The Photo Contest in On!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

As I understand it, if you enter a photo in the DG photo contest, you have given permission for your photo to be used by DG. So, if DG put together a calender for a particular region from photos submitted for the contest, permission has been given. As you say, Mulch, any one person cannot take our photos and print any of them without permission, but if they are part of the DG contest and become a regional calender for DG, should be okay. So... as this photo contest is getting so big and resplendent, maybe besides the DG calender, we need to have regional awards and calenders, as well! Go smooooooze, DN!

Santa Fe, NM

Copy right issues are interesting and going right over my head today. I know Mulch has some experience in this area so I'll probably talk more on a D-mail or e.mail, Mulch, if you like. I need to look at the DG copy right agreement and have D.H. explain it to me. Ditto Zazzle. However, I would be willing to have D.G. use my pictures for D.G. purposes as long as I retain copyright. I'm not as comfortable with Zazzle.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Here is a good jumping off place for info on copyright for artists. http://painting.about.com/od/copyrightforartistsfaq/Copyright_for_Artists_FAQ.htm

Santa Fe, NM

I just skimmed the site, Mulch. Looks good. D.H. recently took a class in copyright law for video. We've had some discussion of it on various photo threads here, too. I don't worry about it too much because I'm not famous. However, I know someone who is a fairly well known painter who was having copies of her work turning up on e.bay occasionally. She found out because a person who bought one e.mailed her gallery to verify the painting. She saw a photo of it with an obviously forged signature, as well as not being her painting. The e.bay seller disappeared and the person who bought the painting was very unhappy. Buyer Beware. If it looks to good to be true...etc.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Just jumping in to the legal discussion to back things up a bit, as the Dave's Garden official contest has NO hose category, and I really think we definitely need a hose category.

If we can get past the bureaucratic legal barriers, this might be fun.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

There needs to be a rock category. I have lots of those photos.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes. A rock category, a hose category, and a woops categorie.

I have some woops photos to enter.

;-)

heck, maybe we should just skip the calendar part and do a book of photos, with poetic captions by Dragon Naturally Speaking, of course.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

What? Isn't there even a rock garden category?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Not specifically. There is a "Home Gardens" category, and a "landscapes" category, and also a "miscellaneous' category.

Santa Fe, NM

A rock garden could go in just about anywhere. And why not? Hoses, same way. I made a trellis out of rebar and an old hose so you all have probably seen it somewhere down the line. One could certainly use hoses in the garden art category if they were draped nicely.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My hose was shooting out ice cubes on Saturday!

Santa Fe, NM

That's performance art! Did you get a picture?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Noper but it would have been a gooder cuz I just barely missed cubing the COC! He was not amused.

Santa Fe, NM

The COC doesn't like cold, wet surprises. Can't blame him. Our roof was supposed to get started on today but it looks like rain and no workers in sight! Probably just as well. I do wish they would call to let us know when they will or won't be here, though. l.o.l. This is New Mexico. Crescit Eundo. ( The state motto ) It grows as it goes or Whatever goes around comes around or It grows of itself. This is according to D.H. The roofing will happen when it happens. I hope so, since we have paid for the materials already.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I always liked "It goes as it grows" which corresponds to pets too.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Crescti Eundo in Wikipedia, more than you wanted to know, but just in case:

Crescit eundo" is the State Motto of the U.S. State of New Mexico. It is Latin in origin and can be translated to "It grows as it goes" or "It increases as it goes", though the former is the official translation for the motto.

History

The motto was first used in 1882, when acting Territorial Secretary William G. Ritch added the Latin phrase "Crescit eundo" to an early 1860s version of the territorial seal. In 1887, Ritch's version of the seal, including the words "Crescit eundo," was adopted by the legislature as part of the official New Mexico Territory seal and coat of arms. When New Mexico became a state in 1912, the Legislature appointed a commission to settle on a design for an official state seal. As it turned out, the commission recommended the territorial seal to be continued as the state seal, including the words "Crescit eundo" which were then adopted as the official state motto.

