Growing Lavender in Tropical zone....need suggestion..THANKs

Suan Phung, Ratchabu, Thailand(Zone 11)

correction

OLD : but the roof is 80 can be lightened
NEW : but the roof is more than 80% can be lightened

Dear all;

While waiting for lavender grow up. Last month, we sowed the 'sunnhemp' (Crotalaria juncea L.) to my land yard. You can see that, the tourists were stoping by and shooting the camera. This was starting bloom about 3 weeks, and still keep bloom and bye (drop).

Thumbnail by iamstar

More pic

Thumbnail by iamstar

One more pic

Thumbnail by iamstar
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Iamstar. That is a beautiful picture of your land.

All;

I found out that, your area is located either upper 20+++ N or lower 20+++S, that much cooler than we lived here, which is about 13N. Not sure, should lavender can grow but worry about blooming. Can anyone advise, pls.

Thanks.

noonamah, Australia

I'm about 12S and that's why I didn't think it would do any good for you. It doesn't grow here. Some mediterranean plants behave strangely here. I grew radish and left some to go to seed. Then I read that it wouldn't flower in my climate but would grow. Mine just grew larger and larger until they turned into shrubs. The roots became like wood, but they never flowered up til they died. I don't know what lavender will do, but since you have the plants already I'm hoping you'll tell us. The length of day is important to many plants.

tropicbreeze : SURE, I will keep monitoring and let everyone know even good or bad situation. I think you and I (are us) can be a couterpart to 'experiment' this lavender plant. I have one thing can motivate and inspiring myself is, there were (not 'are') lavender bloom in THAILAND, mostly people who grow didn't know the detail of taking care this plant (which need less care). They over watering and not protect in the heavy rain. One area in nothern part of THAILAND call 'Royal project' belong to our HM Royal family, there are agricultural scientist taking the 'lavender project' up there. I and he also share the knowledge as well.

PS. I am an IT guy, still working in BANGKOK at normal working day/hour. Growing lavender still one in my hobby but I am taking seriously for this project, Thanks and nice to talk to you...

noonamah, Australia

Quite a few people from here go to Thailand and bring back plants. They say the climate is similar around Bangkok and what grows there will grow here. Just that your wet season is our dry season, and vice versa. I know about the Royal Family there being very interested in horticulture, but I think most Thai people are the same and usually try to keep good gardens.

I have to go away from home to work, but my work is out in the bush. My home is closer to Darwin but still far enough away from the city.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

you have a beautiful property, iamstar! i really hope your lavender flowers, they are such lovely plants. i have tried several times, but they always end up dying. :-(
My best friend is also into IT, can't say i am any good at it.
Isaac

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

What a beautiful piece of land you have iamstar, and no wonder the tourists were taking pictures of those fields of gold, they are just gorgeous!

Jenn

Keaau, HI

Beautiful place Iamstar! Your land looks very similar to areas around Hana, Maui.

Dear all;

Last Sat/Sun (Oct 31, Nov1), I went to my yard (Suan Phung, Ratchaburi) again to see my seedling. Grasshopper eat my 3 seedling, my labour already killed them and monitor in night time, we also cover with plastic net. No more grasshopper, I hope.

Most of my seedling go very well, I can say that, better than while they were in Bangkok.

I observed that, we have two kind of seedling. Can anyone please adivse to me, which seedling be stronger than (purple at base of the plant, pic 1, 2) or (white at base of the plant pic 3, 4). I am not sure which one is stronger than. Thanks in advance.

Pic 1, with purple at base (French)

Thumbnail by iamstar

Pic 2, with purple at base (Munstead)

Thumbnail by iamstar

Pic 3, with White/purple at base (French)

Thumbnail by iamstar

Pic 4, with White at base (Munstead)....THANKS.

Thumbnail by iamstar

hello...can anyone please help to suggest, which picture is be stronger 1 and 2 or 3 and 4...thanks

noonamah, Australia

From the photos all I can see is that no. 1 seems to be growing the strongest. But you probably need to be looking at a lot of each of them, and let them get a bit bigger. Just looking at one individual won't give you a real good indication.

Good advice, Tropicbreeze. It is not realistic to judge the growth habits of a plant species based on the growth of a couple seedlings. You need to give the seedlings a chance to mature some and then look at the group of each species/variety as a whole, Imastar.

Dear all;

Wish everything okay for you guys...

How to protect the kind of worm? My worker called and report me that, there are worm eat some of my seedling from top to bottom of stem... I am going to see them tomorrow and will keep you post (may be I will take some pic)...

Thank and see you next week.

UPDATE:

Guys; I've got bad and good news,

My seedling are dying by 'worm', see picture ... (i already sprayed for eradicate that worm, the small green and eat the leaf, and the black one i beleive it's what the worm made it, but i dont' know what is it. Can you please advise... This plant still working since I trimmed some burned leaf off. Wish me luck.

The another difficulty is that from 'root rot' and 'damp off'. My worker gave overwatering, cause my 80 seedling are going to die. I asked her to stop watering and move to new pot, if the root still strong. Let's see next week.

