More Disabled Gardeners Laughing With Joy ..2

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

scraps is 47 and just happy she does not look as old as she feels today.(90) Watching hubby put out all those shrubs yesterday has me sore, I must have done more than I thought. I am not worried about anyone knowing my age just not my weight. It is obvious I am fat but there is no need to discuss how heavy I am LOL. It ticks me off that I need to get weighed at dr.s office. He is going to fuss regardless so what does a number mean. Heck, I am going to die of frustration anyway not illness. I get so mad because I cannot still do all the things I want. You guys would laugh at me on my rolling stool doing my chores. I look like a fool but I eventually get it done. Way slower than most people but in the end the work is still done. DD just got in from college so I must go get my hug.scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

It was Laugh In, I loved Ernestine too. Would the reruns be as funny today? Does anyone remember Hee Haw? I loved it then but i did watch a rerun this summer and did'nt like it.
I'm with Kay, Age does'nt bother me but we don't ever talk about weight. I'll be hittin the big 70 next year. I expect to be treated with much dignity.
How many skinny doctors have you come across?
Hey Steph, Wanna have a race with our rolling stools and chairs? We'll even include you WC people. Things do get done by whatever means. Afterall we are the can do people.
Vickie

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Good point about the doctors, Vickie. The doctor who put Jim on a low-carb diet had weight issues himself not to long ago. He has the enthusiasm of a new convert. Low-carb is what worked for him.

O.K., I have a 33-year-old daughter. That’s as far as I’m willing to go. One of the secrets to surviving marriage to a younger man is never reveal your age. It opens up a Pandora’s Box of bad jokes.

I get teased about my answer to a garden seat. It is easier for me to sit down on the ground than to bend over when I’m weeding. One of the young men who lived here for awhile left me one of his old skateboards to sit on. Being blind, I didn’t realize there was anything written on it until one of the ladies from church told me. On the bottom, it reads: “I miss my ex-……but my aim is improving.” The skateboard works well for me. I’m still going to keep on using it. Can I take part in the race too? *Kay*--The Cradle-robbing, Dirty Old Woman

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Absolutely, but i must insist on reasonable accommodation for a WC i.e. a smooth, level surface, and ha ha ha, I win! i was 48 in May. I used to feel 95 with a 35 y. o. body. now that I take all these great drugs i feel 48 but my brain is closer to 88 somehow. Jim, I agree, 50 is definitely looming with some weight. BTW my weight is not a problem because I can't get to the kitchen!!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Think we all need a level race track. Watch Kay beat us all with her skate board. While we sit and wonder did those little wheels really go that fast.

Gee Kay, your description of yourself usually indicates a rich ole lady. Are you rich? LOL If not, you don't have a thing to worry about.People will just wonder whats special abut you.

All of you are a bunch of teenagers. So quit making yourselves sound old.
Vickie

Thanks, Vickie. You've given me a new way to define "old." You are not old as long as you can find someone who has lived longer than you. I like that!

I get breakfast in bed this morning so I had better go to bed. I won this week by 5 lbs. Jim only lost 3. Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah. *Kay*

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Way to Go Kay!!! Congratulations!

Midland City, AL

Old! Ha! Kay is a perennial 5-year-old!

Rich. Ha! Not unless money really does start growing on trees. She spends all her money (and mine) on new fruit trees. Not the run-of-the-mill fruit trees. Odd ball ones. Wild and semi-wild species that many people consider marginally edible. Like bitter oranges. Didn't you say once that you had wild cherries growing on your property, Vickie. Black cherries? Sand cherries?

Amargia is looking for a yearly event we can host in October. Maybe, you've got it, Carrie. The annual garden seat race. You'll have to watch Kay to make sure she doesn't cheat. I don't think she can even stand on a skateboard. The condition that is taking her vision and hearing messes with her balance. But, she might try to motorize it or train Fenny to pull her. (Jim, the toy boy)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ha ha ha

boy toy!

Why in October?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Maybe Kay is starting a wildlife preserve.
We just call them Wild Cherry. They're not black or sand cherrys. These make enormous trees.We have a couple 100 yrs or more old. Every wild animal gets them right away but they are sour. Also got Service berry and sourgum berry trees and huckle berry bushes,blackberry,muskadine and persimmon and all disappears fast beore we hardly know anything is ripe. Even tho we live in the National Forest a good many trees are un-native pine. I doubt that we have a dozen pine trees on our 30 acres tho.
Sorry Jim, You're just not submissive enough to play boy toy. ROFLO! roflo!

