Growing Lavender in Tropical zone....need suggestion..THANKs

Suan Phung, Ratchabu, Thailand(Zone 11)

Then you can see the cut off
A : Eng bud from bangkok plant
B : Eng cut from bangkok plant (due to overwatering, i guess)
C: Eng cut, i've got from capetown, SA last two years, when my family were there.
D: Dentala bud, i've got from Royal project, nothern part of Thailand this early year.

Thumbnail by iamstar

And they are Dentala, at Suan phung... pic 1/2

Thumbnail by iamstar

Another pic of Eng lavender at bangkok (but the same plant as the above#8042500)

Thumbnail by iamstar

Dentala at suan phung, pic 2/2

Thumbnail by iamstar

Can anyone confirm my understanding of the plant get 'brown' and leave get 'gray', not green. Thanks in advance.

test

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Hi iamstar, i have no clue about lavender, but i think thats normal. but i am not sure, as i have never personally grown lavender.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure about the brown part but the gray part I think is true.

noonamah, Australia

I've seen lots of lavender with greyish or silvery leaves.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Iamstar, If I understand your question correctly, yes that is normal. As the plant matures the base becomes woody and the leaves that no longer get sun die. I was told by a grower that you should NOT cut back to that mature growth, as it won't regenerate.
Hope this helps.

Thanks all, I will be waiting for the end of monsoon season (Oct onwards), and let see the new growth or die forever...THANKS AGAIN.

This coming weekend, I am going to see my lavender yard at SuanPhung, there are some flowers (dentala type). I have to wait until dry-weather and will start to first prune them off (trial for some plant).

Xai Xai, Mozambique

good luck, and let us know how they look! even though i have no lavender, i find this thread very interesting!
isaac

you are all my partner to establish 'lavender filed' in THAILAND...

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

I believe if you can grow Rosemary, then you'll find the same conditions are perfect for lavender. I've tried lavender quite a few times, but have never been successful in getting it established. Wish I could as I love the fragrance and flowers. Just curious.......have you tried to grow lemon verbena in your climate?

Question and need suggestion :

What happend to this Eng Lavender (effect only 2-3 plants from other).

Additional info : Planted on raised bed, with rock/sand.
More often raining, stop manual watering.
Almost 1year old for this plant.
Temp between 20-27 c, mild humid.
Other Eng and French (dentala) are fine, not effect.

Thumbnail by iamstar

Other Eng Lavender seedling,

Thumbnail by iamstar

The French (Dentala) are just fine and flowering even we've got raining. (how come!)...

Thumbnail by iamstar

If you see the picture that posted around Apr-May (summer season in Thailand), this plant look good, but after get raining, they look 'grey'. Suggest and comment, please. Thanks.

Answer to bedouin, thanks for your comment, we never try lemon verbena by the way... we would need to breaking the record of 'growing lavender in South East Asia....That's fun and challenge....thanks anyway for cheer...

Xai Xai, Mozambique

um, not a clue iamstar! maybe dave (metrisoderos) can help us. i have seen him lately, wonder where he has disappeared to???
Dave?? you there?
isaac

If this cause from either Pythium or Fusarium , how should we , how to remove and protect...thank you.

From close to far;
My Dam and creek,
My cottage and
the farest is my lavender nursery house.......

Just to share for you....

Thank you...

Thumbnail by iamstar
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

That is beautiful, iamstar!

noonamah, Australia

Is that a wet season photo? Do you still have that much water in the dry season?

Answer to 'tropicbreeze',

During July-Oct is our monsoon season, it's rainy day. Yes, that photo had been taken around Aug this year, it's only starting point of rainy season. Last two weeks, there are much more rain at the border of Thailand/Myanmar (Burma), and the wild water came a ton down hill to the creek.

Unfortunately, Last Saturday I went to see and found that, my dam already broke cause from the wild water which destroy the bank of the dam,

My purpose of this dam to save the water during dry period (Nov-May)... i have to fix it soon....

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 9:54 AM

FYI,
Dam was built by put more than 100 Tons of mountain rock, and Filling holes with portland cement..The dam itself very strong, but the bank was poor, I have to build more stronger the bank....

The pond WxLxH = 8mx60mx1.7m that can contain the water more than 100,000 litre.... The stronger bank will rebuild after we pass the heavy rain/water this season....will cost that much...again.. LOL..

from last week picture,

All the big rock under the the wild water and you can see my worker standing on the top of the dam, the water raised over his knee (compare the previous picture, that we can see the top of the dam). The water widely and strongly down hill, my neighbor were facing the same problem, the poor dam are destroyed.

Thumbnail by iamstar

another picture of lastweek (all rock are under the water)...

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 9:44 AM

pic2

Thumbnail by iamstar

pic3

Thumbnail by iamstar

pic 4 (before destroy) the water speed before dam 10sec/10 m., but after the dam 3sec/10 m.

Thumbnail by iamstar

Can anyone comment and suggest regarding
Post #8111327
September 21, 2010
04:08 PM

THANKSSSSS

noonamah, Australia

I also have a dam, but it's not part of my creek. Surface run off water from part of my property goes into it. It doesn't hold water during the dry season, the soil type isn't good for that. The dimensions are 28 metres by 30 metres and 5 metres deep.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

That lovely, tropicbreeze...

noonamah, Australia

Thanks. It's nice when full. But at the moment it's dry and I'm waiting for the wet season to get a start and fill it up.

Can anyone please comment and suggest regarding
Post #8111327
September 21, 2010
04:08 PM

THANKSSSSS

Here are my lavender @bangkok (compare to posted was on Aug 1, up there). They faced very rain and I think they are all died. (pic 1/2)

Thumbnail by iamstar

pic2/2

Thumbnail by iamstar

1 week after sowed....having fun with this plant....

Thumbnail by iamstar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.