been quite busy all week. Have had to water Brian's brugs and keep an eye on his cactus. He doesn't know when he'll be back but I'll keep you posted when I can. I have taken a few pics from around the garden so will slowly put them up for you to see. It has been so hot here but to day has been quite lovely. I have a wonderful pic of the sky the other night. We got a little rain from it but not much. It just looked threatening. Sounds as though you are on the mend Chrissy. Great to see you popping in regularly Lesley and yes we haven't seen Marlenanne for some time. You'd better pop in Marlenanne and let us know if you're okay. Hope everyone else is okay. I'll pop back in when I can. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Merino, Australia

Good morning all. A fine , cool morning here. yesterday was a lovely day with sun and a light breeze. Sadly no more rain as yet . But lovely weather to be out in the garden. I did a bit more on my zygo house as I had to adda bracing beam so I can add more shelves soon. Today I am going to plant out all my chrysanthemum cuttings now they are showing roots at the bottom of theitr tubes.
They are going in a long row at the end of the iris area. Later I will be adding the roses along the ends of all the iris beds. The roses will get more water and also be right out in the open , so hopefully I will get some lovely shows of flowers. Their existing garden will be filled with grasses . There are already a lot of different bulbs there so should look good and require no water.
I am still running down at night to see if my epi has flowered. I don't know about getting a photo as I have not taken any night photos as yet with my camers. I can't find anything in the instruction book to tell me how. I see lots on apertures and speeds but its all a mystery to me.
Steve, I will get out and take a photo of the climbing epi and one of the hanging one so you can see the difference.
Hello Colleen, I like your dark clouds, we had them too but all emptied themselves elsewhere. Keep us posted on Brian.
Shelly, I bet you have large red marks on the calendar, counting down to your time off.
Leisa, I like the sound of the new browser but if it underlined my spelling mistakes, I'd be here all day fixing them.
We used to use Firefox, which I like a lot , but the later version doesn't like our virus thingy, Trend micro.
We were getting thrown out of some sites , often right in the middle of something like a post on here.
We had to go back to Explorer.
I would try Chrome but if it doesn't work well on govt. sites, it would be no good here as hubby has to use some govt, sites for his radio stuff for CFA.
Anthony, I have another similar lily which is just plain white. I have no idea where I got it form. I am going to make a small patch of them along with the usual Belladonnas. Most of my Belladonnas were from a very very old garden on a farm near here. They are nearly all white with a pink edge. Very pretty. I'll get a photo also of those to show you.
Hello Charleen. Your Charlie knows where he is well off. No mule is going to walk away from such a good home. Lucky it was only him and not the others too.
The sun has com eout now so I am off to do lots outside.
Much too nice to be in here.
Hello to everyone, Kat, Chrissy, Sue, Lesley and all others lurking around.
Here something nice for you all. Strawberry Charlotte.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Well, hello all. Its been sunny for two days now, so I mowed the lawn for hubby yesterday while he was running errands. Now he won't talk to me? Go figure?
I've zapped all the newly emerging weeds in the driveways with a bit of Glyphosate and watered the pots and seedlings as its already rather warm here!
I don't know what I'm going to do for the rest of the day, and it really is uncomfortable around here with hubby being in such a foul mood! Maybe I'll go shopping! That'll teach him!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Rocky, Brian and Chrissy and thanks for the yummies Jean, as always! Its never too early for cake! he he.
Sue

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. Nice and cool here this morning but feels as though it will warm later. Have just been for a walk around the garden and shadehouse. I have a lovely brom flowering. Will put a pic up later. Have some really pretty cacti flowering as well. I didn't deadhead the roses so that they wouldn't shoot again but they did it all by themselves and some are flowering again after that lovely lot of rain that we had. The brugs think they are in heaven with all this humidity and are growing like wildfire. No buds though. Hi Sue. Why would your hubby be cross with you for mowing the lawn? Is it a man thing? I'd go nursery shopping, that'll fix him.lol. Hope all are feeling well this morning. I have some friends coming for morning tea so had better go and prepare something. be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Merino, Australia

Go for it Sue, take his credit card and buy lots of broms.
After you doing the lawn, one would think he'd buy you a gift.
Men !!!!!!
Steve , if you are there, here is a pic of the tree climbing night blooming epi. You can see the difference in the shape and color of the branches.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.