Midland City, AL

Carrie, early October is simply the most beautiful time of year here. Summer and fall overlap a little. Most of the summer plants are still around but you can feel autumn in the air. The daytime temps are usually in the 70's or low 80's with cool nights. Everyone is gearing up for the Peanut Festival and in a festive mood. It is probably the most common time of year locally for outdoor weddings.

Vickie, Kay just ordered some persimmon and pawpaw seeds. I just passed on some muscadine seeds to a fellow DGer. My dearly beloved might be willing to share with the wildlife, but I think it is more for herself. Her mom was Native Anerican with a little Dutch thrown in somewhere back there. So eating all sorts of wild fruits and other wild edibles is something she grew up with. The acreage now called Amargia was once a particularly rich source of the wild edibles Miss Helen used in her cooking. I think it is a matter of restoring the land to the way it once was for Kay.

Miss Helen left her mark on Amargia. Our Thanksgivings still have the more Native American slant she gave to the holiday. Thanksgiving dinner traditionally consist almost entirely of wild foods and produce from the garden. We are more likely to have venison than turkey just because wild turkey are intelligent, wily birds that tend to elude the hunters that provide our meat course. I've come to enjoy it this way. It makes Thanksgiving dinner a totally different experience from Christmas dinner which tends to be more lavish and "store bought." (Jim)

Photo: Miss Helen

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Good for Kay! We have venison if we have any. We used to have some every year when DH was alive. I use every wild food i can once in awhile. Except acorn bread. That is too much trouble. This year i'm ordering the whole dinner cooked from a local grocery store.
Wild turkey are tough old birds too unless you pressure cook them.
Miss Helen was a beautiful lady. Wish i could have known her. I hope Kay has passed her knowledge on to a younger generation. It is so important we keep that knowledge.
Wish i had known you wanted persimmon trees. Coulda sent you some.
That peanut Festival sounds like fun
Good morning all,
Vickie

Everyone adored my mother. When my sisters and I had the normal mother-daughter conflicts with her, we had only one another to grumble to about it. No one else would hear a bad word said about sweet, ole Miss Helen. It is tough sometimes being the offspring of the saintly types. LOL.

Anyone who has ever prepared a meal like our traditional Thanksgiving dinner, always comes away with a new respect for their ancestors. Particularly, their female ancestors. I only do it once a year. I can't even imagine needing to do work like that every day just to survive. When I sit down to the Thanksgiving meal, it is living in this era that I am most thankful for.

I agree. It is knowlege that needs to be preserved. Everyone always talks about how much knowlege we've gained in the last century. They rarely stop to consider how much of the practical, basic kind we've lost in that same time period. But, it is a kind of knowlege that is very hard to transfer through writing. (Although,I did enjoy reading the "Fox Fire" project books when I could still see enough to read print.) For that sort of knowlege to pass fully from person to person, it almost has to be transferred mouth-to-ear and shoulder-to-shoulder. That is one of the things I would like Amargia to provide. Merely knowing how to do these sorts of things seems to give young people more confidence. That alone would make it worth imparting.

I think I will try a solution like yours for Christmas dinner. These days it is usually just Jim and I on Christmas Day. It is still muddy outside and I can't think of any more good excuses to go play in the woods. So I'm working indoors organizing Amargia's "Seed Bank" and our DG Trade Lists. Jim has started remodeling the living room. He had them cut the plywood at HD, instead of trying to struggle with it himself. Thank you, Ladies. He's learning! *Kay*

Midland City, AL

I’ll have to post some pics taken around here at Peanut Festival time. It DOES get interesting. Giant peanut people everywhere doing all sorts of things. My favorite so far has to be the peanut person taking a bath outside a Bed & Bath store.

