Captivating Cordylines in Australia

el arish, FNQ, Australia

It's my fault. Indian Blanket, Navaho, War Paint. I mixed up my Native American inspired cords.
That's very nice! What other new Hawaiian stuff is lurking around Bundy? Ann
ps here's Thelma. She was chopped into little bits today.

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Festival Queen faces the Felcos tommorrow. Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Sydney, Australia

Ann you are teasing me with these cordys that I don't have. LOL Do you have the CD Cordylines A - Z 2008, very helpful if you know the names and want to put them together with the cordy. The picture might not fully show the cordy colouring up your way but the description will help. I checked out both Waihee Rainbow and Warpaint. Maybe I should follow my advice and check out the ones missing their names with the list I know I should have against the CD, when they come into their winter colour.
Carolyn, your Tropic Flame has grown so much since July, mine has only recently gone into the ground but it is showing some brilliant colour down here already. All my new ones from Nambour are surrounding the new brugmansias. Think I am going to have to form a well around the brugs so that I can water them in winter without giving the cordys wet feet in winter.
Chrissy I was worried about you growing the cordys under your brugs, then I realised that I had done the same thing. Just have to be careful with the water as cordys and other tropical treasures really don't like wet feet in winter especially out our way and in the clay soil. Learnt that the hard way. Yet, my only brug back then didn't seem to mind no water last winter.
When I wrestle my laptop back from my younger teenage grandson I will post some more photos as they are all stored on the laptop. I will see what I have of the cordys in the garden.

Thumbnail by tropicalsydney
Merino, Australia

I can give up envying all the colored cordys now . I was delving among plants in the fern house yesterday and found a plant I had put at the back and thought no more of. It was in a lot I bought as very cheap orphans from Kmart last year. There were a few other cordys that died and this poor thing was put aside with some flax. Looked like them anyway. I saw a tall flower stem sticking up so pulled the plant out in the open. It has grown and I found the tag . It's a cordyline "Red Fountain" Now I have a pretty one. It must like the ferns. I will take a photo later.
Jean.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

I mix up brugs and cords together a bit. They seem to not mind. Here's an old photo of the front of out house. We've extended the bed since then and added more cords. Ann
ps I do have Carolyn's CD, it is a great reference.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2009 5:30 PM

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Sydney, Australia

Hi Ann,
It is just the clay soil combined with the colder winter temps where we are that is the hassle.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Helen, Have you tried building up your beds and adding gypsum? While it doesn't get as cold for as long as you may, we have very heavy clay soil and extremely wet conditions. Raised beds amended with plenty of organic matter and a yearly top dressing with gypsum help our plants cope better. Ann

Here's Hawaiian Rooster Tail. Gorgeous colors but much slower than Peter Buck or Lillinoe.

Thumbnail by pogonantha

I think the soil in a built up bed keeps warmer in winter too.
Here I put a lot of manure and lucerne hay in the bottom of the bed (like a mini no dig garden) then top it up with washed river sand. I find this to be pretty successful, I think the worms work the clay underneath and turn it into a wonderful soil.
The difference in a built up garden compared to planting into the clay is huge ...
The pictures are stunning ...I see some little green shoots coming out now on the "sticks" I thought were dead.
Guess I will need to learn not to be afraid of them ...it worked with the brugs.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Too right Chrissy. i find them really easy to strike at almost any time of the year. My only problem is i dont see too many of the newer varieties around to get cuttings from.My soil is terrible and is built up with fallen leaves, sugar cane mulch and the odd dose of manure pellets. The cordys only look bad when the leaves get tatty from wind, falling gum branches and snails. I should probably try some in a nicer spot!
Anne, your planting in front of the house looks gorgeous. I guess I should go to your site for some cuttings?
This is the one I picked up from the markets, that the man said should be grown in shade. It suffered really badly from aphids last summer, but seesm to have recovered now. It looks as though it could be a fussy one, and in need of ideal conditions? maybe I'll put it in the brom house for daily attention.
Does anyone have an ID?
Tropicalsydney, your garden looks lovely too, and i am probably more interested in your broms now! he he
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

That's nice sue ...looks like one ann has ...
Look though here
http://www.cordyline.org/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=35&catid=13

Here are my Cordyline sticks, the picture does not show much but the eye sees quite a few little green sprouts popping out after all it is still quite cool in the early mornings, I can hardly wait to see the leaves, how long should I wait until potting them up? and would it be better to just chop off the tops and strike them ? or dig out the individual plants? ...what would you do if they were yours.

Thumbnail by
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Chrissy, I'm not an expert but I would wait for leaves to appear and then pot them or plant the individually. But you can start feeding them now as they will have small roots. Try some fish emulsion and seaweed solution mixed to pump them along.
Sue, Yours looks like Willi's Gold which is a really great one when grown well. We don't sell cutting just rooted plants. All the tops I sent to Chrissy were part of a trade. They'll be alot slower but in the end she'll have quite a bit of propagation material and hopefully know what's what as they were all labeled lol.
We have some great breeders in our area but suprisingly it's only really at the big plant shows that you can get their newer stuff. Because alot of cords aren't always colored up when small most people think "Oh I've got that one" Also the difference between well watered, fed and mulched cords in the right amount of light and cords grown hard can be amazing.
You should take a look at the way cords and broms are mixed in alot of SE qld gardens. The new website of the International Cordyline Society has a really good members garden section http://www.cordyline.org/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=35&catid=14.
Broms and cords work very well together.

