Captivating Cordylines in Australia

scruff ...I think you may have leaf cutting bees having a go at your cordyline there.
http://www.aussiebee.com.au/leafcutter_bee.html

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Oh my gosh Scruff,

That is really bad, is this a recently new thing? I haven't heard anything from anyone as yet. I did hear at the beginning of the year that Bundy was suffering with something but it was thought to be some kind o slug that was shreding the leaves. I don't even recall who I heard that from now. Have you had any problems like that? A bee?? I can't get over that! I wonder if it is a manace to anything else....

As for the cordylines... yes I know... there where a few good things there but of course they went on set up day and before the doors opened by the members... unfortunatly we had a grower who was meant to be bringing lots of cordys along pull out on us with short notice... February looks a lot better and we have lots planned for next Nov. It's unfortunate that you happen to come down to the show that we did have cordy problems..... Some of the ones there were disgusting and I think they should have been ripped off the tables. However I'm glad you enjoyed your trip never the less.....

Bye for now.

north coast nsw, Australia

This is my favourite plant, planted it and left it and it's grown so much with this flower opening a few mths ago. Reminds me of long ladies hair.
Don't look at the weeds under it. hehe!

Thumbnail by breeindy

closer...

Thumbnail by breeindy

this is the best coloured one i think though...

Thumbnail by breeindy
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Well, You can always come up here for the Friends of the Cairns Botanical Garden Plant Sale on Dec 6. Robyn Ganley, Jenny Ward and a few other cordy breeders are always there. It's the best of the plant sales up here. Better than the foliage fest, better than Carnival on Collins as all the collectors ( broms, heliconias, gingers, brugsmansia, cordylines, calatheas, palms, etc) are out in full force. Aside from that Flecker is such a magical place!
We'll be at stall three :)
We were so busy at the Carnival on Collins in Sept that this was the only picture I took lol. Hopefully I'll get a few more this time around.

Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hello Breeindy, nice of you to join us. It seems to be a bit of a club, but I'm happy to see your pics and glad you shared them with us.
Sue

Sydney, Australia

Scruff,
I have always been fascinated with those perfect half circles made by the leaf cutting bee. It comes and goes in my garden, seems to only happen every few years.
Helen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Breeindy, I think that last one is a Dracaena? Your cordyline australis (the purple one) looks like its blowing about in the wind. I did what you suggested and ignored the weeds. he he

Bundaberg, Australia

Helen

We only seem to have had the problem with the leaf cutting bee over the last two years.
The ends of our shade-house are open for good air-circulation, so the bee can come and go. It must think it has found an El Dorado with all those lovely cordyline leaves to choose from. I have been told it uses the parts of the leaves it cuts for nesting purposes - but I do not know this for sure. Does make sense though.
I suppose it probably does attack other plants as well but I haven't as yet heard what.

Ann
The show at Flecker Gardens is always just fabulous with lots of new goodies to choose from. I only wish they had boy scouts on hand to carry the purchases back to the car for us poor oldies. A Boy Scout group willing to do the job would make a fortune. The first year we went, we didn't know how far the stalls were from the parking area. It didn't seem that far going to where the stalls were but we sure knew about it when we walked back with our purchases and there were lots of them (many in 8" pots).

I have attached a photo of one of the new cordylines that is in Bundy - Moody Blues, I am eagerly waiting to get one.

Thumbnail by scruff
Christchurch, New Zealand

all these lovely cordys...
are there any that can survive frosts?
Other than C. Australis,,,
There are lots of those to choose from in NZ ^_^

It was blowing around in the wind..didn't think i could take a good photo but it's ok.
Oh it probly is a dracenea weed women.
See my poor kangaroo paw on the right in the background? It was great, then went under a flood for a few days but shot heaps of paws after, now this. ?

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Scruff, Moody Blues is beautiful, I can see why you are eagerly waiting to get one.