What kinds of regional festivals do they have in your parts of the country? I don’t remember anything particular from PA. There were probably Beer Fest, but I was too yound for those. There were Pepper Fest in NM. (Yeah, yeah. I’m the one responsible for all those peppers DW mentioned on a different thread.) Greek sponge divers came to the Florida gulf coast many years ago to do their thing so I went to Greek fest when I was stationed at Tyndall AF Base. (Panama City, FL)

Kay and I once talked about bumming around the country for a year. Seeing if we could find a different regional festival every week. If long distance driving ever becomes possible for me again, I’d still like to try it. (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay, I loved the FoxFire books too. and like you beleive the only way to learn somethings is by mouth and shoulder to shoulder. I taught my girls some...enough probably. One of my grandsons is more intrested than either girl was.
Arkansas has more festivals than you could shake a stick at. Our county has a peach festival. Tho last year we had to import all our peaches from Okla because of a late freeze. Then in our area we have a grape festival and wine festival,tomato festival,pickle festival,watermelon festival. Someone has a strawberry festival.
I have what i call a greek picnic. Grape juice(instead of wine) cheese, french bread,and olives. It works for me! You would probably injoy the ozark craft festival in Siloam Springs. They also have the Passion Play during the summer.
Dave tried to start a listing of festivals across the US on the History forum but no one seemed intrested.
I'd love to see the pics of peanut festival
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Vickie, I'll join you in your Greek festival!

We have mostly antiques fairs, I guess there's a pumpkin festival somewhere but ,,,,

Sounds as though we could spend an entire year in Arkansas just going to festivals. Can we stay with you for a year, Vickie? LOL. Pumpkins don't seem to grow all that well here. But, I remember reading a poem the pilgrims supposedly made up. "Pumpkin at breakfast. Pumpkin at noon. If it were not for pumpkin, we would be undone." Either the pilgrims had an odd way of pronouncing "undone" or they just weren't very good poets it would seem.

I will have to remember the picnic idea next time my daughter, Melinda, is home. She spent a lot of time in Tarpon Springs growing up Tarpon Springs (FL) has a large Greek community. She also did a college work studies program in Greece. She is obsessed with all things Greek. We had a Greek-inspired garden here, but it has lost most of its Greek character since Mindy moved to NY. I love olives. I recently learned about a cultivar that can handle our humidity. It is definitely on my plant want list. With grapes, figs, pomegranates, Mediterranean herbs and an olive soon, I think Mindy will forgive what we did to her garden. Sounds like Greek to me. (Sorry, Couldn't resist.)

Jim’s computer came in so he is lost to the physical world for the next few days until he has it all set up again the way he likes. I do hope it works this time. He teases the people around him mercilessly when he can’t battle “the horde” with his on-line W.O.W. buddies. What he calls my “stone age computer” doesn’t have enough memory for W.O.W. It doesn’t seem that long ago when 3 gigs would have been considered a respectable amount of memory. ---Sigh- *Kay*

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay, I'd be hurt if you did'nt stay with me. We could get together and with my DD involved, we could gang up on poor Jim mercilessly.
Try pumkun and undun. Maybe they were southern pilgrims. LOL
I have a fig tree. Got 2 figs this year.
Think it's too cold for olives here,
I'll send you a cutting from the tame white muskadines i got from Lowes. They grow like kudzu vines. But the birds always beat me to the muskadines.
What is WOW?
Jim would really knock my poor ole MSN2 TV noncomputer. The main computer is in California. and i have a box and tv set for my monitor. It's great for what i want it for and no danger of virus. ie DG,Garden sites, world webcams,news,weather sites,e-mail,I have problems sometimes and so do they.But no more than a regular computer. I'm allowed 10 separate users which gives me more memory. So i'm happy.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

World of Warcraft -- but that's ALL I know about it.

Yes....it is one of the most elaborate and addictive of all the different on-line role playing games. Jim can take his night elf character on quest or go battle "the horde." (the orks, trolls, blood elves, etc.) Or, his character can just go fishing. Among the little ghouls out tonight there will probably be some dressed as W.O.W. characters.

Actually, Jim wants to get his hands on a system like your to check it out, Vickie. What do you say we leave Jim playing with that and you. your DD and I go to the festivals. Girls year out. LOL.

Dear Mr. Smith needs to destroy some orks today to let off some steam. We finally got the car insurance check. It was made out to JACK Smith so, of course, the bank won't accept it. I hope, for the sake of the insurance people, the Reverend gives an inspiring sermon on kindness and patience tomorrow. *Kay*

Midland City, AL

I won the weight loss challenge this week, but only by a pound. 6 lbs. to 5 lbs. I'm beginning to honestly believe I can do this. Still have about 50 lbs. to go. I've lost more than 20 already so success feels possible.