Ann

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 6:16 PM

Thanks Ann ...I thought that might be the way to go, I have been giving them weak seasol but didn't want them to get too "excited" in case we got a big drop in temperature.
So if the little green sprouts are coming out that means there are roots?
I know some cuttings of things store energy and can sprout before there are roots ...would these be coming from rooted pieces? or can you only tell by the leaves growing out?
I'm tempted to give a gentle tug to see but don't want to hurt them.
Some of the pieces had leaves grow out before it got really cold so they would have had roots right?

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Chrissy, They should definitely have small roots as you got those months ago. But don't pull them or disturb the roots, as temting as it might be :) Ann

Anja

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Sydney, Australia

Hi Sue.
Willis Gold is a bit temperamental down here but you should have it a lot easier up at Coffs. It does need a high light spot and doesn't go as well in the sun down here. Sad to say to a brom lover but most of those Neos are not there anymore.
Yes, we do have raised garden beds, although to look at the garden you wouldn't realise it. As we had a sloping block we were able to build retaining walls, the higher level was raised well above the existing soil level and the lower sections were raised well above the existing soil levels and then leveled. Even with all of this, too much water in winter can still kill some of the more tender ones.
Chrissy, the cordyline canes are pretty much like the brugmansia canes, they won't get leaves until there are some roots there. The canes can also be put into water to grow roots the same as the brugmansias. I have some sitting in a bucket on the front veranda now.

Sydney, Australia

From this angle Willis Gold can just been seen through the frangipanni leaves.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks so much for those links! Who knew there were so many Cordy's? Yes, 'Willi's Gold' certainly looks like mine, droopy leaves and all! Bright light you say? I think I might build it a bed of really good soil, somewhere protected.
Chrissy, what a lot of sticks you have! he he.
Anne, do you sell rooted plants via post? I haven't been to your web site in awhile, and am a bit short on time tonight, but will still go and look. Whats the go with heliconias. The leaves look ratty, so is it ok to prune them back and hope they reshoot looking a bit fresher, or can those ratty leaved ones still produce a flower?
Sue

Sorry everyone, I have been very busy ...I promise to go and write down the the names of the "sticks" that are leafing out and showing little green bud thingys ...the leader of the pack is Maize, from memory Midnight Oil and Rooster Tail ...the rest I will need a pen and paper, when they are ready ...which can take a bit of sun ...or not?

Sydney, Australia

Australian Roosters Tail

Sydney, Australia

Cordylines come in a variety of leaf shapes and I should have mentioned that Australian Roosters Tail has a Kahili leaf.

The photos is of Bangkok Rainbow

Sydney, Australia

This one is Black Jack it comes from the Negra group of Cordyline fruticosa and these are tall, very strong growing cordys.

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Hi everyone...

I'm in the Cordylie Society, I went to a meeting today and saw a couple of new cordylines....
I took some pics so here a few new ones to look at....

Gold Compacta (mini) very nice!!

Thumbnail by CordylineMad
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

This is another newie.... Pineapple Parfait.

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

I have just been reading through some of the older posts.... and have seen that you don't recommend cords in full sun positions. I can say from my experience, I have a lot growing in full sun in the western suburbs of Brisbane. I am working on a canopy but with many years still to wait.... I couldn't wait that long to plant my cords.

I can say they have taken longer to establish and really take off but with saying that, they also had to deal with the drought as well. I found once they were established they cope very well. They did burn and fry to a crisp first off but once the new leaves emerged they are fine, I actully think they are tougher for it. I started planting my first cordylines about 3 years ago now and it was this year that I felt they were doing exceptionaly well. I think because they have had to do it hard it has taken them longer to establish.... but now.... I have the full pleasure of enjoying them.

Cordylines I can highly recommend in full sun from my experience are... Rooster's Tail, Big Red, Stiletto, Pink Diamond, Negra, Negras, China Boy, Schubertii, Compacta, Pele's Smoke, Cointreau, Bangkok Rainbow.... that's all I can think of right now.... I also have a few unnamed ones out there. Actually, I even have Pretty In Pink in full sun too and it looks fantastic which suprised me, I thought it would be more delicate. I'll post some pics of my front garden as it is the toughest part of my garden as it's always very dry, these were taken beginning of this year, looking even bigger and better now.

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

front yard....

Coffs Harbour, Australia

What cordylines? All I can see is broms! he he. Thanks for the tips on the sunlovers CM. Its very hard to find any new varieties here in Coffs, but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough. Your gardens look fabulous.
Really good pics Helen! Australian roosters tail is a nice one, with the different leaf shape. Chrissy, your little darlings are doing well, although they had a little setback after a meeting with a snail. Minor damage that they will grow out of in no time. Sprinkled the iron chellate about and will have to get into a routine.
Sue

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Lol... weed woman, they're there... and lotos of them, just they need to grow taller!! Thanks... I started gardening out the back first. We use to have a cottage garden till about 3 years ago. We have only just started in the front about 16 months ago. These were taken back in January.... they are much taller now.

