CLOSED: '09 Fall Frenzy Swap Page #4

Since there are so many reading this maybe this would be a good place to ask this. Someone is looking for a vine of some kind that will stay green all year round and maybe bloom in summer to grow on her arbor frame. Is there anything anyone could recomend for her to try? She is in N.C. I believe. I have a yellow rose that is thornless that grows on a trellis and was thinking that might work since it is green most of the time for me and has such tiny blooms it is really pretty in bloom. I just don't know if it would fill up her arbor and over the top of it. Any suggestions?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

found the gazebo... as you will see, it's pretty shaded.
the little island has hostas all the way around... just the albomarginata... but i'd like to add color, mostly with perennials. and the shrubs are Spirea.

any ideas...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4135665

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

mekos -- everything I could think of probably 'dies' back in the winter months -- and i'm really not familiar with the carolinas to know what would work.

just a thought.. i know they are probably a 'nuisance' but what about a vinca. I have a variegated one, stays green all year - with those cute lil periwinkle colored blooms. I know they creep the ground, but would they work on a trellis?

my other thoughts were morning glories or clematis.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Mekos, how about evergreen clematis? Lots of folks in Seattle have those and they stay green all year round. They prefer a bit of shade but I've seen plenty right out in the hot sun

I suggested most of those but not what she wants, even if it don't bloom at all it would be good but just stay green in winter that is why I thought this thing I have might work, it doesn't die back it looks good but might not climb like she wants to cover it quickly. She didn't want something dieing back in winter and all those you mentioned will. I think she is in zone 6b or 7a, I'm in 7b. Thanks for the ideas though.

Colchie, I didn't know there was an evergreen one. She did say hers in in full sun but it's cooler there than here at full sun so that might work, any ideas where I could find seeds for some? Any particular name it goes by so I can look for some?

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone.

I've been asked to remind you all that there is a 100 PACK LIMIT on your oinking, which has already been exceeded by some overzealous piggies. Though it is great to see how in the spirit of true pigginess some of you are, there are more little piggies who will be joining in, and we have to have some room left at the trough and some good feed for them. So if you're not sure how much oinking you've done so far, please check before continuing to oink.
Thanks.

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

hey I know I was one of those piggies and I am done oinking but NOT done adding to my haves list...I'm still working on that this AM

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey, little piggies! I just added 8 more seed varieties to my trough. I've been working on my seeds so much I haven't even had a chance to look through everyone else's lists. Save some for me!!!

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info on pansies and violas imzadi. I think that 'splains it clear enough! I did witnersow some johhny jump ups this year and sure enjoyed them until the heat got them. I think I should plant some right now!

mekos, my first thought was evergreen wisteria, but it might not do well in that zone. I am currently growing it (it's still small), but I think I might even be pushing the zone at 8b.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59543/

I wasn't mentioning names, trina. It's always nice to have more feed in the trough, so looking forward to your additions.

frausnow, you'd better start looking if you want some good slop!

I know, I just ain't ashamed to own up to it! Next time I will write stuff down! LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I think when things get 'fast and furious' you really do not keep track of what you've OINKED for, only what was asked of you.... and some can hit that 100 mark quickly.

I luckily -- and NOT asking for a lot, and I tell myself that every year... running out of planting space has a way of making one very choosy.

THOUGH, i can sow for the UpperMidwest RU and for Wisconsin... but i'm still trying to keep it all to a minimum.

I'm running out of planting space too, and feeling like quite the porker having oinked for around 25 packs. That's more than I oinked for all last oinking season, and about as much as I can deal with - not that I'm done oinking if I find another tempting morsel in the trough.

Well this has really been fum. Thank you all for such a great time and I don't have a clue how to tell how many we have already so I will assume I'm there and now what do we do? just send the seeds on to Star?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

hmm ok someone tell me how many i am at if thee is a record. guess i wont ask for anymore. guess i was greedy. sorry everyone.

LOL...my probalem is I have 3 properties, one in another state I never get to and 2 here in town, well here at the house I worked all spring and got the very small front yard all planted and looking nice, however the backyard is home to weeds that tower over our privacy fence, because well, these people don't know what a backyard is for, they've never used it except to hold the dog and store stuff!

