Growing Lavender in Tropical zone....need suggestion..THANKs

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

iamstar, just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday. Hope your day is filled with laughter and much joy.

Best Wishes for a long life and much happiness...Moon

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday iamstar!!!

Suan Phung, Ratchabu, Thailand(Zone 11)

THANK YOU everyone for your kind message:-]
September 11th is our dearest STAR's birth day. She is 8 years of age. :-p
STAR would like to express sincerely grateful for your best wishes to her. :-0

Appreciated,
STAR and family.

Quite a while, away from the forum.. wish everyone are okay...

www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

Have a nice day..

Happy NEW YEAR to all of my friend in DG......wishing you / your family have a wonderful moment.......

สวัสดีปีใหม่, iamstar

Dear friends;

TheStarAbove still alive... LoL... Just very busy with the permanent employment, but our lavender are keep growing and flowering..

Wishing everyone have a wonderful day....Those pictures of our lavender are FOR YOU!!!

See more pictures here at www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

Thumbnail by iamstar Thumbnail by iamstar Thumbnail by iamstar Thumbnail by iamstar Thumbnail by iamstar

Bravo! Glad to hear all is going well. The Lavender looks great.

Moon;

Thanks... It's not our proud only that, Thailand (Thai citizen) can grow and made for bloom of this native Mediterranean plant, but it's our proud in DG which many suggests/advises/comment/Cheer up from this valued forum.

We've learnt that, any plant can grow and give us the expected result if we pay more attention, never give up, experiment, trial and error and improve... We can touch and smell our inspiration of this flower.

Grateful,
IamStar

Iamstar,

We all do better with a little help from our friends...good advice and attention to detail makes for great success. I am so pleased that the lavender farm is doing so well.

Nice to see an update. Hope this finds you and your family well and happy.

Best regards,
Moon

Humid harming our lavender....

Sorry to hear that....too much rain and humidity are not conducive to high yields with lavender....fingers crossed you get more drying winds and a little less rain.

Update picture/clips for you, folks...

http://www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

Thank you.

4 years in DG... Thanks everyone..

Laguna, Philippines

Hi everyone! I'm an avid gardener and new to this forum. I'm so happy I found this thread!.

I've had very good success in planting heirloom tomatoes, aubergines, leafy greens and peppers. I've been wanting to grow lavender for several years now because I just love the scent and I imagined how heavenly my house would smell if I have lavender in my backyard. I didn't know it was possible in a tropical country as we have too much rain.

Just to give you a background, I live in the Philippines, with summer temperatures that reach 50°C and about 40 inches of rain in the monsoon season. I used to think that the extreme heat and torrential rain would not let lavender survive until I read this thread. It insipired me to start planting again.

Today, I sowed 50 seeds each of True English Lavender, Munstead and French Lavender. I have also ordered Spanish Eye seeds and I will start sowing them as soon as I get them.

I used a freezer stratification technique that I learned from another thread before sowing. I put the seeds in a little ziploc bag in the freezer for 24 hours and then thawed them. I sowed them in 2.5 x 2.5 seed trays with some gravel at the bottom and soil less seed starting mix on top. I will transplant them into 5 gallon clay pots when they're mature enough.

I'll put an update on this thread as soon as I see some sprouts *fingers crossed*

Wish me luck!

This message was edited Oct 5, 2013 10:19 AM

@jahnnabanana, we wish you success...just one thing from my experiences.. take much time and never give up..

Update picture for you, folks...

http://www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

Thank you.

Laguna, Philippines

Hi again. I just thought I'd give you an update on my lavender planting venture.

My first try with the lavender was not so successful. I got zero germination. I put them under a roof for the first 4 weeks because there were several tropical storms and typhoons in the Philippines. I was so afraid that they would drown in the extra humidity, even though they're under a roof. I think I might have under-watered them. I only watered them twice a week and that was the reason they did not germinate at all.

I tried again last month using the same batches of seeds and I made sure to water them every other day. I'm happy to say that I'm more successful this time. The seedlings are now about 3 inches tall and they all look healthy, with about 4 real leaves on each. I will post pictures soon. I'm just waiting until I get a few more leaves on each seedling, just to make sure they're going to survive.

Happy new year 2014 to everyone who love gardening....wishing you all have happiness both physical and mental. Your wish may come true along with strength and wealth....

STAR said, from the picture..

Thumbnail by iamstar
Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Happy New Year !

So happy to see you here with us !