We have just done a bus trip not long ago and we went as far as Lismore..... I can recomment The Seddling House Nursery, they had a good range there. Also a little further towards the Qld border at Pigabeen there is a wholesaler and they are really good.... called Palm Park. If you speak with either Ian or Daryl I'm sure they would be able to help you out. It would probably be a couple of hours drive for you but well worth it.

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Hi Ann,

Here is a photo of the true Indian Blanket....

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Here is a Willi's Gold grown in just about full sun... in Brisbane....

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

This is a very new one, there are a few in existance but there are only 3 people who own them.....
This is Kiani.

Sydney, Australia

Sue the cordys are there, they are the ones with colour. LOL.
Seriously, Palm Park does have a good range there, Darryl helped me get my collection started all those years ago. I even planted the cordys from there in my garden in the middle of winter before I had my canopy cover. Surprisingly, it does get quite cold at Piggabeen in winter.

CordylineMad, it is always good to meet another ICS member. Morning Sunshine looks nothing like Indian Blanket, but people do get away with selling it under the name Indian Blanket.

Sydney, Australia

Ann wrote:
"We have some great breeders in our area but suprisingly it's only really at the big plant shows that you can get their newer stuff. Because alot of cords aren't always colored up when small most people think "Oh I've got that one"
Also the difference between well watered, fed and mulched cords in the right amount of light and cords grown hard can be amazing."

Ann,
It is so sad that it is so hard to get the newer cordys, even for those who do belong to the ICS. I do remember a time when I could get all the newest releases but that was long ago.
The difference in the cordys is phenomenal depending on how they are grown and it makes so much difference to the depth of their colouring.

Chrissy, how is your list of cordys going?

Sydney, Australia

For those of you in SE Qld
The ICS has a Tropical Foliage Festival on soon if you want to chase up some more cordys.
14th November - 8am-4pm
15th November - 9am-3pm.
Cleveland Assembly Hall, Smith St, Cleveland.

I haven't been to a Tropical Foliage Festival in years not since they were held at Mt Cotton. This year we will be in Bali while it is on. So if anyone does go and buy some cordys, let us know what you bought.

Ok here are the sticks that are starting to leaf back out for me (thanks ann).
Maize
H Flag
Willies Gold
Midnight Oil
Pink Malloy
Red Robin
Cameo
Red Sister
Malia
Rooster Tail
There are some with no id (they arrived like that ...as extras of the named ones I think)
Flag Dancer is the only one that has rotted off for certain (there may be another piece of that in there, I will have to wait) it's cold and wet so that does not help I suppose.
It may be my fault as I planted them under heavy shelter, because I thought the cold might kill them, all in all I am very chuffed to see them leafing out, I won't be as scared this next winter ...
Now to get through the summer ^_^
cordylinemad ...nice plants!

This message was edited Oct 26, 2009 3:05 PM

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Lol, thanks Helen..... : ) That's right!! Yeah Darly does heaps for our society.... he is a great bloke , Ian too, they grow some awesome plants and are very, very helpful. It's a shame about people using wrong names, I guess all we can do is try to educate people as best we can and hope they listen and take it on board....

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Oh Ann, you need to stay more in touch then... we always have new releases.... all the time. I am forever trying to track them down, but you will get see all of them in your magazine!! If there is anything you want let me know, give me a call. I did leave my details with you didn't I?

When I joined the society, it was good at first while Margaret was still around but once she left it started going down hill. Margaret was always introducing us to new things. For a year or more, we just saw the same old cordylines and it become really bouring, that is when I got involved. There is a really overwhelming buzz through the society now, people are excited and really inspired. We are hearing really good feedback all the time. We have a very solid team who are all on the same page, everyone is commited and we're all having a great time doing it, I think that is the most important. I know the members are more laid back in north Queensland so give me a buzz if I can help you with anything.

Oh that goes for anyone.... : )

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Oh THANKS for the plug Helen!!!

Bali sounds like a good reason not to be there....
Kristy

Sydney, Australia

Thank you Chrissy, it does help to know which ones you have; that in turn lets me know which ones you don't have. You are as nervous with the cordys as I am with the brugmansias.
Hi Kristy, Bali is a good reason not to be anywhere else. Although the cordy selection over there is very limited but it is good to see them in the landscapes.

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

This is very true!! My mum went just a few months back, she shared her photos on our last slide night and she found plenty of cords... but it isn't anything like what we have here. Great for statues, temples ect. Renne Hundschidt gave her the contacts of his driver he uses over there so she got to get out of the tourist area, which she said was great. her carry on luggage ended up weighing a tonne!! Lol.

Do have a lovely time!! How long are you gone for?

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Oh also Helen, you emailed me a few weeks back about the registration for our web site.... that is now available. I tried to email you back but it bounced back to me for some reason. Go to the log in area down the bottom on the left side and there is a registration button there.... click on that an floow the promps.

Kristy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.