Still switching computers. Ran into a snag transferring Gmail. Need to get DW to clear out some of her Bookmarks before I go back to my own system. She must have 100 sites bookmarked. I would say 98% of them are gardening sites. Convincing her to learn to use a computer again was my idea. I've created a monster! (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay that sounds good to me. carrie,scraps,kathy,and all lets get together and paint Arkansas RED!!

Midland City, AL

Getting my insurance check fixed is turning out to be a hassle. Surprise! Surprise! It might be easier if I just change my name to "Jack."

Instead of pulling the garbage can to the end of the road this morning, I had this brilliant idea about hooking it to the boat trailer hitch and driving to the end of the road. It WAS a good idea. Problem was when I got to the end of the road, I forgot about it. I had gone a mile down an interstate highway before I remembered it. Had to replace the wheels on the garbage can.

Dentist appointment tomorrow. Root canal. This is NOT shaping up to be one of my better weeks. I will tell the dentist I need lots and lots of laughing gas.

Your "women gone wild in Arkansas" plans are fine with me, as long as the bank and credit cards stay at home with me. I'm sure the bear and I will come up with something to keep ourselves busy. Maybe, I can teach him to dance. Taught Fennydog to sing today. Some might say she was howling in protest over my attempts to play harmonica. But, I know she just wanted to make it a duet. She thumps her tail enthusiasticly whenever I hold up the harmonica. She really does like it. She seems to prefer blues music. Her favorite song is that Robert Johnson classic, "Hell Hounds on My Trail." I'm serious here. Would I put you on? (Jim)

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Scraps does not have the energy to paint the town red. But I better tag along to keep you guys in line. HEHEHE!

I have a funny uplifting kinda story for you guys and gals. Do you guys know Jeff Foxworthy and his "You might be a redneck " jokes? Well, the hubs is the most redneck guy I have ever met. He is also a big guy, 6 foot tall and over 300 pounds of mostly muscle some flab around the middle but he is a hard working construction worker, most of the time anyway.(he is laid off right now) so he is busy fishing whenever he can now. Yesterday he came pulling up in the driveway with the boat behind the truck and jumps out and says, "I got you something" and heads for the boat. I said, " I am not sure if I want what you might be getting out of that boat" Thinking it was a big fish, an eel, a turtle etc. But my hubs had me a bucket full of flowers. Bright pretty yellow ones and one purple one. He said they were water lillies but they look alot like blackeyed susans but they were growing in the river. The funniest part about this story, to me anyway, is that the bucket he had them in was his worm bucket. He dumped out his worms to bring me flowers. Now that is soooo sweeeet!!!!! The bucket was a former container that southerners buy Chitterlings in. I do not eat them and hate that he does but he was raised by another very redneck man. I do not know and I am curious about the fact , Do northerners or Yankees eat Chitterlings? Anyway, this all comes back to Jeff and his redneck jokes. You might be a redneck if you have ever brought your wife flowers that you picked out of the river and put in your worm bucket which is a former Chitterling bucket. For anyone who does not know what chittlin's are they are hog intestines and they look and smell awful when cooked or cooking. But you never saw a man more proud of himself than that big ole' man a smiling when he presented me with the beautiful flowers. However, this morning he went to town and while there picked up some groceries and while he was unloading them I was just waking up and was very stiff and sore. So I said, I am sorry I would help you unload them but I am too stiff right now. He said," that is ok I don't mind. You have not complained about me spending all day yesterday on the river fishing so I won't complain about toting in the groceries alone. I can handle this anyway. SOOOOO that sounded suspiciously like a guilty conscious to me. Maybe he was worried when he came home late and thought the flowers might keep him out of trouble? What do you ladies think? Sounds a little suspicious to me.!
Anyway I absolutely hate I could not include pics of flowers with this story but DD #2 has camera at school. I truly enjoyed the flowers. Do not get me wrong about that. I love them more knowing he dumped out his worms because he went back fishing today and had to dig more worms. Once I took the flowers and put in elegant vase they were spectacular. I had DD #1 up for supper last night and she loved the story and flowers too. Have a great Day everyone I am off to crocheting now. love and Prayers,scraps
P.S. I can not type or spell so please forgive my errors in spelling.

