CLOSED: Free Seed For Newbies! 8/14/09. Come Join Us!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1025275/

Directions for Free Seeds here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Welcome newbies!!!

Thumbnail by cue_chik
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

WOW! Love that purple. Is that a real picture?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

if anyone is interested, i have a recipe for homemade brug fertilizer. ive used this now with really good results.

Cue's recipe for Liquid Brug Fertilizer:

12 oz can of beer (use he cheapy stuff)
1 c. Epsom Salts
1/2 c. Household Ammonia
1/2 c. Unsulphured Molasses
4 Tbs. Miracle Grow
3 Tbs. Hydrogen Peroxide
2 c. Hot Tap Water.

*optional ingredients: 12 drops Tea Tree oil (anti microbial properties)

directions;

Dissolve Epsom salts in Hot tap water. Add remaining ingredients. mix thoroughly. Store in container with lid.

add 1 Tbs per gallon of water. feed 1 - 2 times weekly. can also be used for foliage feeding.

This makes one batch and is enough to last several months when stored in air tight container.

just wanted to share this with everyone... as it is very inexpensive to make. I made a quart of this stuff for less than what 4 oz of store bought liquid fertilzer would cost... cant beat that! And at only 1 Tbs per gallon.. you can imagine how long it lasts.. and the potential savings!

This message was edited Aug 14, 2009 11:33 AM

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

yup.. that is a real pic. Its a garden somewhere in Holland

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

does anyone here quilt?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love it. Thanks for sharing your secret fertilizer recipe - lol. We might need it!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

My grandma does - lol.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

well, its a fact that brugs are very heavy feeders.. and trying to keep one plant alone happy on store bought fertilizer can become pricey, let alone several plants... gets down right expensive. So i use this formula (Most brug Collectors use this type of fertilizer, customized individually, but all have the same basic ingredients) otherwise, you'll go broke trying to feed your hungry brugs...LOL

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

and Flower - I got a 'Salmon Perfection' sprout!!!!! im so darned excited now!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

What is miracle grow?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

*doh* KT2.. you know.. Miracle grow.... the plant fertilizer...LOL. you can buy small bags of it at garden centers... uts usuallt that blu granualted water soluable stuff... if not, you can substitute with Shultz Liquid All purpose fertilizer.. comes in a small bottle and its usually about $4

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh I am so happy for you cue. Glad they did something. Loca miracle grow is a fertilizer that you can buy at Walmart or any garden center.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh we cross posted cue LOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks cue and flower - lol.

I am totally organic so had forgotten about those other fertilizers . . .

loca

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

well, Miracle gro does also have an oganic line, if that siuyts you better.. you can buy it to add to your recipe instead.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'll have to check that out. I'm partial to fish poo and bat guano - lol.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

HI Everyone. Cue I'm sorry they turned you down hope the next one you submit is accepted.
Seray thanks for the d mail and I'll post my addition to the winner's pot when I'm sure what I can to offer is possible. If it's not, I have a back up LOL
Mekos I received the datura seeds from you today thank you very much. Hope the dr appt went well.
Thanks Cue for the recipe. Does it matter which MG product you use? There's one for tomatoes, all purpose, roses etc.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Mindy - you can use either the all purpose or the tomato food.

Loca.. you can use fish poo in MG's place.

Mekos.. got my seeds today as well thanks you!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeah for fish poo!

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

cue that receipe sounds like you could use it on just about anything.?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I would think so, flower.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Oh good if I can use fish poo I'm all set there since I have some here already.

I get out of painting the bathroom floor a second time. GRIN DH does NOT like my painting and told me he would do it himself.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

yup.. you can,tho not as often as you would use it ona brug. tho ive heard NOT to use it on Morning Glories.. dunno.. high amount of a particular nutrient maybe?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Maybe because they try to take over the world enough without fertilizer? ROTFL!

I use my fish poo every 2 weeks on things that aren't heavy feeders. Weekly on heavy feeders . . .

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

add your fish poo tot he recipe above and use it as your Brug fertilizer... bet they grow leaps that way.. and where does one get 'fish poo'?

