More Disabled Gardeners Laughing With Joy ..2

Midland City, AL

LOL. I can just imagine the C.O.’s response to that. “Son, I respect honest so I’m only goona make you give me 20. Down and give me 20!” What branch of the service was your DH in? In other branches of the service, it might have been more like 50 push-ups. I think we “fly boys” are considered the softies. Once ran into a former boyfriend of Kay’s who happened to be a Marine. Kay was introducing me and explaining that I was A.F., not Army Aviation. (The most common branch seen in this area.) She said. “Yeah, I decided to AIM HIGH.” The man grinned wickedly at me and responded. “Guess that explains why you missed.” THE FEW AND THE PROUD are such charming characters.

Thanks for the info on the grapes. Vickie. I’ve read muscadines are hardy to Zone 6, but I don’t like passing on such info until I can verify it with real life gardeners experience. There are so many variables in gardening. I still think it is as much art as science. That may be why women are the majority among gardeners. Women can think more holisticly. I'm told that is a fact backed up by neurology. The two halves of the brain have more connections in women.

We are having heavy rains so Kay is inside cooking. I’ve been acting as Thanksgiving dinner guiney pig. Kay is trying out possible Thanksgiving dishes on me. To sub for the mashed potatoes which are off limits on a low carb diet, she made mashed cauliflower. That is a winner. But, the different gelatin desserts are a lost cause. I don’t think there is a gelatin dessert I will ever actually like. The search for a low carb Thanksgiving dessert continues. Will probably break down and buy some almond flour. About $9 a bag locally, but it is Thanksgiving. (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Jim, he too was A.F.

Midland City, AL

Well, in that case, I can say that everyone also knows the A.F. is the most intelligent branch of the service.

Sorry, you probably told me that. I'm taking Meperidine, in addition to all the usual stuff. (Jim)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Speaking of carbs and etc...I've found a good recipe for pumpkin pie that's gluten and dairy free. Also on this page is all kinds of thanksgiving tips for special diets.
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/11/thanksgiving-recipes-tips-for-gluten.html#more

Please share your successful foods so I can rip them off~lol!
Jacki

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gosh, you send me to those wonderful blogs and I get TOTALLY immersed!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

carrie, I love her blog! It's one of my favorites.

Midland City, AL

Thanks, Planti. We need all the ideas we can get. Thanksgiving can be a real challenge. This year's guest list includes a vegan, an octo-/lacto vegetarian, a diabetic and a man undergoing kidney dialysis. Of course, I've complicated things even further by throwing low carb into the mix.

We are going buffet-style, where everyone can pick and choose according to their wants and needs. In our experience, it is what works best with such a diverse crowd. We have an unspoken, but iron-clad rule. No making a comment or a moral judgment on anyone else's eating habits. One year things got rather heated between the carnivores and the herbivores. Funny thing is, if it had gotten physical, I would have put my money on the herbivores. There is no one more potentially dangerous, than someone with strong and high ideals. (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Turns out - I forgot - my new SIL is lactose-intolerant. I forgot.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

You are very tolerant people!
I'M having plain ole traditional and will suffer the consiquences.
Sorry Jim, AL was Army Security Agency. They WERE the intelligence.LOL Now you know why we(THE US) got into so much trouble around about the 60,s the army spoiled those guys pathetically and they were plain non coms.We only associated with the airforce, not navy or marines.Sorry you'll.

We had to miss out on all the fun protests and hippy movements.

Jim Can you have creamcheese and coolwhip? Theres a good cranberry salad, mixing cranberry sauce, rasberry jello, pineapple, creamcheese and coolwhip.
we have buffet style dinners too. If the weather is warm we'll eat on the screen porch if not, scattered around the house.