Midland City, AL

Thanks for sharing that one, Scraps. It has been a rough week so far. I needed that. (Jim)

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Jim,I am glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes the simplest gesture is the sweetest. You know they say we are from different planets, you know, Guys are from Mars and we are from Venus thingy. Anyway we normally do not think alike. But in my opinion a bunch of hand picked flowers that someone picks when they actuallly have you in mind is much sweeter than roses on Valentine's Day when it is kind of a have to thing. Anyway I was proud of them but the fact he poured out his worms for me made it priceless. Have a good night. Scraps

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Great story, scraps. Heartwarming. After 19 years of marriage I'm convinced that it's the little kindnesses that keep the flame alive.

Midland City, AL

Yeah, I finally got that. Tried all the usual tactics to win Kay over. But, I think what finally worked was when I gave her truckloads of mushroom compost and a special rose bush for Valentine’s Day. She said before I was “romancing by route.” I had a “paint-by-numbers” approach to romance. But, the compost and plant showed I saw her as a unique individual. Not just another woman. I didn’t know much about gardening. Cracked dumb jokes when she came home from the store with bags of composted cow manure. The fact that I went to the trouble of finding the rose I knew she wanted and allowing compost to be loaded in my precious truck finally convinced her I was serious.

Talking about what is or is not redneck, though, has resulted in an identity crisis for me. I am now confused about my official status. I thought living in a trailer in south Alabama automatically qualified me as a redneck. I was shocked to learn that because of my rural Pennsylvania beginnings, I have to be classified as a “Yankee hayseed.” I can’t even claim that I am redneck by marriage. Kay’s family is too “salty” and their connection to oil exploration (wildcatting in OK /TX and off-shore drilling) make them “roughnecks” instead of rednecks.

I’m told that doing my hunting with a camera and my fishing on a computer game seals it. A true redneck does his hunting with a weapon and his fishing in “the big room with the blue ceiling.” (I think the big, blue and green room has lousy heating and air conditioning myself.) This is not fair because I know what chittlins are. I’ve even eaten them. A claim many southerners can’t make. Most say they could never get passed the way they smell when cooking. I listen to “Rick & Bubba” on the radio in the morning. I drive an old, blue pick-up and retired as a sergeant meaning I really worked for a living. I live on “the redneck Riviera”, for heaven’s sake. My blind wife Brailles me before we go out to be certain I’m not dressed too redneck. (She tells me sock color should match the hemline of the trousers. White socks are redneck. I think I deserve redneck status! It sounds much more macho, than “Yankee hayseed.” (Jim:-)

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Jim, That is too funny. A man without an official status. However, I think most southerners can't get past the fact that you are a Yankee anyway. But everyone outside of the south thinks we are all inbred idiots and most probably are, we just are not smart enough to figure it out . However, a guy who buys his wife rose bushes and compost is the greatest kind of man so nothing else really matters. I have practically begged my hubs for truckloads of good compost or manure and he never gets around to it. However, my brother will help me haul stuff like that for a six pack of beer. So come spring my bro is going to get drunk several days in a row as I get my yard landscaped and my dirt in good condition. I have lousy soil here. I hate you have had a rough week and I hope it gets better.

planti, I agree with you. In my opinion, a man who brings me flowers of anykind is top notch. I like wildflowers about as much as fancy ones anyway. I also would rather have a rose bush over a vase of flowers that will die in a week. However, I do not know how well they are going to grow here because they need alot of sun. I have an area in front yard that gets sun in midday while the sun is overhead. Later in the afternoon it is in shade so I will have to try and see how they work.
My youngest brother is coming today for a short visit and to get some of my mom's things out of my storage shed. We still have to get it moved up here to new house and it is loaded with her stuff. you can not even get in the door. She is in nursing home because she had a stroke 5 years ago. I do not think she will ever come home and her stuff is going to ruin so we are dividing it up to get it out of my shed. Some of it will probably already be ruined. I have squirrels in my shed. She would have another stroke if she knew so I pray she never knows. But I cannot store it forever. I have a bedroom full of stuff that needs to go in shed when I get it cleaned out and moved. I got rid of so much stuff and still have a room full of things I just can't get rid of. I need that shed for craft stuff especially. So I must get up and get moving and hope and pray nobody lets it slip to mom that we have divided up her precious stuff. Have a good day everyone. It is supposed to be a beautiful day here today. Sunshine and in the 70's. scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

