Morning Glories 2009 #22

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

My 'Margarita' I. batatas is still growing like crazy even being cramped in a small pot.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

And last is a photo of 'Tricolor' I. batatas showing that beautiful dark pink color on the tips of the leaves. Love it! Thanks again, Debra!

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous blooms Becky.

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Dear Becky, your feast of flowers reminded me of:

Origin of the Name Florida - Florida was first seen by the Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon on Palm Sunday on April 2, 1513 - he then named the "Pascua de Florida," meaning "Feast of Flowers" and claimed it for Spain
State Nickname - "The Sunshine State"
State Motto - "In God we trust."

Gautier, MS

Nice blooms Becky, do you get seeds from your pretty powder puff plants?

Thanks you Jackie, John, and Helena!

John - I knew the state info, but didn't know that Ponce de Leon named it "Feast of Flowers". I am sure Florida in it's natural state was stunning. I can just imagine ... (sigh)

Helena - I have collected seed pods from my Powder Puff bush 2 years in a row and the seeds are not viable. Small and rather shriveled. My garden soil is not the best and that probably stunts seed production ... even with fertilizing the bush regularly. Florida soil is sand and clay with lots and lots of heat and sunlight. Hence the "Sunshine State". LOL! (That is on my car license plate. :-) ) If I ever get seeds, I'll be glad to share some with you. That bush is about 4 years old and looks like one planted within a year. The growth is really stunted. Plants have to be tough to survive in my yard.

Pink Frost. Pretty color in the green house. This one didn't
make a single seed.

Thumbnail by patootie
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Dear Pat,
Nice deep pink color.
Nice impatients also.

How to focus an automatic camera:
for macro mode if you have one like my fuji finepix. It has a menu for macro mode that I push buttons to turn on, and it goes as close as 2" from the lense.
Hold you hand out flat, even with the subject matter,
depress the shutter button slightly, and it should set the light meter and focus. Mine has a little yellow box that lights up. Then without letting go of the button, move over to the subject, stop and click.
If I'm not careful with my automatic camera it will focus on the background instead of the subject and give me something blurry. Good Luck.

Because of recent rainfall, some of the volunteer seeds think spring is already here.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

MG Seed packets from home depot:
Grandpa Ott (velvety blooms) origin Holland
Celestial Mix (stiking color blend) origin England
Tall Mix (eary blooming mix) origin USA

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

John, sometimes I can get it right and sometimes I just can't.
Just too old and tired to worry about it. lol

Thumbnail by patootie
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

http://www.georgiavines.com/Seeds/morningseeds.html

good pics of many varieties

Lori Rubel’s Georgia Vines

says she has scarlet ohara ;--)

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I've been so busy with other things, I thought I'd catch up on some of the MG pics.
Here's one of Shiro murasaki x Shibori kongo I got a few seeds in a trade. I planted them a little late, and then couldn't figure out where to put them as I was running out of room, so I put them at the base of my Calico Pipevine. Well, they grew up the top and over the pipevine.
These were both off the same plant. I know there can be lots of variation but is this normal for these ?
I've kept seeds
mj

Thumbnail by mjsponies
East Bridgewater, MA

They're pretty, whatever they are!

mjsponies - Those are typical blooms for the Japanese Purple Flaked I. purpurea. They look awesome! That is my very favorite I. purpurea vine! I've grown one 2 years in a row ever since I first received seeds in a trade. :-)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I wonder if the pic of S O H is from a plant she grew? I contacted them asking if the photo truly depicts the flower.

becky,
Are Purple Flaked and Shiro murasaki x Shibori kongo the same thing?? I got seeds named Purple flaked from you and the Shiro murasaki x Shibori kongo from someone else. On the seeds I got from you I didn't get the lighter colored flower on the right of my photo above.
Ok...now I'm realllllllllyyyyyy confused.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

mj i am anxious to hear the answer as I too had some named Purple Flaked and Shiro murasaki x Shibori kongo ,
they looked the same to me when grown out..
Ronnie, I have ordered SOH from 8 companies in the past three years with the same picture practically.. and had some from DGrs as well, and have yet to have a true solid tubed SOH.. I am still waiting for one.. here is hoping anyway.

Well, I hope someone clears this up, I have a hard enough time keepin up with what is blooming at any one time, much less a specific hybrid. I do alot with Salvia's but I do NO hand pollination. All are open pollinated. So you never know what you will get.
I sell some of my seeds on Ebay, but I don't like to sell seeds that I have not done grow outs or germination tests on., Having a very Small private nursery, and particularly unusual Butterfly and Hummingbird plants, I just wait and see what works for my "area", I hate to say zone, cause that could be California, (NEEDS, dryer conditions, vs, zone 9 in Florida WHICH, could mean the same temps, but our humidity is higher, meaning JMG don't seem to like Higher humidity,l'll be looking forward to these seeds to grow out and see what happens. My feeling on these is that the Jmg has soooooooooooooooooo many hybrids that you could get just about anything from them. Please, it you have anymore insight into these MG's please let me know.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 8:12 AM

Here is my take on the I. purpureas I call "Purple Flaked" ...

This cultivar was created in Japan. They were also called "Aomurasakizyouhantensibori". But I have seen many names for them. What they are is actually just a Blue/Purple Flaked patterned I. purpurea. So rather than argue with folks about the different cultivar names ... Blue/Purple Flaked is a name that actually describes what they are.

See Yoneda's website:

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/PCD2521/htmls/14.html

Also ...

I believe the true solid red/dark pink throat on the Scarlett O'Hara cultivar is rare. I, too, would love to have some seeds from that one, but have only had white throats on those that I grew out. :-( Still pretty in their own right, but not what I was hoping for! Someone here will eventually get the solid ones and will hopefully share with everyone! Y'all know I will if I get my hands on some seeds to grow out! :-)

well I can assure you that to my knowledge, none of the SOH that may or may not be given to anyone from me are not a solid red throated trumpet. So, if u see a SOH on anything from me, it is going to look like the picture I posted on an earlier thread. If I were to sell those kinds menitoned above, which I even have two commercial packs that say Aomurasakizyouhantensibori on them.. to me , they all looked the same, with no two blooms alike, some red and some blue and most of them were flaked, speckled or blocked..

My SOH

Thumbnail by joeswife

I meant to say, that the Ebay name of these seeds would be "A Purple /White I. Purpurea, with some specks, flecks, blocks and stripes. A few swirls upon surprize, with a delicate cheerful uplifting spirit. " I love them.

Thumbnail by joeswife

And this one... It is called Liz' Lavender Beauty...

Thumbnail by joeswife

I didn't get any seeds from this one, so I hope to get some more...
Blue silk, or silkyBlue.. you pick ... both names grew out the same flower..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Aomurasakizyouhantensibori

Translation:

Aomur = We Love
asa = Camera Photos
kiz = Because
you = You
hantin = Hunting
si = Seeing
bori = Boring

We love pictures because hunting without seeing is boring.

The Fairy Princess says,
Yes seeing pictures is not boring.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

To thread #23

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1063333

This message was edited Dec 16, 2009 1:19 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.