The Photo Contest in On!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brava roybird! I have finished sorting and narrowed it down to contest-worthy candidates but I still have to pick the finalists.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm just going to stand by and applaud everyone else. All my best pictures are of Miss Piper Fox. Not one outstanding garden pic.

Santa Fe, NM

Then you must send two of the lovely Miss Piper Fox!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Exactamondo ditto to what roybird said! There is a catagory for Miss Piper Fox and I truly believe dear picante that there are some very deady Miss Piper Fox pics that are contest-worthy.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

There is a pets category.

does anyone know if there is a preferred image size?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dave put some info on that in the Photo Contest thread DJ. It's all gobblegook to me though. I just enter them and hope they are ok.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Ditto what Dahlianut said.

Santa Fe, NM

If you can post them here they will be o.k. Since the pictures are being reproduced for a calendar, when you win, you will need to send a large file and D.G. sets it up for you to do that. A large JPEG file will be o.k., TIF, etc. They will let you know.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I like that, "when you win". ;-)

Jude is sure to win, I feel.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

So how much money do they give you when you when? A year's free membership maybe?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I think you win bragging rights...

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

And a place in the calendar, no?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well yes, but where I am confused on that is that there are more categories this year, so I don't know if all of the winners will actually have a place in the calender.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

They'll have to put multiple pictures on a page, or make it a 16 month calendar and use different pics for the front and back covers.

Santa Fe, NM

I don't know what they will do. You get a free calender and a fleeting sense of gratification! The calenders make nice gifts plus help to support D.G., I imagine. Or to support Zazzle, anyway. Mostly it is fun to see all the pictures!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe they will do two different calendars.

Yeah, with more categories many decisions open up........

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Perhaps each month will have a big picture and a little picture.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Piper gave you that idea, right? cause that is what I was really thinking too.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

It's hard for me to tell which ideas come from Piper.
Heck, maybe it came from you, Kyla!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

So you're planning on having two winners in each month, picante?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

That's what I'm planning. I couldn't tell you what the DG admins are planning.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You GO GIRL picante!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

OMG, I just had an idea! No, Piper just had an idea! No, it was Kyla!

We could have a Rocky Mt. Forum Calendar with whichever pics place the best from our dear forum frequenters.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

:O Brilliant idea dear picante! Except how do we know how we did unless we rank for the overall DG calendar?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm sure if we do a calendar we can figure it out one way or another.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe Admin will let us see our results if it's for a DG calendar. (Do I want to know that I got no votes? (snorkel) Sure no problemo) Someone would have to organize it though. I vote NOT me. I am useless at techie stuff. I think it's a brilliant idea and that we should go for it if someone is techie enough and willing to volunteer to be our calendar hero ^_^

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I vote for not me also but I really really like a RMForum calendar, wowie. We don't have to know the winners either, we could just jumble all our entries and pick from a hat, as I am most certain each and every one will be calendarable and lovely to look at. If I enter I don't even care if I win, that way.

We could put two on a page too, we could do all kinds of things, if someone organizes it..... she says, who still has not gotten anything together for computer or camera........ so you can safely ignore me my opinion is just whiffing by on the breeze with nothing to anchor it to what passes for reality.

;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Methinks that was a whiffingly luvly thought Kyla. If someone volunteers to do the techie part I will volunteer to get all through Dave and Admin. And of course contribute pics. Did I mention that I have some kickbutt Hose shots (snorkle). Are we going to use DG cataglories or make up our own? Just wonderin.

Santa Fe, NM

We could make up our own Rocky Mt. forum calenders on Zazzle. Just like the t-shirts. I think it would take some time to do, though. I just got through a garage sale today and we still have house guests so I'm not feeling very energetic about new photo ventures. Lets see about next year. Part of the fun of the Photo Contest for me is not knowing whose pic's are whose and just voting for the picture and not the photographer. Makes things easier all around. Plus, I find some really good photographers that I never run in to on the forums I go to. There are some Fantastic bird photographers and butterfly people! Not to mention those who specialize in hose shots.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too! Ditto to everything roybird said. I luv the Photo Contest. I spend hours and hours looking at the pics. I luv to see what everyone has chosen as their 'special' pics. It's wonderful to see pics from regions that I'm unfamiliar with and lets not foget the funky cool cacti and house plants! Last year I thought 'Cool some confused person entered a starfish". It was a plant! Yes roybird AHEM I am requesting everyone's support for a Hose catagory next year. It's totally selfish cuz for sure I will kick butt!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

What if we asked admin for the top vote getters within the rocky mountain forum, and made our calendar out of that? And we could choose 12 categories that we wanted to know the top votes on... easy enough to make the calender through zazzle after that.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O great Brenda (snorkel) I'm sure I am a loser, loser, loser. Seriously BRILLIANT IDEA but Admin has no idea who participates in the RM Forum soooo to make it easy for them we need to give them a list of everyone from the RM forum who enters pics and then I'm sure they could help us. I suggest that once the contest is over everyone please post if they entered pics. I volunteer to send that list to Admin and they should be able to isolate our pics and we can go from there.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

You are about to run into copyright issues. DG has in the membership stuff the stipulation they can use anything posted on here. Taking it to Zazzle under one individual probably does not fit those parameters. Might need the Rocky Mountain people each to assign non-exclusive use of the photos for the calendar in this situation. I am sure it can be figured out, but might have those complications.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

But not if we do as a DG Rocky Mountain calendar dear Mulch. That's the beauty of it. DG all the way and we should smoooooooooze right through all that weinerbrain stuff. I'm very good at smooooooozing. As long as we have a volunteer to do all the techie liason work and its DG I think we're good. Now how about some poppy pics please ^_^

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think is worth asking the admin on the copyright stuff. I do know you can turn off the auto-copyright addition from your member options. I was under the impression DG put the copyright stuff on to provide some exclisivity for the members and the site. I wouldn't think they would try to limit members from using their own pictures, but maybe Zazzle is a no-no. I'm sure there are other options if publically posted by another company isn't allowed.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Gotta have a poppy picture.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No kiddi Dave-who-is-Dave. WE WANT POPPY PICS!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I might be able to find a poppy pic. Maybe.

You retain copyright to anything you post here, but DG has non-exclusive and unlimited usage of it. The problem with Zazzle is that it would be the techie person making the calendar on Zazzle, using other's photos. That is where the copyright issue arises. If DG has the calendar made on Zazzle, it would likely be all right, but not an individual. The problem is not Zazzle but the question of who creates the calendar and who has the right to do so.

I take that back. Zazzle has a total ripoff copyright policy. If you make something on Zazzle and then discontinue it and your membership there, they can still keep selling it anyway. Cafe Press or Printfection are far better on the copyright stuff. Zazzle is definitely not for anyone who is serious about taking care of their copyright situation.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Mulch, how lucky we are to have your brain to pick on this stuff!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.