OH BOY! The Yankee,Redneck discussion!! I was born and raised in Arkansas. But my folks were as yankeefied as could be. DH was semi redneck. We lived among yankees mostly when we were first married.
Like to think we picked the best lifestyle of both worlds. As in "country folks will survive" "but lets look at all sides of the coin." People tend to think of the north as all city and the south as all country and neither is true. My nephew from Texas considers everyone north of Dallas as yankees.That poor boy is the reddest redneck in every respect.
He loves to have people think he browbeats his wife. When we all know who really runs that family. He is alot like JR Eweing of "Dallas"but he has a heart of gold but heaven help anyone who points that out.
My words don't seem to be coming out right tonight so guess i won't go into that. My experience is people are all mostly alike except for a few points of view. I love chittlins, tho i never tasted one till after i was married. Made some once and never again. I don't think that smell ever goes away.Also like boiled peanuts. I'll try just about anything. I do warn everyone to never try armadillo meat tho. I was talked into cooking some once. It smelled like skunk when it was cooking and it was forever to get rid of the smell,
Having a husband that was a fishing nut. I really under stand your DH,s love for you when he dumped his worms for your flowers. It was the greatest sacrifice. The flowers may have been guilty action but the worm dump had to have been true love. Yes i think it romantic too.
Jim. I hate to tell you that being able to use a computer labels you a non redneck too. LOL
What do you say girls? Shall we label Jim as a John Denver Country boy?

Scraps, glad you took time off crocheting to talk to us, Do you watch tv and crochet or should i say listen to tv and crochet?

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone or should I say hey Ya'll since we are in the yankee/ redneck discussion. I never knew a yankee I did not like so I guess I am a traitor.LOL my favorite Aunt was a yankee and I loved to hear her talk when I was a child. I was not old enough to understand why she talked so different but I thought she was such a fancy lady that was why she had such a nice voice. Now I love to hear anyone with a different accent talk but I find northerners just talk too fast for me to understand. I need to say slow down. I'd bet that you northerners think we are never going to finish a sentence because we drag it out so long. I absolutely love to hear a male Texan talk. Also the guy Bubba on the show "In The Heat Of The Night". I had a brother who talked really slow and Bubba reminds me of him.

Cando, I do sometimes watch tv while crocheting but I like to turn the satelitte tv station on the radio and listen to music. I enjoy listening to the blues sometimes and something else another day. I like having satelite tv because we have had 3 stations for 20 years and all that was on in daytime was the soaps which I don't care for much. Sometimes change is good. So somedays I watch HGTV and somedays I am in the mood for cops all day or a movie. It gets boring doing the same thing everyday so I like to change it up. I am still crocheting which does get old sometimes but I can change what I am watching while doing it. Well, I must get my day going. I have not done anything so far but get dressed. Hubs went fishing and I got to sleep late. woo hoo!!!!!!!

Have a good day everyone.Love and Prayers, Scraps

Midland City, AL

Scraps, we have a rose here that grows well even in fairly heavy shade. No idea, as to its name. We just call it “the arresting rose.” It came to be here as the result of Kay’s “rose rustlin`” (She had a devil of a time explaining to the police what she was doing digging in the graveyard. The family of the deceased wanted her to take the rose, but they forgot to mention it to the graveyard’s caretaker. The “Texas Rose Rustlers” haven’t got anything on the ladies here.)

It is one of those old roses that has some fragrance in the foliage and the old fashion rose scent which is why DW wanted it. I like it because the new growth is a wine color. It can’t quite decide whether it is a shrub or a climber though. And, it does produce hips. It can be trained to be a shrub or to climb. We have plenty of rooted cuttings, if you would like to try it out in northern MS.

Questions, Vickie. A lady in the Netherlands ask me about the hardiness of muscadine grapes. I remember you said you had one you picked up on sale. Have you had it long? Does it go through the winters there okay?