Midland City, AL

Vickie, Guess I will have to taste-test one more gelatin concoction. That actually sounds good. Cream cheese and whipped topping aren’t a problem. It would work well at Thanksgiving here because it is similar to a vegan dish we will be having. We try to arrange it so we can all eat the same food. When that isn’t possible, have a similar dish, at least. That makes it seem more like we are sharing a meal. Not eating different meals and just sharing the same table.

I had to wean Kay off soy milk when we started this diet, but she isn’t lactose intolerant. Just worries all the hormones pumped into dairy cows get into the milk.

I don’t mind at all cooking for vegans who eat that way for health reasons. It doesn’t matter to me one way or the other what the current medical evidence says about effectiveness. If a person BELIEVES being a vegetarian helps them battle cancer or whatever then it really can. I’ve heard there are medical studies that leave no doubt a positive; in-control attitude makes a difference on recovery rates.

With teenagers, however, vegetarianism can just be a rebellion thing that they will grow out of. They tend to be the obnoxious variety too. I am not the most patient guy in the world when I am dealing with one of those. I know I never behaved like such a brat! :-)

It is my personal opinion that some of the “animal rights” inspired vegans are silly and impractical. A few have a morally superior attitude that rubs me the wrong way. Like the “holier than thou” Christians, they are overly critical of others, judgmental and feel some compulsive need to preach.

Most vegans don’t feel a need to evangelize. And, if you respect their decision. They respect yours. They make good guest because they appreciate you respected that decision and went to the effort to make them a part of the celebration. Turkey Day can be a lonely holiday for vegans. For me, it is as much about the people around the table as the food on it. I can eat vegan gravy on my mashed cauliflower and enjoy the company. The Native Americans taught the Pilgrims to eat food they weren’t accustom to after all.

SD#1 has to work Thanksgiving Day so she will host her own dinner at her house the day before. Her event is always the traditional southern version of Thanksgiving. That is the event I have to worry about. I might find the weight I lost there. (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I sure agree with you Jim.I have no patience with histrionics.esp. mine. LOL

I found another receipe i have to have. That vegan gravy. I've made gravy using juices from cooked veggies. But it still had greese in it.
i wonder about all the chemicals coming in on most of our grocerys too. If i knew someone who milked a cow, I'd buy raw milk.We've done it before.
I'm off to try to sleep again. Good morning or night which ever you prefer.
Vickie

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Anything that blooms this time of year is worth the time and effort of learning about. Spider lilies are the only thing I have blooming that is red. Share, if you find out what it is.

There are many recipes for vegan gravy, but this is the basic recipe for the classic one everyone can agree on so you don’t have to make gravy for vegans and another for meat eaters
1 vegetable broth bullion cube and 2 cups water
Or 2 cups vegetable broth
½ tsp. onion powder
Several dashes of garlic powder
2 heaping tbsp. nutritional yeast
A few dashes soy sauce or tamari
½ tsp. mustard
¼ to ½ cup flour (brown rice flour, if you can get it)
1 tbsp vegan butter (optional-to add richness)
Salt & pepper, to taste

Sorry, I would have just given a link that has this classic recipe, but I picked up a virus surfing vegan sites and I have good firewalls. Had to spend hours doing a virus and spy ware scan to get rid of it. I’m working on a post on the Different Shades of Green blog on the subject of Thanksgiving and special dietary needs so I went through a lot of sites. Can’t say for sure exactly which site it was on. Would not want anyone else to have to go through that.

I wonder. Is soy flour an option, if someone has issues with gluten?

Jim is printing up Thanksgiving color pages/placemats for the kids. He can't get into much mischief doing that. I hope! LOL. *Kay*

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Kay,
Soy flour doesn't have any gluten in it. :)
Jacki

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Another question-- Is vegetable bullon the same as the mexican tomato bullion i buy?Don't think i can get it here except maybe a health food store.
I can get the rice flour here.
Thanks

Midland City, AL

Hey, you can get Mexican tomato bullion? Maybe, we should start food products trading, like the seed and plant trading. LOL. I'm sending lemongrass to my SD#2 because it is so expensive and low quality in her local grocery stores. (Utica, NY) If, that is, they have it at all.