Thumbnail by BajaBlue

Dear all friends in DGs

Update picture from the farm, this summer they gave us more blooming...Enjoy

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.708956035822352.1073741859.201790816538879&type=1

IamStar
www.TheStarAbove.com

kuala lumpur, Malaysia

dear iamstar...

im so impress with ur effort to plant lavender in thailand..!

however, your lavender farm is in northern thailand right?
it mean that the weather temperate is quite cold right..?

coz im planning to plant lavender in malaysia...
but as usual, malaysia is quite hot and humid all the years...

more to bangkok's weather...

is there any advice or is lavender may grow in the weather?

anyway, no place to grow plantation in kuala lumpur...

it must be in high-hill temperates such as Fraser Hills, Bukit Tinggi, and Cameron Highland.

*sorry for the bad english*

thank you...

Dear brightstarlavan;

Thank you for your message.
Lavender love "dry/sunny and pruning". Our farm is locate in western of Thailand, surrounding mountain range. Less rain is the key to our area.

Visit us here at www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill since we reply more ofthen there, not much often here in DG website. Thank you.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2014 1:12 PM

Happy new year everyone...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.874226905961930.1073741890.201790816538879&type=1

Buriram, Thailand(Zone 11)

As a footnote, I have ONE very spoilt rosemary plant which need a similar situation to lavender and seems more worthwhile in the long term to me. Alcaline soil and some shading. Isaan!

Dear Folks;

Just would like to say hi and sharing our update seasonal/flower/activities for you., Enjoy and take care..

https://www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

This message was edited Mar 25, 2015 11:58 AM

Album as of Mar2015

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.921766191208001.1073741894.201790816538879&type=1

This message was edited Mar 25, 2015 11:59 AM

Pekanbaru, Indonesia

Hi iamstar,

Could you tell what went wrong with my lavender by looking at the photos? This lavender had just pass away 3 months ago, i just want to know what went wrong so that i can avoid it in the future. Hope that you can give me some advice.

By the way I am situated in Pekanbaru a city in Riau province of Indonesia. We have a tropical rainforest climate here with average highest temperature of 30C and an average lowest temperature of 23C. We have summer all year round and we only have wet and dry season throughout the year. Humidity level is high here with around the range of 60% to 98%. I am in low lying area, therefore it is extremely hot here.

Planting lavender may be a challenge here, but don't know for some reason i just want to keep on trying.

I am looking forward for your reply

Thankyou!

Thumbnail by AngDaoNi Thumbnail by AngDaoNi
Omaruru, Namibia

Hi Iamstar,
great experience you're living there. Any updates?
I'm also trying to establish a lavender field but in a semidesert area in Namibia.
https://www.facebook.com/kranzberglavenderfields

Liviu

Thumbnail by Kranzberg

Dear AngDaoNi : INA; Sorry for late reply. If you see the brown at base of the plants, that's mean to much water for them, (need only moist, well drain and more sun ). Hope this help. ...

Dear Kranzberg, Namibia; Good to see your project from facebook. Wish all the success may come..

Update farm's picture and more here.. www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

have a great day to everyone...

Thumbnail by iamstar

Hi...everyone ...

Update picture from the farm... https://www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill/

Harmony is the key that our country need. Love you all..

(Zone 11)

Iamstar You are my inspiration, I live in a subtropical weather too (Dominican Republic), 2 months ago I star with a lavender seedlings, they are small but growing, like you, I keep my finger crossed! I have for now 200 seedling growing very well.
I think I must wait 6 months to transplant, I had receive some L.Dentata seeds form DG member, some germinate well in one month, still in cotyledons. :)

Thanks!

Thumbnail by ecotarianosrd Thumbnail by ecotarianosrd Thumbnail by ecotarianosrd

Quote from ecotarianosrd :
Iamstar You are my inspiration, I live in a subtropical weather too (Dominican Republic), 2 months ago I star with a lavender seedlings, they are small but growing, like you, I keep my finger crossed! I have for now 200 seedling growing very well.
I think I must wait 6 months to transplant, I had receive some L.Dentata seeds form DG member, some germinate well in one month, still in cotyledons. :)

Thanks!

Dear ecotarianosrd :

Happy New Year... Thank you...I'd been inspired from other, and you get the connect to me from the heart of loving to LVD. I cheer up all you did, and be patient.
[/quote]

Happy new Year to all DG member...

https://www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

(Zone 11)

Thanks! My lavenders are growing well, and the L. Pinnata are flowering, waiting to see the grosso and angustifolia blooming.

Quote from ecotarianosrd :
Thanks! My lavenders are growing well, and the L. Pinnata are flowering, waiting to see the grosso and angustifolia blooming.

... Congratulation my LVD folk.... Share us some pictures....

This message was edited May 24, 2017 10:42 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.