My BIL is a Bostonian. He lived down here for many years. He retired to a place in Vermont. When I said something about the change and how hard it must be to get accustom to. He just laughed and said the only difference between rural Vermonters and the folks down here was the accent.

(Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

The original rose planted graveside was a ‘Mr. Lincoln’. This is what came back up when the ‘Mr. Lincoln.’ Was accidently dosed with herbicide. I assume it is the rootstock the nurseryman grafted the ‘Lincoln’ on to. No one has been able to ID it yet. The plan is, if we give away enough rooted cuttings, someone we give it to will know more about roses than anyone here and be able to ID it. LOL. It does not appear to be ‘Mr. Lincoln’, but it is a trouble-free rose for the south. Too exuberant for a cemetery plant, however. It does tend to ramble. BTW, the police just gave me a ride home. They did not arrest me as SOME people have insinuated.

I’m sure my family will accept Jim as a roughneck just as soon as he gets a tattoo and overcomes his irritating propensity to sea sickness. We will even let him on what he insist on calling “the big boat” then.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Muskadines are hardy in Z6 here and spread fast. These make clusters and look like grapes. I've had it about 6 years,
I've got a mr Lincoln rose.Abeautiful red. I bet that was an intresting conversation for a few minutes.

I love to listen to music on Dish tv too. from new age to spanish, country western,gospel to classical. programs too. From police to comedy, science and history to news. and a few court shows thrown in.

Midland City, AL

I suspect the tattoos are the secret to the success of most roughneck marriages. Being away from home a month or more at a time is stressful on a marriage, but a man thinks long and hard about divorcing a woman when he has her name tattooed on his arm or chest. I understand tattoo removal is painful. Since I don’t spend six weeks at a stretch on a rig or at sea, I consider the tattoo unnecessary. For family reunions, I guess I could get one of those temporary ones that you can take off with baby oil.

Kay won the weight loss challenge this week, but only because I’m such a nice guy. I entertained the girls at Halloween by eating all “the icky stuff” they fed me. Black jelly beans and chocolate eyeballs aren’t actually on my diet. But, little girls seem to get a kick out of squealing and commenting on how “yucky” boys are and proving to one another that boys will eat anything. I felt I had to do my part for the male cause. Talking about what I had to eat as a part of survival training in the military was a big hit. But, I had to back up my claims by eating the gummy worms.

Okay, the peanut characters do make sense in a place that dubs itself the “Peanut Capitol of the World.” Civic pride + advertising.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Midland City, AL

.....However, no one has ever given me a logical explanation for this most interesting landmark. They will put a wreath around its neck and string it with Christmas lights for the holidays. Gotta love this place!

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Speaking as a thoroughbred Yankee going back forever (and darn fed up with the cold) with absolutely NO qualifications, I think temp. tattoos on your knuckles would be most effective in a barbed wire pattern. Then when you reappear occasionally you'll remember just where they go.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Eating yucky stuff in the AF reminds me of one of DH's stories of jungle survival school. They're all learning about what leaves, branches, bugs, eyeballs, bark, etc. it's safe to eat if you need to survive in the jungle. The C.O. has them go around in a circle describing what fabulous delight this piece of bark tastes like. "Mmm mmm tastes like filet mignon." "No, I taste Mom's homemade roast turkey with all the fixings." "It tastes like my sweetheart made me a cake!" "And what do you taste, Sergeant?" he asks DH. "I'm sorry, sir, but it tastes like bark."

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL! Jim what a fantastic red Arkansas razorback hog you have in Alabama.Have got to send that pic to the U of Arkansas. I had no idea youall cared!!!!!
Carrie, is'nt that barbwire tatoo on nuckles what felons in prison do?
Your DH is a man after my own heart.Tell it like it is.
My DH had to do prisoner of war camp in northern NY. They did'nt take into account that Al was a redneck country boy. When they let the guys go so they could be captured. He gathered up most of his men and they hid out in an old barn.The fools never checked out that barn either.After 24 hours they drove around with a loudspeaker saying the guys had to surrender,And they did.They were duely tied up and had snakes rubbed in their faces. Al knew they were garter snakes and a bunch of other junk. Al still had nightmares about that camp tho.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Vickie, I don't really know, could be. It just seemed like the toughest, meanest place to have a tattoo! Do rednecks go to prison? No, they hide in barns, instead.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.