Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Captivating Cordylines in Australia, 1 by scruff

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright scruff

In reply to: Captivating Cordylines in Australia

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Captivating Cordylines in Australia
scruff wrote:
Hi Ann,
I just now got back into the forum and saw your comment about Petite. I have been meaning to contact Robyn (one of those jobs on the 'to do' list). Our plant reminds me very much of the Hawaiian plant called Miniature Pink Lady, which is supposed to be the world's smallest Cordyline fruticosa cultivar. I think now my instincts may be right. I will definately get on to Robyn to find out where she got Petitie from - If she got it from Thailand, that would help explain a change of names.
Another one that looks similiar is one we bought at Nambour in 2008 with the name
Pink Purr-fection. Do you know it? (Helen I think you have one, if so, what is your opinion?)

I do dream of a Purple Fan shaped cordyline - I think it would be scrumptious.

Helen,
I am sure you will love Johnny Noble, it is a great plant, I need to cut ours - it has gone a bit leggy.

This problem with more than one name for a plant is the very reason why I created the Cordyline CD-rom, it makes it so easy to find out if a plant you are think of buying has another name - just click on that name in the index and it will take you to the page with the correct name, photo and description etc. Helps collectors, so they do not finish up with a heap of double ups in their collection. I have even noticed a couple of websites where they list the same cordyline under different names. That does not make it easy for collectors. It can work out quite expensive buying plants you already have.

I have added a photo of another great Kahili with similiar colours to Australian Rooster's Tails. It is gorgeous with its long arching leaves. I was looking at ours today, thinking perhaps I should cut it. But it just looks so nice.

Carolyn