Let me guess. There is a Latin American community in Ozone, AR, but vegetarians are few and far between. Stores aren't going to carry an item unless it is profitable.

Gee, and I thought Kay was just keeping soy flour in the house for an emergency. In case she fell off the low-carb wagon and needed to mix a glass of soy milk. (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

We do have a large Espanic population down in the valley. Also a Vietnamese one. I shop both markets. There is also an India one about 60 miles away i go to occasionally. It's much cheaper than traveling abroad and i injoy it.
If you ever get a chance to buy vanilla from Mexico grab it. It is so much better than any from the US. A lot cheaper too,
Health food stores carry vegitarian things. We 've a lot of those too. Sometimes it pays to be a nosey lil ole lady and check everything in the country out. I even checked out a liquer store once and bought a bottle of local wine. Life is just one big adventure. LOL

Vickie, it sounds to me like you have hit on the perfect formula for a satisfying life. Sometimes I think about people in gardening terms. People should be like trees with their roots nourished by the knowledge and experience of the past, but always growing and reaching for more light, new knowledge and experience. When I’ve known someone for a while, I tend to associate them in my mind with a certain plant, usually a tree. I haven’t started associating you with any particular tree yet, but I feel sure it will not turn out to be a tree that lives in the understory of the forest. Your “totem tree” will be one out basking in full sun. LOL. Better get to sleep. Long, hard day tomorrow. And, I tend to ramble and get philosophical in the wolf hours of the night. *Kay*
P.S. Was the wine a good one?

I came across this slow-cooker recipe while I was working on the upcoming blog post about holiday cooking and dietary restrictions. It looks like a problem solver. Some people want all the traditional taste of Thanksgiving and they feel cheated somehow if they don’t get them. (Nadine is one of those. If she had it all her way, the Thanksgiving menu would NEVER vary.) It does not matter to this kind how tasty the untraditional Thanksgiving food is. They still long for those familiar tastes. This is a simple way to give them those tastes and still have time for other things. This recipe hasn’t been rated by members and refined yet, but it sounds like it will be good. I will have to make a batch for my taste-testing guinea pig…uh-h…my darling husband tomorrow. *Kay*

One Pot Thanksgiving
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/A-Slow-Cooker-Thanksgiving/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=27140702&prop26=WhatsCooking&prop27=2009-11-19&prop28=RecipeArea2&prop29=FullRecipe_9&me=1

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kay, I've been looking for something like that. Perfect for one or two people and simple.Just chunk it in a slow cooker. I'm going to try using cornbread for bread tho.We've already got Dinner ordered. but will do good for
later.
Are'nt slow cookers wonderful?
Now what are we gonna do with all the leftover turkey? or chicken?

Midland City, AL

Our Thanksgiving plans have gone awry. My table saw burned out an internal fuse. The part has to be ordered. There is no way I can finish the living room remodel in time. The computer motherboard for the dishwasher burnt out. The part has to be ordered. I had to tare apart the kitchen counters to find that out. I could go on, but it suffices to say this place will not be fit for a dinner party by Thursday. Dining outside will not be an option this year, if the weatherman is to be believed. Since we had already bought all the ingredients for the dinner, we decided to take the Thanksgiving dinner to our guest and we’ve started it a little early. “Have spatula. Will travel.”

We did the Thanksgiving in a Slow-Cooker” recipe today (Used your idea about cornbread, instead of plain bread crumbs, Vickie.) along with sweet potato boats, a pecan and a pumpkin pie. It went over well. Although, when I do the slow cooker recipe again we will use those crock pot liners you can buy or make one myself to make clean-up easier. It does tend to stick. Taste good, though. Real comfort food.