Ann, That was one place we missed when we went up, the Flecker Gardens, we are coming back next year again so that is somehing I hope to do! Obvioulsy the festival won't be on.... would love to be there. Funny time of year to do it, right before Christmas.... we might to going to Bundaberg this Christmas.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Moody Blues is lovely, I agree!
Carolyn, earlier you had asked about those New Guinea Fan seedlings. They are big enough to be potted on and some do seem true to Momma but only time will tell. Dad was definitely Midnight Oil for some as they are very dark, some even have less strappy leaves.
I wish there were Boy Scouts to carry my stock in lol. Most sales you can get pretty close to unload but not this one. While I'm sweating my butt off carrying 5kg rhizomes of Dinosaur in two at a time I often wish it was neos that took my fancy.
Kristy, next time you come up sort it out so you can stay for lunch. I'm afraid I was a bit delirious with the flu a few weeks ago.
Breeindy, I'm afraid Cordyline australis would quickly wilt here. Strictly fructicosa for us!
Ann

Sydney, Australia

Scruff,
Moody Blues is gorgeous, adore that colour, the shading of colour on it and the way the leaves fold - do I have to move up to Bundy?? The petioles don't look green in the photo, what colour are they and will it be on the new CD?
Off subject, there quite a few aralias here, pretty much the same as in Bundy. I have been reading that Sydney has been having a lot of 30-40C days since I have been away, interesting to see how the garden has coped. I am not that worried about the cordys as they will reshoot from the roots when I start watering again.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

If no one else will answer Theresa, I will have a go! I will do a bit of research and see what I can come up with. I have a feeling most of the wide leaved cordys are for warm-temperate zones, and Christchurch just might be a little too far south. Would any of you CLUB members mind commenting?

This message was edited Nov 20, 2009 6:45 PM

Coffs Harbour, Australia

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/philip.mcerlean/exoticfp.htm
Theresa, this is a link to an Irish garden that has some cold hardy cordys. Not as colourful as the tropicals though. There are some new cultivars of C. australis about though, and unlike here, where they suffer terribly with the humidity and Mosaic virus, you can prabaly grow them to perfection! Maybe you could move back to Brissie, then you can grow the broad leaved varieties! he he

el arish, FNQ, Australia

I'm a member of both clubs but I unfortunately don't know anything about C. australis or which C. fruticosa will survive freezing temps. I live and garden in the Wet Tropics of Australia.

BTW Sue many fruticosa also have narrow leaves.
Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Sydney, Australia

Hi Sue,
I am sitting in the Lobby of the resort we are staying at and we are mentally working out where Christchurch is in relation to Australia.
I am the same as Ann, a member of both clubs and a member of the Tropical Garden Society of Sydney but we aren't here because of the clubs we belong to, we are here because we love cordylines.

Theresa,
Sue is right in her answer to you, C. fruticosa cvs are for warm temperate to tropical areas, although these will grow down in coastal gardens in Melbourne, where the temperatures are more moderate. Ann has also given you a correct answer as C. australis does not grow in the tropics. C. australis is a New Zealand plant and it should grow where you are but it probably could need protection from the frost settling on it. It is difficult for us to work it out for you garden as you live so much further south of us, looking at a world map, just now, you are approximately level with the bottom of Tasmania. Have a look and see if they are in your local nursery and ask them about it.
Helen

Christchurch, New Zealand

weed-woman thanks for the link - that gives me something to research - Cordyline indivisa...
I do have two C. australis & they are doing well in pots at the moment.
Thanks also to every one else for suggestions & comments - I did web search cordylines but there is so much info to sift through!.
I had a feeling I would be out of luck from what the research showed up but thought if there was anything out there that was cold hardy then the Aussies would know about it ^_^
After all you do get frosty & even snowy regions...
I do miss my tropical garden at times, used to grow frangipanis from cuttings until Mum made me stop as we had too many...
everything I put in the ground took off!

el arish, FNQ, Australia

I thought I'd pop up a photo which is a new one for me, I absolutely love the coloring. It's named Fairy Tail Bird Feather.
Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Here's a photo of the bed extension we planted out a few months ago. The warmth and rain is finally kicking everything along. Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

I took a photo of the NGF seedlings so you can see just how much variation is in them.

