Captivating Cordylines in Australia

Sydney, Australia

Cordylines are often referred to as the ‘King of Tropical Foliage’ and they are a truly amazing plant, they have a vast array of leaf shape, size, colour and patterning. They are incredibly hardy when established, as I soon found out when one of mine was lightly covered in frost one winter’s morning.
I first started growing these beautiful plants around 12 years ago. Along the way, I have learnt a lot, sometimes through trial and error; and other times from cordyline growers in Qld with a similar climate to my own. I have met a lot of people and made lifelong friendships during this time. When I first started growing cordys in my garden, they all thought I was mad trying to grow these tropical beauties in an area where the winter temps regularly dropped below zero and frosts were common; and I was probably quite mad when I think back to the lack of overhead protection for them. I now have quite a large collection of named cordylines; that was until the cordys started to eat the plant tags. To try and find the names I have dug deeply around some of the older ones and managed to find some of the plant tags deep in the ground but with a lot of them I just could not dig deeply enough.
Come and share your experiences growing cordylines with us and your disasters as well - I know that I have had my own disasters. Or just share your cordylines with us.
Even, if you don’t grow cordylines; then just drop in for a visit to say ‘Hi’ and to see these beautiful plants.

Thumbnail by tropicalsydney

congrats on getting the pictures going ...I do love the look of cordylines but I have always been a bit scared of them dropping dead ...
here is a fairly typical example of what we are familiar with in our gardens perhaps you can tell us how to do it better ...

Thumbnail by

I don't use poisons of any kind and don't see any insects but every year the poor cordy has these damaged leaves ...perhaps someone can talk about both cold and sun hardy types.
I think if you post pictures of your successful ones ann or some tropic kid may be able to tell us the name.
I have some from last autumn from Ann and about half came through winter in reasonable condition (just starting to sprout) while the other ones have looked like they didn't survive ...I know it's possible they might shoot from under like the angels do so I don't write them off as yet. was scared I might lose them so they went under plant shelter into washed river sand and were watered in with seasol.The washed river sand was in a cut off 40 gallon drum almost 2ft tall ...so roots would have found their way down to the clay.
Pretty soon I expect the tops of the survivers to really leaf out so what would you do then give them a chop and strike the tops or move the whole plant out into their separate pots ...fertilizer? ...water etc.
I will name the survivers in the next few days but I recognise that one in your picture as one of them.

Sydney, Australia

That is snail damage and it is mainly the little tiny ones, the thin lines or skeletonising are caused by them and so are the holes as they aren't that big. The only way I have found to stop this is to drop snail pellets into the top of the cordy. The pellets need to get caught in the leaves otherwise they won't do any good. When I first started growing them I used to drop on the ground around the cordys but it didn't do anything. In all the years I have been growing cordys, I have only been able to find these little snails a couple of times.
Chrissy, Rubra is looking fantastic for this time of year especially for out your way.

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

I would love to see pics of your garden TS...sounds wonderful...I have a couple of cordies but haven't gone into them in a big way...we can get down to minus 7/8 for short durations during winter ...so black frosts are not unusual...I know a lot of my plants including frangipanis can take temps down to minus 3 without damage but any lower and it shows..

Sydney, Australia

Hi Chrissy,
I use Multiguard Snail pellets as they are based on Iron Chelates, a fertiliser. I don't use poisons as I love having the lizards and frogs etc in the garden. I did try those containers that you put beer in once, didn't find any snails in the container but I did find drowned lizards so they went. I have heard of using Kitty Litter around the plants to stop snails and I'm sure someone would know of the other natural ways to control snails.
Out our way, I don't recommend any of the Cordyline fruticosa cvs for full sun, the only ones that cope with our heat are the New Zealand ones based on C. australis; thinking about it even the city and the coast does hit 40C these days. The orange ones and the purple ones need to be sheltered from the sun as they will burn easily, I grow mine in full shade but with good light. The reds and blacks can take more sun and I do grow these in morning sun; the majority are grown in filtered sun from the palms above. I foliar feed with Seasol and a liquid fertiliser at least once a month as there are a lot of plants under the palms here. You can also foliar spray with Potash in spring and autumn and that is something I keep forgetting to do.
My biggest disaster was planting clumping bamboo, as the bamboo grew I started to lose cordys as the bamboo sucked all the moisture out of the surrounding ground. About 4 years ago we removed the bamboo and since then I have had cordys I thought were dead start to shoot up again. Also found that when I have moved cordys and haven't been able to get all of the kordyle (rhizome like root) out of the ground then the cordy will eventually grow back again.

I had some struck tops out in full sun this winter ...those I was rooting for sue and I was really surprised at the beautiful colour that position bought out in them ...they were mini ones my daughter in law saved from her workplace and had been laying around on a pile of stuff in full baking sun. they were a sorry sight indeed but quickly perked up once I planted them ...never very exciting though (my fault, full shade) but I don't know if they would take hot sun.In the winter sun they became rich in colour and were quite beautiful.