Mekos, this won't be ending for another month or so, so you will probably be oinked at some more. There's a whole explanation of what to do when it's time. It's probably at the beginning of the swap thread - maybe thread #1, but basically you'll have to have a bag for everyone who has oinked seeds from you, saying the number of packets inside, and have a sheet with specified info for star. We have to make it as easy as possible for her, as it's gonna be a ton of work for her as it is.

imzadi, you're supposed to be keeping a record of what you've oinked and from who. A lot of us put it on the list page, at the bottom of our haves list. I don't remember for sure if it's info we're supposed to send to star at the end or not, but I think it is. You can always go back through your dmails to find what you've oinked for and received.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

again -- this is a great use for the FIND option... and luckily we are only at 4 threads... PLUS if you asked for seeds in Dmail, it is easier to find that way.

but you can do a search for your name, and see where you were OINKING for seeds and jot that down to see where you are seed-wise.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Tonya!

I've tried to be fairly restrained, but I do need to go back through and keep track... I've been asking in the threads (and sometimes confirming with Dmail), so it's easy enough to go through the swap threads using Find: "critterologist" to see what I've oinked for in my posts.

hey for a newbie I was shocked by 2 things, well ok 3, the first being that after being sick for the first 2 1/2 days of this, that there was gonna be anything left. second how quickly the oinks added up, I was writing them down but not counting them. And three you know the extra 100 packs we're supposed to send in, I might actually have enough for that! I'm at 80 packs! 10 packs each of 8 varieties so far...I was suprised!

and I have a question. if anyone wants to try to answer it

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Mekos, how about Carolina jessamine? It's evergreen, and will definitely cover an arbor. The only question is if it will cover everything else in the yard too! It can be pretty vigorous... just depends how big the arbor is, and how much pruning your friend is willing to do.

I know I'm getting close to my 100 packs.. keep trying to resist... isn't working! So, this little piggy is on a diet... only things that are super irresistable from now on.... really. Hopefully it will work better than my new year's resolutions...

trina, there's no requirement to send in extra packs at all. Where did you see that?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I wrote above that I was trying to be restrained... "restrained," my Aunt Fanny. I'm up to 25 packs!

You don't have to send in 100 or 200 packs... it's possible (but less exciting LOL) to do this swap in a smaller way. :-)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

im new to this and sorry i am a newbie to this. i will go find what i oinked for . wont be oinking anymore it seems anyway. if got to many will back out from them.

if anyone wants stuff on my list please dmail as will probably stay away from these threads so wont be tempted.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

if i have to send in 100 packs i am in trouble.

There's no requirement for number of packs to be sent in at all. Last year was my first year, and I couldn't even imagine what 100 packs would look like. I really don't know what is being confused here, but definitely something!

I guess I am confused! LOL anyway I had another question

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Katrina,

What is your question?

Patti

ok we sort the baggies with peoples names on them and what they oinked for, say I know someone, no not one of the survivors, who could really use a few extra's but I don't want them to know it was me, if I sort a baggy with thier name on it and place a note in the Baggy to Star as to why it's there will she put it in that person's stuff?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I honestly did not read the guidelines until yesterday....

you dont have to send in 100 packs... I'm thinking it is IF you are sending in your extra seeds [ones that dont get OINKED for] i think Star was saying not to send more than 100, 10 packets of each seeds.... Like dont send her 20 packs of marigolds or common morning glories... then she is stuck with them.

and i'm thinking the limit on OINKING seed packs is so that all the seeds aren't gobbled up quickly as there are still participants who have not joined it yet....

at least that is the way i read her guidelines.... maybe i should go re-read them again.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

I am sure she would, dmail her and ask her.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

trina... I'd work that out with Star a head of time... do a separate baggie with a note on in.

ok thanks guys! I really do appreciate it!

imzadi, as most people (at least 2/3rds) list who their seeds are going to on the seedlist, that's another place you can check to see what you've oinked. I just had a quick run through and it doesn't look to me like you've oinked anywhere near 100 packs (unless most were from people that didn't list them), so you may have quite a bit more oinking allowed.

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

hmmmm. Star must be watching her soaps ; ) Haven't heard from her in a while!

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Mekos, I don't know if it is green all winter, but how about climbing hyrangea. Someone here might be able to tell you that.
http://www.springmeadownursery.com/article_1.htm

I've always wanted one of these!

nbgard, star is off with her son this morning. Will be back later.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.