Helen, When do you get back? Maybe a better question would be are you coming back lol?
Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Sydney, Australia

Hi Ann,
I'm back and you are right, I didn't want to come back. This time I was thinking about how great it would be to buy some land and build a garden over there - wonder what the plant quarantine restrictions are like over there. Also sent you an email late yesterday re costus.
I will post some photos of cordylines I saw over there soon.

Sydney, Australia

Ann, forgot to ask - that is Tartan in there with the other cordys in your bed extension photo?

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Welcome back!! I got your message, I'm glad they are growing well :)
Yes, it is Tartan. I've been planting a few around the place. I've seen some photos of a Red Sister with a white trim around the edge much like Tartan but I don't think it's in Oz.
Has anyone seen or heard of it?
Ann

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Wow Anne, those New guinea Fan seedlings have really come on since we were there. Your climate up there is just perfect, you're so lucky!! Can't wait to see what comes of them.

Welcome back Helen... look forward to seeing images from your trip.... hope you had a lovely time.

Bundaberg, Australia

Hi Helen,
It will be some time before Moody Blues is readily available. I don' t know how it will go in Sydney. The petioles are the usual for purple cultivars green with the inner ed marked with purple. Moody Blues is a seedling from Viola but reports are it went through the last winter without much drama. Yes Moody Blues will be on the next Cordylines A-Z CD-rom, I hope to have the next version released in 2012 (all going well). Have already added new varieties.
The leaf cutting bee seemed to be in action for only a few weeks, haven't had any more damage for a while now. Last year was the first time we had trouble, so looks like a yearly thing
Ann
Your New Guinea Fan seedlings look interesting - time will tell which ones are going to be the goers. We picked seed today for our N.G Fan, Afraid we don't know if they are self set or not. I really wanted to cross a purple C. fruticosa cultivar with it but of course no purples were in flower at the same time. Next season will collect pollen from the purples and freeze it to see if that works, then of course hope N.G. Fan does the right thing. Just imagine apurple fan shaped cordyline, may be a two or three generation project.

Cheers to all
Scruff

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Carolyn, I love the idea of a giant purple fan!!! At the Friends of the Botanical Gardens Plant Sale John Farrington was selling big NG fan tops for $20 each, good value.
Just picked up a couple of new ones this week. One is an unnamed seedling from Caruba Black with strappy leaves, it's absolutely gorgeous but Robin Ganley hasn't named it yet. The other is Petite, supposedly the world's smallest cordyline.
Also got a few more on Ebay. The real Indian Blanket and a mini by the name of Little Rosie (I think)
Does anyone know Johnny Noble? It looks alot like Hawaiian Rooster Tail and I am wondering if it's different.
Ann

Sydney, Australia

Hi Ann,
I have been looking at Johnny Noble as well. I just had a look at the latest A-Z CD (2008 version) and it is the same. The cordy came into Australia as Hawaiian Roosters Tail and has been renamed along the way.
I have bought a few off EBay this week including some of Carolyns new releases.
Off subject, more of my Costus are sprouting new shoots, Maroon Chalice has now got a couple of new shoots. Some of my H. psittacorums including psitacorum X spathocircinata cv Tropic. Very exciting.
Helen

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Helen, Tropic is an excellent little heliconia. Should do very well for you. Glad to hear the garden is bringing you joy :) Thanks for the info on Johnny Noble. I'm winning but now hope someone out bid me as I have Hawaiian Rooster Tail. It's gorgeous but very slow to establish unlike Peter Buck.
Thanks Helen!!

