Morning Glories 2010 #01

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Debra, Those are lovely
Joseph, your pics were already the best. A gorgeous
subject you had to work with.
Becky if you're still hobbling by tonight, you probably do need another day to
rest your ankle.
All of our ice finally melted and the temp today should be above
freezing, first time since Wed. Lows tonight a warm 20 degrees.
The high's in the 40's by tomorrow and 50's later in the week. Reason to celebrate. I don't drink so maybe a new plant. lol
I hope my sds will produce a mutant of this one. From Quaint Charm

Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh Jackie that is awsome! What is its' name is it called Quaint Charm? Can you tell me if this is the red version of that one? I am hoping someone can tell me the name of it.. I like the blue colour in yours.. I am partial to deep blues..
warming up to 30s today, actually feels like summer compared to what we have been dealing with.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, I think that is from Sarah, Quaint charm. My sd
produced the real no Murasaki,not the mutant like Becky grew,
her diluted fuji. I'm hoping my sds carry the gene to make the mutant. Here's the link to Sarah's beauty.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/899272

This message was edited Jan 10, 2010 3:20 PM

This message was edited Jan 10, 2010 3:21 PM

Thanks so much! I enjoyed the thread alot. I hope to get some more of those red ones , I can't remember if I saved seeds or not, hoping some "fell" into the container.

Debra, forgot to tell you your red is a beauty, whatever it is.
What I was trying to say in my post above is that I'm not even sure
if the pic I sent is Murasaki, lol I tried to attach names to the
individual pics this summer, knowing I would forget names
and the name showed up on every pic in that file, so I gave up.
Dad Burn puter, I hate it. lol

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra - Nice deep pink fuji! :-)

Jackie - Thanks for posting that link of Sarah's. I forgot how beautiful her garden is! I'm missing Spring and Summer already. :-)

Winter seems to be a bit gloomy. Everything here is brown and dead. Everything!

Except of course the Brazilian Pepper Trees. They are covered with berries (seeds)! Ugh! and the Robins were back as they come every year. They eat those berries which makes them thirsty and drunk. They were all over my yard today and lined up to drink from my small backyard waterfall. I went out there later, and there was pooped berries all over it! LOL!

I'm going to hobble outside now to get the hummer feeders and bring them in so the sugar water doesn't freeze. I'll put them back out in the morning. :-)

Is that what that is? pink Fugi? Really! YAY! LOL I do have seeds of that.. somewhere.. just finished doing a fast inventory of my mg seeds and got all frustrated because I still have three huge bags of vines covered with pods to de-seed ugh.. from this location is one bag..

Thumbnail by joeswife

and this corner..

Thumbnail by joeswife

and still a bag full of the patio vines.. and a bag full of the shibouris from bluespiral.. and I found a small bag of the lav beauties from Liz, and a huge bag of these.. I did have a good time with the summer memories, I just wish I had gotten the lav beauties, shibouris and rebeccas in the swap in time.. there are prolly alot of the rebeccas and jaimie lynns in the I. Purp mix, hopefully some of the shibouris made it to that mix as well..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Great pics Debra. Love all of those.
Is that an Abelmoschus in the middle pic, white with a colored eye?

A bloom from tiny Plum Delight, left in a 3 in pot.

Thumbnail by patootie

One more ochracea

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Nice blooms Jackie!!

Debra - Your photos sure remind me of Spring! That is a beautiful shot of your Hanafubuki! Another nice vine with variegated leaves! :-)

Jackie - You yellow blooms are so cheerful and sunny and happy! :-) Love the Plum Delight mixed in there! Nice contrast! Everything is BROWN here! LOL! Are you growing them inside?

I planted some seeds and one that I planted is one of Dany's and it sprouted yesterday. And then of course the Sun Spots will be orange blooms and should be small vines. Will definitely take photos to share when they bloom. :-)

Thanks Helena.
Debra, Lovely hanafubuki.
Thanks Becky, Yes all of mine are in the ghouse for winter.
Can't wait to see the Sun Spots bloom.

