Fall foliage photos

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Fall is here for me, and is either here for you also, or coming shortly. I'm not sure we ever did have summer, but that's another topic. ;)

While you are out admiring the beautiful fall colors, maybe you can take your camera and snap a couple shots for PlantFiles? Fall foliage is something that we don't always get represented in the PlantFile entries, and it would be wonderful if we could work on that together. We are always excited for the spring renewal, and snap many photos of the new growth, but by the time fall rolls around, we're tired and not so much in the mood anymore. Since we really didn't have much of a summer this year, I'm not so tired, and I'm still in the mood for fall photos. Are you?

Thanks!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Things still very green and growing here. While we have had a night or two of chilly temps, night time temps havn't dropped cool enough, long enough to trigger any color change. Fall colors are roughly three to four weeks away. Give or take!

http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/9584/default.aspx#

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We are getting down into the 40's at night, I think our early fall colors are somewhat drought related.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's the beginnings in St Louis.
Just a single leaf of a hamamellis x intermedia Jelena has decided it's fall.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And another single leaf of a loropetalum agrees.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Just drove back from Canton OH to central KY, via I-77 in eastern OH. There are the occasional Acer rubrum showing color south of I-70, and a smattering of Liriodendron tulipifera popping yellow amongst the crowd of green.

(Zone 5b)

Ours have not quite popped yet, either...a few trees starting to turn. It's cooler this week.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Does a Lespedeza in full fall color count. Temp. yesterday 75 degrees, this morning 37 and predicted to only get into the 50s the rest of the week . I think frost is imminent. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is one of the few branches on Parrotia persica that decided fall is here. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

And here is a branch of Amelanchier Forest Prince. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks! I hope you will both consider adding your photos to PlantFiles.

My fall project is to get as many fall photos as I can to add to the PlantFile entries. It froze hard here last night, so the foliage is going to be changing fast and furious now. I have to get the photos quickly once they start to change, because if we get a big wind, the leaves are removed from the trees in one big swoop and I've missed my chance.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

One of my personal favorites: Nyssa sylvatica!

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

passiflora_pink, Lovely Nyssa sylvatica. I have a small, 6 or 6 year old one. It has never showed nice fall color. Wish it would. Donna

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

These are the first trees to turn in the fall, in our area, beginning in October. This one is in my neighborhood and was taken last year, I think. The fact that everything turns red at once and that the tree has a symmetrical form makes it one of my favorite.

I have a couple of these trees in my yard but none as pretty as this one.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Acer saccharum 'Barrett Cole' (Apollo™). Apollo™ Sugar Maple

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

dybbuk, Lovely Maple. I guess we won't have much of any color here, Three nights of mid-teens is way too cold for this time of year. The leaves are frozen now.

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Maple trees in front of house, Autumn 2007.

Thumbnail by JustMe48
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ginkgo biloba 'dingaling'

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ginkgo biloba 'ross moore'

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

closeup of 'ross moore'

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

dybbuk, Very nice photos of the Ginkgos. I have a small one that Kenton sent me in 2006. It is about 24" tall now, but our severe early freeze of 2 weeks ago froze all its leaves. In fact very little fall color in my garden because of the very early unusual freeze.
Donna

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Dybbuk--Wonderful lto see those Ginkgos--thanks for posting the photos

Here's a little New England color from this week...a nice Acer rubrum.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Fall foliage 'flecting on a pond - maples, beetlebungs, beech, hickory...

A very content Enkianthus...

How 'bout some blueberry?

Finally, a solo Acer japonicum.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous fall photos! I love fall. :)

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful color, VV...but you had to go north to find it! Wonder why we still have so much green? Or maybe it's just my little pocket over here in the flatlands.

Great photos. Love that last one.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I took some pictures yesterday of the colors in my yard. Here's one of my ancient Sugar Maples with a Burning Bush in the foreground.

Thumbnail by pastime
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I took a picture from under the Sugar Maple's canopy.

Thumbnail by pastime
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Last one. A Kousa Dogwood off the NE corner of the house.

Thumbnail by pastime
(Zone 5b)

LOVE these pics! I'll try to get some today!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Gold Rush'

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ginkgo biloba 'sunstream'. The "release"....

Thumbnail by dybbuk

dybbuk:

Are you saying that they got the "drop" on you?

Here's some more NE sunshine...Three Flower Maple.

Nashville, TN

It's been a beautiful fall in Middle Tennessee. Here is a picture of our farm yard near Dickson. The leaves on the ground are from a sugar maple. There are native dogwoods and a sycamore along the fence with loblolly pines in the background.

Thumbnail by eastpiney2000
Nashville, TN

Here's another view of the farm yard. The large maple (about 80 years old) is to the left, a 150 year old beech in the center, then a sycamore, and some native dogwoods. The little log building is the spring house.

Thumbnail by eastpiney2000
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Soooooo pretty!!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A.p. Oshio beni.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.