We bring Thanksgiving to our vegan would-have-been guest tomorrow. It turns out the vegan version of Tom Yum soup is all I can make anyway. Can’t find fish sauce here. I can’t count the number of times in the last week I’ve said something to grocers like, “No, not a sauce for fish, a sauce made from fish.” The Thai food fad seems to have skipped over this community.

Thanksgiving Day will be unadulterated southeastern Native American cuisine. Roasted venison with all sorts of *bean, *squash and *corn dishes. (*What I’ve come to think of as the Cherokee food pyramid :-) The desserts are made from the fruit we grow and that grow wild here. The folks invited to share this meal helped me make this mess so they won’t complain about the sawhorses and unfinished projects. I lose Kay to football fever Friday. The Auburn vs. Alabama game. While I’m helping the ladies decorate for Christmas at church, Kay will be hurling insults and encouragement at sweaty young men. (Could be worse. She could be one of those women who are into wrestling.) Then, up to the garden in Fayette for the weekend to pick up pecans and play in the dirt. Hoping you all have a wonderful holiday no matter what. . (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Happy Thanksgiving all my friends. May your day go much smoother than Jim and Kays. At least you have an intresting time to talk about. (smile)
Vickie

Everything is so gray and dreary the S.A.D. has been hitting me hard lately. Today was fun though.

Jim gave me a hard time most of the day because a local florist shop called early this morning for directions so they could deliver flowers today. He teased me mercilessly speculating which young man sent them to me. I was curious myself. It had to be someone who didn’t know me well. I don’t like cut flowers all that much. Live plants, of course, are a different story.

What was fun was the flowers turned out to be for Jim, not me. One of the young women on his on-line game sent them. It was an adorable Christmas bouquet. She just used my name for the shipping order because she knew my actual name. Jim is known to the other players only as “Grandpa” or by the names of his different game characters.

I realized something about myself. I’ve always seen myself as a completely modern, thoroughly liberated woman. But, it hit me that I have NEVER sent a man flowers despite the fact that I know many men who enjoy flowers. You can learn a lot from the young!

Now I get to turn the tables and tease Jim without mercy about his young, female admirers. :-) Kay*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Poor Kay!!!!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh boy! I get to tease Jim about being called "granpa" Kay, I never gave a man flowers but use to pick Al flowers occasionally. Does that count.
I saw 11 deer on my way out to the highway this morning. All i saw was 11 mouths chomping down on my daylillys next spring. Have got to get someone up here to hunt deer again.
Went to see doctor about my wrist yesterday. It's not healing. Have an appointment to have some tests run tomorrow to find out why.
Depression keeps hitting me about every other day.Thank goodness i have those good days in between.
I'm injoying all the christmas specials. I've taped but not watched It's a Wonderful Life. My favorite special. Well i've got to add Scrouge as a favorite.
Hope everyone is staying warm,happy,and out of trouble.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Watch the grinch who stole Christmas - that's my favorite! Thank you for the Christmas card.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Welcome

Midland City, AL

I bought the movie version of that starring Jim Carrey, but the kids still prefer to watch the old animated version I grew up with. Go figure! (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Because it's better, they're not dumb!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

I agree, Jim Carrey is just a little too silly in that movie I think.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Have been watching a parade of Christmas TV. I'm wondering how Christmas got to be a romantic season. I don't think thats any better than commercialization.
Having said that....My living room is now filled with a Christmas tree,3 nativity sets,a small village,icecicles,snowflakes,greenery,2 poinsettias,2 Christmas cacti,candles,a couple of angels,a door wreath and i'm threatning to tie red bows on my dogs and cat.Is this overkill?

I think the romantic thing IS commercially motivated. Christmas is as big as Valentine's Day for diamond and jewerly sales. I just read a book on the bloody history of the diamond industry. It makes you almost ashamed to wear one.

I don't think you've gone totally over the top until you start buying your furry friends Santa hats and scarves. Jim almost has us to that point. Tater and Fenny have their own stockings with their names on them and they aren't just for looks. Jim actually puts stuff in them on Christmas eve! I once had REAL working dogs. Now, I feel like I just have rather hairy children.

