Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: More Disabled Gardeners Laughing With Joy ..2, 1 by seacanepain

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright seacanepain

In reply to: More Disabled Gardeners Laughing With Joy ..2

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of More Disabled Gardeners Laughing With Joy ..2
seacanepain wrote:
Scraps, we have a rose here that grows well even in fairly heavy shade. No idea, as to its name. We just call it “the arresting rose.” It came to be here as the result of Kay’s “rose rustlin`” (She had a devil of a time explaining to the police what she was doing digging in the graveyard. The family of the deceased wanted her to take the rose, but they forgot to mention it to the graveyard’s caretaker. The “Texas Rose Rustlers” haven’t got anything on the ladies here.)

It is one of those old roses that has some fragrance in the foliage and the old fashion rose scent which is why DW wanted it. I like it because the new growth is a wine color. It can’t quite decide whether it is a shrub or a climber though. And, it does produce hips. It can be trained to be a shrub or to climb. We have plenty of rooted cuttings, if you would like to try it out in northern MS.

Questions, Vickie. A lady in the Netherlands ask me about the hardiness of muscadine grapes. I remember you said you had one you picked up on sale. Have you had it long? Does it go through the winters there okay?

My BIL is a Bostonian. He lived down here for many years. He retired to a place in Vermont. When I said something about the change and how hard it must be to get accustom to. He just laughed and said the only difference between rural Vermonters and the folks down here was the accent.

(Jim)