These are my bad news last weekend..... (worm and root rot)...

Thanks.

Thumbnail by iamstar

Here is my good news.
There are some 60+ seedling still alive, with a little effected from root rot and worm. I gave them trimed off some burned leaf as well as stop overwatering. This is the strongest plant. This plant is inspiring to me and motivate me to 'keep try' and 'never give up'. Therefore, in BKK yesterday eve, I sow another 600 seeds ....

Cheer!....

THANKS. for any advise, welcome...

Thumbnail by iamstar
noonamah, Australia

Is there any agricultural department you can ask to find out what that worm is and how best to get rid of it?

Yes, there is. I have a guy who working for 'royal project' and very familiar with lavender, but he is 700 KM far away from my yard. In my local, certainly there is agricultural speicilist, i do believe they can give me some advise, but we need to contact them at office hour, remember that, my yard is far 200 KM from my hometown (BKK) and I still work permanently in IT. Ha ha..

I will check week after this and let see the result after i sprayed some chemical to ridding of the worm (as well as root rot)...

Thank you very much...(sorry, i forgot to take a pic of worm, next week i will).

noonamah, Australia

Yes, I know what it's like to be a long way out. My home is 260 kms from my work. I do 10 days at work and then get 4 days off at home. It can make life complicated.

Question :

I plant my seedling in 3-4 inches pot. What is the best way of watering that alway mention 'deeply', but not often.

I will (from now on) water only once a week, but still don't know how to 'deeply' . I will pour the water at the surface of mix soil, but how much of water per one pot. (seedling tall 2-4 cm).

THANKS in advance.

more info regarding "Soil+Sand+Stone (4+8+1),

Soil for planting=4 unit
Coarse Sand= 8 unit
0.5 inch round stone=1 unit (full hands)

this formular help a better drainage, but I think I will put more sand.

Question :

I plant my seedling in 3-4 inches pot. What is the best way of watering that alway mention 'deeply', but not often.

I will (from now on) water only once a week, but still don't know how to 'deeply' . I will pour the water at the surface of mix soil, but how much of water per one pot. (seedling tall 2-4 cm).

THANKS in advance.

noonamah, Australia

If you're coming into the dry season now you need to make sure they don't dry out too much. Adult plants can recover from a bit of drying but seedlings aren't so resilient.

That guy working on the royal project, can you telephone him for advice? It seems he'd be the one to give you the best advice.

Imastar, here I start my seedlings much as you have, but the pots all sit in trays so that they can be watered from the bottom...water goes into the tray to be absorbed by the roots....excess water is drained off when the top of the soil is damp. This helps to keep the stems from damping off. I am not sure if that method would work for you with the many plants you have, but may be worth trying.

Vacoas, Mauritius

Are you growing them in cocount coir? --> http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/iamstar_1257132845_879_tn.jpg

I have been researching a bit on growing Lavender in tropical regions.. I'll soon acquire some seeds :)

tropicbreeze : thanks for sharing.
themoonhowl : thanks for sharing, question , is your seedling 'lavender' or else, because levender don't like 'wet fee', i'm not sure the way to water from the bottom, pls advise further,...thanks.
Rikesh, i sown on peat moss, after germinated I transplant them into 3 inches pot with mix San+Soil+stone...(Post #7285545)...

UPDATE : the weather here in my yard is now very good, windy and temp at day 14-20C, at night 8-14 C.

In the beginning of OCT, I have almost 200 seedling. The almost died because;

1. Worm
2. Wet feet/damp off

Now remain 35 seedling...

Still keep monitoring and sow more 1000 seeds again.

Wish me luck...
THANKS.

Hi all;

Any once would please suggest on the soil formular....Thanks.

Keaau, HI

Use sterilized native soil. Peat is too wet.

Are you growing Lavandula dentata? Lavandula officinalis is the wrong species for your area!

Metrosideros; from my knowledge (which is very tiny).

I have French Lavender which is Lavandula dentata, am I correct? Yesterday I transplant this one seedling to the real place, hopefully she will grow up well.

I also have Munstead, Hidcotte and English lavender. I don't know exatctly 'Lavandula officinalis' you mean, please advise more.

THANKS>

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

iamstar, I think the types you mention are for colder climates - we grow all those in England which is much cooler. I think the lavender you need are more the types that are grown around the Mediterrean area.

Whoops! Just read where Dave suggested the Med type. Try googling French lavender or Spanish lavender...

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 7:08 PM

yes, sure I plant the french type now. It seem to be okay...

Keep monitoring and will keep you post for sure.

THANKS.

First of all, i would like to say merry x mas and happy new 2010 year to all of you, (I will be traveling abroad) and may see all of you again at 2010. Thank you and please accept my appreciation on your suggesion/advise/idea/comment......wishing you/your family having the excellent healthy/wealthy through this coming Tiger year, ........

...Beauty like a tiger's eye...
...soft like when she walk...
...aggressive when need...
...calm and alway charming...

iamstar...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.