Sydney, Australia

Hi Ann,
I think I might be able to take care of that for you.
Helen

Sydney, Australia

Ann,
Just reread your post, Peter Buck is really good down here, it grows strongly. Hoping Roosters Tail does the same thing when I get one.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Lol. So you outbid me!!! It's a gorgeous cordy Helen. Much thicker waxier leaves than Peter Buck but similiar in coloring. I hope you win :) Ann

Bundaberg, Australia

Hi Ann,
I just now got back into the forum and saw your comment about Petite. I have been meaning to contact Robyn (one of those jobs on the 'to do' list). Our plant reminds me very much of the Hawaiian plant called Miniature Pink Lady, which is supposed to be the world's smallest Cordyline fruticosa cultivar. I think now my instincts may be right. I will definately get on to Robyn to find out where she got Petitie from - If she got it from Thailand, that would help explain a change of names.
Another one that looks similiar is one we bought at Nambour in 2008 with the name
Pink Purr-fection. Do you know it? (Helen I think you have one, if so, what is your opinion?)

I do dream of a Purple Fan shaped cordyline - I think it would be scrumptious.

Helen,
I am sure you will love Johnny Noble, it is a great plant, I need to cut ours - it has gone a bit leggy.

This problem with more than one name for a plant is the very reason why I created the Cordyline CD-rom, it makes it so easy to find out if a plant you are think of buying has another name - just click on that name in the index and it will take you to the page with the correct name, photo and description etc. Helps collectors, so they do not finish up with a heap of double ups in their collection. I have even noticed a couple of websites where they list the same cordyline under different names. That does not make it easy for collectors. It can work out quite expensive buying plants you already have.

I have added a photo of another great Kahili with similiar colours to Australian Rooster's Tails. It is gorgeous with its long arching leaves. I was looking at ours today, thinking perhaps I should cut it. But it just looks so nice.

Carolyn

Thumbnail by scruff
Sydney, Australia

Hi Ann, I did outbid you but I didn't get it. I lost track of the time with that one.

Hi Carolyn, I just had a look at the CD and Pink Lady is very pretty and with delicate colours. Pink Purrfection is very similar except I remember the colour being more intense. I have problems with this one, it doesn't seem to like coming down to Sydney in July. I think next year I will get a couple and then send them to work with Neil until spring. He keeps the office set at 26C for his Desert Roses and they flower beautifully in there for him.

My collection is growing really well now.
Helen

Sydney, Australia

Sue a name for the cordyline in
Post #7226541
It is Moonlight.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks for that Helen. I bought 2 of them at a nursery that was closing down, and have them planted at the front of the row in cordyline walk. I'll let them get a bit taller, then might snip them off to promote branching and strike the cut ones to add some mass. Its good to know the names so that i don't inadvertantly buy one I already have. I saw one the other day called 'Pink joy' and am kicking myself I didn't buy it then. It was the last one on the shelf, but it was a little pricey, thats why I hesitated. It had two stems on it, and the taller one would have been 70cm? With any luck, it'll still be there when I go next, or at least they might have restocked, and maybe there'll be something new there to tempt me.
Has anyone here been to Vietnam? How does it rate for a horticultural holiday?
Sue

Bundaberg, Australia

Hi Helen,
When I bought Pink Purr-fection, I did think it was a darker colour than Petite and perhaps a slightly larger leaf but now the colour does seem to be paler (maybe it is in a shadier spot than it needs to be). I will put Petite and Pink Purr-fection in the same area to see what happens.

To all
Have a very merry christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.
Plus may the rains come.

Have attached pix of my favourite cordyline - Tricolor. It is still in full colour and it is so tough.

Thumbnail by scruff
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Hi guys, Sorry I haven't been in awhile :(
I had Pink Purfection but buried it when extending a bed Woops! It looked alot like Alan's Pink.
In regard to Petite. I wouldn't be surprised if their was a name change. I bought my Johnny Noble from Jenny Ward as Hawaiian Rooster Tail so I'm guessing they sometimes do change names when they import in lol.
I finally have a few days free to propagate. Bought a 1000 tags yesterday and am ready to go :) Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.