The Jim Carrey version of Grinch doesn't have Max, the Grinch's dog, in the role of co-star. My grandchildren want to see MAX. Everyone wants to see things work out for poor Max. :-)Kay*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Kay, I've been boycotting diamonds for years - sadly, nobody's noticed. But i especially won't wear diamond chips or tiny diamonds.

Midland City, AL

Thankfully, pearls are Kay’s weakness. It is nice to have a woman who is content with a grain of sand and hardened oyster slobber. I think our engagement ring is the only diamond she owns. I would be a little upset if she refused to wear that. Maybe, I did get snagged in the De Bers marketing net, but still….. I didn’t know before I listened in to Kay’s book that the ‘tradition” of giving a diamond engagement ring as part of betrothal was just a well orchestrated and very successful marketing strategy by the De Beers Group. Very few people remember when it wasn’t just the way you were supposed to do things.

It could be that giving a romantic gift like a diamond ring has a practical side. It will make up for the fact that, in later years, your wife gets Christmas gifts like a new computer system or a new dishwasher. LOL. Maybe, she will ignore any suspicions that hubby is tired of working on the old dishwasher and having to do dishes himself when the repairs don’t go well. She would be convinced the new computer system was really for her benefit. The fact that all the computers in the house being able to link would make things easier on her husband never crosses her mind. He would never be so self-centered. After all, he did buy her that beautiful diamond. (Jim).

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey Ya'll, Jim and Kay, you are so funny. I love to hear you pick on each other. My very redneck hubs gave me a screw driver, a wrench, a box cutter, and a pair of heavy scissors he bought at Lowes for my birthday. All very useful items indeed but not very romantic. However, he picked me another bouquet of flowers at the river today and brought them home in his worm bucket ( the old chitterling bucket). He said most of them were killed by frost but these were under a branch of a tree and were still blooming. Of course since he was fishing and caught a good mess of white perch he cooked fish for supper so that gave me the night off. About Diamonds, I have never been a girly girl but more of a tom boy so I never wanted a diamond. I have more useful things I can do with my money. I told the hubs never to buy me jewelry because a guy who buys a woman wrenches for her birthday just might buy a gaudy piece of jewelry. But since I know about the horrors of the industry I certainly would not wear one. Even if I could afford one. I would rather have a plant for the yard. I think those are the gifts that keep on giving.

Vickie, It sounds like you put alot of work into decorating and I would bet it is beautiful. I hope your family appreciates the effort. Some people have no idea the trouble we go to decorating, wrapping gifts, and preparing a meal. They just come in and eat, get their gifts and go home. My girls are learning now that they are getting older but some inlaws on my side of the family have not. I have a friend who I have decided is pretty smart she just says I don't know how to cook and do all that stuff. They just go to someone elses house to eat and open their gifts. She gets them all wrapped at the store and she just shows up and sits and talks while we all do the last minute cooking. Why did I not think of that. Oh and her hubs does the cleaning too. All she does is her laundry and work everyday. Must be nice. However, I love my family and want to do it all to please them it just takes more energy than it once did. Goodnight all, Love and Prayers,scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello, I got a speech recognition program as a Christmas gift from a darling mother. Now I can say whatever I want as long I want without having to backspace and correct. Usually each Time it takes me half an hour to post. Now I'll be going on and on and on and on and on and on. I can just collect all my posts and make the Great American novel. I'm happy! I really am laughing with joy!

That's great!!! Looking forward to listening to you go on and on and on...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

lol.....

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, You need a brand new thread to go on and on with.
Hopefully i'm starting one.
Go here
http://davesgarden.comcommunity/forums/t/1065184/

This message was edited Dec 27, 2009 11:51 PM

LMK if this don't work. i can't check with my puter.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2009 11:53 PM

Midland City, AL

try this link
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1065184/
lets try it with my system.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.