I hasten to add winter sun right near the brickwork for reflected heat.
How about that ...tiny snails wow! ...I thought it was from heavy rain or wind, thanks for that tip.never would have thought that as we don't get adult snails thanks to the blue tongues, we do get the tiny black slugs ...that come out at night (watch out for them on the angel leaves) I go out with a torch after rain and there they are.

Sydney, Australia

Hi Brical1,
Where are you in Brisbane? I know that it can get very cold in some areas of Brisbane and other parts of Qld. We used to get a lot colder here with daily frosts and the ocassional black frost in winter, but Sydney has grown that much now that if keeps itself warmer with all the roofs, concrete and roads and very little open spaces.
I have found the cordys to be more cold tolerant in my garden than the frangis, but the cordys have been in the ground for years. I will post some more pics of the cordys in the garden.
Helen

sorry about the link darn it nothing works the same! better go figure that one out now.
I am sure ann can id some of your cordys for you.

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

I am inland from Brisbane...so less humidity and more temp extremes .....unfortunately it is the black frosts here that do the damage..

Sydney, Australia

Where abouts in location to Ipswich? I know roughly where Ipswich is, I have friends who live there and another friend did live there and had a tropical garden with cordys. I am inland from the city and have the same conditions; less humidity and more extreme temps, Chrissy lives further out and much more extreme out her way. Here the temps range from, depending on the year, -4C to 46C. Knowing what I am growing here, people thought and some still do, that I am pretty mad or stupid for trying these plants here. The crotons stay in full leaf here all year round and they are touchy, some went through the really bad year when it was even colder, I remember that the birdbath water was competely frozen and it is not that far from the cordys and crotons. But I have a really good microclimate here now.
Helen

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi Helen, great to see this thread up and running! Thank you for all the advice and information you have given. My own experience of growing Cordyline is quite limited to the hardy species. We have C. rubra growing along the driveway in a very narrow space (400 mm), as a clump with espaliered Camellia japonica. A nice look. The vertical height is great and the contrast of foliage colour (dark green Camellia / beetroot red Cordyline) is a plus.

We have tried some of the more recent cultivars (usually gifts), but have found them a little slow.
Frost is not their friend! :(

Looking forward to learning more. Thanks again Helen.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
western sydney nsw, Australia

Hi I took pic of a cordyline 5 min.ago as you can see in the pic. the plant gets late afternoon sun sould I move the pot more into the shade thanks Elaine

Thumbnail by sammut
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Slim and elegant... (unlike me :)
This lovely old plant was growing here, a remnant of the old garden.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Sydney, Australia

Hi Elaine,
That is one of the New Zealand cordys and the majority of those ones can take full sun. I do have a light one similar to yours in the garden, but I put mine in morning sun as I did not want to take the risk with it. If you like it there, you could watch it carefully when the hot weather comes and when the sun moves to see if it starts to burn. Didn't we have a day in the high 30s already this spring or was that summer before we went back to winter down here? I'm sure we did and it came through that OK.

Sydney, Australia

Hi Elaine,
That is one of the New Zealand cordys and the majority of those ones can take full sun. I do have a light one similar to yours in the garden, but I put mine in morning sun as I did not want to take the risk with it. If you like it there, you could watch it carefully when the hot weather comes and when the sun moves to see if it starts to burn. Didn't we have a day in the high 30s already this spring or was that summer before we went back to winter down here? I'm sure we did and it came through that OK. I love your Balinese statues, especially the lady kneeling. I will be seeing a lot of Balinese statues in 31/2 weeks.

Wayne you have one of our native cordys there and it looks like Cordyline stricta.

Thanks Iam still learning as I go along love features they fill the bare spots last summer I had sails over every thing dont want to but them up again so dont know whate will take the full sun. -----Elaine.

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. I do envy you all with some of those tropicals. I love cordylines and foolishly bought some small plants a few years ago. I have one left in a pot in the greenhouse. I struggles but is growing.
I just went out in the rain to get this photo of what I have always assumed was a cordyline. I found a piece at the tip so stuck it in the ground and this is what it looks like after 5 years. It had a stem of pretty, small blue flowers coming out of the top of a stem, last year I broke a bit off and stuck in the ground around the other side of the house where it gets lots of sun and it is growing well but slowly due to no watering. This large one gets no water but the rain. I also have a piece growing in a pot in the greenhouse, but not growing as well . I think this particular plant likes to be outside .
This large one is out where it only gets some morning sun because of the large trees but seems to like it there. Any clues as to what sort it is. ? I may cut more off and plant around. Not the brilliant colors of some but at least it's hardy to the cold.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hi Jean
I think I have the same dont know the name I have grown it from a cutting the mother plant if I remember right looked like yours here is a photo of my baby plant . Elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

Here is one my poor little minis ...struck pretty easily in washed river sand

Thumbnail by
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

>Wayne you have one of our native cordys there and it looks like Cordyline stricta.<

Thanks Helen, yes. An old favourite in Victorian, "Federation" come '20's gardens.

I love it for it's height and elegant canes, then those blooms that remind me of our Light Horseman's plumes in the slouch hat. Often I see it with the Dollar Spot tree fern, Cyathea cooperii, old Rhodos and in our case, old Camellia japonica cvs. A wonderful addition to any garden new or old.

