Morning Glories 2009 #22

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Helena - This one: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7334413 looks like it is Ipomoea cordatotriloba
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53063/

I can't really tell what the blue one is. Any leaf photos? Size of bloom?

Gautier, MS

Those are 2 different vines. The 2nd did resemble cordatotriloba to me too Becky.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

This is another picture of a blue one, not sure if it's the same vine though.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

She asked me if this one was Moon flower alba but I can't tell.

Edit to say I misunderstood her, it's a white mg that needs ID.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2009 6:21 PM

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Melbourne, FL

Becky, awesome blooms. Now you have to work on developing MG blooms that actually have your name in them! :) Here are a couple macros from this morning. I love all the colors showing in this bloom to be.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Inner workings of an MG.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Helena - It's often hard to tell what cultivar an MG is from a photo. I grew 2 white blooming NOID I. nil vines this past season. They will probably never have an ID. I just labeled them NOID. But they were beautiful even without a name. :-) Sometimes we just have to enjoy them without really knowing what exactly they are. :-) With so many crosses/hybrids, who knows what some of them are! LOL!

gardenpom - Thanks! I love your macro close-ups. That is one feature I wished I had on my camera. I can't take photos anywhere near what your camera does! Very beautiful photos! Your perspective is always a joy to see! :-)

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous white bloom Helena.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

gardenpom, WOW on the macros!

Melbourne, FL

Thanks. Here's a collage of the days' blooms.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

gardenpom - Love all your blooms! Your Flying Saucer cross is so cooool! Is it a large bloom or a smaller bloom? It has a neat shape to the bloom, too! I hope you get seeds for that one! I'd sure love to trade you for some! :-)

Melbourne, FL

If I get seeds, I'll be sure to save some for you Becky.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

garden, as always your photos of your blooms are awesome. I love the way you capture them.

East Bridgewater, MA

Great photos, folks!

(It snowed here last night, and the lovely MG images make winter easier to bear.)

Totally!

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Winter Weather?
in Orlando... Ahhhh!

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Melbourne, FL

A few from this morning, still a little dark out, so flash was used.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

2-

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

3-

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

4-

Thumbnail by gardenpom

gardenpom - Oh! My heart be still ... love that Blue Star cross! Just beautiful!!!! Fingers crossed that you get seeds!!!!

szarvas, Hungary

It is true they are very strange these mixed flowers .I thought it was a variant of Flying Saucers like this photo - dark variant of FS.
Can we know more about the origin of these seeds? commercial or produced at home?
Gardenpom,the plant produces it all kinds of flowers?

Thumbnail by dany12

Dany - The bloom in your photo is VERY attractive!! What is it? Blue Star or Heavenly Blue?

szarvas, Hungary

Dark version of Flying Saucers.

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Harvest time for
Moon Flower seed.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Lots of vine dry seed
to plant next year for
White Moon Flowers

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

100' Naked Fence = Blank Canvas
Waiting for Next year's MG vines !

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

heh! I hear ya John, I just finished cleaning the lavender moon vine pods for the mg swap.. my fences are all bare and ready for next summer ..

Dany - Love that darker version of Flying Saucers! I didn't even know there was dark and light versions of that cultivar/species. Awesome!

John - Nothing more fun than a blank garden canvas! And you have a lot of area along that fence. It's going to look great! And it looks like you had a very successful growing season for your Moonflowers! I just love that species of MG! The smell is divine! :-)

Debra - I call it shucking and shelling when I collect my MG seeds and get them ready for swapping! LOL!

East Bridgewater, MA

ApopkaJohn,

Can't wait to see next smmer's photos!

I wonder if folks with that kind of long stretch to fill use a planned-out color scheme, or just "wing it"?

Melbourne, FL

John, wish I had all that space for Morning Glories. I see all that empty garden space...are you starting to work on the area?

Melbourne, FL

From yesterday. A lot of the blooms I have now are from seeds given to me by EmmaGrace.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Another macro shot.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

No plans yet for the bare 6' fence

130 feet are in morning shade til 2PM
100 feet get sun almost all day
50 x 50 of bare sandy soil on a vacant lot

I have 100s of the heavenly blue and moonflower seed from this summer.
Shelf life is probably 1 or 2 years on that seed.
Please D-mail me with your ideas,
or if you have junk seed to trade,
or if you want something propogated.

Pic shows bare ground and part of bare fence around noon.

The Fairy Princess
promised to visit again to
Bless the new plants.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

Awwwwww so cute! I am glad we have alot of room to grow this spring..
Garden, awsome shot there! You always seem to catch the essence of the beautiful morning glory.

pom, amazing shot of MG bud!

gardenpom - Ahhhhhh! So pretty! Love the macro shot! :-)

John - You got an amazing amount of space for plants! Did your Moonflower and Heavenly Blue germinate and grow in sandy soil? I have very similiar soil as you have around your fence area and I had to amend it to get my MGs to grow.

I. nils (which are my favorite species of MGs) require rich fertile soil to really grow healthy. And lots of water in the summer heat.

Who is the little fairy princess? Your daughter? Too cute!!!

I had to laugh this morning ...

I saw this bright blue bloom in the corner of my butterfly and hummer garden. Most of the leaves have dropped from it, but this bloom presented itself. This is a bloom on the I. indica.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

The I. purpureas are hanging in there. I have both the Purple as well as the Pink Flaked vines growing together in a large pot. I call this the pinwheel effect! :-)

And here is more blooms from the Pink Flaked showing what looks like a solid color bloom with a white streak running from the throat to the outer edge of the flower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.