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Fish poo can be found at WM and Lowes both

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Most places have it - sold as fish emulsion. One of the nurseries by me has a great one called "Fish & Poop" that is fish emulsion and bat guano. It's great. Check the NPK numbers because they are all different.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi guys! Well as hard as it has been, I kept my promise to stay indoors today. With the exception of feeding the horses and walking to the mailbox. But I have tomorrow all plotted out >:-)

Mekos! Got my seeds today, TYVM. Will plant asap. I was looking at your daylilies in your trading list. Do you really have that many to trade? If so, you need to hook a sista up! LOL I have lots to trade back if you're interested and don't have what I do. I am working on my spreadsheet and adding to my "have list" Will let you all know when it's done. See next thread from me...

Mindy! Got your envy today and your phlox will be on it's way asap. This might sound dumb, but what part of the plant do I send you? I don't really see any dried seed pods or anything. ??? (scratching my blonde head)

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

OK, here is my next project, when I am done with the lasagna bed.. We just started putting up our fence and my hubby said I could plant whatever I wanted (good thing cause I was going to anyway, lol) and I was trying to figure out what to plant. Something non-invasive that won't hang in the street, won't poison people or horses, and low maintenance. Then it hit me this morning- Daylilies! How cool would this look with all different colors of daylilies? There are so many different colors, I think it would be awesome.. I would have to plant the same day so they would bloom at the same time. Feedback and/or suggestions, please!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

HI Mechelle

Daylilies would be beautiful! There's many different varieties and some bloom early, some mid summer, late and re-bloomers. A nice mix would keep you in blooms from spring to fall. Easy to propagate. Check out the daylily forum for some beauties. Sometimes people clean out their beds and will have extras. There's probably a lily auction somewhere. You could start a lasagna bed for them and you'd have a nice bed of color before you know it. :)

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

well.. my backyard is now officially.. a waterway!

its been a downpour here in Palm Coast since 1 pm this afternoon.. not letting up one bit. All local streets have now flooded and are impassable if you drive anything other than a large SUV. They are urging residents not to drive right now.

Back yard is so flooded, that its now spellied over onto my back patio.. about the only thing NOT underwater right now, its the lasagna bed. however, the rest looks like a small lake and I have gobs of Red Mulch floating all over the place! My poor brug will need to be brought under the patio to be able to dry out a couple of days....

This message was edited Aug 14, 2009 4:34 PM

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

mechelle.. if that aint a picturesque road in the country.. then i dont know what is! Gorgeous... and daylilies would be beautiful in that spot!

FL floods are the pits. I found fish in my back yard one summer after a heavy downpour. I gathered them up and put them in my pond 3 acres away. ?????

Mechelle: Here's the Lily auction site: http://daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi Hide your credit card! LOL

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Look at this one I took last fall of the road headed north of my driveway

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Ok, I'm excited now (big cheesy smile) Daylilies it is! Wait 'til you guys see the REST of my future projects. Cue, I absolutely love it here. California doesn't even exist anymore as far as I'm concerned, lol.. I would like to plant a couple of Palm trees at the entrance of the driveway, though. Just to remind me of where I came from..

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh, Mechelle! Put the palms in a big 'ol pot . . . You don't want to risk ruining that beautiful land you have there - lol.

Kelly

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

OMG (picking my jaw off the desk) I am so in trouble.. That sight is awesome, Seray!

Check out Trish's bid on the Brug sprout off thread. LOL

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL, have 'em, na na na na na

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Here you go Mechelle I went and read up on how to take cuttings of you phlox.
InstructionsThings You'll Need:
Rooting powder Shallow container Sand or vermiculite Plastic bag
Step 1Take cuttings from the tops of branches that are flowering. Cut a 6- to 8-inch length of stem that has at least four sets of leaves. Remove the flower.

Step 2Dip the cuttings into rooting powder.

Step 3Put cuttings into rooting medium. Fill a shallow container with 4 to 5 inches of sand or vermiculite. Water well but do not soak. Insert the eraser end of a pencil into the medium to make a hole. Insert the cutting into the prepared hole and firm the sand or vermiculite around the cutting so it stands up by itself.

Step 4Insert the entire container into a plastic bag, but do not seal it. (This is to provide extra humidity to the cuttings.) If excessive condensation forms on the inside of the plastic bag, remove the container of cuttings to help prevent mold or fungal diseases.

Step 5Wait approximately four to six weeks. To test whether a cutting has rooted, pull on it gently. If it has formed roots, it will resist a gentle tug. Plant rooted cuttings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.