Jean, you might be able to grow this one down your way. Let me send you a little offset. :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Here's a few of mine. I think this one is Indian Blanket but am unsure. The new growth is hot pink in winter. Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Merino, Australia

Thank you Wayne. I would love to try it. I know the the more brightly colored ones won't like it here but even the plainer ones have a lovely sculptural effect. The flower on mine was quite pretty even if it was way up the top.
Jean.

Merino, Australia

One word Ann.. Wow.....

el arish, FNQ, Australia

I love New Guinea. It's an oldy but a goodie. Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Tartan is very popular at the moment in FNQ. Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Thanks Jean:) They do very well up here and are so easy to grow. I love Oahua Rainbow but it's a bit slow growing. Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Disco is a new one from Robin Ganley.

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

I've go a few photos I haven't unloaded but for now I'll leave you with a photo of New Guinea Fan. I love them so much I've put about 15 of them in around my house in the last few months lol. Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Sydney, Australia

Hi,
I haven't been able to get onto the internet all day and have only just managed to now.
Jean,
When I started the tropical garden here, I really couldn't wait for the palms to grow tall enough to provide enough shade. So each summer and winter I would put up shadecloth to protect the plants.
Ann, I didn't know that you had Tartan and New Guinea Fan up there, wonder what other little treasures you have. Tartan has been around for years now but I don't think it was readily available, it was imported from Thailand. MMmm, think I am going to sort out another order soon.
O'ahu Rainbow is slow and it is beautiful and quite different with its markings. I noticed yesterday that mine has been attacked by the small snails. It took me a couple of attempts at growing this one in a few different spots to get one going and I was very determined to grow it. Thank you Chrissy for reminding me to go out and check my cordys. Seem to have been busy with another plant.
The flowers on cordys are quite pretty but with the Hawaiian ones, if you leave the flowers on to develop then the new leaves will be permanently smaller. So to keep all of those large beautifully coloured leaves then the flowers need to be taken off long before they develop.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hello Anne, haven't heard from you in ages!
Hello Tropicalsydney, nice to hear a new voice? Or read a new face? Hell, nice to meet you!
Chrissy, the little cordy darlings are doing well. Re the snail damage, I get it on the tropical cannas also, and like TS, I use the iron chellate pellets and try to get them in the top of the plants.
Its too dark for pics, but I have a nice cordy that apparently need a bit of protection, and as I haven't got the canopy quite ready yet, it will live in the fernery for at least another year, then I'll plant it out with Chrissys darlings.
I have 'Kiwi' and it is easy and quick to grow, and of course I have rubra everywhere, as i am quite partial to that colour throughout the garden.
The crotons are also a favourite, and I have found them a little bit finicky to strike, with no rhyme or reason for success or failure, but I have been planting them out and find they do well if fertilised more often than the other garden plants.
Anyway, I'll leave you with a pic of the fruticosa rubras, they go well in marning to midday sun, and look greta with the succulents! Surprisingly
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Bundaberg, Australia

hi Ann,
I am pretty sure your plant is Waihee Rainbow. A gorgeous cultivar.

I am so thrilled that Helen has got a cordy forum up and running. They are still my ultimate plant. Great survivors.

Scruffess

Sydney, Australia

I stayed in Bundy a few years ago and got to see some really good cordys up there. It is good to see you here.

Chrissie, the cordys behave so differently colourwise down here than they do in Cairns, but there is a bonus, we get very intense winter colour down here because of the cold.

The photo is of a few of the cordys in my garden along with a brugmansia - another favourite on our forum.

Thumbnail by tropicalsydney
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Helen, what a wonderful display! What is that tall "Zig Zag" plant in the front?
Thanks for all your advice. Especially the tip on pruning out flowers on the big leaf cvs.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Hi Carolyn, I've missed your cordylines on Ebay! The first one I posted, could it be War Paint? It's definitely not Waihee Rainbow (another favorite) Ann
ps all my New Guinea Fan babies are getting bigger and showing lots of variation.

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Sydney, Australia

Hi Wayne,
That is Alcantarea extensa and even though all the flowers have gone I still haven't cut it. Looking at the photo now, I don't think I had the camera straight as the plinth looks like it is ready to fall over.

Beautiful pictures! Beautiful plants.
Oh dear my Rubra flowered for the first time this year and I thought the long sprays of tiny blooms were very pretty so I just enjoyed them ...will that really mean no more large leaves?
What happens if you chop off the top (to root of course) will the plant revert to large leaves or will they all be smaller now?

Sydney, Australia

The leaves will come back to full size, its mainly the ones that develop while it is flowering. You can give the cordy some fertiliser but not as much as you would for the brugmansias.

Bundaberg, Australia

Hi Ann,
Yes I think you are right, the first photo you put on is probably War Paint, as I told Helen, I believed it was Waihee Rainbow (ours has shown that amount of pink flushing a couple of season) the wavy edge to some of the leaves fooled me.
Presently we have Tropic Flame (pictured) which looks very like War Paint at this stage but the plants we saw in Hawaii had a much brighter coloured variegation. I guess it is the growing conditions, our plants are still only young.

Thumbnail by scruff

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.