Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Captivating Cordylines in Australia, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Captivating Cordylines in Australia

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Captivating Cordylines in Australia
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone. I do envy you all with some of those tropicals. I love cordylines and foolishly bought some small plants a few years ago. I have one left in a pot in the greenhouse. I struggles but is growing.
I just went out in the rain to get this photo of what I have always assumed was a cordyline. I found a piece at the tip so stuck it in the ground and this is what it looks like after 5 years. It had a stem of pretty, small blue flowers coming out of the top of a stem, last year I broke a bit off and stuck in the ground around the other side of the house where it gets lots of sun and it is growing well but slowly due to no watering. This large one gets no water but the rain. I also have a piece growing in a pot in the greenhouse, but not growing as well . I think this particular plant likes to be outside .
This large one is out where it only gets some morning sun because of the large trees but seems to like it there. Any clues as to what sort it is. ? I may cut more off and plant around. Not the brilliant colors of some but at least it's hardy to the cold.
Jean.