Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Morning Glories: Morning Glories 2010 #01, 1 by ApopkaJohn

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ApopkaJohn

In reply to: Morning Glories 2010 #01

Forum: Morning Glories

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Morning Glories 2010 #01
ApopkaJohn wrote:
I think I will try this 'Scarlett O'Hara' (Ipomoea nil)

http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/1017

"Giant Wine-Red Blooms on Vigorous, Fast-Growing Vines!
4 inches across and held wide-open, Scarlet O'Hara is a stunner!
The most magnificent red Morning Glory we have ever had the delight to grow, and one that always draws gasps and stares from visitors to the trial gardens! Scarlet O'Hara's blooms are a full 4 inches across, deeply colored and with a velvety texture that adds depth to their rich display. They arise in abundance in summer and fall, opening in the morning and tightly closed again by late afternoon. This vine is particularly vigorous and fast-growing--it's the one you want to quickly cover that ugly chain-link fence, show off to the neighbors on the mailbox, or climb the patio trellis.
Morning Glory is a breeze to direct-sow, but if you want even earlier blooms, start the seeds ahead indoors. It can tolerate a bit of shade--though blazing sun is its preference--and is especially useful in dry soils, where other plants have not been content. Drought-tolerant and ultra-easy, it climbs to about 6 feet. Pkt is 30 seeds. $0.95 "

My goal is to grow the all-red version

picture from Burpee