Contextual translation

The motto has been criticized for appearing strange or even nonsensical at first hearing. However, the intended effect is more clear if one considers that it is a quotation from the first-century B.C. Latin poet Lucretius in the sixth book his epic poem De Rerum Natura (On the Nature of Things). In this context, it refers to a thunderbolt increasing in strength as it moves across the sky, referenced by the selectors of the motto as a symbol of dynamic progress.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Alberta's motto is 'strong and free' and I like it. Not as interesting a NM's though. Here the other state motto's. Some are really different. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0801718.html

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, DN!

I kind of thought the thunderbolt increasing in strength as it moves across the sky was reminiscent of the passage of Dragons, actually........

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm wondering about dragonic influences too Kyla. Is it just a koinkidink that roybird impressed a dragon and she lives in NM? Methinks there may be alot of dragons a-wing in NM.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Boy, I sure wouldn't want to live in Oklahoma, where "Labor omnia vincit" (labor conquers all). Couldn't they find the Latin word for "love"? What's wrong with those people, anyway?

I love Minnesota's because it's in French and heavenly. But NM's is fabulous, and here in the Big Sky country, we have often observed the passage of such things in the sky, whether they be dragons, thunderbolts, geese, or blizzards.

"Eundo" must be the gerund "going". Just guessing from my knowledge of Espanish.

Santa Fe, NM

I like the state of Washington's " By and By '. Umm. There's something to ponder.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

That's the problem with translating out of context.

Now, here's something useful from Hawaii:
Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono (The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness)
So that would imply that there is an extreme lack of righteousness in our era of ecodestruction.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Picante, thank you. I have not heard or seen the word "gerund" for years and enjoy re-encountering it.

as for the lack of righteousness, yepper, I think so.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 8:41 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe a result of being in Tornado Alley? {{{{Oklahoma}}}}

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Some of those mottoes are definitely odd: "Thus always to tyrants" ???

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

WTH?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

That's the problem with translating out of context.
Most of these phrases have a history. And this one apparently acquired some more after Virginia adopted it as a motto. Wonderful Wikipedia:

"The phrase is attributed to Marcus Junius Brutus, the most famous figure in the assassination of Julius Caesar on March 15, 44 BC: however, it is more probably a later dramatic invention, as Roman historians of the period did not record it. In American history, John Wilkes Booth shouted the phrase after shooting Abraham Lincoln on April 14, 1865, in part because of the association with the assassination of Caesar.[2][3] Timothy McVeigh was wearing a T-shirt with this phrase and a picture of Lincoln on it when he was arrested on April 19, 1995, the day of the Oklahoma City bombing.[4]"

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Still I agree with Brenda, WTH? That bit of Wikipedia info doesn't explain why it makes a good state motto!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Perhaps it has to do with the early American's throwing off the rule of the tyrant George III.

Santa Fe, NM

I'll bet that's it.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Still, "Thus always to tyrants" seems defeatist from the get-go. They definitely need a new state motto!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

It also seems a tad violent, since it's advocating killing them. There must be some use they could be put to.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Weeding.

Santa Fe, NM

Chairperson Dahlia, that sounds like a re-eduction camp! I salute you. Weeding, for sure.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Most tyrants aren't particularly skilled at doing anything. If set to weeding, they would not get the roots and would probably attempt to redirect resources to something other than growing plants and would try to keep you out of the garden. I believe fertilizer has been mentioned before and would likely be more beneficial.

Santa Fe, NM

L.O.L. So True! Tyrants spreading fertilizer or being spread as fertilizer, Dave? Either way would be fine.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Feritilizer it is. This weekend I shall be out spreading poop and compost and tyrants. Henceforth I shall refer to this as the fall 'pact' with my garden which sounds very officious as all motto related things should be. Should we to tell the Virginans about this? Also this is a snorkel http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/96/Aug/mottos.html

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I wouldn't trust them to spread actual fertilizer either. Goes back to the original saying.

Santa Fe, NM

Good site for the state mottos!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.