Morning Glories 2010 #01

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh those are beautiful!

Dany, have you been able to find photos of Glacier Moon?

Melbourne, FL

Another whole week coming of lows in the thirties and forties. I may never get these babies planted outside. I had them on the porch yesterday and did not realize how cold it was getting. They looked awful when I brought them in, but perked back up after a few hours. That's the second time that has happened to these. I'm a bad mommy!

Thumbnail by gardenpom
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

gardenpom,
isn't this driving you crazy with the weather ! mine are going to need to be planted soon too and we keep getting this %^&$! crazy weather. I may end up potting them into big containers and putting in the greenhouse,(which is already crammed full) then planting out. I had to do that with some last year and they did fine, I just dug a bigger hole and carefully removed the whole contents of the big container.
Here's some of my babies....

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Melbourne, FL

Now they are saying possible freeze here again tomorrow night. I have Zinnia, Cosmo and Morning Glory volunteers coming up in the garden...they think it's spring! This has been the ugliest winter I can remember.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

here's another view, also Passionflowers, Pipevines and Drega sinensis(Hardy Hoya Milkweed vine)
Salvia's below and to the other side.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Pom, wishing your volunteers strength to suvive the cold!!

Walmart (Wally's World?) has seeds that have a picture of a SOLID (no white or yellow) Pink MG. What is the likey-hood of such a bloom? About the same as a True Scarlett O' Hara?

mjsponies, what nice seedlings! So cute!! lol.

~Daniel

(open pic to see details! lol.)

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Melbourne, FL

One more night with possible frost....if the seedlings get thru this, the worst is over and spring-like temps will arrive this weekend. Here is a beauty I started, I believe this is one of Beckys'.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

gardenpom - I know that our last frost date is the end of February, but I am going to wait until later in March to believe it! LOL!

Cute new baby MG sprout! :-)

Melbourne, FL

The way this winter is going, I guess we won't feel safe till April! Just to have nice temps back will be such a relief. I am seeing new growth on several shrubs that were killed back. I have Patio tomatoes already with tomatoes on them. I had my seedlings out in the sun for a few hours today, but lately they have spent most of their time in the kitchen.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

ugh! snowed today and temp stayed in high 20's all day. Windy, horrible day. hate it and so over all the rain and flooding too. I hope my peonies are going to be OK. They don't like it wet.

I've been moving my few potted plants in and out of my garage. I move them in when it is cold and let them stay out when the temps are warmer. So much work! But I don't want the frost to kill them. I also have tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, watermelon, sweet peppers, and cantalope growing along with 2 MG vines! LOL! They are all growing on my window shelf. They need to be potted up into much larger containers! LOL! I want to move them to the self-watering containers, but haven't got everything yet to get them ready for transplanting.

Edited to add: My Crimson watermelon has a baby watermelon growing on it! hee, hee! I might have a full grown watermelon by Spring! LOL!

This message was edited Feb 16, 2010 10:12 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Those look good Becky. Very healthy

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Love it, it makes me happy to see happy plants;)

Well ... here are my first blooms of 2010.

First one is Sunspots. Sweet little vine.

Second one is one of Dany's blues. I am not sure of the name.

And the first small bloom on my Yellow Chinese Evening Glory! This vine is full of buds!

Pretty bloom Becky, I like it and definitely worth the wait.
Not the same bloom as Dany's pic, at least I don't think so, which is also a pretty bloom.

I believe that the Yellow Chinese Evening Glory that is similar or the same as mine, is this one: http://natureproducts.net/Forest_Products/Convolvulaceae/evening_glory.html

It looks just like this one! It is a Chinese native MG.

Thanks, Jackie! :-)

This message was edited Feb 19, 2010 1:44 PM

Becky. thanks for sending that link to natureproducts.net. Your bloom
does indeed look like their bloom. Love the darker yellow bars

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra, your MG vines are loving you back.

Dear Becky, the chinese nature products site said, please note that we can not ship to the USA.

I have to agree with you, John! ... I think Debra's plants know how much she cares for and loves them! They always look wonderful!

Also, the Nature Products site "used" to sell seeds years ago from what I have been told from several folks. The person I got the seeds from said that she found a source and sold what she was able to get her hands on. So whether or not it is one and the same vine, I don't know. But the blooms do look very similar. There is a difference though ... my leaves are not narrow leaves as stated on that web link. Though they could be narrower when grown in native conditions, but grow larger when grown in optimum conditions with good soil, water, sun, and fertilizer. So ...

Becky, whatever it is, its lovely. I am so partial to the yellow
blooming glories.

Head over this way

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1077121

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.