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

I think I will try this 'Scarlett O'Hara' (Ipomoea nil)

http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/1017

"Giant Wine-Red Blooms on Vigorous, Fast-Growing Vines!
4 inches across and held wide-open, Scarlet O'Hara is a stunner!
The most magnificent red Morning Glory we have ever had the delight to grow, and one that always draws gasps and stares from visitors to the trial gardens! Scarlet O'Hara's blooms are a full 4 inches across, deeply colored and with a velvety texture that adds depth to their rich display. They arise in abundance in summer and fall, opening in the morning and tightly closed again by late afternoon. This vine is particularly vigorous and fast-growing--it's the one you want to quickly cover that ugly chain-link fence, show off to the neighbors on the mailbox, or climb the patio trellis.
Morning Glory is a breeze to direct-sow, but if you want even earlier blooms, start the seeds ahead indoors. It can tolerate a bit of shade--though blazing sun is its preference--and is especially useful in dry soils, where other plants have not been content. Drought-tolerant and ultra-easy, it climbs to about 6 feet. Pkt is 30 seeds. $0.95 "

My goal is to grow the all-red version

picture from Burpee

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

I had a volunteer SOH this year that was a beauty, vivid red, almost all the way down the tube. Maybe if I keep growing it I can select to get all red flower form. I bought mine originally at the hardware store - Livingston I think was the name of the company. That photograph you posted seems to be the one many of the ebay sellers use to sell their SOH seeds. Interesting.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

My Burpee catalog states their SOH as:
"Large and velvety pure crimson-red 41/2'' flowers. Very dramatic, with saturated color right to the center" I live about 25 minutes from the outlet center, I'm going to pick up a few packs if they have any in February when they open. It says 50 seeds...I'll be more than happy to get them and share and see who gets a solid. I'll do a separate post if I can get them.

I wonder who their growers are?

Ronnie - I would definitely be interested! :-)

I would love to see a solid throated SOH some day.

szarvas, Hungary

In Japan they have this cultivar seems to be a real SOH:

Thumbnail by dany12

When I went to Japan last year I was able to obtain seeds of what appeared to be SOH. I will try a vine of it to see what flower type is produced.

Melbourne, FL

Some of my spring glories under the grow light.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

awwww I just Love babies.. esp mg babies!

Teresa - Your baby MGs look darn good! :-)

Melbourne, FL

I need to work on my MG fence next week. Won't be long before I can get them planted outside.

Melbourne, FL

Most of the plants visible here are Morning Glories.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

I sure hope this cold wave we have here doesn't come your way there.. ugh!

Thumbnail by joeswife
szarvas, Hungary

New cultivar in the Tricolor family ?

Glacier Moon

http://www.hortmag.com/article/Fine/

Melbourne, FL

I transplanted my first two out into the garden, only because they were growing too tall under the grow light. I got my trellis work done a few days ago.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

The rest of them are still under the grow light.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Gautier, MS

They look pretty good Theresa. I'm growing about 8 under lights and it's a miracle that I've managed to keep them separated, just have to keep winding them on their own bamboo stick.

Melbourne, FL

I noticed when I was putting up the trellis a few days ago, I have a lot of volunteers coming up in the garden, also.

Gautier, MS

Neat, it's too cold here for that but by end of March I know I'll be seeing them popping up all over the place. I hate to pull them up, but I'll probably have to.

Melbourne, FL

I'll probably keep pulling up mine too, since I want the new ones to have the trellis to grow on.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

yeah! I started one of my MG in a cup already. As soon as it's warm, I'm going to plant it!

I got another bloom on the shibouri downstairs, this one was more purple and white, and the vines upstairs are budding agin, the little blue ones. You guys are so lucky to have warm weather already.

Melbourne, FL

Have to put off planting mine out, going into the thirties again this week. Here they are in the kitchen. I did have them out in the sun for a while today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Awwww ... look at those sweet baby vines! ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.